Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

iPhone 5 to be announced on October 4th

Slacky McSlackAss

4.5" screen, might as well carry around a tablet.

4.5'' wouldn't be bad if it has edge to edge screen and no physical buttons.

---------- Post added October-4th-2011 at 03:11 PM ----------

Seems this is going to be the standard formula for the iPhone.

2 year cycles for the big upgrades with a smaller upgrade in the odd years in between.

More time for LTE chips to mature and networks to expand.

Haha, no worries. It is just odd that that is being made into a big point of emphasis when so many phones have a 8MP camera these days. Don't get me wrong, it is still an excellent device, but for all of the buildup today had, it is a little underwhelming.

megapixels isnt everything but i see your point. getting excited about technology in your phone that is already widely available is a bit lame. although im not a hugh picture taker so i rightfully wouldnt be all that excited

It'd be a toss up honestly. I'd have to see the size of the Prime to make my decision though.

So why not wait until it comes out to do that? Why rush and buy a phone that in a month you might not want anymore?

---------- Post added October-4th-2011 at 04:45 PM ----------

This is a nice comparison of the iPhone 4S vs. the rest of the bunch

http://www.androidcentral.com/specs-iphone-4s-versus-world

Where did you hear this? Those were rumors for the past day or so which were debunked today during Apple's conference.

I read on wapo.com but it was before today's launching of the next overpriced phone made by apple... so maybe you have better information than I.

Of course, there's this:

http://www.beatweek.com/news/9559-iphone-5-release-date-is-sprint-exclusive-4s-for-verizon-att/

The iPhone 5 release date in 2011 is a Sprint exclusive, with Verizon and AT&T waiting until early next year for the device and settling for the iPhone 4S in the mean time, according to a story originating with BGR and picked up by at least one mainstream news media outlet. The news would be a stunner tomorrow and would turn the U.S. cellular market on its head, with underdog Sprint suddenly becoming Apple’s iPhone carrier of choice, at least for now. The story places a 4G LTE enabled iPhone 5 arriving on the two existing U.S. iPhone carriers a mere few months from now, but would give Sprint an unprecedented starting position for its iPhone debut. As questionable as the story sounds on its face, it’s worth noting that one of our readers reported that a Sprint retail employee bragged of precisely this scenario a month back, making it either a remarkable coincidence or a poorly kept secret within Sprint’s ranks. That’s if the story is accurate, which we’ll find out one way or the other within hours as Apple prepares to take the stage and set the iPhone 5 record straight (let’s just hope it doesn’t really look like this). But if this is story is indeed true, the ramifications the iPhone 5 era are nothing short of stunning…

I read on wapo.com but it was before today's launching of the next overpriced phone made by apple... so maybe you have better information than I.

yup those were just rumors at least for now since all that was introduced today was the iPhone 4S. I believe the article stated Sprint was paying Apple like $20 billion dollars for sole exclusivity of the iPhone 5.

So why not wait until it comes out to do that? Why rush and buy a phone that in a month you might not want anymore?

Cause I won't make it ANOTHER month. You realize how much of a pain it is to have to wait 30 seconds just to make a call? Or the fact that I literally cannot have more than one app running cause it will lock the phone up. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of the oversized android phones out right now, I like a phone that comfortably fits in my pocket. If I was to get a phone today, it would be the Blackberry Bold Touch, but I prefer iOS over Blackberry 7.

Doesn't Window's mango have voice recognition?

Windows phone always had some voice commands, such as call David. You also can say some stuff like find pizza and it will respond with local pizza places. Mango added speech to text which Android has had for about a year.

Some voice command has been around part of phones for a while, I have never thought they were that great or practical. Some of the newer usages like speech to text I can see being used today with people in cars, but if I was sitting around in public I would rather type a message than speak to my phone to text.

Cause I won't make it ANOTHER month. You realize how much of a pain it is to have to wait 30 seconds just to make a call? Or the fact that I literally cannot have more than one app running cause it will lock the phone up. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of the oversized android phones out right now, I like a phone that comfortably fits in my pocket. If I was to get a phone today, it would be the Blackberry Bold Touch, but I prefer iOS over Blackberry 7.

I'm in the same boat, I really don't want to wait any longer for a new phone. I don't know what service you have, but I'm planning on getting the Galaxy s II for AT&T tomorrow or the next day and if the Nexus Prime is as good as rumored I'll just just return it in 30 days, avoid the early termination fee and sign up with Verizon and get the Nexus.

I'm in the same boat, I really don't want to wait any longer for a new phone. I don't know what service you have, but I'm planning on getting the Galaxy s II for AT&T tomorrow or the next day and if the Nexus Prime is as good as rumored I'll just just return it in 30 days, avoid the early termination fee and sign up with Verizon and get the Nexus.

I'm with Verizon and the Galaxy S II was going to be my phone, until Verizon passed it up. Made my decision that much easier.

Archived