Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012 Draft - "And with the 6th pick, the Washington Redskins select...Riley Reiff OT from Iowa"...

jayneal7

You are aware that Brady, Rogers and the other top QBs are playing in organizations who have built solid lines to protect them. Put Brady behind our line and watch him implode too. No QB can do his job when he's getting hit in the mouth on every other pass play. We have one of, if not THE WORST offensive lines in the NFL. It has been that way for a long time. Build a real NFL line instead of the swiss cheese garbage we roll out there every week, and you may find that the 1st rd stud QB we eventually draft will be successful. We've had a lot of QBs roll through here and fail in the last 20 yrs. There has been one constant through all of that...a crap O-line.

That's wrong. Isn't it funny that elite quarterbacks always seem to have great offensive lines? Hmm...why could that be?

The quarterback makes the offensive line, not the other way around.

If we can't move up and select Luck or RGIII, then trade back and select Tannahil. The insiders believe this is who fit our scheme if we don't land the two prized QBs.

I will eat the crow and say that I like what I have seen Joe Webb do in a few games I have seen him play in. My thoughts are that maybe we can send a 3rd rounder to the Vikes for him. But trying and I said trying to think the way Shanahan will go in the draft the above is what I can see happening.

Let's plug in a average QB and watch how those gaurds look in NFL.
If those guards were out but Brees still played, they might do a little worse but would still be a playoff/Super Bowl caliber team.

If the guards played but Brees were out, they'd struggle to win as many games as we would.

ever paid attention to how good brees looks with TIME?

My 2 cents is that whilst I think the O-line is important, it is not top 8 picks in the draft important. We NEED a QB. We dont have to throw him in the deep end and watch him get smacked about for a season - I think we all agree Grossman is acceptable as a stop-gap if we bench our guy and give him time to develop, maybe getting him on the field for significant periods of time towards the end of the season. Our O-line isn't that bad, certainly not as bad as the apocalyptic visions some on here seem to hold. TW will be very good, quite possibly elite. KL looked good before the injury. The injuries have given us a chance to look at our depth (blessing in disguise?) and our depth has proven it's worth. If you factor in that we can upgrade our O-line through FA too, and if we bench our guy then we have one draft and FA after this season to plug the gaps before he takes the field as our starting QB in the first game of 2013. We have sucked for years, this isn't going to be a quick, easy or painless process, and we are going to have to trust in Shanny for another 2 or 3 years at least imo before we become real contenders. I'm happy to do that. Shanny is a winner and I honestly believe he can take us to a SB win if we give him the time, he is taking us in the right direction.

You are aware that Brady, Rogers and the other top QBs are playing in organizations who have built solid lines to protect them. Put Brady behind our line and watch him implode too. No QB can do his job when he's getting hit in the mouth on every other pass play. We have one of, if not THE WORST offensive lines in the NFL. It has been that way for a long time. Build a real NFL line instead of the swiss cheese garbage we roll out there every week, and you may find that the 1st rd stud QB we eventually draft will be successful. We've had a lot of QBs roll through here and fail in the last 20 yrs. There has been one constant through all of that...a crap O-line.

No, Green Bay's OL was considered a huge weakness until about midway last year. Brady's OL also was pretty mediocre.

You guys are giving the OP too much grief... My first hope is for a qb, but if the best are taken and we can't get the guy we love most when our pick comes up... getting an elite tackle prospect would be okay. I'd also be fine with the top CB on the board. I would not take a wr with the no. 1.

First choice is qb and obviously Luck and RGIII are the tops right now, but if they can't be found I would shoot for drafting a qb in round 2 and get the best player available at an area of need.

With the age of the 3-4 coming more and more heavy and better pass rushers coming into the league i wouldn't be mad at this pick. Considering RG3 is gone and Landry went back. Eagles have a damn good line, so do the Giants and the Cowboys will more than likely get a solid pass rusher outside of Ware sometime soon so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to take a Elite RT.

The Packers, Steelers, and Patriots all have average to maybe decent at best running games and are contending for Super Bowls.

Join us in 2011.

