Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Polo Argument: Ralph Lauren or Lacoste?

samy316

So my friend and I were arguing the other day about which is the best clothing store for men (don't worry, the argument started with our girlfriends talking about what clothing store was best for men, they just happened to ask our opinion on it), and we eventually settled in on which store was the best for men's polo shirts. I argued for Ralph Lauren Polo, because I generally like their shirts, and they seem like a good look. My friend argued Lacoste, for generally the same reasons I gave for Ralph Lauren.

It got me wondering, what do you all like more, Ralph Lauren or Lacoste? Which one is the better look? Which one gets you more attention? Do you even like either one of these brand names?

All I know is that in the early 70's everyone wore Izod Lacoste. It wasn't a fashion statement, but just what everyone seemed to wear. The croc was all over the place and this was before the word "preppy" was front and center. So I go with Lacoste. Is it big now? I don't know...now I wear Merona from Target. :thumbsup:

lacoste-croc.jpg

I prefer Lacoste if only because the RL logo has grown to about 500 times it original size and seems to have become a beacon for douche bags.

Remember how big the original logo was? pictured below in Purple with a yellow logo. Even though you can't make out the logo in the photo, it is easy to see that it is a Ralph Lauren shirt.

polo-rl.jpg

Now apparently the powers that be at Ralph Lauren have decided they can no longer sell you one of their shirts unless they can identify it from 1000yards away.

830%20rl%20polo%20men-30.jpg

The real winner IMO is Ben Sherman, they make great stuff.

I like both - prefer the "feel" of the Lacoste shirts - unless it's one bought at an outlet.

Polo shirts found at the Polo Outlet seem to be the same shirts as you'd find at Macy's - the Lacoste shirts I've bought from their outlets almost feel like some sort of fake knockoff.

I prefer Lacoste if only because the RL logo has grown to about 500 times it original size and seems to have become a beacon for douche bags.

Remember how big the original logo was? pictured below in Purple with a yellow logo. Even though you can't make out the logo in the photo, it is easy to see that it is a Ralph Lauren shirt.

polo-rl.jpg

Now apparently the powers that be at Ralph Lauren have decided they can no longer sell you one of their shirts unless they can identify it from 1000yards away.

830%20rl%20polo%20men-30.jpg

The real winner IMO is Ben Sherman, they make great stuff.

You make it sound like they replaced the small logo with the large one. That's not the case. You can buy either.

Lacoste for sure. Love their colognes as well.

---------- Post added October-5th-2011 at 03:09 PM ----------

That looks more like US Polo Association, which is like knockoff Polo for people who don't want to spend $50 for a polo. And yes, their shirts are fugly.

Both are preppy, nice looking but with too conservative designs. Lacoste is very durable (don't know about Polo) but sometimes the color of their polos tends to run out. We can find them at 50% less ( previous year collection) in outlets.

Technically, that style is not traditionally called a "polo" shirt. Polo is a brand. I understand though. Same as saying make a xerox of something.

It is a tennis shirt. Sometimes even called a golf shirt by some people. I still call it a tennis shirt.

I prefer Polo by Ralph Lauren button down dress shirts. I have some of their tennis shirts, but my Lacoste ones are much better.

I prefer Lacoste tennis shirts.

Technically, that style is not traditionally called a "polo" shirt. Polo is a brand. I understand though. Same as saying make a xerox of something.

It is a tennis shirt. Sometimes even called a golf shirt by some people. I still call it a tennis shirt.

I prefer Polo by Ralph Lauren button down dress shirts. I have some of their tennis shirts, but my Lacoste ones are much better.

I prefer Lacoste tennis shirts.

We called them polos Lacoste since 1933 because the design was inspired from the polo shirts, eventhough the founder was a tennis champion (Polo the brand was founded in 1967). ;)

Technically you're right it is more a tennis shirt which is also used for golf.

Archived