Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Return of the Jedi on blu-ray: George Lucas at it again

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

Han Solo is a badass character because he shot first. He fights dirty. It's part of his character.

There's a line in one of Brian Daly's Han Solo books. (Published back when Star Wars was one movie.)

Girl: "Do you always shoot first and ask questions later?"

Solo: "I prefer shooting first. As opposed to shooting second."

Uh okay. So ... you're basing it on a book? A book that had no basis at all in the Star Wars world because Lucas hadn't completed it yet?

Han Solo is badass whether he shot first or not. He's a womanizing, devious scoundrel who has an ugly ship and an even uglier best friend.

Okay guys.... I understand what you're saying here. Not a huge star wars dork, but really liked the movies. Hate the CGI crap and prefer the puppets. I liked the restoration of the film, (sharpening the colors, brightning stuff, etc.). I even liked the added scene with Jabba the hut (would have been better if jabba was a puppet, but glad to see it anyways).

Why the hell would Lucas want to add the word "No" to this scene? It's like an old senile uncle who pisses on the family photo album. And what is this crap with adding Hayden Christianson to the end of ROJ? Never saw that.

Uh okay. So ... you're basing it on a book? A book that had no basis at all in the Star Wars world because Lucas hadn't completed it yet?

Han Solo is badass whether he shot first or not. He's a womanizing, devious scoundrel who has an ugly ship and an even uglier best friend.

The reason geeks are mad is because the original had Han shooting first. Lucas changed that in the remake to make Han look like less of a dirtbag smuggler, and more of a hero to the kiddies. Lots of star wars geeks are pretty annoyed with Lucas's "kid friendly" mindset. Exhibit A: Jar Jar.

Han Solo is a freaking PIRATE!

As a kid he was THE badass - not whiny Luke with his special powers and incest issues...

Han had the cool, beat up but fast spaceship, a loyal canine like buddy and busted peoples balls.

Han shot first.

**** yes.

im just glad i have ripped versions of the Laser discs and at least lucas did release the OT on the special editions, even if theyre not properly formatted aspect ratio. dont even care, ill watch it grainy and old, just the way i remembered watching it on beta in 1989 as a kid.

It does make a difference. Before Han went kind of soft in ROTJ, he was a renegade that took no crap. Lucas seemed to have forgotten that.

As for the change in ROTJ, I don't like it. We don't need to hear Vader say NOOOOOO.

I'm so happy I have the original VHS's with none of Lucas' tomfoolery.

---------- Post added September-1st-2011 at 01:35 PM ----------

I wish Lucas would re-do the lightsaber duels. Seriously, Episodes IV, V, and VI are weaksauce

IV, V and VI >>>>> new trilogy

Unless you exclusively mean lightsaber duels in which case yeah but it was 77, 80 and 83 can't expect too much.

I wish Lucas would re-do the lightsaber duels. Seriously, Episodes IV, V, and VI are weaksauce

I don't think they should be re-done, but I agree that they were pretty weak in the originals. I swear I could kill Luke and Darth by myself, with a broomstick.

There was a plot in the original trilogy? What was it? Uh ... evil empire is bad, rebels are good. Blow up death star.

Yep, that was Star Wars.

That was why it was great cinema.

It was when he decided to get all pretentious that they went downhill. (Although I do think Empire was great. Probably the best one.

I don't think they should be re-done, but I agree that they were pretty weak in the originals. I swear I could kill Luke and Darth by myself, with a broomstick.

Sort of my point. While I don't expect Darth Vader and old Obi to be as athletic and nimble as episodes II & III, the lightsaber duel in episode IV is borderline retarded. Obi shuffles his feet, Darth takes a giant hack and then Obi gives up. WTF?

Yep, that was Star Wars.

That was why it was great cinema.

It was when he decided to get all pretentious that they went downhill. (Although I do think Empire was great. Probably the best one.

But there's nothing particularly epic about the plot. At least, not until the most famous Star Wars moment of all time in Empire. Other than that, its simply the story of the little guy standing up to the evil, big guy.

There was a plot in the original trilogy? What was it? Uh ... evil empire is bad, rebels are good. Blow up death star.

Sure. And there's was the arc of the hero's journey (Luke); the idea of redemption (Vader); sacrifice (Obi Wan and ultimately Vader); betrayal (Lando); romance (Han and Leia); and 100 other subtle plot point that Lucas exploits pretty well in the original trilogy. But in Eps 1-3 he esentially uses them as a bathroom break between special effects fights. From Yoda's quote "War does not make one great" in Empire to Obi Wan telling Anakin "This (holding out a lightsaber) is your life" in Clones.

