Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daily Kos: The End Of Twitter And YouTube

#98QBKiller

Sounds a little dramatic and I doubt this will ever pass, but who could this possibly be good for besides big business?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/10/25/1029775/-The-End-Of-Twitter-And-YouTube?via=siderec

The End Of Twitter And YouTube

A bit of an emergency: The rumor all over Capitol Hill is that the House version of the Internet Blacklist Bill (PROTECT IP Act) will be introduced this week -- probably tomorrow -- by congressmembers Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), Lamar Smith (R-TX) and others.

Our allies on the Hill say the bill's so bad that it could effectively destroy YouTube, Twitter, and other sites that rely on user-generated content by making the sites' owners legally responsible for everything their users post. Nobody will want to take that risk, so these sites and others could be forced to shut down if it manages to pass as it stands.

Facebook, Myspace, and Google+ would be at risk. The cyberlocker and streaming provisions could affect your iPhone, Android, AmazonCloud, Pandora, Grooveshark and even your email accounts.

Our information is not from bomb-throwing activists, but rather the people who run some of the most established and respected civil liberties and tech freedom outfits, along with lobbyists for a few corporations that oppose the legislation.

The original PROTECT IP Act would give the government new powers to block Americans' access to sites accused of copyright infringement. Its Senate form would enable censorship and generally stifle innovation online. (Which is why civil libertarians, tech activists, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, and Internet engineers have vocally opposed it.) It's being pushed by Hollywood, the Recording Artists, Pharma, and the Chamber of Commerce. It was introduced by Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) and is being blocked by a 'hold' issued by Ron Wyden (D-OR).

This new, even more extreme position might be a negotiating tack, or it might be a manifestation of DC's limited knowledge about the Internet and how most Americans make use of it -- a failing they've demonstrated time and again in recent months.

Either way, all of this is -- surprise -- being driven by a few major corporations that are trying to protect their private profits. They're combining at least four of their more noxious proposals into this omnibus grab-bag of corporate goodies.

The draft bill would:

1) Give the government and private corporations new powers to block access to sites accused of copyright infringement;

2) Criminalize the streaming of copyrighted content;

3) Restrict cloud-based storage services, music lockers, and the like;

4) Create the aforementioned new liabilities for sites that encourage the posting of user-generated content.

"private corporations new powers to block access to sites accused"

Are we outsourcing the executive and legislative branches of government now?

Private ANYTHING should contact the authorities (government) that should then investigate and file charges in court (legislative). If the courts find cause then they can issue an order.

Yawn...

People make money on youtube simply by uploading copyrighted material to which they have no legal rights. Hell, youtube became the massive presence it is and holds the monetary value it does in large part for the same reason. That's a reality that must be addressed, regardless of how much we individually love having access to old Spongebob Squarepants videos on demand lol...

The bill is poorly written and as such won't find it's way into established law. More than likely it'll get watered down to being little more than what the laws on the books are now.

Guess I just tire of the "This is the end of everything we love" rhetoric that gets used a little too much by some in the media. No real discussion or in-depth analysis is ever done in these pieces, mostly just a laundry list of worst-case scenarios.

I understand how you guys got so mixed up on the Tea Party now. Since two people are a representative sample of millions. (Except when THAT is inconvenient for you.)

And I understand why you stay in the GOP, since you refuse to see the connection between these two (and the others that are supporting the bill in Congress) and all the other wack-jobs on the Right. If I refused to see time after time after time the elected officials and the party leadership proves themselves to be hypocritical morons who want to pander to the least common denominator through fear and through sheer ignorance then I would have probably stayed too.

I agree.

Elected representatives represent no one.

~Bang

Bang you must ignore the fact that they are elected officials and that there are other supporters of this bill in Congress, and you must concentrate on the fact that they are just two citizens alone in the world. Otherwise you might come to the conclusion that the GOP is full of idiots.

---------- Post added October-27th-2011 at 05:25 PM ----------

Politicians are the best we have. How sad is that?
\

I don't think that's true any more, if it ever was.

The issue isn't the gummint. It's us.

Since we continue to elect them...yep

Archived