Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

National Sports Magazines 'Predict' That Our Beloved REDSKINS Will 'Stink'!?!

OlufemiBiz

:beavisnbutthead: Check THIS article out: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/national-magazines-predict-redskins-will-stink/2011/08/28/gIQAIox7lJ_blog.html.

:helmet: I, for One; and, hopefully, our ENTIRE Team (Owners, Front-Office Personnel, Coaches, Players, Trainers, Interns, et al., etc.), also galvanizes around the 'universal HATE' of our City (I'm from Kinshasa, DRC, via - SouthEast -'South Side Mob' / Anacostia & Congress Heights) and Team, in order to 'back-up' Rex's 'prognostication'!

:point2sky I predict that, not only shall we WIN the 'NFC-Beast'; but, we will 'sport' an '11-5' record;, as well as foray 'DEEPLY' into the playoffs/'paloffs'!!! WRITE it down.

:logo: HAIL!!!

There's nothing I hate seeing more on ES than ****ing about the media saying we will stink. Or that we have stunk. Or that we currently stink.

Newsflash. We have, in fact, stunk. They don't follow our team as closely as we do, and certainly don't give the Skins the benefit of the doubt.

When we don't stink, they will stop the "hate". Until then, just ignore it. Very little useful info comes from national media sources anyways.

Also, I think you may be confused about the proper usage of apostrophes, quotations and your caps-lock key.

There's nothing I hate seeing more on ES than ****ing about the media saying we will stink. Or that we have stunk. Or that we currently stink.

Newsflash. We have, in fact, stunk. They don't follow our team as closely as we do, and certainly don't give the Skins the benefit of the doubt.

When we don't stink, they will stop the "hate". Until then, just ignore it. Very little useful info comes from national media sources anyways.

Also, I think you may be confused about the proper usage of apostrophes, quotations and your caps-lock key.

whoa, calm yourself. these threads are created year in and year out, and are usually interesting to see how the casual observer ranks our team. And this year is especially interesting, as the team has been deemed the "worst" team in the NFL... i mean 2-14? doesn't even seem rational

To: ConnSkins26:

I would hardly refer to my post as '****ing'; therefore, I think that it is YOU who are 'confused' as to the 'gist' of my post, as well as my 'emphasis-added'.

Also,if I sought-after a 'grammatical instruction', I would have REQUESTED same!?! If you weren't such the 'ultra-reactionary', you would not have taken my post 'out-of-context'. Next-time I wish to be 'admonished' by someone who is '14-years-JUNIOR' to my eldest Son, I'll seek audience with my GRANDSON or GRANDDAUGHTER!

I am Congolese. Our diction, etc., differs GREATLY from YOUR 'Junior-Flip' mode of verbal expression. *BOTTOM-LINE: Quit '****ing' about MY grammar, and add something USEFUL to the post!!!

I have been a DIE-HARD Redskins Fan, since I came to America (1965)! I also fought in Southeast Asia (USNavSpecWar-Special Boat Unit). The only thing YOUR 'arrogant' behind has fought was keeping your nose level while you ambulate...

Further, I'm NOT going to engage in ANY FURTHER diatribe with 'The Yankee-English Police'...

See, but your over use of punctuation makes your post hard to read, and wether you are 53 or 13 it is beneficial to write in a manner that is both clear ond concise. Your post is neither.

Having said that it does baffle me some to see them rank us as poorly as they have. To say this team would finish in the bottom third of the league is, unfortunately, reasonable. But to lable the team as the worst in the NFL seems absurd. Most national analysts agree we have made good moves over the summer, yet feel that other teams have surpassed the Redskins. I am just not sure where they get that prediction.

To: ConnSkins26:

I would hardly refer to my post as '****ing'; therefore, I think that it is YOU who are 'confused' as to the 'gist' of my post, as well as my 'emphasis-added'.

Also,if I sought-after a 'grammatical instruction', I would have REQUESTED same!?! If you weren't such the 'ultra-reactionary', you would not have taken my post 'out-of-context'. Next-time I wish to be 'admonished' by someone who is '14-years-JUNIOR' to my eldest Son, I'll seek audience with my GRANDSON or GRANDDAUGHTER!

I am Congolese. Our diction, etc., differs GREATLY from YOUR 'Junior-Flip' mode of verbal expression. *BOTTOM-LINE: Quit '****ing' about MY grammar, and add something USEFUL to the post!!!

I have been a DIE-HARD Redskins Fan, since I came to America (1965)! I also fought in Southeast Asia (USNavSpecWar-Special Boat Unit). The only thing YOUR 'arrogant' behind has fought was keeping your nose level while you ambulate...

Further, I'm NOT going to engage in ANY FURTHER diatribe with 'The Yankee-English Police'...

Yeah....you took this a place it didn't need to go. Thank you for your service, and I respect the hell out of that. I have nothing to say to the rest of your post, which is unnecessary and, frankly, pretty insulting. My age has about as much to do with this topic as...well, everything else about you. Which I do find interesting, by the way.

