Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT (via CSN): Kyle Shanahan Calls his shot in 2012 (merged w/ "In 2012 the Redskins are gonna be the NFC East champions"--MET)

Maxima2000

Our defense has sucked but I'm a little confused. Orakpo posted 9 sacks this year. People said he needed to create more turnovers. He forced 3 fumbles, all on sacks. That's a career-high and a forced fumble every 3 sacks. His pass-coverage and run defense have both improved a lot this year. Everyone complained he didn't have any sacks against divisional opponents. He had 3 sacks and a forced fumble (as well as a fumble recovery against the Giants but refs ruled Eli down on Kerrigan's sack) in ONLY 6 quarters of play in our last two divisional games.

The ONLY thing I'm even slightly disappointed in is his final number of sacks and 9 is certainly still a very good number, especially when he's improved everywhere else and that gives me reason to believe he will be even better next year. He's developing into an all-around linebacker and will continue to improve as a pass-rusher. I thought he had a damn good year.

I love Rak, he's one of my favorite Skins, but I don't think he lived up to his potential this year.

I think he has the speed and power to be getting 15 sacks in any given year. I liked what I saw against philly before he got hurt, but I think he needs to continue to improve.

---------- Post added January-2nd-2012 at 01:38 PM ----------

Rexy can't throw accurately beyond 20 yards, at best. Beck has a stronger arm, but flopped.

---------- Post added January-2nd-2012 at 10:14 AM ----------

I want an offense like the NO Saints or the GB Packers. Theire offense is capable of putting 30 on the board against any defense, and has enough wrinkles to fool people - unlike Kyle's predicatable offense.

Do you watch the games?

I know you live in California, so I'll excuse you for not being able to go to any of them. If you did, you would see receivers routinely running wide open while Rex makes the wrong read or just simply can't make the throw.

Kyle's offense is proven in Houston and most people paying attention know that it's working here. We just don't have the talent on offense to run it yet.

Look at our running game in recent weeks with a makeshift line and two rookie RB's. Jabar Gaffney is suddenly almost a 1000 yd receiver. These aren't coincidences.

There are plenty of other ways to fire up your team other than crowning yourself division champions NEXT year. Could we win the division? Sure we can, esp with a new QB and better line play. Alls his "proclamation" does is give the other 3 teams in ourdivision bulletin board material.

Really? Get over it man.

I see nothing wrong with what kyle said. I'm glad you aren't coaching this team. You are worried about the other nfc east teams remembering what our OC said in pre game at the end of the season and carrying it over to next year? Get real.

This should be merged with the thread created on this a day ago.

And I find it curious that the most ridiculously negative posts (not directed at OP) are often made by NNT'd posters.

Yeah, that is a hell of a coincidence, isn't it? I'm sure speeches like this happened all around the league on the last day of any given season, but usually you don't have the "home town" media secretly taping it to use it against the team as they love to do with any dirt they can dig up or make up. What is truly sad is how the Post and CSN turn this stuff around as quickly as they can into a mud-slinging exercise. However, next year, when the Redskins go out and win the East, you know not one damn "reporter/journalist" from either of those publications will retract any of the negatives that they've been flinging around, or even give any credit or credence to this "story" at all. They are pathetic, and it is past time when people should stop feeding them by paying attention to them.

Nothing wrong with it. First, he was talking to the team not the media. Lots of stuff is said like this and a hell of alot worse and more profane than that. Second, he was responding to the douche defensive coordinator for the all talk but always fail Eagles and what he said to one of our coaches.

Nothing to see here.

Look, I get he has pride and was trying to fire up his team. But when you make proclamations like that and they backfire, you just look bad...

He said "It starts ****ing today" and then proceeded to get blown out with another crappy showing by the offense.

Even Bill Belichick with his dominant teams, when he relays bulletin board material, he says "This is what they said, they're preparing a parade" blah blah blah, but he doesn't make any statements. It's more of a "What are you going to do about it?" type of thing.

He said this to the team inside the locker room to get them pumped up for the game. What is the problem? Just because someone happened to be there, overheard it, and decided they were going to make a story out of a non-story, why is Kyle Shanahan to blame?

Really? Get over it man.

