Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

LeesburgSkinFan

Forget the late 70s Rod Stewart.

At heart, Stewart is a bluesman and definitely belongs in the Hall.

I try to forget. And yes he deserves to be in the Hall. For me, Every Picture Tells a Story might be one of the 10 or 15 best rock albums of all time. Which makes the disco shlock he did just a few years later seem that much more egregious to me.

Disco was fun and stupid. The seething hatred toward it by "rock purists" was even funnier and stupider.

I am far from a rock purist, and my feelings toward disco never reached the point of "seething hatred." It was more of a bemused disdain at friends and others who jumped feet first into the style, going to Bachelor's III every Friday and Saturday and doing the Hustle in those stupid ass outfits.

The Rod Stewart disco crap really pissed me off though. When you listen to Glad Bags and Hand Rags, Gasoline Alley, Man of Constant Sorrow, Cut Across Shorty, Reason to Believe, etc. over and over again growing up... maybe it is stupid, but I felt a little betrayed when Blondes Have More Fun came out.

Rakim alone makes then a top 10 influential hip-hop group but okay.

Definitely. My whole life growing up, the vast consensus was that Rakim was the greatest who ever did it.

I'm like China though. I'm confused by how hip hop works into the Rock and Roll HOF. I don't follow it at all, so maybe this has been going on for years now or something. I don't know.

Definitely. My whole life growing up, the vast consensus was that Rakim was the greatest who ever did it.

I'm like China though. I'm confused by how hip hop works into the Rock and Roll HOF. I don't follow it at all, so maybe this has been going on for years now or something. I don't know.

I don't get it either but what the hell.

---------- Post added September-29th-2011 at 02:07 PM ----------

I say "Some Girls" by the Stones justifies discos existence.

Great record. You have to appreciate the Stones ability to pump out fantastic records so far apart. Aftermath all the way to Some Girls and Tattoo You. Beatles did it within a 9 year time span, and really five if you count Rubber Soul as the start of their truly groundbreaking stuff. Zeppelin's great stuff came between 69-75.

I don't get it either but what the hell.

---------- Post added September-29th-2011 at 02:07 PM ----------

Great record. You have to appreciate the Stones ability to pump out fantastic records so far apart. Aftermath all the way to Some Girls and Tattoo You. Beatles did it within a 9 year time span, and really five if you count Rubber Soul as the start of their truly groundbreaking stuff. Zeppelin's great stuff came between 69-75.

Tattoo You was more or less recorded in the early 70s.

Some Girls was the last classic Stones recording session, I would say.

No RUSH. No KISS.= No credibility

Exactly. Beat me to it. Eff the R&R HOF!

---------- Post added September-29th-2011 at 02:53 PM ----------

I would be okay with Kiss before Rush. I hate Rush as much as you hate Seger.

You should be flogged. I know some people don't like Geddy Lee's voice and it's an acquired taste, but go beyond the voice and concentrate on the music. The have not only survived for 30 years, but have thrived. They've conformed to every decade with their music. They have some of the best lyrics, some of the best instrumental songs and of course the best drummer in the business. Catch their latest documentary on VH1 if it comes on, it might give you some insight on them. But then again, you might just hate them because of Lee.

By the way the actual R&R Hall sucks. Went there when I was in Canton for Green & Monk's HOF induction and we blew through the R&R HOF in about an hour. Not sure I'd even bother going back if I had the chance.

Totally disagree. And given that you only spent one hour there doesn't support your conclusion - and in fact may explain your conclusion.

Exactly. Beat me to it. Eff the R&R HOF!

---------- Post added September-29th-2011 at 02:53 PM ----------

You should be flogged. I know some people don't like Geddy Lee's voice and it's an acquired taste, but go beyond the voice and concentrate on the music. The have not only survived for 30 years, but have thrived. They've conformed to every decade with their music. They have some of the best lyrics, some of the best instrumental songs and of course the best drummer in the business. Catch their latest documentary on VH1 if it comes on, it might give you some insight on them. But then again, you might just hate them because of Lee.

I don't like Lee's voice. I don't like the self-indulgent music. I don't like the lyrics. I really don't like their audio-visual club member fans.

The only thing I've ever liked about Rush was the use of Tom Sawyer as entrance music for the Von Erich family.

KISS needs to be in simply because Gene Simmons epitomizes everything that IS big time arena rock business. He is to self-promotion, merchandising, and spectacle what Phil Spector was to studio production. I like very little of their actual music (although the stuff I do like, I like a lot) but on aura alone, they're HOF-worthy.

I'd also put GNR in, though I'm not entirely sure why. I liked Appetite, didn't love it. I think that album was more impactful than influential, meaning as much as it shook things up, I don't think it necessarily changed things the way Nevermind did a short time later. Yet everything they did in a very short time just screamed "Big time, unforgettable, legendary rock & roll."

The R&R HOF is a joke. I see Kiss and Rush mentioned as snubs and rightfully so. There are many other bands/artists who deserve to be in as well IMO

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Deep Purple

The Cars

Cheap Trick

Def Leppard

Thin Lizzy

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Jimmy Buffet

The list goes on and on.

Totally disagree. And given that you only spent one hour there doesn't support your conclusion - and in fact may explain your conclusion.

I just thought it was overrated and not much to see. I'm a huge music fan so if it couldn't hold my interest that's saying something. Just my opinion on it.

The R&R HOF is a joke. I see Kiss and Rush mentioned as snubs and rightfully so. There are many other bands/artists who deserve to be in as well IMO

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Deep Purple

The Cars

Cheap Trick

Def Leppard

Thin Lizzy

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Jimmy Buffet

The list goes on and on.

There does seem to be an overall glossing over of some of the big metal bands like the ones you mention above.

Stevie Wonder and Stevie Nicks but no Stevie Ray Vaughan.

I don't like Lee's voice. I don't like the self-indulgent music. I don't like the lyrics. I really don't like their audio-visual club member fans.

The only thing I've ever liked about Rush was the use of Tom Sawyer as entrance music for the Von Erich family.

Why does everyone stereotype a typical Rush fan as an audio-visual club member? I've been a Rush fan since the early 80s and all the Rush fans I know are nowhere like that at all. I've never been in any AV club and I've never met a Rush fan or seen one at any concert that looked like Neil from Family Guy.

Why does everyone stereotype a typical Rush fan as an audio-visual club member? I've been a Rush fan since the early 80s and all the Rush fans I know are nowhere like that at all. I've never been in any AV club and I've never met a Rush fan or seen one at any concert that looked like Neil from Family Guy.

I like Rush ok. My problem is the ridiculous over-the-top knob-slobbering that hardcore Rush fans indulge in every time the subject comes up. No, Rush is not the greatest band in rock history. No, they are not in the top-20. No they are not particularly influential, no they are not especially groundbreaking. Peart is a very good drummer, but not the greatest of all time. Geddy is an awful excuse for a singer. They have about three memorable songs, and the rest is an enormous repotoire of endless pretentious repetive droning about Ayn Rand and satellites.

I don't run to turn the radio channel when they pop up the way I do for Bob Seger, Billy Joel or REO Speedwagon, but I sure as hell don't put them anywhere NEAR the Beatles/Stones/Who/Zep/Floyd kind of pantheon, they way their fans do. :whoknows:

Archived