Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Return of the Jedi on blu-ray: George Lucas at it again

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

Compare them to the lightsaber duels in I, II, and III

You're correct on the emotion, but the actual sword play was sub-par. I never once thought that Luke or Darth had mastered anything. It looks like they planned it out about a half hour prior and tried to improve it.

the duels in I, II, and III are overdone, in my opinion. Lots of unnecessary flash and twirls for the sake of trying to look awesome.

Empire's lightsaber duel told the best story

Luke is young and inexperienced and decides to leave his training and rushes in against a foe he isn't ready for and gets his ass kicked. It told a story and revealed a key plot point.

and somebody for the love of God tell me what the plot of AOTC was??? WTF was that Sifa-diyas dude?? I'm a hardcore star wars geek but that plot still makes ZERO sense

and somebody for the love of God tell me what the plot of AOTC was??? WTF was that Sifa-diyas dude?? I'm a hardcore star wars geek but that plot still makes ZERO sense

If you haven't seen them already, watch the redlettermedia reviews of episodes 1-3. They are absolutely hilarious but at the same time very thoughtful from a filmmaking perspective. I mention those because they also touch heavily on the "what the **** is even going on in this movie" thing that you alluded to.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

If you haven't seen them already, watch the redlettermedia reviews of episodes 1-3. They are absolutely hilarious but at the same time very thoughtful from a filmmaking perspective. I mention those because they also touch heavily on the "what the **** is even going on in this movie" thing that you alluded to.

are those the ones where the dude talks in the weird voice and is like a serial killing movie reviewer??

those were good reviews

the duels in I, II, and III are overdone, in my opinion. Lots of unnecessary flash and twirls for the sake of trying to look awesome.

thats my whole point. the fighting in the original trilogy is just a supplement to the extremely well written scripts by lawrence kasden. hell, even lucas got some good stuff going in SW when obi wan and vader battle. the sword fighting was merely icing on the cake for the scenes, each sequence was *stab* *stab* *stab* *awesome line* *stab* *stab* *stab* *awesome line by other guy*.

in the new garbage movies the scripts are so terrible and the actors so terrible they wanted as little dialogue as possible, so insert darth maul. might as well have called him Darth Mall Goth.

Holy ****, these are awesome!

Oh, Christ, I'm referencing the Phantom Menace as a positive example!

:hysterical:

are those the ones where the dude talks in the weird voice and is like a serial killing movie reviewer??

those were good reviews

Definately good reviews. But I have to ask, who would know so much about star wars to even be able to pick out these things that's he's criticizing? The guys must have watched each of these movies about 100 times, so he must enjoy them on some level.

Why did they have to kill off Darth Maul at the end of I? I don't get it.

Maul was a badass, no doubt... but there were a couple reasons to kill him off:

- Shows Obi-wan as a very skilled Jedi (killing a Sith Lord)

- Count Dooku becomes the new Sith apprentice in the next movie, establishing the precedent that Jedi's can be seduced by the Dark Side

- Count Dooku becomes the new Sith apprentice in the next movie, establishing the precedent that Jedi's can be seduced by the Dark Side

Dooku should have been a good guy. A renegade Jedi who saw the cancer that was growing in the Republic and was starting a nascent rebellion.

Could have led to a great story as some Jedi went with him and others remained loyal to the republic. Oh well. He's just another lame character in an unspeakably bad movie.

See, I always thought that Dooku had already fallen to the dark side and that Darth Maul was expendable.

I wish they hadn't killed him off though. It would have been interesting for that character to be a sub plot later on.

Dooku should have been a good guy. A renegade Jedi who saw the cancer that was growing in the Republic and was starting a nascent rebellion.

Could have led to a great story as some Jedi went with him and others remained loyal to the republic. Oh well. He's just another lame character in an unspeakably bad movie.

That would have been cool.

The problem is its not black and white. Star Wars is very black and white. Han Solo is about the only gray area, and he really isn't a bad guy, as much as he gets painted out to be a scoundrel and a thief. A character like what you're describing would have been really, really interesting.

That would have been cool.

The problem is its not black and white. Star Wars is very black and white. Han Solo is about the only gray area, and he really isn't a bad guy, as much as he gets painted out to be a scoundrel and a thief. A character like what you're describing would have been really, really interesting.

I think you'd have to have some gray area if your storyline includes two guys who used to work together and be friends eventually fighting until one of them is permanently disfigured.

Besides when Dooku captured Obi Wan he told him exactly this. It was the one time in the whole trilogy that had my attention. I thought, "Oh Dooku's a good guy and trying to get Obi Wan to join him. Anakin will stay loyal to the republic, while other Jedi follow Obi Wan. Then Darth Vader will 'hunt down' and destroy the disloyal Jedi."

Then it went back to making no sense.

I think you'd have to have some gray area if your storyline includes two guys who used to work together and be friends eventually fighting until one of them is permanently disfigured.

Besides when Dooku captured Obi Wan he told him exactly this. It was the one time in the whole trilogy that had my attention. I thought, "Oh Dooku's a good guy and trying to get Obi Wan to join him. Anakin will stay loyal to the republic, while other Jedi follow Obi Wan. Then Darth Vader will 'hunt down' and destroy the disloyal Jedi."

Then it went back to making no sense.

I totally agree with this. Even had it panned out with Dooku being seduced by the Dark Side despite his noble intentions of healing the Republic, it still would have introduced complexity (actual, meaningful plot complexity - not mindless entropy) and suddenly made all the characters much less one-dimensional.

The first NO was actually pretty good. It was short, under his breath and it gives an audible sense of Anakin finally breaking free from the Emperor's grip. I liked it. The second longer NOOOO is unnecessary and way too on the nose trying to sync or "rhyme" as Uncle George calls it with the end of Sith.

I have no problem if Lucas wants to tweak HIS movies. I've liked many of his additions. However I wish he would respect the fact that for a group of us the unaltered films are OUR films. We grew up on them and we would like to revisit them in the newer formats. Do whatever changes he wants but also make available the original versions and I think everyone will be happy.

Archived