The reason inserting unnecessary lightsaber duels into the original is a bad idea (other than that they're unnecessary) is that they would take away from to overall story. Luke and Vader don't need to duel for 45 minutes in 12 different settings, because the duel itself isn't the plot. The duel is a minor device to drive the plot. You don't need Obi Wan and Vader to battle for 45 minutes in Ep 4 because he's ultimately going to sacrifice himself. The duel is to buy time for Luke and Co. to escape.

It's the same way I never saw Avatar because all I heard about were the awesome special effects, and that the weak story wasn't the point. Well that's nice and all, but I grew up going on all those Disney/6 Flags type 3D rides. I wasn't going to pay $12 to sit through one for 2 hours just because. To this day I've still never seen Ep 3. Why? Because I know how it ends, and I've seen most of the 45 minutes of the Obi/Ani duel online anyway. So why sit through an atrocious script that leads to sterile acting when I've already seen the 5 minutes of plot (Ani betrays the Jedi, becomes Vader, Padme dies) that the movie tries to fit in between 2 hours of lightsaber fighting?

star wars is so terrible. the original trilogy is the most overrated thing on planet earth, the prequels are completely laughable garbage, and its fans are insipid fanboys who aren't even intelligent enough to be called nerds. the poster in here calling for lucas to redo the lightsaber scenes in the original trilogy perfectly encapsulates what a shallow and contemptible enterprise the whole thing is.

as an aside -- and this part is not a value judgement -- don't mistake star wars for sci-fi. it's pure fantasy in the style of Lord of the Rings or Wheel of Time. magical forces, good vs evil, children born into destiny, the toppling of an emperor as the new hero (of royal lineage, of course) masters his own magical powers. they even do their fighting with swords. they simply use spaceships instead of horses. everything else is straight out of classical fairy tales and mythology.

I'm actually okay with a lot of the changes Lucas has made to the Star Wars trilogy. Many of them are subtle and fix errors or in some ways connect the trilogies together. Problems arise when Lucas starts obsessing over bigger "fixes"... important character changes (Han shooting first) or adding in dialogue (Vader's new scream). The scream also shows how out of touch Lucas has become to modern day fans. Didn't SOMEONE at Lucas Film go... "uh, George, everyone ****ing hated that line in Revenge of the Sith."

They better've added the Imperial March to A New Hope, though. That was the biggest change I wanted. Oh, and fix the flippin' saber colors in IV-VI.

But there's nothing particularly epic about the plot. At least, not until the most famous Star Wars moment of all time in Empire. Other than that, its simply the story of the little guy standing up to the evil, big guy.

Oh, I agree. IMO, there isn't supposed to be any great Moral Message or what have you in Star Wars. Star Wars is (or was) a gosh-wow shoot-em-up.

(And there's nothing whatsoever wrong with that. As an example, I'm a big fan of Buckaroo Bonzai. I mentally classify it as "hokey science fiction". But to me, it's a very well done hokey science fiction. Similarly, to me, Star Wars is (or was) one of the best examples of the category "Space Opera".)

To me, Star Wars is a better textbook example of the genre. Empire, I enjoyed more. I think because of the increased budget, more locations, things like that.

And, I liked it because it showed the Rebellion as underdogs. It showed them getting their butts kicked.

To me, the story is more entertaining if the Bad Guys are actually dangerous.

star wars is so terrible. the original trilogy is the most overrated thing on planet earth, the prequels are completely laughable garbage, and its fans are insipid fanboys who aren't even intelligent enough to be called nerds. the poster in here calling for lucas to redo the lightsaber scenes in the original trilogy perfectly encapsulates what a shallow and contemptible enterprise the whole thing is.

as an aside -- and this part is not a value judgement -- don't mistake star wars for sci-fi. it's pure fantasy in the style of Lord of the Rings or Wheel of Time. magical forces, good vs evil, children born into destiny, the toppling of an emperor as the new hero (of royal lineage, of course) masters his own magical powers. they even do their fighting with swords. they simply use spaceships instead of horses. everything else is straight out of classical fairy tales and mythology.

Tell us how you really feel hipster...

star wars is so terrible. the original trilogy is the most overrated thing on planet earth, the prequels are completely laughable garbage, and its fans are insipid fanboys who aren't even intelligent enough to be called nerds.

You're kind of an idiot.

There, I feel better.

I've made a very similar argument to friends. FWIW, my Original Trilogy DVD's came with a second disc that had the original theatrical releases.. occasional squiggly lines and all...and those are the ones I usually watch.

Tell us how you really feel hipster...

not remotely a hipster. i'm a nerd, through and through.

You're kind of an idiot.

There, I feel better.

maybe in the blu-ray edition, lucas can cgi in a replacement comment that's more worthwhile. (not that you won't wait in line to buy it for the fifth time anyway)

Archived