Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Redskins make the Playoffs cause of Rex, do we still draft a QB

storretti

BTW, I think it's pretty obvious that Indy plans to suck for Luck.

Yeah, I think I heard on ESPN one day that their GM told their fans to be patient for 16 months and that he promises it would be worth it. I caught it in passing, so I might be taking something out of context.

You really think the top 3 qbs in the draft are going to be avaliable by the 20th+ pick? We will have to give up a first and second to move into position to take one. No question about it. The way we are hitting on our rookies though, we can justify giving up a pick because there arent as many glaring holes.
All top 3, no. A guy who can sit a couple years and be something special when he gets PT, absolutely. Especially with Mike and Kyle in charge.

We still have glaring holes. We need OL help. And CB help. Atogwe (30), Landry(injury), and Fletch(old) aren't really long-term solutions for their position. We don't have a #1 WR, Moss heroics nonwithstanding. We are not one player away.

I doubt any of the teams that are going to be in position for Luck will trade away the opportunity to take him. With this win, I think we're out of the Luck sweepstakes.

There are still a NUMBER of good QB prospects.

Matt Barkley, USC

Landry Jones, OU (Not a big fan of his)

Robert Griffin III, Baylor

Nick Foles, Arizona (I know, some here aren't high on him, but I like him)

Ryan Lindley, San Diego State

Among others.

All top 3, no. A guy who can sit a couple years and be something special when he gets PT, absolutely. Especially with Mike and Kyle in charge.

We still have glaring holes. We need OL help. And CB help. Atogwe (30), Landry(injury), and Fletch(old) aren't really long-term solutions for their position. We don't have a #1 WR, Moss heroics nonwithstanding. We are not one player away.

Ok yeah, I see where you're getting at. I just don't know/or heard of any prospects besides the Luck/Landry/Barkley bunch? I'll ask here, but a question for the 2012 draft prospect thread.. Are there any QBs in the draft that have great potential but need a couple years to ride the bench that will be avaliable at the slotted spot IF we draft in the late round.

Wow funny. NOT! If you have the ammo, a need for that position and could change your team for 10+ years then you do it.
Hence, Jason Campbell. How'd that work out, and why?

---------- Post added September-18th-2011 at 05:33 PM ----------

Ok yeah, I see where you're getting at. I just don't know/or heard of any prospects besides the Luck/Landry/Barkley bunch? I'll ask here, but a question for the 2012 draft prospect thread.. Are there any QBs in the draft that have great potential but need a couple years to ride the bench that will be avaliable at the slotted spot IF we draft in the late round.
I'm not that knowledgeable. But KDAWG just mentioned some. Last draft, I like the way Shanahallen GAINED picks and still got us guys like Ker-again, Helu, and Nield. Still hoping Hankerson will be good and Jenkins good next season.

Yes, cosigning with the posters saying you have to because he's 30. QBs can play in this league barring injury well into their 30s, but if something potentially better comes along, then you draft him and let him learn the offense for a year or two before handing over the reins. In the mean time, Rex will be Rex. He has flashes of brilliance and sometimes tries to force passes into tight coverage.

Hence, Jason Campbell. How'd that work out, and why?

To be honest, they took Campbell way too early. I think most teams and scouts really had him graded as maybe a 2nd rounder. He is a decent QB; nothing special but not terrible...pretty much average. And that is what you're most likely to get with a 2nd round QB.

To be honest, they took Campbell way too early. I think most teams and scouts really had him graded as maybe a 2nd rounder. He is a decent QB; nothing special but not terrible...pretty much average. And that is what you're most likely to get with a 2nd round QB.
Just saying we traded up to get him. Sacrificed a bit of the future, for a guy who got outplayed by a career backup in 2007, and couldn't carry us in 2008 when we needed him. Enough attempts at quick fixes, I was shocked at how well Shanahallen did trading DOWN last draft.

edit: The Redskins traded up in the draft to get Campbell, surrendering a third round pick in the 2005 NFL draft, along with first and fourth round picks in 2006. Joe Gibbs, I love ya but what were you thinking then?

Archived