Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Killer line from Bill Simmons' column this week regardng Shanahan

Lombardi's_kid_brother

By the way' date=' we just lost to the ****ing Vikings.

And I want someone to explain to me how we have more "young talent" than anyone else in the division. I've never seen two draft classes over-rated to the degree these last two have been. We have already put Hankerson in the Pro Bowl after one game. If we ever had a second year receiver like Antonio Brown, this site would have to be bought by Brazzers.[/quote']

...Christ you're a bitter man.

At any rate, that post features no killer line. It's another article written by a dude at the Post who spends most of his time watching basketball and no time watching Redskins football. We get it. You don't think Shanahan's a great football coach.

Yes, we lost to the Vikings. We lost to a lot of teams this season. We understand you feel we should be further along than we are right now. But this isn't a killer line. It's yet another line from yet another columnist who get paid money to get hits on stories, regardless of if they're backed up by fact, research, or anything other than the kind of meaningless opinion that I'd hear while I was standing at a bus stop.

It's a dumb line, with an idea that is TERRIBLY OUT of context, written by a dummy. We are a FAR better team today than when Shanahan was hired! Has he made some errors? Yes. Every coach does. But we are a far better, younger team today, just a few pieces short of a contender.

It's a dumb line, with an idea that is TERRIBLY OUT of context, written by a dummy. We are a FAR better team today than when Shanahan was hired! Has he made some errors? Yes. Every coach does. But we are a far better, younger team today, just a few pieces short of a contender.

I tell myself that, but then this nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach makes me question whether I'm just continuing with the delusion that comes with being a Redskins fan over the last decade. We've heard the story before. I hope it's different this time. I think it is, but I'm not totally convinced it is. I've been burned too many times by this team to totally buy in.

Shanahan is two full years in. He wanted 5 years to turn the thing around, which is very generous, almost absurdly generous, in today's NFL. Fans have been really patient with him thus far. Presumably so has Snyder. But the bottom line in sports is wins and losses. If that doesn't improve next year, patience will wear razor thin.

It's not a killer line at all. This team was absolute trash when Zorn left. Much like when Gibbs took over for Spurrier ... Gibbs made acquisitions to win now, while Shanahan is making acquisitions to win long term. I have thoroughly enjoyed how he is rebuilding the team. The time is now to snag a quarterback from the draft and suddenly people will rave about the rebuilding process.

---------- Post added December-31st-2011 at 03:03 PM ----------

Someone please explain to me who would be better to get than Shanny.

I got a brilliant idea, lets hire ANOTHER head coach, try to rebuild AGAIN. Dump all of Shanahan's players and rebuild the roster in 1-2 offseasons AGAIN.

So ignorant.

If some of you would just let the current coaching staff build with the appropriate players over more than 1-2 seasons ... you will see a winning franchise.

Look at the most successful franchises ... Patriots, Steelers, Packers ... they have been doing this year in and year out the right way. They can take a player like Antonio Brown because they don't have gaping holes everywhere on their roster like other teams. If you want to truly be a successful franchise, you build slowly and methodically over a long period of time ... around a franchise quarterback.

I tell myself that, but then this nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach makes me question whether I'm just continuing with the delusion that comes with being a Redskins fan over the last decade. We've heard the story before. I hope it's different this time. I think it is, but I'm not totally convinced it is. I've been burned too many times by this team to totally buy in.

All it takes is some confidence in YOUR ability to analyze things realistically. I'm not basing my opinions on PR or hype coming out of Bruce Allen's office. Actually I rarely hear Allen say anything about anything :ols:...

Shanahan is two full years in. He wanted 5 years to turn the thing around, which is very generous, almost absurdly generous, in today's NFL. Fans have been really patient with him thus far. Presumably so has Snyder. But the bottom line in sports is wins and losses. If that doesn't improve next year, patience will wear razor thin.

Is it "absurdly" generous, or is it realistic? And what constitutes truly "turning the thing around"?...One good year like what the Dolphins, Chiefs and Bucs have had? When do we decide when the team has honestly turned the corner and can be a consistent contender year after year?

Maybe the "absurd" viewpoint for achieving that goal is that a rebuilding team can--and should--get it done within 2 years. The Lions and the 49ers sure as hell didn't get it done in just 2 years.

when shanny came here i was very happy BUT i was wondering why he would pick us over a team like dallas who had i good roster in place. our team was a mess and shanny and allen are trying to fix it the right way now. i think they wasted a year getting mcnabb but i think they realized they made a mistake and are doing all the right things going forward. i hate to say this but i think we need 2 more good drafts before we start to see the results we all want.

I don't view.Shanahan as the answer but the means to an end. He's very good with the draft. Always has been. Truth be told he would probably be better suited as a GM. But I'm willing to put up with Shanahan because he will rebuild this team and has the resume to say no to Danny about stupid things.

Is it "absurdly" generous, or is it realistic? And what constitutes truly "turning the thing around"?...One good year like what the Dolphins, Chiefs and Bucs have had? When do we decide when the team has honestly turned the corner and can be a consistent contender year after year?

Maybe the "absurd" viewpoint for achieving that goal is that a rebuilding team can--and should--get it done within 2 years. The Lions and the 49ers sure as hell didn't get it done in just 2 years.

As much as the media doesn't admit it, Tom Coughlin turned the Giants into contenders. So did

Andy Reid for sure.

I wouldn't say Harbaugh turned the corner for the Ravens but he certainly righted a ship that was looking shaky.

3-4 years of division contention and deep playoff contention constitute turning the corner. You're absolutely right that the Bucs and Dolphins havn't turned any corner.

