Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WashingtonExaminer-Thom Loverro: It's hard to find much to like about these Redskins

my_friend_goo

As you've all probably seen on the Washington Examiner site by now:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/nfl/2011/11/thom-loverro-hard-find-much/1955746

Well screw you, Loverro!

I love how Ryan Kerrigan has fit in ever since day one, playing with passion and fire and acting the complete professional.

London Fletcher gets older, but never backs down from being a leader and setting an example on the pitch.

Rex Grossman may be the butt of many's jokes, but I've got to side with a guy who all the same goes out there every Sunday, thick skinned and plays to the best of the ability he has. He may drive us all up the wall with the picks (slow learner much?), but no matter how he's been treated (as in benched) or how many mistakes he makes, he shows me resilience.

I like how silently Bowen, Carriker and Cofield are having pretty good seasons, showing us that they're far more suitable as Redskins than Fat Al ever was.

There's plenty to like about the potential that players such as Riley, Helu, Jenkins, Hankerson, Gomes and Neild have shown, even in limited playing time and I'm certainly not going to dislike any of them until they give me good reason to.

Hopefully, I've got the ball rolling here. The season may not be great, but what he's saying is (largely) ridiculous. Anyone else wanting to chip in?

I like how Mike Sellers continues to show his leadership. Sunday he stepped in to yank Gomes away from a potential personal foul when he was jawing with a Seahawk.

I like how Perry Riley, when given the chance, has stepped in to a starting role and played great. And, I like how the coaches put him in a position to succeed. How often have we seen Skins coaches stick with a guy because he was the starter? Hell, when was the last time a BACKUP stepped in to play better than the starter?

We've seen glimpses of draft pick success (Horton comes to mind) only to see them fail. I'm liking what I see from all of last years picks. Great job Mr. Allen!!

Shanahan/Allen have added a lot of young pieces in the last 2 seasons. Williams, Helu, and Hankerson on offense and Kerrigan, Riley, and Jenkins on defense to name a few (and all were drafted).

The defense is close. We could use a run stuffing, space eating NT. Neild may be that guy, or we may have to draft one or look to FA. Coefield should be much more effective as a push rushing NT and as a DE on run plays. The LB's are set...we could just use some depth. The CB's are functional but not great. Maybe we add on in FA? And resigning Landry is a priority...if he is healthy.

Obviously we need a lot of help on offense. At least we have some pieces to work with. A playmaking TE in Davis, a big WR in Hankerson, a one cut RB with speed in Helu, and a LT with an attitude in Williams. We just need to finally find that franchise QB who will be our guy for the next 10 seasons. He doesn't even have to be elite like Brady, Brees, or Rodgers. Just very good, in the mold of Eli or a Matt Ryan. Getting a great one would be a bonus. And we need to add several OL. We need depth on the OL badly. This season derailed fast when Williams missed time and Lichtensteiger went down for the year.

If we draft high enough to land a Barkley or a RGIII, and are able to also pick up 2-3 OL in the draft (preferably in the higher rounds and not in round 7 like last season) we will be fine. But unfortunately without that QB we will continue to flounder as we have done for the last 20 years.

He's spending too much time on The Sports Reporters. The pessimism of Andy Pollin and Steve Czaban is rubbing off on him.

And is it just me, or does he sound like he's inhaled helium when he talks? As he gets more excited, his voice goes up the octave scale. When he's really agitated, only neighborhood dogs can hear him.

He highlighted the bad but they were good points about how some players are acting lately.

It's more the examples he's given of why this is one the least likeable teams from recent times, yet whilst many of us are tired of the jawing that Landry and Hall provide at some of the worst possible times, it's hardly as if the same doesn't happen on countless NFL teams past and present.

Were the '09 team that much more likeable?

He's spending too much time on The Sports Reporters. The pessimism of Andy Pollin and Steve Czaban is rubbing off on him.

And is it just me, or does he sound like he's inhaled helium when he talks? As he gets more excited, his voice goes up the octave scale. When he's really agitated, only neighborhood dogs can hear him.

This post is too funny...

I usually respect Loverro, but i was inclined to personally tweet him over his opinion. His rationale is totally idiotic IMO... Sometimes i think he needs to stick to baseball & boxing, and leave football alone.

