Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Prometheus - Official Full HD Trailer 1st post! EPIC Sci Fi!(WARNING: Spoilers ahead).

steveo21

Saw Prometheus on Saturday night. It was pretty good but with certain weak scenes and plot lines. Very uneven between best scenes and worst scenes -- some "wow, I just saw that!" mixed with at least an equal measure of "that is just stupid filmmaking." The blog commentary posted earlier in the thread does a good job of fleshing out the notable examples of each.

The 74% on RottenTomatoes is maybe a few points on the low side, but having seen the movie I'd have been very surprised to see it come in anywhere above 85%. Judging from this thread thus far I'm expecting to get some "oh, you just didn't pick up on X, Y, and Z" or "you don't know enough about the Alien universe" etc. Nah, I get all that. The movie just has some very substantial weaknesses. :whoknows:

I enjoyed the movie, but I think that it relied a little bit too much on silence and mystery and while that built suspense, it still wasn't really *scary* and it just left too many things to be confusing. I'm not too upset about characters making stupid choices, because the crew is just a ragtag group of people assembled by Weyland. It's not a military or government mission, and it's not even a collection of the "best of the best." Most of them aren't even told what the mission is about until they get there.

But what annoyed me a little was how everyone just let David get away with things. He would read a mural on a wall, open a door, and nobody would say, "Hey David, what did that say?" And even when they get back to the ship, nobody sits down with David and asks, "Is their language closest to Egyptian/Mayan/Sumerian? What did the murals show? How do the doors work?" And when they get to talk with an engineer, he doesn't say anything. That feels like lazy writing to me - they couldn't decide exactly what they wanted to say, so they left it as a mystery to the viewer.

It's all just a little too open-ended, but I suppose that lends itself to viewer speculation, and a lot of possible hype for a sequel.

I finally figured out something that was confusing me (I think).

The engineers decided to destroy humans by mass building that black liquid but their own corrupted nature (going from life giving to life taking), turned on even them. Am I correct?

But I don't understand why they left an invitation dating back 35,000 years to this planet.

I don't really like the idea that the black goo somehow affects people based on their moral state. It seems to me that it just ****s with the evolutionary process and causes crazy mutations. And the engineers can probably adjust the formula for different outcomes. The opening scene definitely seems to show an engineer drinking the goo and sacrificing himself to create life on a planet. So maybe the black goo doesn't create life out of nothing, but it can create life from other life.

It seems like a lot of things could have happened on LV-223 between the time they inspired the cave paintings and the accident that killed everyone. I tend to believe that Lisbeth and Stringer Bell were right that the black goo had become weaponized somehow. Maybe for the express purpose of killing humans on earth, or maybe for some war between the engineers themselves. Whatever it was, David probably read it off the walls of the temple somewhere.

...and I think that David probably has more feelings than the people think. He had a very Blade Runner quality to him where there was clearly more going on than he was necessarily designed for.

The opening scene definitely seems to show an engineer drinking the goo and sacrificing himself to create life on a planet. So maybe the black goo doesn't create life out of nothing, but it can create life from other life.

That's the impression I got right away. Also- That's what may have been happening to Charlie, albeit a lot slower because he was fed a much smaller dose (only one drop) by David than the alien in the opening scene ingested. (?)

Watched the first 3/4 of the movie in 3D. The theater had technical problems, and both of the projectors would shut down randomly. We got moved to a different theater (one that's wasn't 3D) to finish the movie. Good movie, but the 3D wasn't that impressive or worth it. After being able to compare both images back to back, the non-3d image is brighter, smoother, and crisper. The 3D was cool at certain points, but never blew me away. I'm actually disappointed I didn't see the opening scene that was shot in Iceland in the better image quality of 2D.

I don't really like the idea that the black goo somehow affects people based on their moral state. It seems to me that it just ****s with the evolutionary process and causes crazy mutations. And the engineers can probably adjust the formula for different outcomes. The opening scene definitely seems to show an engineer drinking the goo and sacrificing himself to create life on a planet. So maybe the black goo doesn't create life out of nothing, but it can create life from other life.

I think the black goo triggers a different mutation depending on which type of lifeforms (DNA structure) has ingested it.

Did you also noticed the other type of space ship in the background when the engineer drinks the black stuff?. It is totally different in size and shape from the other one.

Did he stole the black goo from the creators, as Prometheus did with the fire?. I'm trying here to find out why creating humanity at your image and later trying to wipe it out.

If I'm not mistaken when Holloway questionned Shaw about her faith she's wondering who created the engineers (the Gods).

Mankind wants to meet with the Gods, the robot with its creators, until he finds out the flaws of mankind and wants to meet the Gods.

What is the green liquid in the alien vessel cryotubes room ? (looks like alien acid for blood).

