Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: Rex Grossman believes that he has the best receivers in the NFL

mzkp54

Armstrong had a poor man's DeSean Jackson year last year. Surprisingly close considering where Armstrong came from and our struggles.

Moss just banked out another 90 and 1100. Gaffney is the wild card really. If he's a LEGIT 60 to 70 guy, then, when you factor in our tight ends and Hightower, we likely do have the best entire group of receivers in the game. No, we don't have the best Top 3 receivers. We may not quite have, though it's close, the best two tight ends. Hightower isn't THE BEST receiver out of the backfield. But, combined they are a factor few, if any, can match.

Meh. The author of the story is from Seattle. That explains that. :silly: Man did he take the original stuff from the Post Insider and run with it. :rolleyes:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/rex-grossman-redskins-receiving-corps-the-best-in-the-nfl/2011/09/22/gIQAwqVznK_blog.html?wprss=football-insider

“I trust all of them,” Grossman said. “This is the best receiving wide receiving corps in the league, in my opinion, from top to bottom. Everybody’s a great player. Anthony Armstrong can do special things. He’s fast, so he gets people off him. He can make big plays, Santana’s great, Jabar’s great. So, everybody has a role and collectively, they’re one of the best.”

Moss said he isn’t ready to declare his unit the best in the league, but he too has confidence that they are capable of being a dangerous group.

“We have guys that can get it done: downfield, short. We have guys that do what’s asked of them,” Moss said. “But I don’t want to pat ourselves on the back, I want to keep getting better. I feel like each week is a week to get better. As long as we keep getting better and put up points for this team, then you can start telling us how good we are then.”

Armstrong, meanwhile, said that it helps knowing that Grossman has such confidence in his receivers.

“That trust helps you with your confidence, just knowing that whenever you run your route, you can always expect it to come your way, even if it’s tight coverage, he’s expecting you to make that play. We trust him as well that he can make all the throws. It helps things flow a bit easier and lets you be able to just play football instead of thinking.”

More at link

I like what he said and I like the responses from two of his receivers,(which were about what I expect from all 3).

A couple things...

1) I want the QB of my team saying that no matter if he's throwing to The Posse or our sorry excuse for WRs from the mid-2000s.

2) As others have noted, we don't have the best starting WRs at all, but we have a very nice group of pass-catchers top to bottom.

Nice leadership though. It's two different positions, but contrast this type of talk with CP saying he wishes he could run behind great OLs for a game or two. Night and day!

This is what I'm thinking. What's he supposed to say. You want your guys to believe in you and you want them believing that you believe in them. Stupid thing to try to bash Rex for.

If you look at our wide receivers and tight ends as a whole, from top to bottom, I think they are one of the best groups in the league. But not THE best. Some think it is a negative we don't have that one stud who might normally draw a double team. The beauty of that is, we have so many weapons, if you try to take away one or even two, we still have other guys who are plenty capable of stepping up and producing. I'm loving this offense.

---------- Post added September-22nd-2011 at 06:32 PM ----------

There is an important thing we have to remember. I think sometimes it takes a successful team for individuals to be productive and then recognized as being talented. In this sport, for a player to be productive, he needs the help of his teammates. When a team isn't playing well, players are probably not going to put up the numbers they are capable of.

The Redskins do not get enough credit for the talent we do have. Since we have been losing, players haven't produced like they are capable of. I think this is the year that will change. This team has come together, the stars have aligned and our ship has turned around. In turn, our players are going to be more productive and get more recognition. Most "experts" scoff at our talent on the offensive side of the ball. I have a feling that by the end of the year, they will be singing the praises of these players.

The author of that article is a condescending prick, for starters. Secondly, Rex is talking about how much he trusts his receivers. Why shouldn't he believe they're the best? What is he supposed to say? That he doesn't think his guys are as good as some other teams? Gee, I bet that would make them(receivers) feel great!

The QB makes his receivers. If he runs the offense well and spreads the ball around then our 3 receivers and 2 tes will put up great stats. Just look at who Brees throws to, nothing special, and Green Bays receivers weren't 1st rounders either but somehow they all produce with a great QB. Give them a bad starting QB and even their #1 would struggle to put up #2 WR numbers, just like Moss did for 4-5 years here.

It's pretty telling when you see that the 1 great season for Moss had Mark Brunell throwing him the ball. Sure, it was an above average season for Brunell considering what we had expected from him but give us a guy like Brees or Rodgers and even Lloyd and Patten would have put up great #2-#3 numbers.

It's not a coincidence that no matter who GB or NO draft in the 4th or 7th round somehow produce like a top pick, IMO.

Damn straight he should believe they're the best.

I must say, i am a fan of Mr. Grossman. He makes plays and says the right things. Great attitude and competitive spirit.

~Bang

Same here...I didn't like him when he was in Chicago and didn't like hearing that we signed him before last season, but the guy is growing on me and he's tough not to root for.

As i've been saying for years. I'm tired of players being scared to say something. If you're confident, then you should say what ever you want. This is what i like about Rex Ryan. He says that they would spank NE, and they went ahead and actually beat them in the playoffs. The games aren't won in the press, they're won on the field (good talent and coaching). I remember how the entire team pleaded the 5th on anything regarding the Patriots, the week leading up the that game in 2007. Guess what, we still got killed 52-7.... So yeah Rexy, say that we have the best WRs in the game, say that we're going to win the NFCE, Dhall keep saying that you're going after Romo sits to pee's ribs, SO WHAT?! Good for them!!

Rex was obviously talking about the depth of our receiving corp and the number of solid receivers we have (including TEs). Given the emphasis Kyle's offense places on spreading the ball around, our receiving corp fits the scheme well.

Our receiving corp also mirrors the blue-collar identity of this team generally. Top to bottom, this is a solid team that's in it together. It's not a couple of superstars surrounded by fillers, but a team that's got it each other's backs. Hopefully the sum is greater than the individual pieces. I also find it's much easier to cheer for this team than some of the prima-donna/superstar teams we've seen in years past.

As i've been saying for years. I'm tired of players being scared to say something. If you're confident, then you should say what ever you want. This is what i like about Rex Ryan. He says that they would spank NE, and they went ahead and actually beat them in the playoffs. The games aren't won in the press, they're won on the field (good talent and coaching). I remember how the entire team pleaded the 5th on anything regarding the Patriots, the week leading up the that game in 2007. Guess what, we still got killed 52-7.... So yeah Rexy, say that we have the best WRs in the game, say that we're going to win the NFCE, Dhall keep saying that you're going after Romo sits to pee's ribs, SO WHAT?! Good for them!!

Preach it AU - :ols:

Meanwhile, Lombardi seems to agree with Rex...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8227d819/article/lions-have-right-leader-in-schwartz-15-thoughts-on-week-3-?module=HP11_hot_topics

The Redskins offense has looked really good, and tight end Fred Davis has been playing at a Pro Bowl level. He has 11 catches already (after just 21 last season) and has made really clutch plays. His talents include being able to block at the point of attack, but he really shines running down the field and challenging the defense. With Davis and receivers Anthony Armstrong, Jabar Gaffney, and Santana Moss, the Redskins have some serious weapons.

Archived