Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Roger Goodell's contract extended

SC_RedskinsFan

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7502396/roger-goodell-gets-extension-2018-season

NEW YORK -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has had his contract extended through the 2018 season.

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank, who is the chairman of the NFL Compensation Committee, made the announcement Wednesday.

"I speak on behalf of 32 NFL club owners in saying we are fortunate to have Roger Goodell as our commissioner," Blank said in a statement. "Since becoming commissioner in 2006, the NFL -- already the leader in professional sports -- has gotten even stronger. As evidenced by this contract extension, we have great confidence in Roger's vision and leadership of the NFL. Our clubs, players and fans could not ask for a better CEO."

The league says a resolution was approved at a December owners meeting to negotiate an extension with Goodell, who took over for Paul Tagliabue in 2006. His original five-year contract was extended in 2009.

"It is a privilege for me to serve the NFL," Goodell said in the statement. "It is the only place I have ever wanted to work. I am grateful for the contributions and counsel of NFL owners in managing our league, the talented staff that supports us, and the players and coaches that perform their magic on the field. It is truly a team effort. I am eagerly looking ahead to the challenge of building on our momentum and doing all we can to improve our game for the fans and everyone that is part of our league."

The 52-year-old Goodell oversaw a 4½-month lockout last year, but a new 10-year collective bargaining agreement with the players' union was reached in late July, and only one preseason game was canceled. The NFL then had one of its most successful seasons. [/Quote]

Looks like 5 more years of the No Fun League......

It is sad how so many football fans can be so uninformed or misled about the National Football League and how it operates. :doh: Goodell has done a great job not allowing players to tarnish the league, something that most fans had been asking for for years during Paul Tagliabue's tenure. almost every single on the field issue: rules, punishments, and fines have nothing to do Goodell. Yet, the uninformed keep blaming him for the decisions and actions of others. It is really sad. I, for one, hope that he gets another extension come 2018.

It is sad how so many football fans can be so uninformed or misled about the National Football League and how it operates. :doh: Goodell has done a great job not allowing players to tarnish the league, something that most fans had been asking for for years during Paul Tagliabue's tenure. almost every single on the field issue: rules, punishments, and fines have nothing to do Goodell. Yet, the uninformed keep blaming him for the decisions and actions of others. It is really sad. I, for one, hope that he gets another extension come 2018.

Yes, he has done a great job cleaning up the image of the league and bringing downs stiffer punishments for the idiots in the league. But, in the same vein, he deserves every right to be criticized for the way he has handled "player saftey." Yes, concussions and saftey are an issue, and it needed to be dealt with. However, Goddell has gone entirely too far the opposite direction. The "defenseless receivers" calls are as wildly inconsistent as they are completely ridiculous. Helmet-to-helmet calls should still be enforce when it's a HIT, not a hand grazing the top of a helmet. You can't hit anyone any more. It's absurd and negatively affecting the game.

Most of all Goddell needs to address the horrible-and-deteriorating officiating in the league. When it routinely effects the results of games, it needs to be looked at. It's not just isolated incidents, it's every week, several games are effected by an idiotic call or three.

If you see the 60 Minutes piece on Goodell this week, you'll reconsider any hate and vitriol you harbor towards the man. He works hard to keep the product lucrative, he mingles with the fans and seeks improvement of the game constantly. He is a good man

Not really any reason to hate him. And you can pretty much throw out any accusation of it being a "puff piece", they asked him some pretty good questions about concussions. I would highly recommend any football fan watch this piece.

Yes, he has done a great job cleaning up the image of the league and bringing downs stiffer punishments for the idiots in the league. But, in the same vein, he deserves every right to be criticized for the way he has handled "player saftey." Yes, concussions and saftey are an issue, and it needed to be dealt with. However, Goddell has gone entirely too far the opposite direction. The "defenseless receivers" calls are as wildly inconsistent as they are completely ridiculous. Helmet-to-helmet calls should still be enforce when it's a HIT, not a hand grazing the top of a helmet. You can't hit anyone any more. It's absurd and negatively affecting the game.

Most of all Goddell needs to address the horrible-and-deteriorating officiating in the league. When it routinely effects the results of games, it needs to be looked at. It's not just isolated incidents, it's every week, several games are effected by an idiotic call or three.

This is exactly what the poster you were responding to was saying. You are criticizing Goodell for things that were not set in motion or decided by him. Player safety issues and rules are made, defined, and revised by a committee that Goodell does not sit on, and all rules and issues are passed by the 32 owners, his bosses, voting on them. And, it is time that some people get their heads on straight and realize that the NFL is not the only professional sporting league or association that is taking harder measures to reduce concussions. Hell, even high school and middle school leagues have stepped up their measures in all sports. It is part of a changing world, not just part of changing professional football.

