Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Amazingly Sexy Adventures of Dr. Michelle Bachmann, J.D.

@DCGoldPants

In recent days, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) has been steadily ramping up the rhetoric she uses against her Republican presidential rivals, hoping to regain a little bit of the spotlight.

Once a star in the 2012 field, Bachmann has collapsed in polls and has to clamor for attention in debates. If her recent comments are any guide, she will challenge former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum for the role of social conservative attack dog.

:munchout:

Color me utterly SHOCKED :rolleyes: that this thread wasn't bumped today.

At a campaign stop today, a group of occupiers snuck in, and stood up in unison, interrupting Bachmann's speech with a bunch of chanting. She calmly left the stage, and returned when their theatrics were over, saying, "Don't you just love the First Amendment?"

Say what you want about her, but she sure as hell was not the one looking like an idiot today. Occupwnt.

Say what you want about her, but she sure as hell was not the one looking like an idiot today. Occupwnt.

No one bats 1000. She's get back on her game. :cool:

But I figure she's being sincere about loving the First Amendment. :D

Why do you hate freedom of expression? :pfft:

I kinda like her---I'd go out with her. :)

No one bats 1000. :)

:ols: Touche.

But I figure she's being sincere about loving the First Amendment.

I love the First Amendment too, as, I figure, does most every member of this board on both sides. But there's a time and a place to exercise it. I mean, technically, we have a right to shout the president down when he's speaking, but I sure as hell would not support that. But then, I guess I prioritize class over my rights sometimes.

(Shut up, Jumbo. Don't say it. I'm serious!!!!) ;):ols:

---------- Post added November-10th-2011 at 08:01 PM ----------

Kind of interesting too, that Brian Williams relayed the quote from Bachmann in response to the interruption, but I can't seem to find ANY video of it. Everyone seems to have ALL of the interruption footage though. I actually do want to see what her tone was like. Hmmm....

---------- Post added November-10th-2011 at 08:11 PM ----------

Why do you hate freedom of expression? :pfft:

I don't. I just hate OTHER people having it! :ols:;)

I kinda like her---I'd go out with her. :)

You heard it here first folks. Jumbo would hit it. :thumbsup:

Color me utterly SHOCKED :rolleyes: that this thread wasn't bumped today.

At a campaign stop today, a group of occupiers snuck in, and stood up in unison, interrupting Bachmann's speech with a bunch of chanting. She calmly left the stage, and returned when their theatrics were over, saying, "Don't you just love the First Amendment?"

Actually I'm surprised we haven't seen that sort of thing more frequently during the pirmaries.

(I remember the Larouchies used to do stuff like that a lot...are they still around?)

In any case, I saw the news about Bachman being interrupted and thought nothing of it.

I am surprised that she handled it so well though. Good for her.

I get the impression that most politicians, now days, won't appear except in front if crowds that have been screened for loyalty.

And believe it or not, I don't want that either. But what I do want, is respect for someone who is speaking, and whom others came to hear. I could care less what letter follows their last name.

• 2 weeks later...
Michele Bachmann's latest gaffe: 'I haven't had a gaffe'

Think of Watergate, and the first episode conjured is probably an embattled President Nixon, dogged by evidence that he had indeed broken the law, assuring Americans, "I am not a crook." And so it goes with Michele Bachmann, in a campaign rendered undead by her prodigious gaffery, that she should distinguish herself from her fellow soon-to-be also-rans with this whopper: I am not a gaffer.

In a Fox News interview, via The Hill, the Minnesota congresswoman said:

BACHMANN: I haven't had a gaffe or something that I've done that has caused me to fall in the polls.

People see in me someone who's genuinely a social conservative, a fiscal conservative, a national security conservative and a tea partyer. I'm the whole package....

GRETA VAN SUSTEREN: Well, you've had a few -- you've had a few little gaffes, maybe not recently, but you had the historic reference in Massachusetts, I think, and I think you had one...

BACHMANN: Well, I got Elvis Presley's birthday wrong, but I don't think that's a disqualifying factor for being president of the United States.

