Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Fantasy Football 2011 Discussion

ACW

Zoony,

Don't ban me for this but I'm confused about some of your moves here. Overall I don't hate this draft but some of it is a headscratcher to me...my thoughts and concerns

good lord man why would I ban you ?

QB - Schaub in the 4th? idk if I like that. Are you high on him or just reacting to a run on QB's? And deciding not to take a backup until your 13th pick and grabbing Cam Newton, not sure I like that at all. Who's availible on your WW? If Fitzpatrick is there I'd switch them out unless you have a good feeling about Cam this season

I got some similar feedback, I'm unsure why folks are so down on Schaub. He's still got the top WR in the league and he's still running a prolific offense.

The Texans still have a dog-**** defense that I fully expect to surrender a ton of points. Look for the Texans to be playing from behind most of the season- a recipe for lots of QB stats in garbage time.

RB's - Like the MJD pick but don't understand the Ronnie Brown pick. That's McCoys handcuff, while you could swing a trade with McCoy's owner here I think one move I'd suggest you make here is to grab Deji Karim, MJD's backup. RB could produce for you later this year but doubt he's much of a factor the first half of the season. AB as a RB2 is solid. Bush as RB3 is your flex play each and every week imo. LT I think won't crack your lineup at all. He's a shell of his former self and not going to be integrated as much in the lineup this year as last. He's a typical player I see people draft chasing last years numbers. Unless you see something early from him I'd look to help yourself out at the RB4 position and make a change there. This is old school drafting, strong RB's, and over all I like what you did here

Both Ronnie Brown and LT were taken in garbage time. I think both these guys still have some upside... at least more upside than anyone who was still left at this time. At least they'll see the field. I was targeting Arian Foster's backup (can't rem name) and Michael Bush but they went 1-2 just before I picked there. Oh well.

I could see Ronnie Brown running a lot of wildcat this year. And I'm not sold on McCoy's ability to last a season.

WR's - Megatron/Maclin is solid. Way too many people under value Maclin. Love you getting him in the 6th. Your rolling the dice here with JJ as your WR3 though. I do like his chances this season though rookie WR's notoriously don't live up to the hype in the rookie years but I think he's a solid WR3. I don't like your WR4 Crabtree very much. He's been injured and the 49ers have a new WR1 in Edwards. Crabtree is on pace to become a bust for them so it's make or break year for him. If he starts off slowly I think you can switch him out without any heartache

Oddly enough, I wasn't too happy with Maclin. I had him last year, he was way too inconsistent. The type of guy that drives you crazy because you just know the week you finally bench him is the week he puts up 30 fantasy points.

Crabtree had 800 yards and 7 TD's last year, and still has plenty of upside. But, we'll see, he was a late round pick.

Again, this was a 12 man league with knowledgeable participants. Not a lot of value in those late rounds

Defense - I'm skeptical of just rolling with the Lions as your Defense. I think if you paired them with say Denvers defense who I suspect is still on your WW, you'd be in much better shape

I admit, this was a reach. I have a mancrush on Suh, what can I say. I think he will singlehandedly cause 16 turnovers this year.

My opening day roster... Anyone have any changes they would make?

It's a 12 team league, No PPR, And we're using DL, LB, DB this year (not sure I like this but we shall see)

Anyone see something I should change? I'm thinking of maybe throwing the Cards D in since they're playing the Panthers.

QB - Kyle Orton (Oakland)

RB - Jamaal Charles (Bills)

RB - Shonn Greene (Cowboys)

RB/WR - Tim Hightower (Giants)

WR - Calvin Johnson (Bucs)

WR - Greg Jennings (Saints)

TE - Jason Witten (Jets)

LB - Chad Greenway (Chargers)

DL - Ryan Kerrigan (ESPN has him listed as a DE) (Giants)

DB - Troy Polamalu (Ravens)

D/ST- Jets (Cowboys)

K - Graham Gano (Giants)

Bench:

QB - Ben Roethlesberger (Ravens)

CB - Deangelo Hall (Giants)

D/ST - Cardinals (Panthers)

TE - Heath Miller (Ravens)

RB - CJ Spiller (Chiefs)

