Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So seriously are we always going to suck?

RichmondRedskin88

Who told you this team was different and special? I don't remember hearing that from Redskins Park or anybody else. I mean, of course players are going to feel every year that they can take it all the way - I would be disappointed hearing anything different. However, realistically, you have to realize why this franchise has been perennial losers season in and season out. No continuity within the franchise. You are not a winner if you change head coaches every two to three years. It just won't work. Dan Snyder has hired a pretty good GM in Bruce Allen, and in turn has hired a proven winner in Mike Shanahan. That is the first and second step. Now, the next step is the toughest, because it won't happen overnight or within a season or two - and that's rebuilding the franchise from top to bottom. We are still young into that process, but seeing the drafts the 'skins have had, they're doing it the right way. It may take Shanahan the entire length (in seasons) of his contract to put the Redskins back into that elite status that were at in the 80's, but if that's what it takes, we as fans should be patient and allow the process to happen.

Besides, the Redskins are setting at 3-3 after week 7. Before the season started, the majority of fans had us pegged to go anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7. Which means, we're pretty much on track to accomplish that. There are still some major holes that need plugging - not to mention the injuries that are mounting up on this team. I'm ten years old than you and probably feel it's worse on us older people because we have experienced the glory years and we realized how it feels to have a consistent winner and how frustrating it feels to have the opposite of that for the last twenty years - but all I can tell you is patience.

I remember Shanahan saying that- we would be proud of this team.... That's about it, however, Personally I would give up the entire draft to get Luck (providing he is the next P. Manning type player). I know that we have many other holes to fill, but when was the last time we had a franchise QB that we could depend on?...... Theisman? It would be worth it to have the QB for the next 12 to 14 years if he is that guy. To me.... it would be worth it even if we were terrible next year so he could learn. just my 2 cents.....

I remember Shanahan saying that- we would be proud of this team.... That's about it, however, Personally I would give up the entire draft to get Luck (providing he is the next P. Manning type player). I know that we have many other holes to fill, but when was the last time we had a franchise QB that we could depend on?...... Theisman? It would be worth it to have the QB for the next 12 to 14 years if he is that guy. To me.... it would be worth it even if we were terrible next year so he could learn. just my 2 cents.....

We can't just count on luck being the next manning. It doesn't work like that. Every draft pick is a risk. Its up to the team make the pick they think will be the best and pan out.

It starts and stops at quarterback.

If you don't have one, you're going to have to be that much superior in all other phases to compensate for it. The Redskins have not had bonafide professional level extra ordinary play out of the quarterback position since Brad Johnson in the first half of 1999. Not so coincidently that is also the last time the Redskins had an offense that was potent and frankly the envy of the NFL with the exception of St. Louis.

Until the void at quarterback is filled, this team will not win consistently. Next year, if the "experts" are to be believed, is the year we have a chance to land one. We pass on drafting a QB high or miss with the pick, we are in for another decade of suck at least.

So we basically started a rebulid with Friesz and Shul....I mean Beck and Grossman??

I guess we started this thing looking to fail.

I need to put these games on a loop and just crank 'em up every September. I wouldn't miss a thing.

It's a damn shame that as fans, we have to start watching old 80's tapes 6-7 games in every year, just so we're reminded that we were good at one time.

Tired of arguing about it. I'm gonna pound two more beers and hit the hay. Maybe I'll wake up next Sept. from this awful nightmare.

I also watch the old tapes. It is about the only thing that keeps me loyal to this team. Week 6 and I am already bringing them out. Sad.

We can't just count on luck being the next manning. It doesn't work like that. Every draft pick is a risk. Its up to the team make the pick they think will be the best and pan out.

Again......... Providing he is a P. Manning type player. Just sick of the same problem year after year.

We benefited by the offseason commitment of our players in the first game then we slowly came back to reality. We will only get better when we stop shooting ourselves in the foot every time we take the field. Example is the Gaffney fumble that led to a Carolina FG just before the half. He just dropped the ball. Lack of focus and poor fundamentals. Cam Newton ran through our defense because every would be tackler dove at his feet instead of hitting him in the bread basket and wrapping their arms around him. I haven't played football since high school and I could tackle better than that because I know the fundamentals. If you are worried about getting mowed over because he is too big then stay off the field. You get paid to tackle the opposing guy regardless of your size. If you can't tackle or just get in the way enough to slow him down so help can arrive then you need to stay on the sidelines. You play tackle football and not flag or powder puff football. The defense made Cam Newton look like a super hero when he should have been tackled for a 5 or 6 yard gain instead of 20. The "Glory Days" of the Hogs was about fundamental team football. Until these prima donna, tip toe, scared to tackle players get that through their thick skulls that they need to take care of the little things everything else will fall into place. They need to stop finding the good things they did instead get mad and hold your teammates accountable to their job. If they aren't in it to win it then get them out of there and put someone that is committed to winning. Stop waiting for something to happen instead make something happen. If they really want to get better then as a leader you need to work with the guys after practice to get on the same page. If the coaches aren't doing something right suggest change. Stop playing in quick sand and reek havoc. After all they are professionals.

