Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Were you excited when we drafted Jason Campbell

issapunk

With all of this talk on who we will draft as our future QB, it got me thinking about JC. I was kind of young when he was drafted and did not follow football like I do today. Was our fanbase excited about JC? Did we see him as the QB we all waited for? I ask this because I don't want to put all my hope in whoever we draft and have them fail again.

We telegraphed that we wanted Campbell when we traded up prior to draft day after Gibbs had been to Auburn to look at Rogers and Campbell. I thought taking Campbell was a reach and figured he was more of a high second round guy. Was actually hoping Aaron Rodgers slid to us but he got scooped up one pick before we took Campbell.

---------- Post added November-10th-2011 at 05:40 PM ----------

Was the purpose of us moving up to get Rodgers and then settled on JC? We must have assumed the Packers would not be interested in a 1st round QB...

We traded up prior to draft day, something that you rarely see. At the time we traded up Rodgers was still projected at the top of the 1st round and possibly #1 overall. Campbell was our target.

We wanted Campbell. It was well known. We made the trade the day before and everybody that Rodgers would be long gone by then.

Gibbs even got criticized in the national press for telegraphing the move.

Excited, yes, but not super excited. Campbell always seemed to slow in terms of his delivery and motion to be a great QB.

As a fan of the opposition, I can tell I was pissed that the Redskins got Campbell. I was impressed with his completion percentage at Auburn, as well as size, athleticism, etc. I thought the timing of the trade was pretty, well, stupid, but it worked out, at least on draft day.

No. It was baffling to me that we would trade picks to move up and pick a young QB (which was painfully obvious even though the front office wouldn't admit it) when we had a young QB on the roster already. Basically it meant Gibbs was never going to go with Ramsey, making him for all intents and purposes a colossal bust, and we were trying again. For the third time in 11 years. Yet another symptom of our high front office turnover and player mismanagement.

A high pick for a QB this year would be completely different. There is no Ramsey on this yeam. No young guy we've all been waiting to see get his chance. In fact, there's nothing at QB at all. A high pick for a QB this time around should be a no-brainer.

I went to Cal and had seen Aaron Rodgers play all throughout college, so I was beside myself with excitement when it looked like he might fall to us. I wasn't sure if we'd pick him, but to me, it was a no-brainer. I was furious when Green Bay took him and we got Campbell, but it wasn't so much about JC as it was about missing out on Rodgers. I just could. not. BELIEVE Aaron Rodgers fell that far. He should have been the top pick in the draft. It'd be like Andrew Luck somehow falling almost to the second round.

Once I got over it, I was just glad we had a QB. I remember reminding myself that there are no sure things when it comes to QBs, and it's always a little bit of a crapshoot, but I'd been excited about drafting Patrick Ramsey too, and that didn't end well.

I was enthusiastic. We took the winner of the Brunell-Ramsey competition to be our vet starter. And now we had our QB of the future.

Looking back on it now, darn those Packers!

Thinking about, kinda neat how this parallels Shanny's moves. Both Gibbs and Shanny made an expensive trade for a vet QB, in year 1. Hope Shanny can pick a QB better than Candle.

Yes because Joe Gibbs drafted him, I felt he wasnt given a fair shake with our new coach. The way it looks now Jason Campbell is better then both of the quarterbacks on our team. We get rid of him for Donovan then trade Donovan now we are in the same place. Jason was looking good before he got hurt with the Raiders. We still stink arent we tired of missing the playoffs? We have played one playoff game at home since FEDEX Field was built what a home field advantage that we never get to use.

Yes because Joe Gibbs drafted him, I felt he wasnt given a fair shake with our new coach. The way it looks now Jason Campbell is better then both of the quarterbacks on our team. We get rid of him for Donovan then trade Donovan now we are in the same place. Jason was looking good before he got hurt with the Raiders. We still stink arent we tired of missing the playoffs? We have played one playoff game at home since FEDEX Field was built what a home field advantage that we never get to use.

The Redskins beat the Lions at FedEx Field in the 1999 playoffs.

Archived