Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Graham Gano Clutch?

airs0ft3r

He did come through when we needed him in OT, but I wouldn't consider him as clutch. Clutch kickers make the easy ones, far ones, etc, then again maybe Hunter was screwing him up more than we think, he's seemed to have gotten better since he's been gone for the most part.

He did come through when we needed him in OT, but I wouldn't consider him as clutch. Clutch kickers make the easy ones, far ones, etc, then again maybe Hunter was screwing him up more than we think, he's seemed to have gotten better since he's been gone for the most part.

This isn't necessarily true. Vinateri wasn't always among the most accurate kickers as far as % went but he hit the ones that counted. He was clutch. Vanderjagt was amongst the most accurate in league history at one point, but couldn't hit the ones that mattered.

That being said I think Gano's sample size is much too small to decide if he is clutch or not. At this point I would label him as inconsistent, though he has looked good in preseason.

Makes more sense LAX, to label him as inconsistent. I guess that's more along what I was looking for, just couldn't grab it in my head when posting. I don't expect him to make everyone of his kicks, but it seemed like he struggled a lot with the easy ones, however as I said, maybe Hunter wasn't placing the ball correctly for him.

Either way, definitely not labeled as clutch yet, or shouldn't be.

I read this on wikipedia.

"He cemented his status as a clutch kicker for the Redskins by contributing to 3 Overtime game-winning Field Goals when playing the Green Bay Packers, Tennessee Titans, and the Jacksonville Jaguars."

I've never thought of Gano as clutch. What do you guys think?

He's clutch. Problem arise for him in non-clutch time. Kind of reminds me of Mosley in that.

I was one of the many asking for his head last year, but after taking a deep breath and looking back... he wasn't 'reliable', no not at all. like GHH said I'm still hiding behind my hands or looking at the ground praying ala Gibbs. We kept games close last year and gano was given a lot of game winning/tying opportunities. He made makeable FGs and missed some too.

However, "clutch" means you do it when it's all on the line. You don't feel the pressure. I would have to say, he made the ones in those situations. You have to remember vs Tampa he had no chance at the kick, it was 0% his fault. Other than that, his kickoffs are awesome and I like him.

---------- Post added August-28th-2011 at 09:05 PM ----------

choked in the tampa game hard. choked in houston game. are you serious?

I guess I don't remember..he missed a gimme early in that game? That may suck but it's not the definition of 'clutch'.

As for Houston I think it was a long 40 yarder that he missed? Nonetheless, the problem there was the D allowing a big comeback and a successful hail mary to Andre Johnson. If you still want to use that to label him non-clutch it would be your only example.

i dont know but it looks like shayne graham could become the cowboys kicker and why do i feel like that could be bad news for us

Bwahahahahahahaha! I have no idea why you would think that would be bad news for us. That dude straight up... well... sucks. He was kicking 29 yard line drives into the tunnel while he was there. Families with tickets on the 50 yard line were hiding their kids in fear of getting hit by one of his "field goals". No worries, man.

i dont know but it looks like shayne graham could become the cowboys kicker and why do i feel like that could be bad news for us

would you rather have had us hold onto the guy who shanks two makeable kicks when our guy is sending them straight and true and kicking it through the endzone?

dallas signed suish too iirc, and i don't see him down there anymore.

Was my next birthday better than my last?

---------- Post added August-29th-2011 at 01:13 AM ----------

I have a hunch they want our ST playbook more than his leg.

He is just now establishing himself as a relevent NFL kicker in the 2011 preseason. Let's hold off on calling him clutch at the moment. But he certainly looks like he's improved tenfold.

This.

No way he is clutch yet. In the TENN game, he missed as time expired in regulation, prior to TENN self-destructing in OT.

But, he looks improved in preseason - Hopefully that continues into the season. I can't help but think he'll miss the first meaningful kick in the regular season. When that fear passes me, I might relax a bit more :ols:

He's definately not a 'clutch' kicker yet. He's young and he does have great leg strength, if he can get his head right, he could be real good.

Shanny seems to believe in him, so I'm backing him for now, but if he misses a few <40yd kicks early on, the pressure will be on. Kicking is a ruthless business.

I guess I don't remember..he missed a gimme early in that game? That may suck but it's not the definition of 'clutch'.

As for Houston I think it was a long 40 yarder that he missed? Nonetheless, the problem there was the D allowing a big comeback and a successful hail mary to Andre Johnson. If you still want to use that to label him non-clutch it would be your only example.

He was 1/3 on FGs not including the PAT (which wasn't his fault).

Didn't he lead the league in game winning FGs?

But he missed so many leading up to it, they were only game winners because of his ineptitude. He made his own clutch situations by missing so many prior to the game winners. And I think at least one of those games, he had two shots at it. I think it was the Tennessee game, but didn't he miss one at the end of regulation sending it to overtme where he hit it the second time? He missed one to win in OT against the Texans as I recall as well. He missed so many kicks either preventing us from winning outright or allowing the other team to stay in the game.

Looking at his kicking splits, he was 5-9 in the 4th quarter, but 3-4 in overtime. So yeah, he had some game winners, but in total game winning situations, he was probably average, at best.

Archived