The biggest problem to me is that this franchise is always stuck in neutral. We always manage to be between a 6-8 win team, which means you are not good enough to go to the playoffs, but not bad enough to get a Top 5 pick.

Being a 6-8 win team also always brings on the false hope that if we can just improve by "2-3" games which sounds like a manageable thing, then we could be a playoff team the following year.

Honestly, if it took a 3-13 or 4-12 season in order to get a franchise QB, I'd take it. Hell, it took Steve Spurrier to get Joe Gibbs 2.0

Let's see...in the past 10 years we've had:

A receiver good enough to break the franchise season receiving yard record

A running back good enough to break the franchise season rushing mark

Possibly the best tight end in the team's history

A perrennial pro-bowler at left tackle

Several pro-bowlers on defense

Multiple top-10 defenses

A HOF head coach

A quarterback that was....ummm...a quarterback who had....uhhh...had 4 good games?

Nothing's forever -

Remember that the mighty Packers put their stamp on the league in the late 60's, then were mostly non-factors until the mid 90s. The Steelers were barely relevant for 15 years of the 80s through the mid 90s. Frachises like the Saints, Bucs, and Patriots spent decades of their existence as league afterthoughts before becoming respected winners.

I thought for a long time that as a Redskins fan I'd never have to go through that kind of experience, but here we are - 20 years and counting. I guess more than anything I see on the field I feel like dumb luck will have to be back on our side at some point. The way teams are up-and-down from year to year, a little bit of luck in a few big games (along with some better play in the others) could position us for a championship run. Of course, there's still the question of whether a championship by a team with no real identity would be as satisfying as the ones in the 'dynasty' years, but I'd rather have a chance to find out than not.

You guys who claim to have no hope are just deluding yourselves. If you didn't have hope, you wouldn't be posting right now.

Otherwise, why even bother right? Seriously, why are you posting on this message board? Don't you have something better you could be doing than posting on the message board of a team that will NEVER be good again? It's 8:30 at night on a Sunday. Why not watch a "real" team like the Saints. They are getting ready to play.

Its therapeutic. Reading post of other Redskins fans who hurt like I do.

That giants win was HUGE at the time. A sign of good things to come. I fell for it. I thought it was up until the Cowturd game. Reality after the bye with that damn loss to the Eagles. oh well

O

I think fans here need to come to their senses. What team in the NFL can absorb injuries to their starting LT, LG, TE, WR, RB, ILB, and FS and still be expected to perform at a high level? If this happened to a team outside of our division you would all think there season was over. Despite all of these injuries I think this team can still win 8 games which would be serious progress.

Man I hope we just loss the rest of the games maybe beat the Eagles but other than that I want a top ten pick. I really hope we end up with the 6th or 7th pick trade down to the 14th and pickup an extra 2nd. Then pick Tannehill in the first, tradedown the 2nd pick and pickup an extra 3rd in the second get Hightower ILB and Minnifield CB, 3rd get Ben Jones Center out of UG and Kevin Zeitler RG, 4th get George IIoka Boise ST and Jeffery Demps RB/WR/KR, 5th get Greg Childs WR, 6th Derek Wolfe DT/DE. We get our QB, our future leader of our defense Hightower and a big physical cover corner that fits our system in Minnifield, 3rd round is all about Oline Ben Jones or a Top Center that slips and Zeitler maulers that does have experience in pulling and shows they can be a fit in the ZBS, IIoka is a big time player and tough and sound in coverage he can take over when OJ is finished and Demps brings explosive plays from multiple positions a player this offense despertly needs, Childs has #1 talents before his injury if he can come back to same form he is a beast of a WR, We to constantly add talent to the dline I think you should never go in a draft without selecting one. I think that draft really sets us up for so much success in two years. Than the following year you can get Impactful players anywhere you need help on.

Catharsis. I come here to vent, and oftimes it is irrational, and profanity-filled. But it's better than kicking your dog or punching a hole in the wall (I've done the latter before, after that loss to the Ravens a few years ago).

Today, I was a bear in the office, my assistants and RN's cowering in fear (j/k- a little). Tomorrow, I'll still be mourning, but there will be a glimmer of acceptance.

