Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So seriously are we always going to suck?

RichmondRedskin88

For someone who has never seen the glory days of this franchise, it makes me start to wonder :( Just once I'd like to know what it feels like to have a great QB, offense, defense, and special teams in the same season. Until then I guess I'll just suffer watching other teams achieve what I want to see for this team

I have been a skins fan for 40 years. I remember those days and it was if we owned the world week in and week out. That is what makes it so hard to watch and accept this crap today

I don't know if we are always going to suck but here is a sad, sad stat for you.

All but 10 of the 32 NFL teams have been in a conference championship game since 1999, the year Snyder took over the Redskins:

Bills

Cowboys

Bengals

Browns

Lions

Texans

Chiefs

Dolphins

49ers

Redskins

You see since Snyder took over the team, we are the Bengals. Or the Lions or whoever. We suck.

For the first time in my life, I wonder the exact same thing. Two decades is just too much. I watch teams like NO last night, with Brees at QB, and wonder where we went wrong. Why can't we put 2 + 2 together and get 4? I think I'm done with Sunday Ticket for awhile. I no longer enjoy watching the games, it's kinda sad. There is just way more frustration than joy while watching.

This is my first year with out sunday ticket since its inception. Just could not stand to pay to watch us play like crap and watch other teams winning. Last couple of years I enjoyed watching the other games more because I was rooting for teams or against teams that would effect our draft pick order

No one still posting here is jumping ship. We have now endured 20 years of consistent losing' date=' the last dozen of which came under the reign of the most incompetent sports owner this town has ever seen. If people are still interested enough to post on a forum like this, shame on anyone who tries to label them fair-weather.

The pattern is now entrenched. It's no accident. The people making the big decisions have failed, consistently, for two decades now. The odds are very good that as long as our current owner is around, yes, this team will suck. He has done so much to degrade everything for which this organization once stood. It's really very sad.[/quote']

This is the post of the year. No doubt you will be villified for it by the blind homers, but I couldn't agree more. :cheers:

The NFL season is a weekly roller coaster.

If we lose again next week, you're right....we will always suck from our draft picks to our coaching staff. If we win, Beck is the next Steve Young and Shanny is Lombardi incarnate.

Talk to me after the season.

Yes we're in for a bad season now that the injuries are piling up. Not to forget horse **** execution, mostly by the offense. On top of those tidbits i'm starting to think the league has simply figured Kyle's system out.

On the gloom side i see us using the majority of high picks in this and maybe next draft to get the qb, leaving 6th and 7th rounders to protect him.

On the bright side we can finally see some youngsters on the field for better or worse. Fingers crossed Paul, Austin and Helu crank it up a few notches.

This thread has gone a little cold, but I had something to say and I'm damned if I'm not going to say it.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but the Redskins went through an extremely barren patch between 1946 and 1970. 24 years, 4 less than we've gone through since the last Superbowl victory. No doubt the team tried all sorts and had some memorable players during that time, but equally must have seemed snake bitten. They even went down the route of hiring Vince Lombardi, only for him to die before he had a chance to make a difference.

In 1971, Edward Bennett Williams hired George Allen, a man who brought some, but not ultimate success to the team, but certainly brought them back to respectability. More importantly, in 1978, Jack Kent Cooke hired Bobby Beathard, then in 1981 Joe Gibbs. The ultimate success of a business depends on the decisions making of the people involved, starting at the top and making its way down. Jack Kent Cooke made an excellent decision in both cases. Bobby Beathard himself was a largely excellent decision maker - he had success wherever he went and has a phenomenal resume (you can let him off over Ryan Leaf). Joe Gibbs turned out to have a great football mind (again, down to making the right decisions), coupled with being an excellent leader of men. Criticising the decision making of others is the easiest thing to do, but could any of us really do any better?

Jack Kent Cooke never really got it right again, though. Charlie Casserly was never as good and the promotion of Richie Pettibon then the hiring of Norv Turner also turning out to be poor decisions. However, three key decisions lead to one of the most exciting and richest periods of Redskins football.

To date, Dan Snyder has not made the right decisions (the jury is out on Shanahan and Allen at this point). I give an explanation here rather than an excuse, but the majority of decisions we make in life are not clear cut. Nobody ever gets them right all the time. It's just not possible. Even the most rational decision at the time may eventually turn out to be wrong. But, it must be said that some people get them right more often than not and success runs the full spectrum, so you also get those who are wrong most of the time. I think he's tried, but often his heart overrules his head. Good decision makers are able to weigh up all of the evidence and make a balanced choice. With the wrong people in place beneath him, further wrong decisions are made (note: the return of Gibbs should be considered a bad decision only if it there was the condition that Joe was responsible for personnel decisions - Danny should not have hired him if that were the case as it was not Joe's best strength and either way, it was the predominant reason for his mixed performance).

Still, even bad decision makers get it right at times. Maybe Dan's business success was down to chancing on the right decision at the right time. Maybe Dan has gotten it right this time, but its going to take a while to sort (the Redskins did not win a superbowl in either of Gibbs or Beathard's first seasons, after all). But, if Dan has gotten it wrong this time, doesn't mean he can't get it right the next time (he's the owner and in all likelihood we're stuck with him for a long time). Vinny has gone and Dan has publicly stated that he prefers not to be involved in football decisions. If Allen doesn't work out, he needs to identify somebody else with a track record of successful decision making and hand over the reins to him. His decision making shouldn't be clouded by the sexy option, or by historic ties to the franchise.

The franchise has been in this position before and it happens to all franchises at some point or another. We all know how much it hurts and how frustrating it is, but we're Redskins fans and we're in this together. The right decisions may have already been made by Dan - Shanahan and Allen. They, in turn, may have made some of the right decisions in this draft (yes, it's far too early to tell). They may also make the right decision next April in the first round of the 2012 draft that leads to years of future success. But, they're both human too and we have to remember that they are just as fallible when it comes to decision making as we all are.

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 04:56 PM ----------

So, in short, probably not. But it's not out of the realms of possibility.

That was a good post. Alot of people don't realize that for the 15 years prior to Vince Lombardi comming here we never broke 500. Joe Gibbs 2 took us to the playoffs twice,It hasn't been great for 20 years,having said that, having some of the best fans has always been the staying tradition of this franchise. Lets not stop now.

I have been a skins fan for 40 years. I remember those days and it was if we owned the world week in and week out. That is what makes it so hard to watch and accept this crap today

Yes. Remember we could be down by 21 points going into the second half. Gibbs, Buggle would make such wonderful half time adjustments and watch us win the game. Teams feared walking unto RFK. Now we are a joke . Slap us around, bloody our nose and watch us wilt. 1-4 and need a win? Got the Skins next a sure victory.

I'm not happy right now. I just want this organization to be feared, respected again like it used to be. Its just gone.

I don't know but are you watching Christian Ponder? Kid is a beast. I see why Minny benched McDirtball. Why didn't we draft this kid?

I always laugh at how a guy plays one game and he is a beast. Why didnt we draft him? What has he done, other than lose a game? We have two guys that have proven they can do that.

Archived