---------- Post added November-29th-2011 at 01:57 PM ----------

He's spending too much time on The Sports Reporters. The pessimism of Andy Pollin and Steve Czaban is rubbing off on him..

you're not too far off there.

---------- Post added November-29th-2011 at 01:59 PM ----------

Were the '09 team that much more likeable?

I asked Loverro the samething, he has yet to respond. I doubt he responds actually....

And that voice comes out of this person:

20091127-012937-pic-813476768_s640x426.jpg?d9df90bc03b78ac13713e2120229f166a08c6acb

It's not as disconnected as Mike Tyson's was but it's not far off.

I like Loverro but I don't understand this piece. First, he has admitted in the past to not being a Redskin fan so I don't see how he can ask a fan of the team whether or not they like something a player does or does not do.

As a fan, some things a player does I don't have a problem with (Davis' td celebration). On the other hand I hate Laron Landry so every little thing he does pisses me off probably alot more than other fans.

I, as the OP mentioned, too find myself rooting for Rex. I don't understand the hate for him. We gave up no picks for him. He's been given bargain basement contracts that are just one year deals. And yet he's treated like crap for some reason. I originally rooted for him because of McSuck but now I find myself hoping he succeeds not because I think he's a long term solution, but rather because the abuse he takes is not nearly proportionate to his level of production.

There are others too. The draft class appears good. I don't find this team any more unlikable than any other one in recent years. The losing always gives a negative feel to any season. Remember 2006. That whole fiasco with the leaks to the press? Was that team more likable?

Also Loverro has to get his years right. Bruce Smith and the sack record coins was during the 2003 season, not 2000. I know it's the same player but Bruce Smith actually had a good season in 2000 and was a leader. Things went sour with him in 2003 when he (and Little Danny) seemed consumed with the sack record instead of the team floundering around.

So to answer Tom, no this team isn't more unlikable than others. But the losing sucks as much now as it did in 2010 or 2006 or 2003.

Sorry -- 2009 was far less likeable!

And I don't get his point -- if it's all over the NFL, what makes the Redskins so different or special? I actually like a little enthusiasm.

He really should have ended that article with "P.S. I am not a crackpot"

And for him to use the Steelers as some sort of moral compass is funny to me. Those guys prance around as much as anybody.... I just don't get his angle.

I read the article and I agree with some of the points Loverro was saying like the inconsistent play and all but to go as far as to say there is nothing to like on this team is a bit of a stretch. I agree with the OP on the guys he named as being guys you are excited to see about in the future like Helu, Hankerson and Gomes. But Loverro is right about the two teams wanted to give away the game to the other team and I guess the Seattle Seahawks were worse than our Washington Redskins were. INT's, fumbles, penalties and many other things just keep us from mounting any kind of sustain drives although we did a lot of things right this past Sunday. The Jets won't be as giving as the Seahawks were. Although he makes some good points I think he went overboard on the not liking the team issue.

I read this earlier and it pissed me off. Then I listened to 980 and he was on there trying to convince everyone that this team isn't likable.

What he leaves out is that this is actually a young team, and young teams will show their age at times like this. The guys have been feeling the pressure, they were pissed from last weekend, and it boiled over yesterday. I was glad to watch Shanahan's PC and when asked about the extracurriculars that took place after a few plays, and he mentioned that this team has been disciplined and yesterday wasn't great in that regard, but he didn't find it necessary to make a big deal of it because that's just how it goes sometimes.

Loverro was acting like these guys have been doing this all year, but for most of the guys this wasn't their normal way of acting. I like this young team having the occasional bout with immaturity over '09(and just about every year before them)'s old team with it's immaturity and inability to play.

I understand the point he was trying to make but I don't think it's very defensible. First of all the guy isn't a Redskins fan so he isn't going to like a lot of things burgundy and gold to begin with. But asking if the 2011 Redskins are the least likable squad this franchise has fielded in a long time is pure hyperbole.

I like the heart Grossman has. Love Santana Moss - one of the all time Cowboy killers and one of the Redskins greats. What's not to like about our rookie draft class? Helu, Kerrigan, Neild, Hurt, Paul and Hankerson - we have something to build on here. I like the way our defensive line is playing. Love our whole linebacking core. Josh Wilson has been fantastic.

And yes I did feel good watching Jabar Gaffney taunting the home fans. After reading how some of their fan base treated some of our fan base at the playoff game a few years ago (and confirmed after the way the players were pushing and shoving on Sunday) I've wanted the worst for them.

