Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Prometheus - Official Full HD Trailer 1st post! EPIC Sci Fi!(WARNING: Spoilers ahead).

steveo21

Some folks are casual fans for the Alien movies, but I'm a super nerd. I watched Alien before and again after seeing Prometheus. The Alien series is up there with the Terminator series for me (first 2 anyway), and the little answers and easter eggs that Prometheus gave us had me smiling form ear to ear during the movie.

As far as many of the unanswered questions go, Ridley Scott knows what he's doing. We'll have to wait a few years until the next two films come out, but we'll get our answers. :)

Saw it, liked it...didn't stick with me as being a classic, or stick with me in general, though.

Too many "Alien-cliche' scenes" as well...(spoilers ahead)

I mean, how many times are we gonna see the android get his head ripped off, then see him still talking afterwards...and with that white milk crap dripping from his mouth? lol...it's in seemingly every damn Alien movie.

The dozens (if not hundreds) of "eggs" (or egg-like "things") that the guys should NEVER EVER get near, but of course they always do...poking around and such. Come up with a different visual already!

Yes of course there's always some "other" agenda that's really behind the crew going to some unknown planet...and it's always due to the greed of some billionaire (in this case, the greed was that he wanted more life). We get it. None of this would have happened if not for the greed of corporations and/or the disgustingly wealthy.

What were misses in my opinion:

- I wasn't feeling as if Earth was in any disastrous danger...yeah, intellectually I understood what could happen, but emotionally I never felt any sense of "OMG, if that thing gets to Earth!!..."...nor did I feel like any of the characters really had that feeling, either (except for Shaw). When the captain and his two crew members all agreed to sacrifice their lives to stop the ship, it seemed a little too easy for them to make that decision. It was almost like this:

Shaw: "Stop that ship! It's going to wipe out earth!"

Captain. "Ok."

Crew members: "Yep, no problem."

- Having Theron's character die the way she did was more comical than anything lol...I half expected to see a flattened version of her after the ship kept rolling, like Wile E. Coyote after a huge bolder falls on him.

- Guy Pierce's character was one million percent unnecessary. In fact, seeing Pierce underneath all that "old person" make-up was distracting, and took me out of the movie during his scenes. They should have just hired an actual aging actor instead.

- The movie never adequately explained how Shaw and the other scientist determined that the alien beings were "engineers"...they sure didn't get that from the cave drawings lol. And it's one thing to discover there's a DNA match with humans...quite another to determine that they purposefully came to earth to engineer the human race.

What were hits in my opinion:

- Visuals were often stunning...especially at the beginning of the movie.

- A number or scenes were intense (the C-Section scene already mentioned being #1 on the list)

- Kept my attention the entire time (no boring stretches at all, at least for me)

- Acting is very good almost across the board (Theron was the weak link imo)...although I part ways with almost everyone else on this thread in that I think Noomi Rapace was definitely better than Michael Fassbender. Actually I think he was the least successful of the three actors that played androids in the Alien movies, with Ian Holm coming out on top (I never saw Alien 3). He was still good, just not as good as his predecessors.

- Loved the "fight" between that last engineer and the squid-thing that Shaw had removed during the C-Section. (sorry, I don't get into the actual names of the aliens and planets and stuff lol)...that came off as incredibly realistic.

Yep, I believe somebody posted a few links in this thread that confirmed it. :)

Ninja:

I believe he said one film will follow the story of our alien at the end, and show how they were able to get to other planets (the planet from Alien and Aliens was different from Prometheus.

The other film of course will follow Dr. Shaw and David the Droid as they "go to where the engineers came from."

Some folks are casual fans for the Alien movies, but I'm a super nerd. I watched Alien before and again after seeing Prometheus.

I imagine it would be more than a little distracting to watch Alien after watching Prometheus, mainly because the technology on the ship in Alien looks so antiquated and old fashioned...and Alien takes place after Prometheus. It's like technology took a HUGE step backwards in between the two movies lol...

I imagine it would be more than a little distracting to watch Alien after watching Prometheus, mainly because the technology on the ship in Alien looks so antiquated and old fashioned...and Alien takes place after Prometheus. It's like technology took a HUGE step backwards in between the two movies lol...

Just like Star Wars. I suppose that's the burden on prequels. In reality our film-making prowess and technology has increased but producers/directors are screwed because they want to make a film earlier in a story timeline.

I just saw this spoof on the scientists of Prometheus. It explains a lot.

Califan, it was even't funny. As soon as ALien started, the model they used as the Nostromo literally made me laugh out loud LOL.

But always wondering what the space jockey was, and where it came from. That scene close to the end where the droid hit the button on the alien ship and the space jockey chair came up out of the floor.......goosebumps bro!

Another really good write up here, an article called "Filling in the Blanks." Basically a breakdown of all the links and little easter eggs between Alien(s) and Prometheus. :)

http://thewertzone.blogspot.in/2012/06/filling-blanks-tying-prometheus-to.html

Just like Star Wars. I suppose that's the burden on prequels. In reality our film-making prowess and technology has increased but producers/directors are screwed because they want to make a film earlier in a story timeline.

