Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much do you approve of Mike Shanahan?

ThePreciating

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I put 100%. When coming into a situation like this you have to flush the system and basically start over. Since coming here there's been a lot of roster turnover and the guys he kept are mostly high character guys with not much ego (Hall is the exception). Sure the McNabb thing was a mistake, but I think most fans were on board with it at first. However, once it was obvious it wasn't going to work out with him, he was gone. That is something we haven't had here with the exception of Gibbs 2.0. There is finally some accountability in place and even reading players' comments, they get it too.

---------- Post added September-30th-2011 at 07:04 AM ----------

Shanny and Bruce have also drafted well. The one thing that is yet unproven is consistant quarterback play and I'm sure that is something that will be targeted this offseason in some shape or form. They didn't feel that person was out there this year. Rex could work out if bad Rex could just stay in hibernation.

I voted 100%. Shanny handled the Haynesworth drama appropriately. The McNabb deal was a big mistake. But nobody's even near perfect with so much to do and such good competition. Belicheat, the Steelers, the Packers all make mistakes. Even Gibbs was taunted with the infamous "Joe must go!" chant during his first tenure here.

After the Danny/Vinny nightmare, I'm so glad it looks like professionals are in charge of football matters, now. Go Mike! Go Bruce!

My thoughts exactly. I never understood why he got criticism for the Haynesworth fiasco. He tried to make it work, played hard ass with a dumb ass, and finally got a pick when everyone said to simply let him go and get nothing. Obviously the McNabb deal was a mistake but even though I wasn't behind it at the time I could understand the reasoning. And Jason Campbell's mediocre play has proven that he was right, you will never win big with that guy. So they rolled the dice, realized their mistake quickly and cut bait.

100% here. Its only his second season and he's got our D in the top half of just about every defensive category, and #1 in 3rd down defense. Yeah, Haslett is the DC, but Shanahan/Allen are the ones that put the pieces in place. Offense is still a bit stagnant, but you can't rebuild both sides of the ball in such a short amount of time. Perhaps 2012 is the year we go offensive in the draft and find us a true deep threat that helps us stretch the field; and/or a future franchise QB.

My support is 100%. He is going to make some bad choices, but I love the way he is building this team. He is going for high character, high motor, hungry players. So far, Shanny and Alllen are a great team together.

As far as some of the other comments in this thread about supporting Shanny but not Kyle or Haslett, these guys are Shanny guys and it's still a reflection on him. I think Shanny is very quick to realize his mistakes and correct them. I love that about him. He doesn't worry about how it will make him look. The McNabb situation is a perfect example of that. He ****ed up, realized it, and then didn't make it worse by trying to salvage it. He cut ties pretty quickly and got what he could out of it.

As far as some of the other comments in this thread about supporting Shanny but not Kyle or Haslett, these guys are Shanny guys and it's still a reflection on him.

I don't know if this was pointed towards me... Because I did say I approve of Shanahan but not at least two of his coaches. Haslett was one of the guys I was referring to. His son, however, is not. I think his son will improve, and he has had some pretty good offenses. He's made some bad calls so far, that I agree with. The second guy I was referring to was Danny Smith.

As for them being a reflection on Shanahan, I agree. Haslett was the best 3-4 guy available (which isn't saying much of anything) so Shanahan taking him wasn't a surprise. And you can't get rid of a coach after one year, despite how much I dislike him. So keeping Haslett makes sense. Danny Smith is baffling to me, see the Danny Smith thread for reasons why, I don't want to derail this thread. But I love the hiring of Lou Spanos, and most of the other coaches.

I think Shanny is very quick to realize his mistakes and correct them. I love that about him. He doesn't worry about how it will make him look. The McNabb situation is a perfect example of that. He ****ed up, realized it, and then didn't make it worse by trying to salvage it. He cut ties pretty quickly and got what he could out of it.

This is why I'm 100% behind him. He corrects issues quickly. And the culture change has been phenomenal.

I don't know if this was pointed towards me... Because I did say I approve of Shanahan but not at least two of his coaches.

It wasn't directed towards anyone at all. It was just a general comment. I try not to bash someone elses thoughts. I just wanted to give people a little more to think about when they talk about how they support him. It's also why I said that I feel he corrects his mistakes pretty quickly. If he felt Kyle or Haslett was a mistake, I think he would correct it as quickly as he did the McNabb thing. I think Shanny is one of those people who looks at himself pretty hard and detaches his emotions from the team as much as he can when making a decision.

If he felt Kyle or Haslett was a mistake, I think he would correct it as quickly as he did the McNabb thing. I think Shanny is one of those people who looks at himself pretty hard and detaches his emotions from the team as much as he can when making a decision.

I disagree. McNabb was easy to correct, we had a QB on the roster who was better for our system. We may have had two. The problem with Haslett is he was brought in. There were no guys really available to step in and coordinate the defense, and you have to give a coach more than one year. I think he hired Lou Spanos for a reason... If Haslett struggled/s, we have a guy who can take over on staff.

I like Shanahan because he has made everyone on the team accountable for their place on their team. He has made everyone earn their spot no matter who they were. Nothing has been given to anyone and he has earned the players respect. Haynesworth, McNabb, Portis and the rest that are no longer here didn't want to put in the work to make the team better. They wanted special priviledges and treatment for coming in out of shape and not coming in for OTA's. Well Portis is not on any NFL roster, Haynesworth is not practicing or playing much, and McNabb is having accuracy issues still. Imagine that. Shanahan actually does know what he is doing, Huh?

I think for the most part he and Bruce Allen has and will continue to put this franchise on better ground. I only have one issue with him and that is he allowing Kyle to choose and or be okay with Rex Grossman. While I do understand Rex starting (knowing the offense the best) I simply don't have any faith in his ability once a passing play breaks down or there is pressure on him. I think his weight is an issue, I think he simply isn't doing all and hasn't done what could have been done prior to the start of the season. I understand he wasn't under contract but I mean it looks like he has no athletic prowess. I understand that we could do alot worse at the QB position but I think that Rex is more of a liability until we get a better developed offensive line. I also understand Rex was the starting QB of the Bears when they went to the SB but it was the Defense not so much the offense to guide them. I think that Rex needs to work on his weight, his mechanics and leave the biscuits alone. Maybe then he can reach the potential he has with a bit more consistency.

I went with 50%, I'm still not sold but atleast there appears to be some soft of plan this year unlike last year.

I give him a total pass for last year. He needed to learn about his team and see what he had. Film will only tell you so much about a players character. I am sure he wanted to see who was there working out, studying film, etc. every day. I think he gave everyone a clean slate coming in and wanted to make his own judgements.

Archived