Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How good ARE the Giants, why did the Redskins sweep them, and why did they sweep the Cowboys?

Ahem. Just another thing to add to the list. Star punt returner is hurt and his backup fumbles twice in the 4th quarter and OT of the NFC championship game right into the Giants hands to give them the winning 10 points. Must be nice.

What about the fumble that went right through Osi's hands, was that good luck too?

What about the fumble that went right through Osi's hands, was that good luck too?

What was that? 2nd quarter? What about the 3 times the 49ers dropped INTs just cause they had 2 guys run into each other? What about the forward progress play that would have basically given the 49ers the game if the ref hadn't pulled the quickest whistle in history?

Giants have the horseshoe lodged so far up their ass they don't even know its there anymore.

What was that? 2nd quarter? What about the 3 times the 49ers dropped INTs just cause they had 2 guys run into each other? What about the forward progress play that would have basically given the 49ers the game if the ref hadn't pulled the quickest whistle in history?

Giants have the horseshoe lodged so far up their ass they don't even know its there anymore.

Are you trying to say that Bradshaws froward progress had not been stopped before that fumble? It is so obvious that he is moving backwards before the ball comes out. Also the Giants had their backup punt returner in too(not for the whole game but for part), you didn't see him cause two turnovers though.

Ahem. Just another thing to add to the list. Star punt returner is hurt and his backup fumbles twice in the 4th quarter and OT of the NFC championship game right into the Giants hands to give them the winning 10 points. Must be nice.

I hate the Giants, but you have to give the team credit. Winning three playoff games, two in convincing fashion, is no small feat. Yes the 49ers punt returner is not so bright, But, the Giants scored a TD in a situation where they could have been happy with a FG, as the 49ers defense had been dominant the second half. On the second turnover, that vaunted 49er run defense had the ball pounded down their throat when everyone knew it was only going to be run plays.

In the words of William Munny: "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

My source of frustration is I have no desire to watch the SB. Sick of the same teams continually being there, and I really can't stand either team, so how the heck can you watch a game like that?

I hate the Giants, but you have to give the team credit. Winning three playoff games, two in convincing fashion, is no small feat. Yes the 49ers punt returner is not so bright, But, the Giants scored a TD in a situation where they could have been happy with a FG, as the 49ers defense had been dominant the second half. On the second turnover, that vaunted 49er run defense had the ball pounded down their throat when everyone knew it was only going to be run plays.

In the words of William Munny: "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

My source of frustration is I have no desire to watch the SB. Sick of the same teams continually being there, and I really can't stand either team, so how the heck can you watch a game like that?

The Giants don't win the game without a backup punt returner fumbling twice in the last 15 minutes of the game. End of story.

---------- Post added January-23rd-2012 at 08:57 AM ----------

Are you trying to say that Bradshaws froward progress had not been stopped before that fumble? It is so obvious that he is moving backwards before the ball comes out. Also the Giants had their backup punt returner in too(not for the whole game but for part), you didn't see him cause two turnovers though.

His forward progress had been stopped but there are TONS of plays in the NFL where a player is no longer going forward but still fumbles. DHall stripping Choice in the Cowboys game last year, for one. The ref blew the whistle WAY too quick on that one. He was in the process of being tackled. Check out twitter, 90% of people on there are saying the same thing about that play.

I hate the Giants,

These two parts of your quote I agree with. I want the Patriots to win be default, but I think for the first time since SB 25 (I had to work the night shift, my roomate was supposed to tape the game and didn't) I think I'm not going to watch it. Next year it will be Green Bay and Pittsburgh. The year after it will be New England and New Orleans, blah, blah, blah. NFL is becoming as predictable as the NBA. Is Stern working part time for Goodell?

1. The Giants are a very good team. Their O is very underrater IMO. They have a good line (that gets away with holding ALL THE TIME). Two really good WR's and Eli is really coming into his own.

2. B/c the Cowboys play right into what the Giants like to do. The Cowboys like to throw the ball downfield which take a lot of time. It gives their D-line time to take over the game.

3. We beat them b/c of short passes and tight D. Throw the ball before the D-line has a chance to make an impact. Its a simple as that. That is how you beat the Giants. When they played the Pats in '07 I was furious with the gameplan the Pats came in with. Taking shots and not getting Welker involved until the last drive. I really think this year the Pats have the perfect O to beat up on the Giants. If they can get rid of the ball quick and get the YAC...i think they should be able to put up A lot of points on the Giants.

