Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How good ARE the Giants, why did the Redskins sweep them, and why did they sweep the Cowboys?

After visiting CZ, it appears that the prevailing wisdom is:

- The Giants are just ridiculously good along their O-Line and D-Line, have great WRs and an extremely lucky (but still somewhat good) QB in Eli Manning...

- The reason the Giants swept the Cowboys is because the Cowboys are way behind the Giants in terms of talent on the O-Line and in the Defensive front 7, which 'splains why the Giants are heading to the NFC Championship game...but Dallas has the better QB in Romo sits to pee, who would have gotten the Giants to the conference championship game several times over if he were their QB...

- The only reason the Giants lost to the Redskins is because Eli choked--twice--and because the Giants' defense was too banged up...they're winning now because their defense is finally healthy.

So I thought I'd ask here on ES:

1) How good ARE the Giants in your eyes?...

2) Why DID the Giants sweep the Cowboys?...

3) Why DID the Redskins sweep the Giants, and in dominating fashion?...

- The only reason the Giants lost to the Redskins is because Eli choked--twice--and because the Giants' defense was too banged up...they're winning now because their defense is finally healthy.

I disagree with this...Our front 7 outplayed their o-line both games - they're defense has struggled for most of the year and we played them at beginning of the season when it was (oh they are too banged up) and late in the season.

Our offense scored what they averaged all year long. The reason the Redskins won is because they stopped the run very well in both games, match up well against the Giants, and are a better team when you look at match-ups. The thing that sets us apart from other teams is turnovers and qb play which is why we ended up where we did.

All you have to do is blitz and pressure Eli and he will struggle. Look at the times the Packers blitzed him and the outcome of those drives. And the times they only rushed 3-4, Eli lit them up.

1) They're a solid team who put it together at the right time. They're not the most talented team in the league, but they play disciplined on defense, have a great pass rush, and a quarterback who can make some unbelievable throws when necessary.

2) The Cowboys got swept because they're vastly overrated. Their OL is in shambles and their defense/DC have too much of an overinflated view of themselves.

3) Giants probably overlooked us a little, but we got to Eli and made him make mistakes. We have a very good pass rush, one that can disrupt quarterbacks. Our defense took advantage of the mistakes and our offense capitalized.

It's no fluke we swept the Giants

Our running system, ZBS, tires out their pass rushers much more easily since they rely on their athletic DL/DE to pressure the QB. Slow down their pass rush, and it's much easier to beat them. We racked up the yards against their D in the running game, and then Grossman (lol) is able to abuse their secondary.

Their O isn't able to abuse our defense like the cowboys or philly can, so once they start falling behind it's much easier for us to get ahead on them

1) Giants have insane experience in the playoffs and you can absolutely tell every single player on that teams turns the juice on come playoff time. I can't believe Tom Coughlin gets the flack he gets from media, and sometimes players. He has every troop ready to play ball come playoff time.

2) Why did the Giants sweet the Cowboys? Because Romo sits to pee's talent is not nearly as close to what Manning's is despite what you think. It's not even a comparison of Romo sits to pee to Manning. They swept the Cowboys because the matchup is horrid. The Giants offense can balance run/pass and pick on an extremely weak Dallas secondary.

3) We swept the Giants because our Oline/Dline won the battle. When Manning gets pressured, he starts to crumble like a cookie. Same with Rex, same with Tom Brady, same with every QB. We did an excellent job protecting Rex that game and our secondary is light years better than the Cowboys. IMO, the Giants do not match up well against the 49ers. The only way the Giants win this game is if Alex Smith fails to put points up on the board.

The Giants are the best team in the division. We swept them because we caught them at a couple of bad times. Early when they were crippled, and right after their big comeback in Dallas where they were due a let down(even then if Nicks doesn't drop that pass early the Giants probably win).

The Redskins would have sweep the Cowboys if they had a decent kicker.

Or blockers. One was blocked in the 18-16 loss and the one he missed in DC was from 52, not exactly easy.

---------- Post added January-19th-2012 at 01:41 PM ----------

The Giants are the best team in the division. We swept them because we caught them at a couple of bad times. Early when they were crippled, and right after their big comeback in Dallas where they were due a let down(even then if Nicks doesn't drop that pass early the Giants probably win).