By Wednesday, I'm better, Thursday and Friday I'm a little more optimistic. Sunday morning, regardless of the record, I'm thinking "this may be the game where it all comes together". Alas, invariably I'm crestfallen afterward, and go thru the same cycle again.

My fan card, however, stays on me, tattoo'd on my psyche. B&G doesn't fade.

But, I do wonder, as in the title of this thread, if we truly are always going to suck.

No. We need at least one more good draft. We have an offensive system that doesn't ask too much of the qb. So, we need what many other successful teams have. A difference maker at the WR position. This is where we have been especially weak at for MANY years. We all love Santana but if he hasn't burned someone, he doesn't have the best chance in going up for a ball and just plain beating the defender. When you stack your team with small albeit, speedy receivers and rely on your run game to carry you through the season,other teams can adjust to that and quick.

We need a disciplined/athletic Oline, a BIG reciever, and a top 10 defense. The defense is close and needed these two losses to come back down to earth. We need another good draft focusing on Oline and WR.

No. We need at least one more good draft. We have an offensive system that doesn't ask too much of the qb. So, we need what many other successful teams have. A difference maker at the WR position. This is where we have been especially weak at for MANY years. We all love Santana but if he hasn't burned someone, he doesn't have the best chance in going up for a ball and just plain beating the defender. When you stack your team with small albeit, speedy receivers and rely on your run game to carry you through the season,other teams can adjust to that and quick.

We need a disciplined/athletic Oline, a BIG reciever, and a top 10 defense. The defense is close and needed these two losses to come back down to earth. We need another good draft focusing on Oline and WR.

Stop it we had a good OLINE, top ten D, not a Big WR but we have had a WR defenses had to double. What we haven't had is a Elite QB. Forget what the offense asked to do we need a QB when the offense breaks down he can still make a play for this offense to keep moving and put up points. Thats what we truely need. Look at Rogers both of their starting Tackles are out. They still putting up 30 pts a game. Get an Elite QB first. Then worry about a top defense and Big WR.

I can't believe some of the **** I'm reading on here, I mean come on guys it's been bad I admit that much and I'm not defending Shanahan but the team he inherited was just god awful. It takes time to rebuild and I don't care if that word is sacrilegious at Redskin Park but that's what is taking place. I have been a fan since the early 80's and understand some of the fans on here have never witness live what a well oiled machine the Redskins once were. Ever fan base in the NFL has gone threw the same thing, examples 49rs, Pittsburgh, Dolphins, New England, Detroit some of this franchise were once power house like the Redskins and other were bottom feeders have turn it around. And believe it or not I'm pretty sure there fan base was once thinking the same thoughts. I know your tired of hearing give it time but the is the first time in a long time we have a legit coaching staff and GM that will rebuild this organization threw drafting and smart free agent pick ups.

And to the fans that jump ship to other teams like the Rat Bird Raven's :mad: REALLY I hope they watched the game last night cuz they lost to a 1-5 team. I mean what a joke you either live by the Skins or Die by the skins once a Redskin always a Redskin.

No one still posting here is jumping ship. We have now endured 20 years of consistent losing, the last dozen of which came under the reign of the most incompetent sports owner this town has ever seen. If people are still interested enough to post on a forum like this, shame on anyone who tries to label them fair-weather.

The pattern is now entrenched. It's no accident. The people making the big decisions have failed, consistently, for two decades now. The odds are very good that as long as our current owner is around, yes, this team will suck. He has done so much to degrade everything for which this organization once stood. It's really very sad.

Anyone considering switching to another team should just do it, and stop bothering real fans with their whining. Win or lose Hail to the Redskins

I can't imagine anyone being serious about it. They wouldn't be here of all places saying such.

I sent my 3 year old nephew a Cooley jersey for his birthday. My sister emailed me a pic of him wearing it, and I told her that raising him as a Redskins fan would be child abuse :ols:

After last weeks debacle in Carolina... I have seriously considered not watching for a few weeks. I have blood pressure issues and have got to settle down... the Skins put me through the roof each and every week.

I cant imagine not watching a game but I think they are headed for a 5 win season, or less. 10 more weeks of bad football ahead.

After last weeks debacle in Carolina... I have seriously considered not watching for a few weeks. I have blood pressure issues and have got to settle down... the Skins put me through the roof each and every week.

I cant imagine not watching a game but I think they are headed for a 5 win season, or less. 10 more weeks of bad football ahead.

I think if view the team as a rebuilding unit still missing it's franchise QB, that now has an offense riddled with injuries, that it might temper your expectations and make the games easier to watch.

Archived