Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 49ers are stealing the 'Skins thunder. Similarly built team right now.

NoCalMike

Harbaugh is a massively better coach than Zorn or J McDaniels. I seriously doubt the wheels will fall off like it did with those two.

But I agree there is some beginners luck and soon he will be figured out. 49ers are better this year but I don't think they're better than the skins. They will probably finish with a better record because every team in their division is easily sweepable but if it were in a different division they would be wild-card challengers at best.

Carlos Rogers 3INT and 1 TD....... in 5 games.

In six years with the Redskins he had only 8 Int

What a surprise. Another ex-Redskin tearing **** up

---------- Post added October-10th-2011 at 12:20 AM ----------

Morgan/Crabtree - Moss/Armstrong/Gaffney - WR cores not fantastic but decent

You forgot Braylon Edwards

If the 49ers have our thunder, let them keep it. The longer we can keep a low profile and stay out of the spotlight, the better. We're a young team and don't need any media-driven distractions.

Agree with the OP that the teams are similar, and who knew that the SF @ WAS game would become such a marquee matchup? I'm just glad they have to travel across country for it.

What scares me though and has me frustrated is that while both teams are built similar, the 49ers seem to be able to find ways to put up points on the scoreboard, and the 'Skins can't.

Against the Rams, once the 'Skins went up 17-0, I really thought that game was going to turn into finally being a game where the 'Skins would just go on a tear and maybe win 24-0 or even more, but then we all know what happened, and it turned into the usually close game where a bounce or dropped pass here or there would have changed the game.

Their OL has far more talent than ours. They've got drafted players starting at 4 out of 5 positions, 27 an under, and all taken in the first 39 picks: (Staley at 28, Rachal at 39, Davis at 11, and Iupati at 17).

They've made a huge committment to improving their OL through the draft in recent years and the fruits of that effort are starting to yeild. They took their lumps behind a bad line starting two rookies last season to have this young group grow up together.

The 49ers have run together some of the best drafts in the league the past two-three years IMO, getting great value out of their middle round picks in particular. It shouldn't surprise us that they're playing well.

If Crabtree ever gets healthy and finds consistency he could be a stud. When Frank Gore starts to slow, Hunter will step in without missing a beat. When Vernon Davis wants to, he can be a devastating blocker to pair with elite receiving skills. They've got a nice plan in place at QB, Alex Smith should be able to run the offense efficiently for a time while Kaepernick seasons under a HC with a good track record of developing QBs.

The 49ers also have the best ILB tandem in the league IMO. Bowman is a hoss and Willis is Willis--on track for the HoF. Their outside rushers are improving, I loved Aldon Smith and he's already got 3.5 sacks. He looks like a potential star. They rely on Justin Smith to register pressure. Smith is a great player but he's aging and won't be around forever so it's crucial that Smith pans out. I like Ray McDonald too, he's started to come along as a pass rusher. I also like Ian Williams' potential as a late blooming NT starter once the guys in front of him start to slow.

I actually don't like their secondary compared to the other parts of the team. Carlos has been highly productive there so far but we all know his limitations. He's not a bad starter on the outside but he's limited and we know his awful attitude will rear its head eventually. Whitner is a solid starter but seems unspectacular. Don't know a whole lot about Dashon Goldson, and am not blown away by the other names at CB. I think this is a spot the team will plan on upgrading in the next few drafts.

All in all, the 49ers are better positioned for the future than we are. Their drafts have been on par with Detroit's, Kansas City's, Cleveland's, and Tampa Bay's the past two drafts, which will go a long way towards helping them secure their division. They can be a future powerhouse if Kaepernick pans out and Crabtree finally pulls it together. Crabtree was near universally considered the best player/prospect in the 2009 class even after he injured his foot.

I would say that Rex Grossman ≥ Alex Smith. Their stats are very similar but Rex has been to a SB.

obviously you haven't been watching them both play this year. alex smith is doing a lot better than rex and makes throws that rex can't.

watch this one:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d822f750e/Smith-hits-Walker-for-early-TD

Their OL has far more talent than ours. They've got drafted players starting at 4 out of 5 positions, 27 an under, and all taken in the first 39 picks: (Staley at 28, Rachal at 39, Davis at 11, and Iupati at 17).

They've made a huge committment to improving their OL through the draft in recent years and the fruits of that effort are starting to yeild. .

And yet we average more yards per game (and ypc) than they do running the ball and they've surrendered nearly twice as many sacks.

Alex Smith is playing better because the 49ers run game is "goring" opponents, (pun INTENDED). Alex Smith is in a similar spot as Grossman, if he can limit his bad throws and only be asked to make the safer throws he can produce good results. Both of them work best when the running game gets a big gain on 1st down.

Even in the rout last night Alex Smith still reminded folks he was Alex Smith. For example, 49ers get a penalty on 1st down, so it becomes 1st & 15, obvious passing down...Alex Smith throws it into the chest of a Buc, but he drops it. When the game is 24-3 that kind of thing is overlooked and forgotten about, but it is a reminder of what Alex Smith really is when he has to become the focal point of the offense due to penalties or a lack of a running game.

And yet we average more yards per game (and ypc) than they do running the ball and they've surrendered nearly twice as many sacks.

The sacks stat is surprising given the 49ers rank dead last in pass attempts per game. They only average 25 attempts while we average 38 (which puts us 14th in the NFL). We are ranked second in the NFL in rushing attempts per game with 30.8 but the 49ers are not far behind with 29.2.

Now that Gore looks healthy again they will feed him the ball and lean on the run, get teams to stack the box to stop that and then take some shots to Crabtree and Davis.

Alex Smith is playing better because the 49ers run game is "goring" opponents, (pun INTENDED). Alex Smith is in a similar spot as Grossman, if he can limit his bad throws and only be asked to make the safer throws he can produce good results. Both of them work best when the running game gets a big gain on 1st down.

Pointing out, the same thing is true of Bret Favre.

A running game makes a lot of QBs look better. Just ask John Elway.

What scares me though and has me frustrated is that while both teams are built similar, the 49ers seem to be able to find ways to put up points on the scoreboard, and the 'Skins can't.

Against the Rams, once the 'Skins went up 17-0, I really thought that game was going to turn into finally being a game where the 'Skins would just go on a tear and maybe win 24-0 or even more, but then we all know what happened, and it turned into the usually close game where a bounce or dropped pass here or there would have changed the game.

Sans that last game where everything was pretty much set up off defense and teams, the 49ers have not been scoring significantly more than us. Until the last game, they were not finding ways to put points on the board. At best, they finally got things working that kept failing before and we also have many similar close calls in as many games. We are as likely to find a way to put points on the board.

Archived