He is a good coach. He's been given a very crappy team to turn around. Gibbs tried to turn it around too quick, got in over his head and left. Zorn was in over his head as a coordinator, he had no balls and he couldn't get rid of the players that needed to go. Now we have a coach who has players playing hard for him, even with a poor record. Zorn's team quit on him, hard.

I don't know what to tell you LKB, you clearly don't have the patience it takes to see this team get turned around. Maybe take a break from the boards for awhile.

Zorn's team quit on him, hard.

The way the 2009 season started with the Skins anemic play against one of the softest schedules you can ask for was horrible. But from about the halfway point of that season through the three-quarter point the team was competitive and people were saying the same things about that team they are saying about the current one, with some even saying "gee, maybe Zorn should stay." Then Vinny got axed, Bruce got hired, and everyone knew that changes were going to be afoot, and yes, its hard not to argue that the team quit in the final three games.

The dig against Shanny not being a good coach is definitely unfair, but I think the statement is more of a shot at Snyder thinking that he was going to get immediate results just by hiring a big name again. I think the owner is probably stunned that this thing is taking longer than he thought it would.

The way the 2009 season started with the Skins anemic play against one of the softest schedules you can ask for was horrible. But from about the halfway point of that season through the three-quarter point the team was competitive and people were saying the same things about that team they are saying about the current one, with some even saying "gee, maybe Zorn should stay."

I must've blocked that out. Sherm Lewis was hired after the 6th game and it didn't seem to me like the players responded to Zorn, but rather to maybe having someone who at one point knew what they were doing in this league. Hell the fact that it wasn't even Zorn's call was enough to let anyone know Zorn was done and he had no control over anything.

As much as the media doesn't admit it, Tom Coughlin turned the Giants into contenders. So did

Andy Reid for sure.

I wouldn't say Harbaugh turned the corner for the Ravens but he certainly righted a ship that was looking shaky.

3-4 years of division contention and deep playoff contention constitute turning the corner. You're absolutely right that the Bucs and Dolphins havn't turned any corner.

Coughlin didn't have to rebuild, though.

When he took over in 2004, the Giants one year removed from a 10-6 record and playoff appeaerance, and had gone to the Super Bowl two years before that.

Some of the players Coughlin inherited:

David Diehl

Jason Whittle

Luke Petitgout

Jeremy Shockey

Visanthe Shiancoe

Amani Toomer

Tiki Barber

Michael Strahan

Osi Umenyiora

Will Allen

And much like Coughlin, Harbaugh in Baltimore didn't need to rebuild the franchise.

I'll give you Reid, however...he did do a quick rebuild. But that's more the exception than the rule.

When he took over in 2004, the Giants one year removed from a 10-6 record and playoff appeaerance, and had gone to the Super Bowl two years before that.

David Diehl

Jason Whittle

Luke Petitgout

Jeremy Shockey

Visanthe Shiancoe

Amani Toomer

Tiki Barber

Michael Strahan

Osi Umenyiora

Will Allen

And much like Coughlin, Harbaugh in Baltimore didn't need to rebuild the franchise.

I'll give you Reid, however...he did do a quick rebuild. But that's more the exception than the rule.

Reid had the resources to get his QB in his first year and the environment in the NFC (especially in the east were there really was no dominant team) was as good as it gets for a rebuilding team.

David Diehl

Jason Whittle

Luke Petitgout

Jeremy Shockey

Visanthe Shiancoe

Amani Toomer

Tiki Barber

Michael Strahan

Osi Umenyiora

Will Allen

Yea Reid just continues to outscheme people on offense and he had a genius at defensive coordinator.

I think what needs to be said here is that most teams don't give coaches nearly enough times to reap what they build.

I don't understand why everyone is so pissed. To the rest of the league, the record is all that matters and until it changes for the better, Shanny's rep will suffer.

Then you didn't read the thread very well.

And for what it's worth, from what I have seen on message boards of other teams and in NFL articles the "rest of the league" has zero problem acknowledging both that the Skins under Zorn and Snyderrato sucked eggs and had almost no talent, and the Skins under Shanallen is definitely improved and heading in the right direction.

---------- Post added December-31st-2011 at 07:21 PM ----------

Reid had the resources to get his QB in his first year and the environment in the NFC (especially in the east were there really was no dominant team) was as good as it gets for a rebuilding team.
Yea Reid just continues to outscheme people on offense and he had a genius at defensive coordinator.

I think what needs to be said here is that most teams don't give coaches nearly enough times to reap what they build.

Both good points :yes:...

Shanahan's a good/great coach but his FO decisions are still average. They're better than Cerrato, that's for sure, but still a lot of hits and misses mixed in

Misses include:

1. Going full-blown 3-4 without doing a proper assessment of players

We coulda traded away Carter and Haynesworth, or we could've transitioned into a hybrid...

2. Trading for McNabb and Brown

We could've probably assessed the Grossman and Beck situation in year one instead of having to do it in year two. Not to mention lost draft picks.

3. Portis, Johnson, and Parker...

Thankfully, this all happened in year one, but what we're suffering this season should've happened in year one.

If he fails to win in year three and/or gets fired, it'll be because he sucks at the FO stuff just like he didin Denver

If he fails to win in year three and/or gets fired, it'll be because he sucks at the FO stuff just like he didin Denver

Given the QB situation, I don't think you can expect to him to even win next season. Mike will get a QB in the offseason and may keep Rex who might even start the season but the leash is going to be very short. If Rex does start the season it won't take long for him to throw up a stinker and then the other guy will come in for good. But then if its a rookie (most likely scenario) you have to expect a learning curve.

Either way, Mike's tenure here is going to be defined by how this next QB performs.

Archived