They have consistent running games, one's you can depend on every week because they get a push up front. Each team you mention have very good balanced play calling. Ya can't have that with a bad O line.

haven't we had 3-4 different 100 yard rushers this yr.??? Stop with the bad offensive line already. We need a QB who can make every throw,move well,recognize defenses, and who doesn't fold under pressure.

I think we've had all of 6 100+ yard games this season, with 4 in the last 4 games. That's below average in my book looking at the teams we've played this season. It has as much to do with the backs (Helu and Royster) as the lines play. The line has played better over the past few weeks because the constant shuffling has slowed down, and they have had time to gel. If our line was as good as you say, Rex wouldn't have free rushers in his face as often as he does.

Of course we need a QB, but we need a line up front that won't get him killed. Too many young QB's get the snot beat out of them, and are scared for the remainder of their careers.

They have consistent running games, one's you can depend on every week because they get a push up front. Each team you mention have very good balanced play calling. Ya can't have that with a bad O line.

Green Bay is #30 in rushing

New England is #19

Steelers are #15

You were saying?

Also #1 in rushing are the Vikings. #4 are the Bills.

I think we've had all of 6 100+ yard games this season, with 4 in the last 4 games. That's below average in my book looking at the teams we've played this season. It has as much to do with the backs (Helu and Royster) as the lines play. The line has played better over the past few weeks because the constant shuffling has slowed down, and they have had time to gel. If our line was as good as you say, Rex wouldn't have free rushers in his face as often as he does.

Rex does get hit a lot, but that's because of his poor elusiveness. However, his release allows him to avoid sacks. Also, we're top 10 in the NFL in QB attempts, so that skews the number of hits upward. I don't feel like calculating hits per attempt for each team atm.

As for the lines, if anything that hurts your case - Torain sucks, and made the line look worse than it actually was. Helu and Royster show signs of being at worst a part of a good rotation.

Of course we need a QB, but we need a line up front that won't get him killed. Too many young QB's get the snot beat out of them, and are scared for the remainder of their careers.

We're not the offensive line of 2009 or even 2010, no matter how much you want to pretend we are to poo-poo the idea of making a major investment at quarterback. We're at worst a mediocre/below-average line, and we've missed several starters and plugged in guys all season! We are not the Rams or the 2001 Texans - our O-Line is good enough that an elite QB, or even an above-average one, can work with it.

I have two opinions about this let me explain

1) I think with the emergence of our rookie and un drafted lineman stepping up there is some decent amount of depth there. Remember these guys have only played a hand full of games and showed that they at least deserve a shot. Drafting a lineman would not be a out of this realm only if the quarterback you want is off the board and there is a linemen rated that high to draft or just trade back and stock pile drafts.

2) Brady, Brees, P Manning these guys make their line play stellar. If they were behind our line they would Identify the pressure and get the play out of there hand before they get sacked that's what elite quarterback does. He makes up for alot of the teams ailments and flaws.

Why can't we have dominated line elite quarterback image us averaging 30-35 a game with a top 10 defense that we have now. I can dream right. :drooley:

Reiff is, in my mind, close to a worst case scenario for our draft.

Best scenario to worst:

- RGIII declares and falls to us

- We trade up for Luck or RGIII

- We trade back once or more and take Tannehill later in 1st while stockpiling other picks

- We sit tight and take Claiborne/Kirkpatrick or Blackmon/Floyd (though Claiborne and Blackmon are probs gone by 7)

- We take Reiff

Mainly, I would prefer we look to FA or the mid rounds for Oline. We need playmakers in specialty positions, starting with CB and WR, but of course our top need is QB. Shanahan has found talent in later rounds; if he wants Olineman, he'll find the right guys.

And honestly I'm not sold on anyone outside of Luck, RGIII, or Tannehill for QB, with the 3rd requiring some time even. Basically, Moore, Wilson, Keenum, etc., are developmental prospects who will need time, which we don't have, and are very suspect at the next level.

If this gets moved to the 2012 draft thread then everyone will have to sort through 20000 pages of comments when the next person suggests drafting Oline in the first round.

#7 pick is obviously too high for a RT. Is the OP suggesting that Trent Williams is a bust at LT but could be successful at RT? Or, should the Skins wash their hands of him and get whatever they can eventually in a trade? If the Skins traded down significantly in the first round (say picking up another 2nd round pick) I wouldn't be adverse to selecting a RT with the first or second round pick.