Prometheus Writer Damon Lindelof Talks Potential Sequel Paradise

:ninja: I want to see where David takes Shaw at the end of the movie. I want to see the planet where the engineers come from. I'd like to see a sequel answering some of the questions posed in prometheus and more Fassbender as David

I want to know all that too. It's already been confirmed that Prometheus is the first movie of a trilogy, so we'll get our answers. :)

There's no way they'd tease us like that at the end and not make a sequel. That would be cruel LOL.

I think the black goo triggers a different mutation depending on which type of lifeforms (DNA structure) has ingested it.

Did you also noticed the other type of space ship in the background when the engineer drinks the black stuff?. It is totally different in size and shape from the other one.

Did he stole the black goo from the creators, as Prometheus did with the fire?. I'm trying here to find out why creating humanity at your image and later trying to wipe it out.

If I'm not mistaken when Holloway questionned Shaw about her faith she's wondering who created the engineers (the Gods).

Mankind wants to meet with the Gods, the robot with its creators, until he finds out the flaws of mankind and wants to meet the Gods.

What is the green liquid in the alien vessel cryotubes room ? (looks like alien acid for blood).

Prometheus Writer Damon Lindelof Talks Potential Sequel Paradise

I really like the idea that life on earth was started by a Prometheus alien (or maybe a group of them) who stole the black goo. And maybe the others found out about it later and wanted to kill us, but we were saved by Jesus or some other divine intervention.

There are really a million different ways they could go with a sequel, but I hope it stays within the Alien movie motif of a ragtag crew on an isolated planet discovers an alien, a corporation wants to use alien for nefarious purposes, someone getting an alien planted inside them, the alien kills almost everyone, but a few people manage to improbably escape. The Alien franchise is really pretty incredible in that it is different writers and directors creating variations on the same basic plot and the same movie monster but creating different and interesting stories.

Ninja. This theory is well worth the read, as it directly goes along with something Ridley Scott confirmed about the "space jockey" culture....

Donovan Glass • 6 days ago

To give some historical/mythological background that may shed some light, Ridley stated the SJ culture was based on Persian Myths. This would be Sumerian/Akkadian/Hindu. Ill just use Sumerian since its the oldest. This is all taken from the Atra Hasis.

Creators - "G"ods- Annunaki - Dragon Humanoids (Naga, Dragon Kings,)

Helpers - "g"ods - Igigi - Engineers. (Android like living beings....BIOmechanical humanoid. Key features- Pale skin and large black eyes. Also known as watchers, Grigori, and Archons) (in many summerian texts they are actually referred to as "Pilots". Pretty much the Annunaki Air Force.)

When the Annunaki began terraforming the earth, they had the Igigi do the work for them. After a few thousand years the Igigi revolted and went on strike. The Annunaki then decided to create humans to do the work for them.

They sacrificed one of the rebel Igigi named Geshtu to use his blood and dna to make human beings, by mixing it with elements native to the earth.

Even though the humans were created and did the work, 1/3 of the Igigi still werent satisfied and sought revenge for Geshtu, so they rebelled again against the Annunaki Lords and began breeding/mixing with the human females creating Nephelim. This is what sparked the Prime Lord Enlil to flood the earth. Some humans were saved by Enki, the Lord responsible for the sacrifice of Geshtu and the creation of humans. Enlil and the rest of the annunaki decide to return home and let the humans develop on their own. Enki and his family stay behind. The Igigi are forced to leave earth as well. The remaining rebel Igigi are imprisoned on a planet on the way back to the homeworld and it is said as punishment and as a mark they are altered into a demonic appearance, no longer retaining the Angelic appearance.

Enki and his crew are probably the ones leaving the maps for humans to find, along with the ones helping humans advance throughout time.

The sacrfice engineer is Geshtu

The lone engineer is most likely Marduk or a servant/worshipper of Marduk.

The xeno is Mushussu, a creature Marduk fashioned and used as his pet.

The "Engineers" we see are trying to destroy Earth are of the Igigi rebels who view earth as their own. They have always despised humans because the Annunaki saw us as more in their likeness than them. ITs possible that the Igigi have long since destroyed or taken over the annunaki and the homeworld, and Earth was like going to claim the prize or spoils.

They mustve used to the Xeno's to win this war and through its perfection it has began to destroy and infect the Igigi who manufacture and transport it, creating more Mushussu.

the xeno in Alien is most likely an older pilot igigi birthed Mushussu egg crossed with human or a future Annunaki birthed one which would explain the size difference in hosts.

It is mentioned in several lesser stories that Marduk created the Mushussu out of using the essence of the Gods' (Annunaki) he killed as a symbol of his conquering and being able to control them... ie the mural.

mind blown

mindblown.gif

just got back from seeing it a second time. caught a lot of little things i didn't notice the first time I saw it. i'll post some this evening when i get home, hate typing a lot on my phone lol

Saw Prometheus on Saturday night. It was pretty good but with certain weak scenes and plot lines. Very uneven between best scenes and worst scenes -- some "wow, I just saw that!" mixed with at least an equal measure of "that is just stupid filmmaking." The blog commentary posted earlier in the thread does a good job of fleshing out the notable examples of each.