I see nothing wrong with what kyle said. I'm glad you aren't coaching this team. You are worried about the other nfc east teams remembering what our OC said in pre game at the end of the season and carrying it over to next year? Get real.

Sorry, but saying you WILL be division champs next year after the way we played (mostly) this year is going a little overboard. And if you don't think this won't be brought up next season by our division foes, you are wrong.

He said this to the team inside the locker room to get them pumped up for the game. What is the problem? Just because someone happened to be there, overheard it, and decided they were going to make a story out of a non-story, why is Kyle Shanahan to blame?

Jesus, I wish that more people would realize this.

He didn't say it to the media. He said it in the locker room to his players. If people would bother to read the article, it even says that it was overheard. He didn't stand in front of a microphone and say it.

Like Jumbo said, some of you really need to get a life.

Look, I get he has pride and was trying to fire up his team. But when you make proclamations like that and they backfire, you just look bad...

He said "It starts ****ing today" and then proceeded to get blown out with another crappy showing by the offense.

Even Bill Belichick with his dominant teams, when he relays bulletin board material, he says "This is what they said, they're preparing a parade" blah blah blah, but he doesn't make any statements. It's more of a "What are you going to do about it?" type of thing.

This is a ridiculous line of argument and must come from someone ignorant about leadership.

Should we get on London Fletcher for saying things like "we own them", or how about when we played in Dallas this season and he took the team out into the middle of the field and said "this is our stadium", only to end up losing in a close one? Boy, that backfired London. Don't believe anymore after that one. In fact, be sure you qualify each of your statements of domination and victory with a "but, hey, I may be wrong guys and we may fail... so don't take this seriously".

Does a General leading his army into battle say anything other than "we're going to be victorious"?

Do you realize that if any coach/player doesn't actually believe they are going to be successful and win the ultimate prize, then it would be useless for them to actually go out and perform and expect anyone else to?

No, you must believe and you must relay that to your team. Even if you lose, you keep at it until your beliefs are realized. That's what winners do.

Can't believe anyone has an issue with this. It's ridiculous.

Jesus, I wish that more people would realize this.

He didn't say it to the media. He said it in the locker room to his players. If people would bother to read the article, it even says that it was overheard. He didn't stand in front of a microphone and say it.

Like Jumbo said, some of you really need to get a life.

Sorry, but saying you WILL be division champs next year after the way we played (mostly) this year is going a little overboard. And if you don't think this won't be brought up next season by our division foes, you are wrong.

It wasn't meant to get out... it was relayed to the team within closed doors. So you bringing up the likelihood that it will be used as motivation by our division foes is silly and irrelevant. Furthermore, every team in our division will and should believe the same thing every year; that they're going to win. Otherwise, what are you coaching/playing/leading for?

This is a ridiculous line of argument and must come from someone ignorant about leadership.

Should we get on London Fletcher for saying things like "we own them", or how about when we played in Dallas this season and he took the team out into the middle of the field and said "this is our stadium", only to end up losing in a close one? Boy, that backfired London. Don't believe anymore after that one. In fact, be sure you qualify each of your statements of domination and victory with a "but, hey, I may be wrong guys and we may fail... so don't take this seriously".

Does a General leading his army into battle say anything other than "we're going to be victorious"?

Do you realize that if any coach/player doesn't actually believe they are going to be successful and win the ultimate prize, then it would be useless for them to actually go out and perform and expect anyone else to?

No, you must believe and you must relay that to your team. Even if you lose, you keep at it until your beliefs are realized. That's what winners do.

I'm not here to argue what he should or shouldn't do. I'm just saying that if you say something, and you fail to back it up, you look like an idiot. That's what Kyle Shanahan looks like from this episode.

And for the record, my preference is the Bellichik method where he purposely looks for bulletin board material and says to his players, "What are you going to do about it?" He doesn't say, "We OWN the AFC East, we're gonna own it every year! It continues today!!! SPARTAAAA"

Rex does throw the ball up for grabs. You are right. But geez!! The WR's need too make a play also. They never seem too jump for the ball.

That's Hankerson and Paul need to use their size. I was watching Cruz last night and wow, talk about a go get her, Eli must love having that guy.

I'm not here to argue what he should or shouldn't do. I'm just saying that if you say something, and you fail to back it up, you look like an idiot. That's what Kyle Shanahan looks like from this episode.

