Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: Rex Grossman believes that he has the best receivers in the NFL

mzkp54

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Rex-Grossman-believes-that-he-has-the-best-recei?urn=nfl-wp7718

You thought that your targets were great, Aaron Rodgers(notes)? Hey, Drew Brees(notes) — you're under the impression that the guys you throw to may comprise the best receiver corps in the NFL? The Eagles may think that their DeSean Jackson(notes)/Jeremy Maclin/Brent Celek(notes) combo is the one to watch, but Rex Grossman(notes) of the Washington Redskins has news for all of you turkeys.

Rex is putting you on notice and telling the world — according to the hyper-confident quarterback, Washington has the NFL's best group of receivers. That's right, America — the Murderer's Row of Santana Moss(notes), Jabar Gaffney(notes), and Anthony Armstrong(notes) is an unstoppable force, according to their quarterback. Add in tight ends Chris Cooley(notes) and Fred Davis(notes), and it's almost too much to comprehend.

"I trust all of them," Grossman said in mid-September. "This is the best receiving corps in the league, in my opinion, from top to bottom. Everybody's a great player. Anthony Armstrong can do special things. He's fast, so he gets people off him. He can make big plays, Santana's great, Jabar's great. So, everybody has a role and collectively, they're one of the best."

Well, before we bash Rex for his hyperbole (remember, this is the same guy who's virtually guaranteed an NFC East title this season), let's give props to a few people. Davis has really come on this year — he leads all NFL tight ends with 191 receiving yards, and he's second in the league in Football Outsiders' metrics for the position behind New England's Rob Gronkowski(notes). So he's got that going for him, which is nice. And Armstrong was one of the more underrated receivers in the NFL last year; one of the few productive pieces in the Redskins' disastrous 2010 offense. But the love put out by Rex the Magnificent seems a bit out of proportion to actual production.

"It's not a good feeling not to be able to trust a receiver to win versus man coverage or that he's not going to run a route the right way," Grossman said. "That's a terrible feeling as a quarterback, and I definitely feel that trust.

Well, that's nice. Nothing like fostering trust, especially when your quarterback hasn't always been known for his pinpoint accuracy. But as it stands now, Moss leads his compatriots with a ranking of 22nd in FO's receiver efficiency rankings. Gaffney ranks 32nd; perhaps he would be up in the ranking a but if he caught more than 47 percent of the balls thrown to him. And Armstrong, who paced the Redskins' receivers in efficiency last year, currently ranks 60th.

Perhaps that's why Moss was a bit more restrained when asked about the greatness of his group.

"We have guys that can get it done: downfield, short. We have guys that do what's asked of them," Moss said. "But I don't want to pat ourselves on the back, I want to keep getting better. I feel like each week is a week to get better. As long as we keep getting better and put up points for this team, then you can start telling us how good we are then."

Unless you just want to wait for Rex Grossman to do it for you.

I like the attitude, but its a little bit of a stretch...

A couple things...

1) I want the QB of my team saying that no matter if he's throwing to The Posse or our sorry excuse for WRs from the mid-2000s.

2) As others have noted, we don't have the best starting WRs at all, but we have a very nice group of pass-catchers top to bottom.

Nice leadership though. It's two different positions, but contrast this type of talk with CP saying he wishes he could run behind great OLs for a game or two. Night and day!

In terms of depth I think we're right up there. We don't have that one dominant star but with Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong, Davis, and Cooley we have 5 legitimate pass catching threats.

When Stallworth hardly sees the field, you're pretty damned solid, IMO. No doubt.

I love the confidence Rex has and the chemistry he has with this team. I definitely think our receiving corps is underrated by the media, especially when you include Cooley and Davis. Hands down, the Packers have the best receiving corps. They are incredibly deep and they're #4-5 guys could start for a lot of teams. Other teams have guys that are so good on their own it almost doesn't matter. A lot of people may not even think about teams like Arizona who have Fitzgerald, Doucet and a rising Andre Roberts while also having King and Heap at Tight End.

But honestly, our receiving corps is incredibly deep this year and I feel very good about them. I would not say they are the best in the league, but I think any quarterback that spent as much time in this system as Grossman has would be very pleased with them. I have a hard time thinking Tom Brady wouldn't like our guys more than the ones he has if he were in the same situation.

I'll agree, I just copied Yahoo's title. I think we have a good group, and exactly- it's what you want your QB to be saying. I love how much Rex and the rest of the team believe in themselves. It's a winning mentality we haven't seen in some time.

"This is the best receiving corps in the league, in my opinion, from top to bottom. Everybody's a great player. Anthony Armstrong can do special things. He's fast, so he gets people off him. He can make big plays, Santana's great, Jabar's great. So, everybody has a role and collectively, they're one of the best."