Excuses, excuses. We put our 45 guys on the field and so did they. We were missing half our O-line and our starting SS when we played them the second time. Injuries happen and you can't use that as an excuse. The Pack won a SB with a devastated team last year.

After visiting CZ, it appears that the prevailing wisdom is:

- The Giants are just ridiculously good along their O-Line and D-Line, have great WRs and an extremely lucky (but still somewhat good) QB in Eli Manning...

The Giants are not as good on the o-line as they have been in recent seasons. They're successful on offense nonetheless because of the improved play of Eli Manning (who has shaken his Bad Eli/Good Eli stigma to be simply legitimately good) and their tremendous WR talent. Defensively, that line is playing about as well as it did in 2007. They don't have great linebackers or a great secondary but they don't need 'em.

- The reason the Giants swept the Cowboys is because the Cowboys are way behind the Giants in terms of talent on the O-Line and in the Defensive front 7, which 'splains why the Giants are heading to the NFC Championship game...but Dallas has the better QB in Romo sits to pee, who would have gotten the Giants to the conference championship game several times over if he were their QB...

Eli has closed the gap between him and Romo sits to pee this season although I still like Romo sits to pee a little more as a QB. The Cowboys are way behind because their defense has somewhat of a patchwork quality to it and never seemed to actually learn Rob Ryan's scheme.

Possibly... but when a player who has played as consistently as Eli has this season suffers two bad losses against the same opponent you have to wonder if something we did defensively was causing Eli to choke.

So to CowboyZone I say: Close but no cigar.

My two cents. It's all about match ups. Like Philly matches up with Dallas well across the board.

Dallas / New York.

Dallas's O-Line and Secondary are very weak. With the exception of Tyron Smith (4th best RT in the NFL) and Holland (Rated #4 LG in the NFL), the line is pedestrian, but improving. The Giants were able to generate pressure with 4 and 5 guys. Allowing them to drop more players into coverage. Any other time, Romo sits to pee avoids one pass rusher and buys time, he is met by another player. Many of times Romo sits to pee alluded the 1st tackler, only to move into another pass rusher. With NY, they have constant pressure in Tony's face from all directions. +1 Giants D-Line over Dallas's O-Line.

With the Giants receivers, I wouldn't say "luck". They are good. Damned good. But how many times, can Eli just chuck up a prayer and the Giants come down with it? NY can exploit Dallas's weakness. Take the Week 17 match up. From 21-0 down, to 21-14. New York faces a 3rd and long. Eli about to get sacked, one leg chucks it into the air. Victor Cruz jumps into the air, while a Safety AND Orlando Scandrick do NOT turn around for the ball. Had Scandrick turned around for the ball and played the ball, it's a routine knock down. How about Victor Cruz's 80 yard TD where he SMOKED Newman? Come on. A simple out route gone 80 yards? I won't even talk about the earlier game. Dallas doesn't adjust well either. How many times did NY throw to the Fullback in the flat? +1 Giants receivers and knowing how to exploit the Dallas Secondary and their LACK of ball skills.

I agree. Outside of Ware and Lee, our linebackers are old. Our front 3 are decent, but apply ZERO pressure. How long did Eli have to pass? ALL DAY. Pressure = Sacks or Picks.

One again, hard to come back in a game down 21-0. Romo sits to pee lead them back to 21-14, had Scandrick played the ball, it's a different ball game.

The Skins match up well with the Giants. Amazing defense with solid secondary. The Skins apply better pressure then Dallas does. The Skins secondary plays the ball better then Dallas was. The Skins run the ball better then Dallas (WITHOUT MURRAY). You apply pressure on Eli, he's a different beast. Against Dallas, we didn't hit Eli more then 2-3 times ALL DAY.

1) How good ARE the Giants in your eyes?... They are where I thought they would be. They are a very good football team.

2) Why DID the Giants sweep the Cowboys?... Points above.

3) Why DID the Redskins sweep the Giants, and in dominating fashion?...They match up with NY better then Dallas does.

;8805617']The Giants are a different monster right now than they have been most of the season.