I assume this thread is taking a shot at our current offensive line by looking to draft a RT so early. The offensive line IS giving Grossman enough time to make plays in recent weeks. Chris Chester is probably our worst piece right now.

Grossman has the understanding of the offense to pick apart coverages. He has been making the right reads, but he just doesn't protect the ball enough. The fumbles are a problem for sure, and that comes from security and holding the ball too long. The interceptions for the most part are not making the wrong reads, but more on the side of physical limitations and errant throws. Underthrowing open receivers deep, missing receivers in close windows, (like his interception against the vikes) and hitting receivers in stride are all things that he hasn't displayed at an all-pro level. Aside from Schaub, Grossman probably has the best understanding of this type of offense in the NFL. Anyone else coming in will have to put it all together and there is always the learning curve to wait on.

My point is that no matter what line we give to Grossman the "Good Rex/Bad Rex" dynamic will always be there. He simply cannot make all the throws consistently enough to be an elite starter and his successor needs to be on this roster next season to start learning the offense. Whether that be the first pick or later is up to who is available come draft time.

I would predict us looking for another Wideout or going defense if QB isn't selected first round. Experts are giving this defense way too much credit and to be honest, they are getting beat around lately.

There's no question the number one need on this team is a QB, and it's not even close. That said, it's not out of the question to start thinking about our 1st round pick being spent on a position other than QB. Say RG3 goes back to school as has been rumored, and we can't get Luck or Bradford. Jones looks like he's going back to school and it remains to be seen if Shanny likes Tannehill enough to move back and take him 10-12 spots lower than our pick. If he doesn't like him, RG3 is back at Baylor and Luck/Bradford can't be had, it's all but a given we won't be spending a 1st round pick this year on a QB. Simply not another one worth a 1st round pick. And in that case, Reiff is a very strong possibility for us, based on need and value. Shanny has stated that it's time to start building the offense, just as last year was about getting the D up to par. And just as he did last year, it's likely he's going offense with his first couple picks in this draft. And if not a QB, OL and WR are the two likely spots. The 3 players that could fit the non-QB bill are Reiff, Alshon Jeffrey and Floyd, depending how he checks out in the character department. But I think if you're taking a guess right now, realizing it's a strong possibility that we won't have a QB Shanny likes on the board, Reiff would be a likely candidate, and a good one. Very good football player, at position of need (unless you're convinced Brown is the long-term answer) and a player deserving of a top 10 pick. The one position on the defensive side that could make Shanny go that way is corner, if Claiborne were to fall or Kirkpatrick wins him over as a must have. But in Reiff, you get a RT for the next 10 years who is a built-in replacement and insurance policy for Trent Williams, who is one strike away from missing an entire year.

We just don't need Oline men to protect the quarterback but to run our zone blocking scheme! We need a stud right tackle. I am absolutly fine with taking an Oline men with the first pick and picking up a quarterback with the second. Ryan Tannehill anyone!!??

---------- Post added December-25th-2011 at 11:08 PM ----------

We just can't raise the value of other quarterbacks that arn't worthy of our 7th pick.

Yup, our line has only given up 3 more sacks than the Packers OL. And a lot of that has to do with John Beck's ineptitude. Yet, Aaron Rodgers would TOTALLY be awful if he came here. :rolleyes:

There is no way Rodgers would have anything remotely similar stat wise behind our line, no way no how.

The Packers as a whole are much better than us, and the majority of the league, not just AR though. That defense has more takeaways than any other team in addition to a stud wr core. Hell he has 3 wr's in the top 15 in catch%. We on the other hand are kinda bad at hanging on to the ball.

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=WR

I'm in no way saying we shouldnt nab a QB with our first...actually hoping we do if Mike/Kylke really like a kid. I'm also not nieve enough to say a qb is the end all be all player that sets us up for 10 years WITHOUT properly addressing the o-line.

I'm really tired of people saying Cofield isn't getting it done. If that's what you still think, you haven't been paying attention. Cofield had been learning the 3-4 for the first time in his career, and he's begun to play it VERY well.

Even the "Skins haters" WP has written about how much he's improved. I don't always agree with them, but they got this one right.

Archived