NFL is becoming as predictable as the NBA. Is Stern working part time for Goodell?

For the past 10 seasons (2001-2010) the NFC had 10 different teams represent the conference in the Super Bowl, so I don't know how that's so predictable. Unfortunately, the Giants broke that streak, and they were also the team who repped the conference in 2000 before this streak started.

I can see more the frustration with the AFC. Its been the Pitt-NE-Indy show for the same timeframe. The Ravens had a chance but Lee Evans had the drop and then Cundiff misses the chippy.

Man, I wanted the Giants to lose yesterday as well, but their win yesterday seems to be really be bothering people. Give them their credit, and hope that the Skins stop screwing around, get a QB in a few months, and continue their ascendance.

For the past 10 seasons (2001-2010) the NFC had 10 different teams represent the conference in the Super Bowl, so I don't know how that's so predictable. Unfortunately, the Giants broke that streak, and they were also the team who repped the conference in 2000 before this streak started.

I can see more the frustration with the AFC. Its been the Pitt-NE-Indy show for the same timeframe. The Ravens had a chance but Lee Evans had the drop and then Cundiff misses the chippy.

Man, I wanted the Giants to lose yesterday as well, but their win yesterday seems to be really be bothering people. Give them their credit, and hope that the Skins stop screwing around, get a QB in a few months, and continue their ascendance.

I'm just mad and need to vent. I really wanted someone else (SF ) to root for in the SB. I don't think I'll watch it, but I want the Patriots to beat them. I'll never give a rival credit, especially when the SF punt returner handed them 10 points. The could win the next 10 SBs and I'll never give them credit. I know there have been different NFC teams, but as a whole, each division seems like they have 1 or 2 teams that win it all the time. I know that's not the case, but dammit why did the Giants have to win? Makes me want to vomit.

---------- Post added January-23rd-2012 at 09:26 AM ----------

3. We beat them b/c of short passes and tight D. Throw the ball before the D-line has a chance to make an impact. Its a simple as that. That is how you beat the Giants. When they player the Pats in '07 I was furious with the gameplan the Pats came in with. Taking shots and not getting Welker involved until the last drive. I really think this year the Pats have the perfect O to beat up on the Giants. If they can get rid of the ball quick and get the YAC...i think they should be able to put up A lot of points on the Giants.

100% agree. Throw to Gronk, throw to Hernandez, throw to Welker, wash, rinse and repeat. They tried to beat them with the Randy Moss long ball in 2007. They will be able to dink and dunk and take their shots.

I think the best answer is something along the lines of the NFL being a very week to week league. Not a ton separates the good teams from the mediocre teams in this era.

The Redskins lack a franchise QB which makes it hard to CONSISTENTLY go out and win every week, but that doesn't mean the team as a whole is horrible and is not capable of playing some of the best teams in the NFL.

You can look at the 'Skins schedule and make the case that if we had a QB who was the same as Rex Grossman, but just threw less INTs overall per game, the Skins would have easily been a .500 team.

In the end it doesn't matter, the team is as good as their record says they are, but the point is when most of the team's games regardless if they are playing Playoff teams or last place teams, are being decided by field goals and/or the last possession of the game, to me it shows that this era of the NFL has been manufactured in such a way that the good and bad are not separated by much and because it gives all 32 teams a realistic chance of being a playoff team following even the worst of seasons.

NoCal's response is the closest I've seen on here to my opinion....

I've always believed that in the NFL now, you don't have to have the best team, just the hot team.

The difference between a win and a loss on Sunday is usually just 2-4 plays that when one way instead of another.

I don't know what it is about those guys, but every time the chips are down, and people have left them for dead, the NYG's always rally together and play their best. (Irritates me but probably b/c I wish the Skins were that way.)

3. We beat them b/c of short passes and tight D. Throw the ball before the D-line has a chance to make an impact. Its a simple as that. That is how you beat the Giants. When they played the Pats in '07 I was furious with the gameplan the Pats came in with. Taking shots and not getting Welker involved until the last drive. I really think this year the Pats have the perfect O to beat up on the Giants. If they can get rid of the ball quick and get the YAC...i think they should be able to put up A lot of points on the Giants.
Welker tied the record for most catches in Superbowl history that game.

The Giants don't win the game without a backup punt returner fumbling twice in the last 15 minutes of the game. End of story.