I truly don't think they're that different, TBH. They played very well at times during the season, but also had games where they sucked. IMO, their run offense & pass defense are their major weaknesses. Maybe their pass rush can cover for their pass defense, but I see SF doing like they did against NO and only rushing 3-4, dropping everyone else and forcing Eli to beat them. He's been great this year (and in playoffs), so maybe he's up to it, but 3 games in a row is tough.

1.) Giants are pretty good

2.) Division game, anything can happen

3.) Division game, anything can happen

Really, its what the previous posters have stated. It's all about match-ups and exploiting weaknesses with your opponents. With Dallas/NY they have secondary issues. With the Skins, you stack the box and dare Rex to beat you.

Giants and Eagles receivers are way ahead of those of the Skins in terms of big play ability. Cruz had more YAC this year than all Skins receivers combined. That makes life quite easy on the QB, especially when he can run like Vick. Dallas has a pretty good front seven, but their secondary can be burnt with fast receivers. Skins didn't really have that for most of this year.

Good question!

I find it weird that the Giants sucked for most of the season, and now they are hailed as one of the best teams in the league. I still don't buy it. They're good, yes, and they are playing better than they were, but something about them doesn't convince me. I think it IS because we swept them, and I don't think we swept them because of "any given Sunday" or something like that. I just think the Giants are weak in some areas, it's just a matter of playing to those weaknesses.

Well, first off, the first meeting in DC, was a totally different Giants team than now. They lacked an identity, confidence and the Redskins were a better team at the time.

The second game, I don't have an answer for. The Redskins are a tougher team than their record, but that loss was a real head scratcher. I can't really find fault in any game Manning has played this year except for the opener. The 2nd game, he layed out a beautiful ball for Hakeem Nicks early in the game that should have been a TD. There were other drops as well, but the underlying theme is that the Redskins have a tough defense, and the Giants couldn't take advantage of their opportunities, and there were plenty of them. The Giants running game, even up to this point, is very suspect, and the Redskins were able to pressure Manning without blitzing.

Regarding the Cowboys, they should have beaten the Giants. They're defense wasn't as bad as people have said except for a couple of games, and unlike a few posters here said, they blitzed the heck out of Eli, and got in his face a lot, but Manning was able to burn them. And in the end, as good as Tony Romo sits to pee has been this season, the Cowboys needed that one big play from him at the end of the game, and he couldn't deliver. Simple as that.

The Giants are a very good team, but there are 2 reasons why they were 9-7 this year(now only 1 reason), their defense was horrible for most of the season until the last month, and the running game has struggled mightely, a big reason why they haven't been able to put away lesser quality teams. I think Manning and JPP have kept the Giants in just about all of their games this year, and if they are to beat San Francisco, they are going to have to rely on another big game from Manning, because once again, the running game will not be there.

Giants swept the Cowboys because they are simply better than them. I am not getting into the Eli/Romo sits to pee debate, but overall the Giants are a clear cut better team than the Cowboys.

Why the Skins swept them? Because the Giants dont respect us. They get up for big games, not little ones. They excel best at playing in big games, against better teams. Which is why I think the 49ers game is a trap for them. They dont respect them, the way they respected the Packers. They think lowly of the Redskins, and rightfully so. But we are an improving team with average at best talent. But we are getting close and the Giants may want to start paying attention.

That is my reasoning.

So I thought I'd ask here on ES:

1)Over the last month, they have been the most complete team in the NFL. Once Perry Fewell finally figured out how to utilize the talent on D in week 16, the Giants became a very, very dangerous team.

2)In the first game, JPP had arguably one of the best defensive performances by any player in the league this season. And the second game took place in the past month.

3)Through week 15, the Giants had by far the worst defense in the division. At over 26 points per game, they were giving up 4-5 more points than the next closest team in the NFCE. They also had the worst rushing attack in the NFL, which put every game in Eli's hands. I have no explanation for why, but, for whatever reason, the Skins D matches up extremely well against the Giants passing attack. They played Eli tougher than any other team in the NFL this year. Except for the Bills game, when Bradshaw vultured three 1-yard rushing TD's, the Skins games were the only ones all season that Eli was shut out. Which, at that point in the year, meant there was no way for the Giants to win those games.

Archived