The 74% on RottenTomatoes is maybe a few points on the low side, but having seen the movie I'd have been very surprised to see it come in anywhere above 85%. Judging from this thread thus far I'm expecting to get some "oh, you just didn't pick up on X, Y, and Z" or "you don't know enough about the Alien universe" etc. Nah, I get all that. The movie just has some very substantial weaknesses. :whoknows:

+1. My initial reaction was/is MEH.

Part of that has to do with the pseudo-religious themes of the subject matter. Sorry, that stuff just leaves me cold. No interest whatsoever for me.

I also agree about the holes and thin areas of the plot, the biggest of which IMHO is the reasoning for the chick wanting to go to the engineers' planet at the end of the movie. So I'm supposed to believe that these beings want to wipe out earthr and everything on it and she's going to go to their planet to find out why they created us? Hell no! I'm going to their planet to take the black goo back to them.

I saw it a second time yesterday, this one being in 3D. I feel the 2D is much crisper and the colors are vibrant.

SPOILERS AHEAD :ninja:

After reading some blogs and breakdowns of the film, I caught a lot of stuff the second time through. For me, there were three absurd parts that most people have touched on. One is Shaw wanting to go discover more only just seconds after begging to go home.

The second scene being the geologist and biologist getting lost after 3D mapping the structure and the captain watching their locations. Never says a word to them. The third being those same two guys scared out of their minds and then going up to an alien snake-like creature. These two scenes should have been removed from the film entirely. It created an independent side story that had no influence on anyone...even after Fifield came back and killed five guys, the captain didn't even bother to tell Shaw what just went down. She has no idea that it even happened. And just like that, that particular arc is wrapped up like it didn't even happen and just fades away. That must have been a remnant of a script rewrite but it's pretty sad that it remained in.

OMG... I'm so old... I hated this movie... I remember in seventh grade organizing a group of friends to go down to the state movie theatre and see the original Alien when it came out. I remember sitting in the balcony with a giant pack of MM's ( peanut) and when the first alien pop'ed ouf of that guys chest MM's went everywhere.. I turned around to check out my 4 buddies sitting behind me and they were covered with MM's... sure I showered a bunch of people sitting bellow me too..

I'm just to old for this genre of movie.. That sceen with the alien fetus / lasers / spatula's... OMG... I was physically recoiling.. If I had MM's they would have been everywhere again and this time not in a good way.

I was talking to my nephew who just graduated from HS, before I went who described Prometheus as "pretty good", also pretty tame.. He said movies like "OctaShark?" and "The Human Centipede" were scary... Those actually sound comical to me, sure I'm wrong... Prometheus wasn't so much as scary as it was physically repulsive... Like I said, I think I'm just too old for the genre.

I would say,, don't go, If you do go, don't buy MM's.

Watched the first 3/4 of the movie in 3D. The theater had technical problems, and both of the projectors would shut down randomly. We got moved to a different theater (one that's wasn't 3D) to finish the movie. Good movie, but the 3D wasn't that impressive or worth it. After being able to compare both images back to back, the non-3d image is brighter, smoother, and crisper. The 3D was cool at certain points, but never blew me away. I'm actually disappointed I didn't see the opening scene that was shot in Iceland in the better image quality of 2D.
I saw it a second time yesterday, this one being in 3D. I feel the 2D is much crisper and the colors are vibrant.

After seeing it first in 3D, then in IMAX 3D, I agree that 3D has a lower picture quality than 2D. However, IMAX 3D is beautiful. It's just as crisp as 2D, and almost (If not just as) bright. If you want to see a movie in 3D, definitely go IMAX. It's worth the extra money.

After seeing it first in 3D, then in IMAX 3D, I agree that 3D has a lower picture quality than 2D. However, IMAX 3D is beautiful. It's just as crisp as 2D, and almost (If not just as) bright. If you want to see a movie in 3D, definitely go IMAX. It's worth the extra money.

I'm sure IMAX is way better, but I just got the regular 3D with crappy glasses that slid all over the place.

:ninja: lol that scene was pretty freaking intense. i loved it. awesome how that thing stapled her up real quick afterwards.

I've seen it done in real life and the speed at which it happened in the film made it cool as hell. Definitely one of the better scenes in the movie.

id agree with you. some weaknesses but overall i enjoyed the film, id rate it about 85% or so.

my biggest beef about this film was that i wasnt on edge of my seat as much as i should have been. i liked the religious and death/beginning talk, but they had so much to work with and i feel they didnt deliver enough.

i thought the C-section scene was very well done and was easily the best scene in the movie. very intense.

Archived