Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Theisman, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Sonny Jurgensen

DCSaints_fan

Only Mark Rypien was drafted by the skins

Bethard/Gibbs, used to draft QB's mid round. They would model the team sweater on I.R. for the first year. These QB's always started their carrier with some "high ankle sprang, or some mysterious "blood disorder." Second year they would serve as the third QB, or serve as "clip board guy."

Jay Schroeder, Cary Conklin, Stan Humphries.....They all went through this.

This thread illustrates a good point - QB's......more than any other positions, don't usually resign with their own teams. Usually takes too long for a QB to develop - teams get tired of waiting, QB gets tired of the boo-birds.

The next team gets most of the benefit - the QB takes off, finally "gets it" and winds up in the pro-bowl.

What Super Bowl did Sonny Jurgensen play in? Jim Kelly and Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl. You can put Rex Grossman in that category also. So what is the purpose of the thread? The only thing that I can see from it is that all three Redskins won Super Bowls, except Jurgensen, and that we don't need a 1st round draft choice to win one. But I think we do need a QB that has good mechanics and doesn't get flustered under pressure. No one knows who this years Cam Newton or Tom Brady is going to be and we still don't know if there is one of those type of guys already on some NFL teams bench. The NFL is a crap shoot and you never know who you will get. All the scouting in the world isn't going to tell you his heart and determination to play for an NFL team. Money can change a man and his way of playing. They start to think about getting hurt and all the other things that weren't problems in high school and college until they started to get paid to play. I am not saying any of this will happen to any of the players but if you look at guys that were highly sought after coming out of the draft throughout the history of the draft, players like Mike Rozier, Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, and Andre Ware just to name a few. These guys crashed and burned after having stellar careers in college. There are not that many Bruce Smith's, Deion Sanders, Jerry Rice's, Emmitt Smith, Bret Favre's, Joe Montana's, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Sonny Jurgensen's, John Riggins, Sammy Baugh's or Walter Payton's that are in the draft. There are a lot of Maurice Clarett's, Mike Rozier's, Taylor Jacob's, Mike Williams', and Ryan Leaf's.

Yea, your right, and that was also 20+ years ago when you could have a good Oline, running game and decent WR's and not need a QB. Get with the times bro, you need a QB thats great-elite to be a competitor now. Look at the past 10 super bowls and who has won: Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Brady, etc; Get what Im saying? It doesnt take rocket science, you need the QB. Yes, 20 years ago you could win without a QB, and yes it is still POSSIBLE(see 49ers), but, the 49ers are going to lose in the first round, and the reason they lose is because they have no QB. Lets be real man, the decades of the Hogs are over, this is the league now where its possible 3 QBs might break Marinos record all in one year. You gotta look at the facts.

Mark Rypien, in 1991, to me was more impressive than Joe Theismann in 1983. Doug Williams was very good too in 1987. All three of them performed well down the stretch in route to the Super Bowl.

Go back and re-watch that 1991 super bowl year's season. I remember when I was a kid I though Rypien was awesome, but after re-watching every game, you can clearly see that Rypien was not the reason we did so well. I mean, our WR's were so wide open it is ridiculous. Gibbs was an offensive genius, and our WR's in Monk, Clark, and Sanders were so great at getting open, it was insane. Rypien would throw to the WR's and they were literally so wide open that there wasnt a defender around in 10-15 yards. Watch the Atlanta regular season and playoff game, even Dion Sanders couldnt cover the WR's. Rypien just had a cannon for an arm, and our receivers would just run great routes and run deep and Rypien would just heave it up for them. But yeah, go back and watch it, it really is crazy how open our guys were.

Mark Rypien, in 1991, to me was more impressive than Joe Theismann in 1983. Doug Williams was very good too in 1987. All three of them performed well down the stretch in route to the Super Bowl.

Can't agree with you there. Rypien had a great year in '91, but Theismann was THE MAN for us in '83. He was incredible that season.

As for D. Williams in '87, he was actually pretty inconsistent that year, which is why Gibbs kept switching between him and Schroeder so often. I don't even think it was known who would be the starter for the playoffs until close to that first postseason game.

And yeah, OP, Kilmer QB'ed this team to the Super Bowl in '72, not Jurgy. As great as Sonny was and is, he sadly never won anything for us of merit game-wise, although a lot of people think that, if he HAD played in SB 17, we'd have had a better chance to win it. Definitely won our hearts, though.

Rex Grossman

Brad Johnson

John Beck

Donnovan McNabb

Todd Collins

Shane Mathews

Mark Brunell

Rich Gannon

etc.

Starting QBs that we didn't draft that didn't win SBs w/ us.

Talking about one number w/o the context of any other numbers is garbage. You have to have some idea what the population is.

What do all the above have in common, besides all QB'ing the Redskins to Superbowl?

None of them played in the modern NFL, where everything is designed to benefit the passing game. Also, didn't Theismann and Rypien have to sit for a few years before they got their chance? We have an immediate need for a QB, not a project that is going to take several years to hopefully perform at a high standard. This isn't the 80's anymore.

None of them played in the modern NFL, where everything is designed to benefit the passing game. Also, didn't Theismann and Rypien have to sit for a few years before they got their chance? We have an immediate need for a QB, not a project that is going to take several years to hopefully perform at a high standard. This isn't the 80's anymore.

Also, when Ryp began getting playing time, he wasn't exactly a good qb; more like Rex, except he could throw deep and accurate most all the time, when he wasn't getting sacked or fumbling the ball.

But he did show steady improvement, with the help of numerous coaching personnel on the team, and it started showing in 90', peaking in 91'.

Of course back then we still had Jay and Doug on the team, so Mark was a project which we had time to work on; Gibbs had an eye for qbs, unfortunately they were rarely good for more than a year, and the expectations back then was exactly what the Steelers, Pats, and GB have today. Win now...

It's not the 80's any more, but I think everyine agrees a good OL and good receivers are necessary for a QB to have the numbers to be called a "good" QB. Bradford has all of the tools and his numbers stink. Alex Smith is not nearly the QB that Bradford is, but his club has won 10 games with 2 to go. The difference in those teams, among other factors, is the protection the OLine provides. The better QB's team is not doing better.

Cassel with Patriots - 11 win season. Cassel with the Chiefs - meh. Same QB - different OL, different receivers. Different results.

At some point you do have to draft the QB of the future or see if you can buy an upgrade duing FA. The dice have to be rolled eventually. But having a "good" or "franchise" QB is as much a function of the team surrounding him as his own ability, whether it's the 80's or 2012.

Sonny Jurgensen never quarterbacked the Redskins to the Super Bowl.

He had a ruptured achilles and missed the entire 1972 season.

Bill Kilmer QBd us to our first Super Bowl appearance.

~Bang

WHAT!!? Sonny went 4-0 as a starter for us in 1972 (including a win over defending SB champion Dallas) before he ruptured his achilles against the Giants:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1972.htm

Archived