But your post seemed to be looking for thoughts on the topic. I gave them to you, along with an aside at the end which I felt necessary, because it is very hard to read your thoughts as written. It has nothing to do with grammar--its just presentation. Which is important when attempting to communicate online.

Having said that it does baffle me some to see them rank us as poorly as they have. To say this team would finish in the bottom third of the league is, unfortunately, reasonable. But to lable the team as the worst in the NFL seems absurd. Most national analysts agree we have made good moves over the summer, yet feel that other teams have surpassed the Redskins. I am just not sure where they get that prediction.

^^They get that prediction from doing an incredibly lazy job in their analysis and predictions.

A few of them only have a shallow understanding of football--the type of understanding usually reserved for message boards lol--and basically equate the lack of "name" players on the Skins as meaning they can't possibly play well this season.

Still a few more simply think it's impossible for either Beck or Grossman to put together a good enough season to get a team like the Skins to more than a handful of wins. If McNabb were still on the team, they'd be predicting 8 wins...hell, if McNabb were still on the team they might actually attempt to follow the Redskins enough to make a fairer assessment. But John Beck doesn't inspire too many writers to do more work than the absolute minimum. Basically, it's them telling themselves "They only won 6 games with McNabb. Starting Beck or Grossman should cost them at least 2 wins. That means they'll go 4-12."

Finally, most of these predictions were probably set in stone before the preseason games started...and these writers don't feel any need to re-evaluate their initial perceptions of the Redskins.

Their predictions aren't based on knowledge and observations of the team. So their predictions are worthless.

Get over it. Year in and Year people are complaining about the national rep the Skins gets. You know what we have earned it. Year in and year out since Norv was here this team has underachieved. Only once did this team exceed expectations and that was Synder's first year.

The national press will fall in love us when we become consistent winners and seriously challenge for the Superbowl.

Look at the most consistent teams the last decade:

Colts: Playoff regulars and a 1-1 superbowl record

Pats: Playoff regulars and a 3-1 superbowl record

Steelers: playoff regulars and a 2-1 superbowl record

Eagles: playoff regulars and a 0-1 superbowl record

Only the Eagles haven't won a bowl. You win regularly and the respect will follow.

Honestly, don't really care what the media says. I am realistic and know what to expect with this team. Depending on the QB play, this team is anywhere from a 6 to 9 win team. I'll probably pick 8-8 when I make my predictions next week.

As long as Snyder remains calm and gives Shanny the time to do his job, then in 2-3 years we will have the team that regular challenges for the playoffs and superbowls.

given the past 3 games, the progress in replacing personnel, and what appears to be a vastly better QB situation than some thought (at the very least one, if not both, of our QBs are capable of outperforming what mcnabb did), I find it inconceivable that we could be worse than last year. Maybe it won't translate to many more wins, but I cant see 5 wins or less again and we are certainly better than at least 10 other teams. It's more lazy reporting but it doesnt mean squat, we will just laugh when these reporters act all surprised when they realize our defense can stop people and our QBs aren't complete scrubs.

The Skins annual suckage aside, it's nice to see someone from the Post stick up for them kinda.

Those magazine articles make me want Beck or Rex to do very well aside from the obvious general desire to see the Skins do well as a Skins' fan.

We are 3 consecutive wining seasons away from not seeing a major reduction in articles like this.

Interesting....did Carolina just signed 54 other players? There D# is nowhere close to good and there QB is completing like 30% of his throws.

If this story is writting before the season then I understand it. But if it is writting in the last couple of days...then weird. Sure we have some qeustional depth at the o-line but 2 or 3 wins, wtf?

I think a good thing to point out about the NFC east is that the Eagles are dead center in the spotlight, hanging everything on Vick, and going for the ride with all those fancy free agents.

I predict a collapse in Philly, and even if they do manage to win most of their games, they're still under the pressure. Whether they like it or not, they are the Miami Heat of the NFL this year.. difference is, there's only 16 games and you can't count on lebron or wade dunking it into the endzone in the 'regular' season. In this scenario, every game matters, and you can't just expect this 'awesome super team' to gel instantly. It doesn't work that way in the NFL, the guys they signed are older, and not only do I predict a fallout in Philly this year, but for the next few years to come... think about how screwed their roster will be super bowl win or not.

And when they're falling, the Skins are rebuilding and climbing to the top of the division. The Giants already have a sense of 'falling' and the Cowboys are just going to think they're awesome once again and will once again fail to succeed.

If we're talking about winning the NFCE, the Skins are in prime position to take advantage of the other teams' drama/pressure. Tom Coughlin will be fired if the Giants fail to make the playoffs. Andy Reid will be given at least 2 years with his super team and jason garret, IMO, is in over his head with the usual Dallas expectations. Much like Coughlin, he'll get the boot soon if the Boys suck.