What this sounds like is this;

"RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE, KIDS THESE DAYS AND THEIR WACKY CELEBRATIONS, WITH THEIR DAMN BAGGY JEANS AND THEIR IPADPHONES! IN MY DAY YOU HAD TO WALK FIFTEEN MILES UPHILL BOTH WAYS IN THIS SNOW TO EARN THE RIGHT JUST TO ASK THE REFEREES IF YOU COULD MAYBE RAISE YOUR HAND IN VICTORY, AND EVEN THAT WAS CONSIDERED DISTASTEFUL!"

We always ask for the players to show fire and to show it matters and blah blah blah. Then when they do, and they get a little chippy with their opponents and show that fire and passion, we complain about it. I'm sure Mike reamed Davis nice and good about earning a 15 yard flag.

And the bullcrap at the end---"Mike's not warm and fuzzy either"---who gives a crap if the coach is warm and fuzzy? Rex Ryan is big and boisterous and warm and fuzzy and his team is FAR more undisciplined and stupid than are.

Loverro really came off like a grumpy old man in the article. I thought it was a quality feel good type of win and he found the absolute worst to take out of it. And whats not to like about players like Kerrigan, Armstrong, Helu, Grossman, Orakpo, etc....Hell, even Rex comes off as someone who you root for because his flaws are so public.

I also find it ironic because Sean Taylor in my opinion played with the nasty demeanor that we're seeing from some of the guys identified in the article. Frankly i think a lot of the fans gravititated to Sean (way before the media did, if they ever did) because of how ferocious he played on the field and how he showed no regard for the opponents or his body. I think we'd back some our our guys just as much if they backed it up on the field like Sean did.

The reasons he points out for them being "unlikable" don't bother me at all. This celebrations BS only comes up when teams are losing or a player is unpopular. It's blown way out of proportion by people looking for something to complain about most of the time. If the skins were 9-2 right now people would have gif's of the celebrations Thom is ****ing about in their forum signatures.

look it (get it?) thom loverro is a baseball guy and could honestly care less about the redskins. of the regular shows he's second behind only the korn for redskins apathy. then again korn might quit if they made him devote an entire show to anything sports related.

so as a non-redskins fan (unlike doc, coach, sheehan, and even andy and czabe) doing a sports show about a sport you don't like all that much and about a team that's flat out not good, and hasn't been good for a long time, you're not going to get great material.

his view of the redskins is more honest than most of ours, because he doesn't have his blood connected to the team. he's like all the media people that we wrote were idiots for putting the redskins last in the division with between 2-5 wins. at the end of the day, guess what? they're usually more right than us.

i don't get how you can take umbrage to what he saying though. he's right. it's absolutely silly that our team is jawjacking and getting in fights with a non-division, non-regional, non-rival team. i thought the fred davis penalty was a bad call, but i didn't hear what he said. what i have seen is him turn out to be one of the biggest disappointments on this roster after what he did in relief of cooley. this was supposed to be our main guy who is ultra athletic and extremely dependable, but what is he? a guy who drops passes and picks up most his stats at the end of games usually in a loss.

jabar you want to taunt the crowd? how about knowing where the back line is in the endzone? the way he acts you would think he was a super star. i think pete carroll's comment about golden tate applies hear "i don't think he's reached the end zone enough to know how to act"

trent williams has to get in fights otherwise we would forget that he was the 4th overall pick in the draft two years ago. he can't stay healthy, can't reliably block, but he sure is consistent in his 15 yard deadball penalties.

but let's not forget the king of mouth running and ass not cashing, mr. meangelo hall. it's funny that he's a captain because there are a bunch of guys that follow suit with him. i bet he's sleeping well though with his game ending pick a week after he made the most pathetic plea for attention since the last time TO suited up.

oh they should cut me, i'm soooo bad. what a baby.

he is bad, he's been bad all year. even his pro bowl year came from 1 game. dhall is a playmaker who doesn't make plays. that means he takes gambles, but never cashes in. he's dropped about 5 ints this year iirc and you can't do that if you allow plays every single game. thank god his tackling is better.

but i would absolutely take 10 josh wilsons over dhall.

if you weren't embarrassed by the attitude of the redskins on sunday, i don't know what to tell you.

Archived