Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Return of the Jedi on blu-ray: George Lucas at it again

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

I'm not usually a big tailgate guy but im so ****ing pissed about this im ready to rip out of my own organs just to throw them at George Lucas. He took the most powerful scene in the original trilogy, and added the biggest internet joke from 2005-2007 into it, and hes dead serious about it. The word "NO" will successfully ruin Return of the jedi, not to mention more CGI yoda nonsense and ewoks with CGI blinking.

**** you George Lucas, youre the al davis of hollywood: respected for what you did 30 years ago while everyone secretly waits for you to die so you can stop ruining a timeless classic.

/rant

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/31/lucasfilm-confirms-change-to-blu-ray-release-of-return-of-the-jedi/?src=tp

Feel sorry for me then. That's the worst movie of the original trilogy. I think it works.

so honestly, that scene just wasnt working for you before, you felt it was missing something, and him editing a completely out of place "NO" in there during the most epic scene of the trilogy AND adding a hilariously comic NOOOOOO in there afterwards now makes it better?

would you like nipples added to the Mona Lisa to spruce it up a bit?

so honestly, that scene just wasnt working for you before, you felt it was missing something, and him editing a completely out of place "NO" in there during the most epic scene of the trilogy AND adding a hilariously comic NOOOOOO in there afterwards now makes it better?

would you like nipples added to the Mona Lisa to spruce it up a bit?

I retract my remark. I'm not nearly enough of a geek to argue with you. That moment in Jedi was moving, but his vocalization actually helps emulate his feelings. To turn on your master, and not make a sound or a discomforting grunt to do something like kill your master is inhuman. Put it in, take it out. Whatever. " You could use a good kiss!". Don't **** with that one.

i'm not usually overly critical of lucas. wasn't a fan of the greedo shooting first but whatever. all the added cgi doesn't bother me. hell, i didn't even hate the NOOOOOOOOOOOO in rots. but i'm with you on this one, blc. that's just awful.

ive hated every single change because they were all unnecessary beyond belief. hes been taking something that made him a billionaire/legend/icon and ruining it every chance he gets. greedo shoots first, ewok song replaced with lame reggae crap, CGI monsters (mixed with 70s puppets) that look atrocious, jabba the hutt added into SW thats completely out of place and terribly executed, removing the original anakin in ROTJ in place of that hack Hayden Christiansen, removing Boba Fetts voice for the new loser in the "new star wars movies", removing the original emperor scene for a poor substitute with added terrible dialogue.

i cant wait for the next run of movies where he adds Whitney Houston songs to when hans been put into carbon freeze, or adding AOL instant message sound effects to the droids on the jawa sandcrawler. and worst part about it? people will defend the changes.

---------- Post added September-1st-2011 at 12:37 AM ----------

I retract my remark. I'm not nearly enough of a geek to argue with you. That moment in Jedi was moving, but his vocalization actually helps emulate his feelings. To turn on your master, and not make a sound or a discomforting grunt to do something like kill your master is inhuman. Put it in, take it out. Whatever. " You could use a good kiss!". Don't **** with that one.

trust me, im sitting here in a star wars toy room filled with every star wars toy from the 70s/80s, so i doubt youre a 1/4 of the huge dork i am! haha

and wait for him to change "I Love You.....I Know" to "I Love You.......I too love you Princess Leia". im cringing! lol

Let's see here. :geek: Overall,been happy with most of the changes George made to the originals. I can even see why he made most of them. Loved the newer CGI looks and a few added scenes. However,he does tend to over think things and one example of that was having Greedo shoot first,(the original scene made Han an instant bad ass in a good way. Perfect lead in for his "Sorry for the mess" scene." That and putting Hayden Christiansen in at the end of Jedi,(which,as much as I enjoyed it,wasn't as good as its predecessors when it originally came out). This would also be one of those times. Leave it be I say.

I absolutely love the score from John Williams at the end of ROTJ. It presents all the emotion you need, now it's pretty much scuffed out at its apex.

The subtle "No" that Vader mumbles prepares the (new) viewer for Vader's sudden turn on the Emporer. Some shock value is lost, IMO.

Little known fact is that Vader's mask was switched out for that scene. They used one with rounder eyes than the normal mask in order to show Vader having more emotion.

Really no big deal for me.

Changing the title of Star Wars: Big deal.

Greedo shoots first: Big deal.

Lucas taking a scene in Cloud City that used to have a blank wall as a background, and matting in "windows", instead? Seriously, I'm almost embarrassed that I noticed.

Adding "no" to that scene is not helpful, I agree. He should have added something truly badass. "Recognize, *****." Or "upsy-daisy, now.... downsy-daisy ! BLAM!"

Contest time: Come up with some badass lines that could have been used, there. :)

"A Jedi must let go of his feelings".

Sad thing is I almost lost count of how many times I bought these Movies:

1980's: Star Wars on Beta, Star Wars, Empire and ROTJ on VHS

1995: VHS remastered Editions (all 3)

1997: VHS Special Editions (all 3)

1999: Episode one on VHS

2002: EP 1 & Ep 2 on DVD

2004: DVD Special editions

2005: EP 3 on DVD

2011: BLU RAYs for all 6 movies

What a sucker I am!!!!!

What a sucker I am!!!!!

I think I've bought Star Trek, the original series, four times.

And the latest version, on BluRay, was outrageously expensive, and didn't even come in a decent box. 250 bucks, and they can't put it in a decent box?

What a sucker I am!!!!!

Here comes 3D.

Why is Greedo shooting first a big deal?

Han Solo is a badass character because he shot first. He fights dirty. It's part of his character.

There's a line in one of Brian Daly's Han Solo books. (Published back when Star Wars was one movie.)

Girl: "Do you always shoot first and ask questions later?"

Solo: "I prefer shooting first. As opposed to shooting second."

Archived