---------- Post added January-23rd-2012 at 08:57 AM ----------

His forward progress had been stopped but there are TONS of plays in the NFL where a player is no longer going forward but still fumbles. DHall stripping Choice in the Cowboys game last year, for one. The ref blew the whistle WAY too quick on that one. He was in the process of being tackled. Check out twitter, 90% of people on there are saying the same thing about that play.

1st thought has no real merit, and can't be proved either way. 2nd thought, so 90% of the people on twitter are pissed that the rules were followed exactly as they are supposed to be. The only way I think this argument has any merit is if Badshaw had been stood up not moving when he fumbled, but he was clearly being pushed backwards by the defense and when that happens the play is dead. There's no argurment to made here unless you think the rules should be changed.

Welker tied the record for most catches in Superbowl history that game.

But they didn't have the TEs they have now to take the pressure of Welker. The Giants "let" Welker get his catches, covered Moss deep and suffocated Brady when he couldn't get to Welker. He doesn't "have to" go to Welker. He has Gronk and Hernandez.

1st thought has no real merit, and can't be proved either way. 2nd thought, so 90% of the people on twitter are pissed that the rules were followed exactly as they are supposed to be. The only way I think this argument has any merit is if Badshaw had been stood up not moving when he fumbled, but he was clearly being pushed backwards by the defense and when that happens the play is dead. There's no argurment to made here unless you think the rules should be changed.

LOL ok, it has no real merit cause you don't want it to. 49ers gave them the winning 10 points with those fumbles. Giants couldn't move the ball at all in the 2nd half. They weren't scoring those 10 points without getting the ball within the 49ers 30 yard line.

2nd point, the argument isn't that the rule wasn't followed, the argument is that the whistle was blown WAY too early, while he was in the process of being tackled. The refs aren't supposed to blow the whistle as soon as contact is made. The tackle was in progress. If he had somehow squirted loose and ran 70 yards for a TD, it would have counted (or, squirted loose and thrown a 40 yard pass to David Tyree?)

Point is the Giants got every big break at every crucial moment as they typically do.

2nd point, the argument isn't that the rule wasn't followed, the argument is that the whistle was blown WAY too early, while he was in the process of being tackled. The refs aren't supposed to blow the whistle as soon as contact is made. The tackle was in progress. If he had somehow squirted loose and ran 70 yards for a TD, it would have counted (or, squirted loose and thrown a 40 yard pass to David Tyree?)

Point is the Giants got every big break at every crucial moment as they typically do.

So you're trying to say that the 49'ers are lucky the whistle was blown early? I just don't see how this is a "break" for the Giants. Also did you see the play during the 2 minute drill where Cruz caught a pass and knew he couldn't get out of bounds so he gave himself up in the middle of the field so they could run another play, just like eh did back in that Cardinals game.

So you're trying to say that the 49'ers are lucky the whistle was blown early? I just don't see how this is a "break" for the Giants. Also did you see the play during the 2 minute drill where Cruz caught a pass and knew he couldn't get out of bounds so he gave himself up in the middle of the field so they could run another play, just like eh did back in that Cardinals game.

????

No, I'm saying the Giants were lucky the whistle was blown early or else it would have been a fumble and the 49ers would have had the ball on the 20 with 2 minutes left.

I don't know what that Cruz play has to do with anything.

????

No, I'm saying the Giants were lucky the whistle was blown early or else it would have been a fumble and the 49ers would have had the ball on the 20 with 2 minutes left.

I don't know what that Cruz play has to do with anything.

But even if they had blown the whistle at the correct point and not early, it still would not have been a fumble. The only way it's ruled a fumble is if they blow the whistle late.

I just brought up the Cruz thing to try and get you going haha. I remember us talking about him "giving himself up" earlier in the year in the Cards game, he legit did it in this game and it's the first thing I thought of.

1) How good ARE the Giants in your eyes?...

When healthy they can hang with anyone in this league. Their 4 man pass rush is in my opinion unparalleled, and obviously in a league trending towards passing having such a talented group is quite advantageous.

2) Why DID the Giants sweep the Cowboys?...

Can't say I watched enough of the first game, but obviously saw most of the 2nd. I imagine it comes down to discipline and coaching. As much as it pains me to say it, the Dallas Cowboys are a very talented team and not far behind the Giants if at all in that department.

I also think it has to do with match-ups. The Cowboys rely on the play-making ability of Romo sits to pee and their WRs to produce consistent offense, which plays directly into the strength of the G-Mens defense.

3) Why DID the Redskins sweep the Giants, and in dominating fashion?...