And for the record, my preference is the Bellichik method where he purposely looks for bulletin board material and says to his players, "What are you going to do about it?" He doesn't say, "We OWN the AFC East, we're gonna own it every year! It continues today!!! SPARTAAAA"

That's why the New York Giants look like dumbasses for saying they'd beat the Redskins 99 out of 100 times only to lose both games in the series this year.

The proof is in the pudding. Did Kyle Shanahan's leadership method, which you prefer, and speech work? No, they put up 10 points and got blown out. At least London Fletcher's team did a generally good job of defense for most o fthe game vs the Cowboys while Grossman proceeded to turn over the game multiple times.

Also, before you call anyone ignorant, I suppose you think Joe Gibbs is ignorant for being pissed that anyone would think that the Redskins would crush the ****ty 49ers team in 2005?

Do you think Joe Gibbs put together speeches where he talked about how the Redskins were guaranteed to win a game, let alone division championships?

I've never been in a locker room with Joe Gibbs, but I highly doubt he ever gave a locker room speech that they were going to win the division chamiponship and then proceed to get blown out.

I always considered Joe Gibbs a winner, but I guess according to your post he's just ignorant about leadership and is a loser.

From a fan's perspective, sitting in the bleacher in judgement, or from behind a computer screen, yeah you may be right.

But from a player's perspective, you are wrong. That stuff is meant to fire the team up. If it doesn't work, the players are usually disappointed in themselves, especially the professional ones. The players are thinking about what they did wrong, or even maybe what other players did wrong, and are pissed about the loss. They aren't thinking what you're thinking. I've had enough coaches in my time say similar things to get us fired up but it didn't pan out. The players didn't resent those coaches afterward. The coaches who are resented are the ones who put forth little effort, barely communicate with the team, and are obviously bad at their job. This isn't the case with Kyle.

From a fan's perspective, sitting in the bleacher in judgement, or from behind a computer screen, yeah you may be right.

But from a player's perspective, you are wrong. That stuff is meant to fire the team up. If it doesn't work, the players are usually disappointed in themselves, especially the professional ones. The players are thinking about what they did wrong, or even maybe what other players did wrong, and are pissed about the loss. They aren't thinking what you're thinking. I've had enough coaches in my time say similar things to get us fired up but it didn't pan out. The players didn't resent those coaches afterward. The coaches who are resented are the ones who put forth little effort, barely communicate with the team, and are obviously bad at their job. This isn't the case with Kyle.

I know, I'm just saying it's egg on his face. I'm not saying he shouldn't do it, though I prefer Gibbs' style more, I was just making a statement that he looks bad for not being able to back it up. Don't know why I should get called ignorant for stating what should be ovious.

I know, I'm just saying it's egg on his face. I'm not saying he shouldn't do it, though I prefer Gibbs' style more, I was just making a statement that he looks bad for not being able to back it up. Don't know why I should get called ignorant for stating what should be ovious.

Kyle wasn't the one out there dropping catches, committing dumb penalties, underthrowing passes to open receivers, etc. His playcalling isn't what lost us the game. So no, he doesn't look stupid for believing in the team, from a player's perspective. The players screwed the pooch, it's on them, and most of them are professionals and know this, so they are blaming themselves. It's not stupid to believe in your players and be wrong that day about the outcome because every coach should believe in their team, but not every coach is going to win that day. I guarantee you that the players, the one's whose thoughts on the team actually matter, aren't thinking what you are about this. More than likely most are disappointed for letting Kyle down, and that may serve as extra motivation down the road.

Yeah, that is a hell of a coincidence, isn't it? I'm sure speeches like this happened all around the league on the last day of any given season, but usually you don't have the "home town" media secretly taping it to use it against the team as they love to do with any dirt they can dig up or make up. What is truly sad is how the Post and CSN turn this stuff around as quickly as they can into a mud-slinging exercise. However, next year, when the Redskins go out and win the East, you know not one damn "reporter/journalist" from either of those publications will retract any of the negatives that they've been flinging around, or even give any credit or credence to this "story" at all. They are pathetic, and it is past time when people should stop feeding them by paying attention to them.

they won't have to retract them, they're opinions. All they'd have to say is basicaly "well, Kyle was right."

Archived