Meanwhile, Snyder, Shannahan and all of Redskin nation knows that we are rebuilding. No expectations for THIS year. So we have options. Take advantage of the rest of the division, try to take the east. If not, next year, the Skins are looking very promising while the rest of the coaches in the NFCE are getting canned.

I love how things are going now in the NFCE

^^They get that prediction from doing an incredibly lazy job in their analysis and predictions.

Their predictions aren't based on knowledge and observations of the team. So their predictions are worthless.

This!

UnWise Mike does an excellent job of hammering the reports here:

Quarterback would be the obvious first answer, and yes, John Beck and Rex Grossman do not and will never have the credentials of Donovan McNabb. But whatever you think of Mike Shanahan’s handling of that situation, and whatever you think of Donovan McNabb’s credentials, he stunk last year. If the Rex Grossman who played the final three games of 2010 was a downgrade, it was a pretty darn minor one.

Secondary? Yes, the LaRon Landry injury is troublesome. Yes, the Josh Wilson injury, too. And yes, Carlos Rogers was probably undervalued by many fans because of the dropsies. But all that gets balanced out by the acquisition of O.J. Atogwe, and the fact that Landry was hurt for much of 2010 anyhow.

And other than that, where in the world is this team worse than the 2010 version? Would any Redskins fan want the 2010 Clinton Portis over the 2011 Tim Hightower, the 2010 Casey Rabach over the 2011 Will Montgomery, the 2010 Mike Sellers over the 2011 Darrel Young, the 2010 Andre Carter over the 2011 Ryan Kerrigan, the 2010 Joey Galloway over the 2011 Jabar Gaffney, the 2010 Albert Haynesworth over the 2011 Barry Cofield, the 2010 punter-by-committee over the 2011 Sav Rocca, the 2010 Trent Williams and Brian Orakpo over the versions with one more year of experience?

Everyone is hammering the Redskins for Beck/Grossman -- but people ignore the McNabb was TERRIBLE last year. TERRIBLE! Like Mr Wise said -- at worst it's a minor downgrade. I really can't see Shanahan missing that badly (again) on a QB. Not to mention Hightower/Helu look really good. Really. good. The pass rush is much improved as is the DL. I am not talking about the score of the preseason games, no one cares about that. The pass rush against the Ravens was very good -- against their starters. As was against the Colts and Steelers.

And the reason I, as a fan, get annoyed by these articles is because people who I pay money to to inform me about my team and the NFL in general don't do their jobs. They mail it in. That pisses me off. You think the Redskins are worse than Carolina? Fine, tell me why.

i think i was optimistic last year, but looking back, that was dumb. we didn't have the players for the system we were going to run, mcnabb is lazy, portis was worthless, etc, etc, etc.

this year, i see a team being built. i would love playoffs, but would settle for a year that we have momentum going into the offseason.

since spurrier came in:

2002: 7-9

2003: 5-11

2004: 6-10

2005: 10-6

2006: 5-11

2007: 9-7

2008: 8-8

2009: 4-12

2010: 6-10

so over the past 9 seasons, 5 of them have resulted in double digit losses, 2 were 500 or below, and 2 were above 500. and people cant understand why the media thinks we'll suck? we've sucked a lot for the past 2 decades, not much suggests we'll turn it around right now.

since spurrier came in:

...so over the past 9 seasons, 5 of them have resulted in double digit losses, 2 were 500 or below, and 2 were above 500. and people cant understand why the media thinks we'll suck? we've sucked a lot for the past 2 decades, not much suggests we'll turn it around right now.

I agree, BUT:

Most sports journalists are still 'journalists' that have never even played a sport in their lives and who live off the hype more than we homers do. But, the correct knee jerk reaction to anything Redskins should be a warranted bottom third finish. But why I think they are wrong (from an athletes POV) is that:

1) The Skins, despite the pathetic run game, pathetic defense, and the moderate QB play of last year, played like an 8-8 team (6 wins plus two ridiculous missed kicks) - so I'm thinking this season 8-8, but

2) We've had a complete re-tooling of key players. So far, our D looks incredible and our offense is moving, just not scoring. So, I'm thinking 9-7, and:

3) Our schedule is easier. Although I think the Rams are an improving team, I still think 9-7, maybe 10-6. But not lower than 8-8.

So, these are my expectations. 8-8 or better. Middle of the herd. I guess journalists don't see it this way, yet I find it hard to believe we get worse this year.

so over the past 9 seasons, 5 of them have resulted in double digit losses, 2 were 500 or below, and 2 were above 500. and people cant understand why the media thinks we'll suck? we've sucked a lot for the past 2 decades, not much suggests we'll turn it around right now.

Very true -- we've pretty much blown goats since 1993. But really? 3 wins? Worse than the Panthers, Bills, Broncos, etc. etc.? Please. That's just idiotic. I'll put a sig bet with ANYONE the Redskins come nowhere near as bad as everyone is saying.

We aren't making the playoffs this year -- but we're not going to be bottom of the barrell (but we will still trade up for Jones/Barkley, MAYBE Luck, but I doubt it.)

Archived