Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is John Beck related to Glenn Beck? Not a joke.

Mr. Nostril

Some of this is their own doing. I spent a very odd 9 months of my life, renting a space in a very large house in Reseda, with a revolving door of anywhere from 9-20 tenants. At one point a Mormon girl moved in. I certainly had no intentions of excluding her. I was, at worst, curious about her Mormonism.

However, I never saw her. At all points when we were both at the place she was in her room. There were always people hanging out on the couches in the back porch, and she was never there. After less than a week, she moved out. She lived there in the morning, when I went to work, and she was gone. According the story told by people who were there, she left because she saw another guy who lived there smoking out of a bong.

Now, I don't think her reaction to the situation is unreasonably prudish. It was a crazy place to live and marijuana is illegal. I don't know that she felt isolated, but if she did, you can't say it wasn't self imposed.

So one girl avoided you and moved out because someone smoked a bong, and that's evidence that Mormons are isolationists? :ols: Worst use of anecdotal evidence to support an argument EVAH.

So one girl avoided you and moved out because someone smoked a bong, and that's evidence that Mormons are isolationists? :ols: Worst use of anecdotal evidence to support an argument EVAH.

One time i was building a doghouse and smashed my thumb with a hammer.

It hurt like hell!

All I can say is that was all it took to convince me that all hammers hated the human race and will do anything to harm us.

I've never spoken to one since.

~Bang

Well, yes. Technically, this argument contains a logical flaw. Actually it's not even an argument. It's just a story.

But I think it can be safely said religions that practice asceticism breed isolation, and it's not the guy drinking a beer who's rejecting the interaction.

I appreciate everyone who's come to the defense of Mormons. I am Mormon. Thanks all. ...
Hey, I'm Mormon, too, and I find most people's comments about Mormons to be non-offensive and, when intended to be funny, I usually find them quite funny (I mean, if you can't laugh at yourself every now and then ...). So, no offense taken from me. In fact, this thread has been very entertaining to read.

But back to the original question, I'm guessing they're not related because a) Beck is way too common of a name to be exclusive to members of the Mormon faith; and B) as someone already mentioned, Glenn Beck is a convert.

Some of this is their own doing. I spent a very odd 9 months of my life, renting a space in a very large house in Reseda, with a revolving door of anywhere from 9-20 tenants. At one point a Mormon girl moved in. I certainly had no intentions of excluding her. I was, at worst, curious about her Mormonism.

However, I never saw her. At all points when we were both at the place she was in her room. There were always people hanging out on the couches in the back porch, and she was never there. After less than a week, she moved out. She lived there in the morning, when I went to work, and she was gone. According the story told by people who were there, she left because she saw another guy who lived there smoking out of a bong.

Now, I don't think her reaction to the situation is unreasonably prudish. It was a crazy place to live and marijuana is illegal. I don't know that she felt isolated, but if she did, you can't say it wasn't self imposed.

It is possible she was just antisocial. I'd agree, that would have been self-imposed, but we're not talking about people that go out of their way to isolate themselves, we're talking about people who are on an organized team that are treated differently because of their religion. Having played football in the south, there were several experiences I had where people would find out I was Mormon and then they'd have one of three reactions:

A - they'd be fine with it and nothing would change

B - they'd look at me like I'd grown a third eye and start telling me what I believed (which they were more often than not wrong about)

C - they'd pretend I didn't exist

Occasionally I'd have friends who would come to my defense because of some of the idiotic (and offensive) things people would say. Even in the military that kind of thing happened, but less often.

Monks comments were more closely with what I'd experienced when I was younger, though I don't know that it would occur in a place like the NFL when there have been some great past and current players who represented their faith well, AND were awesome football players. I think people misunderstood his intent, and that he wasn't being a bigot, but just the opposite.

---------- Post added October-19th-2011 at 02:30 PM ----------

But I think it can be safely said religions that practice asceticism breed isolation, and it's not the guy drinking a beer who's rejecting the interaction.

That does seem to be the case, since those who don't drink are often uncomfortable being around those who are drunk (though often hilarious). But, I assure you it's not because we'd prefer to be alone (not for most of us anyway).

---------- Post added October-19th-2011 at 02:31 PM ----------

Hey, I'm Mormon, too, and I find most people's comments about Mormons to be non-offensive and, when intended to be funny, I usually find them quite funny (I mean, if you can't laugh at yourself every now and then ...). So, no offense taken from me. In fact, this thread has been very entertaining to read.

But back to the original question, I'm guessing they're not related because a) Beck is way too common of a name to be exclusive to members of the Mormon faith; and B) as someone already mentioned, Glenn Beck is a convert.

I agree on both counts.

Also, TWO MORMON SKINS FANS?!?! Is that even allowed?! :ols:

That does seem to be the case, since those who don't drink are often uncomfortable being around those who are drunk (though often hilarious). But, I assure you it's not because we'd prefer to be alone (not for most of us anyway).

My point is basically that often the division that causes Mormon's (and other ascetic religions) to feel isolated from the rest of the world often is not based in the world rejecting them for their beliefs. It's based in religious restrictions causing them to feel reluctant to do the types of things people do. And perhaps these people end up invited less, but it's usually not out of a desire to exclude anyone. It's more of, "hey we're going to a bar after work. We should invite jflow. Oh wait..." And I see how that leads to the thought, "Everyone went out, and I wasn't invited. It must be because they don't accept me for my religious beliefs." But actually, I think most of the time, it's based in a respect for the beliefs.

My point is basically that often the division that causes Mormon's (and other ascetic religions) to feel isolated from the rest of the world often is not based in the world rejecting them for their beliefs. It's based in religious restrictions causing them to feel reluctant to do the types of things people do. And perhaps these people end up invited less, but it's usually not out of a desire to exclude anyone. It's more of, "hey we're going to a bar after work. We should invite jflow. Oh wait..." And I see how that leads to the thought, "Everyone went out, and I wasn't invited. It must be because they don't accept me for my religious beliefs." But actually, I think most of the time, it's based in a respect for the beliefs.

No, I know what you're saying. I'd still like the opportunity to say, "Hey, I appreciate it but no thanks."

No biggie. We can still be friends. :ols:

One time i was building a doghouse and smashed my thumb with a hammer.

It hurt like hell!

All I can say is that was all it took to convince me that all hammers hated the human race and will do anything to harm us.

I've never spoken to one since.

~Bang

As a carpenter i can tell you for a fact that they do indeed hate all humans. Ive hit the wrong nail countless times.

What this has to do with Beck? I have no idea. But this thread got highjacked a long time ago.lol.

As a carpenter i can tell you for a fact that they do indeed hate all humans. Ive hit the wrong nail countless times.

What this has to do with Beck? I have no idea. But this thread got highjacked a long time ago.lol.

Too late... Any time a thread is started in The Stadium with a joke title followed by "Not a Joke" it is auto hijacked.

in the huddle:

"listen america, it's rough out there. we're getting killed and we need to come together and pull through these tough times."

"hey john, you said america again"

"****, listen redskins..."

if the plays are like what goes on on that chalk board of glenn beck's no wonder hankerson couldn't figure it out.

Archived