Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Outgoing Mississippi governor pardons four killers

SkinInsite

(CNN) -- In his last days in office, outgoing Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour pardoned four men convicted of murder, a state official said Monday.

David Gatlin, Joseph Ozment, Charles Hooker and Anthony McCray received full pardons and were released at 1 p.m. Sunday, said Suzanne Singletary, spokeswoman for the Mississippi Department of Corrections. All four were serving life sentences and worked as trusties at the governor's mansion, she said.

"It is at any governor's discretion," said Singletary.

Gatlin was convicted of murder, aggravated assault and burglary of a residence, she said. Ozment was convicted of murder, conspiracy and armed robbery in a separate case. Both inmates were at minimum security level, she said.

Hooker was convicted in a 1991 murder, while McCray was convicted in a 2001 murder, Singletary said. The governor also recently pardoned Nathan Kern, who was serving a life sentence for burglary, she said.

Why do we give people the power to grant pardons, seems like a lot of power just to piss the public off.

I saw this story, and hoped that those pardoned might have included one or more of those convicted by testimony from that criminally bogus dentist who was a self-proclaimed expert on dental impressions, Dr. Michael West, who manufactured evidence to send people to jail. I don't think his victims were among those pardoned though.

Me?.....I make Perry look merciful :pfft:

I'm more of a drawn and quartered type

Going away party followed by executing everyone on death row at once?

;)

---------- Post added January-10th-2012 at 03:43 PM ----------

Maybe they had some dirt on him.

Or maybe he was drawing names out of a hat, accidently dropped the hat, and just decided to pardon err'body. :)

BW, am I the only person who's at least uncomfortable with the image of convicted murderers working at the Governor's mansion?

To me, that seems, well, the best way I can think of, to describe it, is "plantation-esque". I mean, if there's a disparity of power between Bill Clinton and an intern, isn't there an even bigger one between a Governor and a convicted prisoner?

I certainly understand a Governor having household staff. (Among other things, entertaining is a job function.) But prisoners?

BW, am I the only person who's at least uncomfortable with the image of convicted murderers working at the Governor's mansion?

To me, that seems, well, the best way I can think of, to describe it, is "plantation-esque". I mean, if there's a disparity of power between Bill Clinton and an intern, isn't there an even bigger one between a Governor and a convicted prisoner?

I certainly understand a Governor having household staff. (Among other things, entertaining is a job function.) But prisoners?

I can certainly understand that perspective.

My first thought was being one of the troopers assigned to his security detail.

"Pardon me, sir? You're getting WHO? To do WHAT?"

a old tradition in some parts to make up for the loss of slaves.

they are rather well screened,and have serious background checks....plus ya know where they live ;)

sometimes it's just hard to let go

http://www.thegrio.com/news/is-forced-labor-coming-back-to-georgia.php

GA gov proposes ex-cons pick fruit, cotton instead of immigrants

Admittedly that story doesn't contain all the facts surrounding the reasons for these pardons. But that governor continues to come off in the national media as a total scumbag.

What?? I think you may be mixing Barbour up with Scott from Florida. For the most part the media has portrayed Barbour as an efficient and highly successful Governor (In fact he was so well thought of, that he was considered to be a potential contender for the Presidency).

Barbour can't help himself. You know how into compassion and soft on crime those libruhls are. Oh, wait. :)

a old tradition in some parts to make up for the loss of slaves.

they are rather well screened,and have serious background checks....plus ya know where they live ;)

sometimes it's just hard to let go

http://www.thegrio.com/news/is-forced-labor-coming-back-to-georgia.php

GA gov proposes ex-cons pick fruit, cotton instead of immigrants

I posted this story from a different source in one of the illegal immigrant threads. It was a brilliant (and damn scary) idea by our crooked Governor. The only problem was that the ex-cons couldn't even last a day out in the fields. So much for the idea that they're putting good, hardworking Amuhricuns out of work...but that's another discussion.

Barbour can't help himself. You know how into compassion and soft on crime those libruhls are. Oh, wait. :)

I posted this story from a different source in one of the illegal immigrant threads. It was a brilliant (and damn scary) idea by our crooked Governor. The only problem was that the ex-cons couldn't even last a day out in the fields. So much for the idea that they're putting good, hardworking Amuhricuns out of work...but that's another discussion.

Why do you hate Amuhricuns?

So 1 attempt for force parolees to work in the fields that they had no experience nor want to do = nobody can do it but other illegals that have no other choices also? That is a tangled string theory there...

bring back chain gangs for conditioning,we can have them in shape in time for work-release programs

Yup. They should be made to be productive while in the care of the state. Less idle time can only be a good thing for the incarcerated. If I was in prison, getting out into the real world to work every day would be a blessing. Though that is the non-criminal mind at work. :)

Archived