I just saw this spoof on the scientists of Prometheus. It explains a lot.

It's like they made a youtube video based on my previous post :ols: :applause:...

Califan, it was even't funny. As soon as ALien started, the model they used as the Nostromo literally made me laugh out loud LOL.

Oh, definitely, the model was incredibly cheesy lol :yes:...but the ship's interior was beautifully done. Well, other than the circa 1982 computer monitors and the graphics ON those computer monitors :ols:...who knew that 200 years in the future we'd still be using clunky monitors and DOS? :ols:

It amazes me that writers could have such a huge imagination to think up every aspect of the environment and world of "Alien" back then, but couldn't imagine computers and their imagery any better than this:

nostromo_computer.jpg

Northing says "advanced computer technology" better than colored lights :thumbsup:

But always wondering what the space jockey was, and where it came from. That scene close to the end where the droid hit the button on the alien ship and the space jockey chair came up out of the floor.......goosebumps bro!

That scene was incredible, I agree...just stunning.

• 2 weeks later...
I know i'm like a month behind the rest of you but just saw it with the boy. Gotta say i really enjoyed it and thought the story (though some untold) was excellent. Can't wait for the next one!

I'm with ya. Great movie.

One of the biggest complaints some people have is how the movie ends without closing things up. I'm not sure what part of "its the first movie of a trilogy" folks don't understand :ols:

I'm with ya. Great movie.

One of the biggest complaints some people have is how the movie ends without closing things up. I'm not sure what part of "its the first movie of a trilogy" folks don't understand :ols:

No doubt, Ridley's def giving just enough taste that makes you want more for when the 2nd installment comes out.

The engineers gave me the Sumerian/annunake (sp) vibe with their size. If you watch "Ancient Aliens" on History channel that is.

I just googled Sumerian Annuaki, pretty interesting stuff.

Not sure if you've been following this thread, but there are a few links posted with some REALLY interesting breakdowns/analysis of Prometheus, as well as references and tie-ins to the Alien story line.

• 3 months later...

Just saw this movie. First, I did not think it was as good as Alien or Aliens. I am not an "Alien junkie" either, but those movies were much more intense to me. For a while, this movie bored me.

Second, (spoiler alert) was the ending that the engineers had created the human race merely for the purpose of creating the alien "weapon" species? The whole reason they sent their DNA to earth, etc., was so that later they could send the "pre-weapons" to earth and have them grow in human bodies without harming their own engineer species? That's what I got from it, but didn't see anything like that after googling around.

Tons of plot holes in this movie though, wasn't there?

Paradise (Prometheus 2) on the way 2014 or 2015.

"The studio's big summer bet was Ridley Scott's Prometheus, June's sort-of Alien prequel. The $130 million-budgeted film grossed a solid but not spectacular $303 million globally, putting it right on the franchise bubble. Fox confirms to THR that Scott and the studio actively are pushing ahead with a follow-up (stars Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace are signed) and are talking to new writers because Prometheus co-scribe Damon Lindelof might not be available. "Ridley is incredibly excited about the movie, but we have to get it right. We can't rush it," says Fox president of production Emma Watts, who also has overseen the successful reboots of the X-Men and Planet of the Apes franchises by turning over the reigns to innovative filmmakers. A Prometheus sequel would be released in 2014 or 2015."

Paradise (Prometheus 2) on the way 2014 or 2015.

"The studio's big summer bet was Ridley Scott's Prometheus, June's sort-of Alien prequel. The $130 million-budgeted film grossed a solid but not spectacular $303 million globally, putting it right on the franchise bubble. Fox confirms to THR that Scott and the studio actively are pushing ahead with a follow-up (stars Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace are signed) and are talking to new writers because Prometheus co-scribe Damon Lindelof might not be available. "Ridley is incredibly excited about the movie, but we have to get it right. We can't rush it," says Fox president of production Emma Watts, who also has overseen the successful reboots of the X-Men and Planet of the Apes franchises by turning over the reigns to innovative filmmakers. A Prometheus sequel would be released in 2014 or 2015."

Awesome. Kind of funny that they're naming the movie Paradise. The bit that explains why that makes sense was left on the cutting room floor. Hope Scott goes back and does a directors cut of Prometheus at some point adding some of the cut scenes back in.

Awesome. Kind of funny that they're naming the movie Paradise. The bit that explains why that makes sense was left on the cutting room floor. Hope Scott goes back and does a directors cut of Prometheus at some point adding some of the cut scenes back in.

Only too true. A director's cut (and heavily edited) version needs to be made. I'm honestly 50/50 on the film as it is. I loved some of it and hated some of it.

I am hoping for some fan edits soon...maybe one where they nearly or completely cut out Fifield and the biologist. After his "zombie" return and kills a bunch of people, the Captain never tells Shaw what just happened, lol.

Archived