Once again, the officiating is a separate department and committee. The owners are the ones that choose to not have the officials be full time, not Goodell. If your going to criticize, at east learn the ****ing background and truth about the things and people you are criticizing.

I think the main reason Goodell is so great is he is a man of the people. He has always been a man of the people. He genuinely cares what they think and often takes their input into consideration. I talk about the time I saw him on a NY Times video interview at a Harlem barbershop getting his hair cut, mingling with football fans, talking about the game, addressing fan concerns that the game has gone soft.

Also, if you saw him on 60 Minutes today, he was hanging out around tailgates at NFL games, and he often sneaks into the lower seats to assess the experience and mingle with fans. It was amazing to see him today just act like a regular Joe, and he does this all the time at games.

It's easy to hate on him because he may SEEM like a jerk, or he is meting out too much justice. But he does what is right for the game. He is a great commissioner and much of the alleged blame placed on him, as others have posted, really isn't his fault. This is not a guy who is the 1%, not a snob.

Finally, Goodell knows how to make his product money. The NFL is extremely lucrative during Goodell's reign. Hate all you want for rule changes, but you can't deny the impact he has made on the game financially. He's a business genius.

"Player safety, player safety, :blahblah:...let's have an 18 game season!"

(Image invoking Godwin's Law)

Wow, made it a whole 10 posts before a Hitler comparison. Impressive.

Goodell has certainly pissed a lot of people off, but he hasn't destroyed the NFL. It's still very popular, still very profitable, and he's simply trying to make sound business decisions. Crack down on bad behavior on and off the field. Expand the market into Mexico, Canada, and Europe. Sure he's not perfect, but he hasn't crippled the league either, despite the whining of guys like James Harrison.

Goodell is making it safer for players that a 18 game schedule won't be as bad. imagine having rules from 10-20 years and then a 18 game schedule. with the rules tilted towards offense, it can happen someday

Maybe in 10 years they will make the game so safe that regular NFL games will look like the Pro Bowl that just ended and they can have 162 game seasons like with baseball. Nobody will watch it anymore but that sure is a lot more games. :ols:

Goodell is nothing but a talking head. He takes all the heat for the decisions the owners make. If he made a decision most of the owners didn't like, they would just overrule it. They pay him, let's not forget. I take this as one of the most meaningless things ever. He has one of the most overrated jobs, right next to the President of the United States. haha.

I don't like him because he seems like nothing more than a yes man for the owners and his penalties/fines have been woefully inconsistent. He hasn't destroyed the NFL, but he needs to get some consistency from the refs and himself with rule enforcement and I think some rules have been taken too far to the extreme. That being said, we could be worse off, but we could do better.

Goodell lost a lot of respect with me when he destroyed the "Spygate" videotapes. He should have taken that a lot more seriously than he did. He has done a lot for the game, but IMO, the bad outweigh the good.
Dude the whole spygate thing was seriously overblown. The Patriots went 18-1 AFTER spygate!!! Do you honestly think they were cheating then, too? C'mon. Can't stand how people still bring up that crap. It's irrelevant. Furthermore, do you really think no other team was doing anything similar to that? They just happened to get caught.

---------- Post added January-30th-2012 at 01:13 AM ----------

Comparing Goodell to Hitler is one of the most ignorant and offensive things I've seen on this board in the more than sevens years that I've been here. Grow up!
I agree. It was pretty dumb. Then again, the guy you're referring to is a huge Ochocinco fan. That explains everything.

Comparing Goodell to Hitler is one of the most ignorant and offensive things I've seen on this board in the more than sevens years that I've been here. Grow up!

It's a joke. You think people truly think he's a Hitleresque character? Your offensiveness is one of the most ignorant and offensive things I've seen on this board in the more than six years I've been here. Grow up!

I agree. It was pretty dumb. Then again, the guy you're referring to is a huge Ochocinco fan. That explains everything.

:ols:

Yep. Ochocinco is the anti-Christ to you. I'm offended!!!

Dude the whole spygate thing was seriously overblown. The Patriots went 18-1 AFTER spygate!!! Do you honestly think they were cheating then, too? C'mon. Can't stand how people still bring up that crap. It's irrelevant. Furthermore, do you really think no other team was doing anything similar to that? They just happened to get caught

So you call cheating "crap". :doh: I think that's pretty serious and not just overblown. Are you kidding me? :doh: That was just swept under the rug like it never happened. If Tagliabue was still in charge, there would have been severe penalties and severe ramifications.

Dude the whole spygate thing was seriously overblown. The Patriots went 18-1 AFTER spygate!!! Do you honestly think they were cheating then, too? C'mon. Can't stand how people still bring up that crap. It's irrelevant. Furthermore, do you really think no other team was doing anything similar to that? They just happened to get caught.

---------- Post added January-30th-2012 at 01:13 AM ----------

What does Ochocinco have to do with anything?

Archived