Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Twitter sources: Steve Jobs has passed away.

ixcuincle

All of the "I'm not an apple guy, but..." disclaimers are so irrelevant. I don't understand why so many feel the need to mention it.

Jobs revolutionized the way we interact with technology. The staggering genius of it all was to take complicated gadgets and processes and turn them into the most intuitive, user-friendly devices imaginable. He was a titan of our age, and his vision will not be easily replaced or replicated.

All of the "I'm not an apple guy, but..." disclaimers are so irrelevant. I don't understand why so many feel the need to mention it.

If they use some kind of smartphone or tablet or portable music player, they may not know it but they are indeed "Apple" guys. Just like "Apple" guys are also "Microsoft, Xerox, and HP" guys.

It's respectful, the same way it is when we have to admit a cowboy played particularly well, or had a great career even though we hate the team. That's the level of passion he managed to create in a industry that's pretty dry for the most part. It's not a slight, and in the opinion of the people saying it (myself included) it's very much a compliment. Why take issue with that? It's good, plain and simple.

It's respectful, the same way it is when we have to admit a cowboy played particularly well, or had a great career even though we hate the team. That's the level of passion he managed to create in a industry that's pretty dry for the most part. It's not a slight, and in the opinion of the people saying it (myself included) it's very much a compliment. Why take issue with that? It's good, plain and simple.

Because while I'm sure it wasn't your intent, it implies to me that you see yourself as less biased than the apple fanboys on this topic, and that their proclamations of respect or admiration are tainted or worth less than yours because they are fans of the product, while you are more objective and thus your respect or admiration is worth more.

Opinions about iPhone vs Droid or whatever are not really relevant to the measure of a man's worth as an entrepreneur, inventor, leader, etc. It's not the same as a Redskins fan vs a Dallass fan talking about whether Art Monk belongs in the HOF

and while I own a few apple product, I don't consider myself an "apple guy" and am by no means a fanboy. So it isn't me being overly-sensitive about a perceived slight or whatever. Just the way I read it on a (PC) computer screen...

Apparently the Westboro people are going to protest his funeral. Ironic, her posting this using twitter for iphone:

@MargiePhelps

No peace for man who served self, not God. #hellgreetedhim Westboro must picket funeral. #warnliving MT @applenws: RIP Steve Jobs 1955-2011.

14 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

@MargiePhelps

Westboro will picket his funeral.He had a huge platform; gave God no glory & taught sin. MT @AP: Apple co-founder Steve Jobs has died at 56.

14 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

Someone needs to gather the WBC members in a warehouse and then burn it down.

Because while I'm sure it wasn't your intent, it implies to me that you see yourself as less biased than the apple fanboys on this topic, and that their proclamations of respect or admiration are tainted or worth less than yours because they are fans of the product, while you are more objective and thus your respect or admiration is worth more.

Opinions about iPhone vs Droid or whatever are not really relevant to the measure of a man's worth as an entrepreneur, inventor, leader, etc. It's not the same as a Redskins fan vs a Dallass fan talking about whether Art Monk belongs in the HOF

and while I own a few apple product, I don't consider myself an "apple guy" and am by no means a fanboy. So it isn't me being overly-sensitive about a perceived slight or whatever. Just the way I read it on a (PC) computer screen...

Not a superior perspective on Jobs, just a different one from his customer base. I'm sorry if those type of comments seem offensive to you. They are all over the media coming from all sorts of different people, so they're common enough. I don't think it's right that you would reserve appreciation of him only to those who appreciated his products enough to buy them. That's what it seems to me you're doing, no offense. Still, it's your right. I respect it and I don't want to bring any acrimony to this thread. I don't think anyone would argue that he wasn't a bad ass mother ****er.

Not a superior perspective on Jobs, just a different one from his customer base. I'm sorry if those type of comments seem offensive to you. They are all over the media coming from all sorts of different people, so they're common enough. I don't think it's right that you would reserve appreciation of him only to those who appreciated his products enough to buy them. That's what it seems to me you're doing, no offense. Still, it's your right. I respect it and I don't want to bring any acrimony to this thread. I don't think anyone would argue that he wasn't a bad ass mother ****er.

I didn't think anything you said was offensive. And I'm not saying there should be any reservation of appreciation to those who liked the products. I'm saying exactly the opposite. Like I said in my first post, it's unnecessary and irrelevant as far as I'm concerned whether you (not you specifically. Anyone) did or didn't like them, because, like you say, no one would argue that he wasn't a bad ass mother****er. Fans and non-fans alike should feel the same :cheers:

I was interrupted yesterday coming down the steps, and told to come look at a computer screen. I saw the Apple homepage and couldn't believe it. I knew he had been sick but I thought he was OK or maybe the cancer was coming back and he was leaving to get it treated (but not that it had advanced again.)

This is gonna sound weird but I think I started to think and care more about Steve Jobs after the HumancentiPad episode of South Park.

Obviously I had heard of him and seen his keynotes for some of the more exciting Apple products but I had somehow missed his commencement speech at Stanford or the fact that YET ANOTHER non-credentialed giant had emerged (non-credential meaning not having the stamp of legitimacy of the college degree.)

The world lost a titan. I, too, am no Apple user but I appreciate what that company has brought to the world and how its strength has contributed to the connectivity of people around the planet, the spread of information and the daily enjoyment and increase in convenience for those of us who can afford these things.

If they use some kind of smartphone or tablet or portable music player, they may not know it but they are indeed "Apple" guys.

Or if they use Windows, they are Apple guys. Because Microsoft Windows was a direct rip-off of Apple's operating platform.

Or if they use Windows, they are Apple guys. Because Microsoft Windows was a direct rip-off of Apple's operating platform.

Apple copied a lot from Microsoft too in the early days which is why i made the second half of that post. In modern days, Google copies Apple, Apple copies Google, Microsoft copies both....

Archived