First game, injuries I think had a lot to do with it. 2nd game if I'm not mistaken there were some pretty large mis-communications between Eli and his receivers. The Redskins capitalized on these moments.

You have to remember that the 49ers made their living this year by winning the turnover battle. The Giants knew that going into the game they had to NOT turn that ball over. They didn't, the 9ers did. That really won the game. Eli played terrific especially finding Cruz 10 times with SanFran's great front 7 smashing through the Giants shaky front line. Eli played fearlessly getting passes off 1/2 second before he got pounded. Gotta give the Giants credit here.

It seems like the Giants get up for the bigger games and annoyingly don't play at 100% with teams "they should beat".

Both the Pats and Giants want this SB so bad. The Pats will score their points. Can the Giants take advantage the suspect New England secondary? I think they can and will. Giants 30, Pats 24.

First game, injuries I think had a lot to do with it. 2nd game if I'm not mistaken there were some pretty large mis-communications between Eli and his receivers. The Redskins capitalized on these moments.

First game injuries are overblown - how the **** can you make excuses for the giants in game one (or ever) - a 10-6 team going against what was only a few months ago a 6-10 team, a 6 and 10 game that by all accounts is in full rebuilding mode .....missing our best defensive lineman from the preseason in Jenkins, Landry was missing and Atogwe was hobbled, key parts of our defense were missing - the Giants - without direction rolled onto a 6-2 record rolling over the Patriots on the way ...loosing to us and the Seahawks ...

Game 2 - You had one of the the most dominant DLs going up against back ups ... hell Willie Smith in only his second career start as a rookie undrafted free agent, a 7th round pick rookie (Mo Hurt) and an offense with rookies and backups in various positions stepping in .... and the line gave up one sack .... we had logan fricking Paulsen as our front line TE ... nice guy but nothing more than a back up ..

Thing is the difference between bad teams and good teams is a couple plays one way or another - even going back to the 07 Dolphins - there was no way they were that bad, i watched them a lot in 2007 and i saw missed opportunities at the wrong time - anything that could have gone wrong did - conversely the Pats were living a charmed life in 2007 anything that could go their way did - hell spygate blew up in their faces and NOTHING happened to them ...

the NFL is one of the shortest regular seasons of any professional sport you get maybe two chances a season to get on a roll things go well and you can end up in the superbowl, they go badly they can go off the rails quick and suddenly a 10-6 ends up going 4-12 and their once red hot young gun HC is bumming around the league as a position coach ...

- it has always been such .

You can say we came onto the Giants at the right time and we were lucky to win - but the same argument could be said for the Giants - they just got the bounce in 9 of the other games ... and 2 playoff games ... they met the packers at the right time and they were lucky to get 10 points off turnovers from a player whos next ventures into the NFL will more than likely be selling hotdogs than returning punts ... but at the end of the day they came out with the Ws and thats all anyone cares about .

The Giants did have some luck getting Osi back fresh has breathed life into that D and now they have that 2007 vibe all over again ...

...but as far as why the Skins swept the Giants ... we were better than them this season, our strengths were better than their weaknesses we match up well ... maybe we will be next season too ... who knows ... why the Giants beat the cowboys --- same reason ....

...but as far as why the Skins swept the Giants ... we were better than them this season, our strengths were better than their weaknesses we match up well ... maybe we will be next season too ... who knows ... why the Giants beat the cowboys --- same reason ....
The Skins were better than the Giants in those two games. But over the season, the Giants were clearly the better team... by a significant margin.

We swept them because we have the best defense in the division (besides them). Also, their defense can beat good offenses, so the fact that ours sucks didnt make a big difference. They thrive on pressuring good QBs and o-lines. We have neither. Essentially, we took away their greatest strength by not having the qualities they prey on. When you turn Rodgers, Romo sits to pee, Vick, Brady upside down, their entire team loses its playstyle. Rex Grossman is already upside down, and is thus not rattled any more than he is by the buffalo bills defense.

Ok, why do people keep bringing up the Giants injuries in the first game? We had our own injuries, and most (if not all) of the Giants' injuries were on the defensive side of the ball. It's still no excuse for managing to put up 14 points. If I'm not mistaking, we even gave the Giants the ball in our territory to give them 7 of those points. It was just our year in this rivalry, and in the past, we weren't putting that type of pressure on Eli. We got to him this season. I know after kicking our ***** for such a long time, it may have seemed kind of unnatural that we won both games.

I also think Rolle helped inspire us, too. His mouth never shuts.

Archived