A "few little gaffes"? What distinguishes Bachmann's verbal slip-ups is not that she's had several of them or that she gets a date or name wrong here and there, but that they defy any plausible explanation. It wasn't enough for Bachmann to attack Gov. Rick Perry over his order that Texas schoolgirls receive the HPV vaccine, a move that arouses uneasiness upon mentioning it. She had to add the impossible tale of a women who said the vaccine had caused "mental retardation" in her daughter. It also wasn't enough for her to do damage control when her New Hampshire staffers walked off their jobs; she instead insisted, in the face of reality, that it simply didn't happen.

This isn't the stuff of an unscripted politician momentarily telling the truth, to use Michael Kinsley's definition of a gaffe.

Plus, Bachmann's gaffes define her campaign in a way other former front-runners' don't. Herman Cain and Perry, both notable gaffers themselves, have defining moments that marked the descent of their candidacies (sexual harassment allegations against Cain and Perry's debate performances come to mind). Bachmann's campaign, on the other hand, can be described as suffering from death by a thousand gaffes. She's known not for any one of them in particular, but for the fact that she's committed so many of them.

So it's fitting, perhaps, that Bachmann's latest and best gaffe is that she says she hasn't had any.

NBC apologizes to Bachmann over song

"... the show's band, which played the song "Lyin' Ass *****" by Fishbone as Bachmann first appeared on stage"

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/24/showbiz/nbc-bachmann-apology/index.html

I must admit to laughing but it was a classless dickish move.

Agree. I never would have noticed it, myself. But they absolutely shouldn't have done it.

agreed. Her problem here was going beyond just wanting an apology and trying to complain about Michelle Obama of all people..

Actually, I found her bringing Michelle Obama into it kind of humorous.

See, to me, what that says is that when the band plays a song titled "Lying' Ass ****", Bachman objects to the "****" part.

:)

please please please give her another run before she goes away.

Michele Bachmann: U.S. Embassy In Iran (Which Doesn't Exist) Would Be Closed Under My Watch

Michele Bachmann told supporters in Iowa on Wednesday of her lofty plans for American diplomacy, claiming that a Bachmann presidency would mean no U.S. embassy in Iran.

Considering the recent hostility in the Iranian capital of Tehran against the British embassy, the comment might not seem particularly out of place -- if not for the fact that the U.S. hasn't actually had a functioning embassy in Iran since 1980.

NBC's Jamie Novgorod first pointed out the flop in a tweet earlier Wednesday:

The Washington Post reported recently on the latest flare-up in Tehran and on the fallout from the infamous Iran hostage crisis in 1979:

Shortly after the Nov. 4 [1979] embassy takeover, the Iranian revolutionary leader, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, endorsed the militants, and the Bazargan government resigned. U.S. diplomatic relations with Iran were formally severed in April 1980 and have never been restored.

Bachmann has been an outspoken critic of Iran over the past few weeks. Earlier this month she urged the Pentagon to "prepare a war plan" in case of its acquisition of a nuclear weapon. She later alleged that the Middle Eastern nation had threatened to launch nuclear warheads at the U.S. and Israel. PolitiFact deemed that claim "False."

On Tuesday, she told Glenn Beck that the U.S. was facing a "new axis of evil," comprised of Iran, Syria, North Korea, China and Russia.

Hey, Burg, I read your post, and I see two things:

1) Bachman doesn't know we don't have an embassy in Tehran.

2) She wants the Pentagon to draw up a war plan for how we would make war on them after they get nukes.

And frankly, I think #2 is a lot more scary than #1.

• 1 month later...

Dr. Bachmann is having a presser today, probably to drop out. I'm sad about this and wanted to bump her thread one last time.

Michele Bachmann Dropping Out After Iowa Caucus? Candidate Confirms Press Conference

UPDATE: The AP confirms that Bachmann has canceled her South Carolina trip.

PREVIOUSLY: Michele Bachmann will hold a press conference at 10 a.m. CST in Des Moines on Wednesday, her spokeswoman, Alice Stewart, confirms to the Huffington Post.

Reports have surfaced that the congresswoman has canceled her campaign trip to South Carolina, which could mean the end of her candidacy, but her SC spokesman told the Spring Valley Patch Wednesday morning that he has not been informed of any changes to her schedule.

Bachmann finished a disappointing sixth at the Iowa caucuses Tuesday night. Her former campaign manager, Ed Rollins, called for her to drop out of the race, and Sarah Palin said she did not "see a way to progress" for Bachmann.

This is a developing story... Check back for updates.

Archived