Taken as a whole, which would include that last underlined part, Grossman's quote comes off as little more than him showing confidence in--and appreciation of--his pass catchers.

We expected the receiving corps to pretty much suck after Thomas & Kelly bombed out and we had to turn to questionable veterans like Gaffney and Stallworth. But so far they're playing pretty well.

I think it's quite a stretch to say they're the best, but we can be quite happy that they are clearly not turds.

Davis is a revelation, and Moss hasn't dropped a pass or fumbled yet.

This statement just made them better, even if they weren't already. I don't have a problem with it because he says "In my opinion..." then also says "collectively, they're one of the best...". He did NOT say "They are without a doubt THEEEE best WRs in the NFL for the 2011 season...and will have the best numbers". Rex has confidence. That confidence has us at 2-0. I'm happy. You should be too (if you are a true fan).

HTTR!

The media spins everything he says out of proportion. He mentions that we have one of the best receiving corps...and the article goes on to say that we have receivers better than jackson/maclin/celek. He says we can contend for the NFC East, and the media spins it to say he gaurantees victory. It's ridiculous.

I said this last year to friends and stuff; I'd rather have a bunch of guys I know are going to catch the football and keep the chains moving than one "star" and a bunch of underlings you can't count on nearly as much. That's bitten a team like the Chiefs in the butt, big time.

Right now we've got a bunch of talented receivers that can all do different things and can all play. Gaf's a possession guy, but he'll keep the chains moving, and he's got some size, and he's a terrific route runner than rarely drops passes. Santana Moss can go outside, can be in the slot, you can move him around and he'll still draw coverages. Armstrong and Stallworth can both go deep. Niles Paul is worth developing, and if Sunday was any indication, he's a really good blocker in the run game. Fred Davis has basically been impossible to cover, Cooley's only going to get better as he gets healthier and in football shape.

And add to that that we have two running backs that can catch out of the backfield, and even DY is good with the ball in his hands.

We might not have the biggest names, but this is the best I've felt about our receiving core in a LOOOONNNNNNGGG time.

Well, I don't think it's that much of a reach. From top to bottom we may very well have the best overall. When a guy who just a few years ago was considered by most a premier WR in the league (Stalworth) barely sees the field, you know you are pretty solid.

Not exactly sure when Stallworth was considered a premier WR in the NFL, but whatever....

We have good depth (for once)....Grossman's quote will be taken out of context.

It's true, Rexy is the only QB I can think of that when he says the things that you expect a QB to say, the media mocks him endlessly. It's cool though, once they run out of excuses for why we're winning games, I'm sure all these quotes will come back up when all the media pundits are explaining why they like the Redskins so much...

We expected the receiving corps to pretty much suck after Thomas & Kelly bombed out and we had to turn to questionable veterans like Gaffney and Stallworth. But so far they're playing pretty well.

I think it's quite a stretch to say they're the best, but we can be quite happy that they are clearly not turds.

Davis is a revelation, and Moss hasn't dropped a pass or fumbled yet.

Off topic...but you make a great point that I want to reiterate. When Thomas and Kelly were in the process of flaming out, many of us believed it would set us back at WR for years! Now, in less than one year since we cut the first one of them (Thomas), we have 2-3 solid veterans, an older second-year player who's a very strong #3, and a stable of promising young WRs (Paul, Austin, and Hankerson).

All in all, that's quite a recovery and shows how quickly things can turn if you get a couple breaks and scout well.

There's nothing wrong with being confident about your teammates' abilities, but I'm becoming frustrated with Rex and his mouth. It's okay to compliment the players who work with you, but it's something else entirely when you start making predictions about the postseason. This team has already had to deal with enough distractions. Rex, stop trying to create more by shooting off your mouth to the press with these kinds of comments. You could end up with a foot in your mouth if you aren't more careful. I also hear that words don't have a very pleasant taste when you have to eat them. If you must, either avoid the press or think through what you will say before they stick a microphone in your face. Do your job, and let the natural course of time speak for you regarding this team's fate at the end of the regular season. I want to believe just as much as any other fan that we will finally begin seeing better things from this team, but don't create more controversy by what you say. Key word: FOCUS. Thoughts for the day.

It's true, Rexy is the only QB I can think of that when he says the things that you expect a QB to say, the media mocks him endlessly. It's cool though, once they run out of excuses for why we're winning games, I'm sure all these quotes will come back up when all the media pundits are explaining why they like the Redskins so much...

They've resorted to scraping for anything. It's hilarious to read picks and such. Among some of the high quality journalism:

"The redskins are off to a suprising 2-0 start, but they're still the Redskins"

"I'm not ready to believe in the Redskins because Rex Grossman, is well Rex Grossman"

"The Cowboys may be banged up but they can still overcome the redskins, because lets face it"

It'll only get more hilarious as the weeks continue and we keep proving everyone wrong!

Archived