RB - Roy Helu (Giants)

WR - Jacoby Ford (Broncos)

Grant is the choice FT, don't over think it

Collie with Collins is completely unknown, I personally have to see it to believe it

Grants in a dogfight to keep JS at bay and for at least this week he's got the start

If he wants it next week he's got to produce and I think Grant could surprise, but by the middle of the season he gives it over the JS

So not a good long term answer imo but for this week it's the only answer

Grant is the choice FT, don't over think it

Collie with Collins is completely unknown, I personally have to see it to believe it

Grants in a dogfight to keep JS at bay and for at least this week he's got the start

If he wants it next week he's got to produce and I think Grant could surprise, but by the middle of the season he gives it over the JS

So not a good long term answer imo but for this week it's the only answer

I put Grant in right away but then I'm reading about how Driver is dealing with injuries and how the game with N.O. will be a shootout, etc. and Nelson started creeping in my mind. I agree with you on Collie though, I'm not trusting him until 1) he proves he will still be productive with Collins or 2) Manning comes back.

I'll probably just trust my initial instinct and stick with Grant.

good lord man why would I ban you ?

I was joking bro :)

After all the love your squad got my "different" outlook needed an opening

And to be honest for a 12 team draft there was some I liked, and some I didn't

Either way hope you kick butt this year

I got some similar feedback, I'm unsure why folks are so down on Schaub. He's still got the top WR in the league and he's still running a prolific offense.

The Texans still have a dog-**** defense that I fully expect to surrender a ton of points. Look for the Texans to be playing from behind most of the season- a recipe for lots of QB stats in garbage time.

We have a different opinion on that team

For one I don't think the Defense is as crappy as you do

Two this pick at 4 comes down to this for me...what QB's were already selected before you took him?

If there was a run on them and these guys were already gone - Vick, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers - Then it makes sense

If they weren't you could have helped your WR core and turned MS in the 5th

Really comes down to me to who was taken already

I consider MS and Romo sits to pee the same, after the top tier of QB's or QB2's and I don't reach for them at the valuable 4 hole unless Im pressed and he's not worth that to me

This was a good chance for you to go QBBC and matchup two of them with great schedules and get them late

I like to do that personally much more then drafting a QB early like this

Both Ronnie Brown and LT were taken in garbage time. I think both these guys still have some upside... at least more upside than anyone who was still left at this time. At least they'll see the field. I was targeting Arian Foster's backup (can't rem name) and Michael Bush but they went 1-2 just before I picked there. Oh well.

I could see Ronnie Brown running a lot of wildcat this year. And I'm not sold on McCoy's ability to last a season.

McCoy's backup is valuable but not as much as MJD's backup would be to your team

If I was in this league and had McCoy I'd look at this mistake and grab MJD's backup and offer you a trade

If you decline not a problem, if you happen to lose MJD at some point its going to cost you a lot more for the backup then the other backup

This is why handcuffs are very important to specific teams, your wasting a roster spot having RB until an injury occurs

But as a RB5, having MJD's backup is way more valuable to this team

Oddly enough, I wasn't too happy with Maclin. I had him last year, he was way too inconsistent. The type of guy that drives you crazy because you just know the week you finally bench him is the week he puts up 30 fantasy points.

The leading receiver for the Eagles last year was JM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9283/gamelog

Yes he put up stinkers in 4 of the weeks but in every other he was at least in standard leagues scoring you 7 points a game

Shame you don't like him but I hope for your sake every weeks like these

Week 6 - 159 yards, 2 TDs

Same 12-person league as Zoony. I had the ninth pick.

Deeply uncertain about my first pick, but I thought the draft was 15 minutes later and was caught unawares. :ols:

1. (9) Darren McFadden RB

2. (16) Roddy White WR

3. (33) Peyton Hillis RB

4. (40) Reggie Wayne WR

5. (57) Cedric Benson RB

6. (64) Vernon Davis TE

7. (81) Sidney Rice WR

8. (88) Pierre Thomas RB

9. (105) Mike Thomas WR

10. (112) Kevin Kolb QB

11. (129) Malcom Floyd WR

12. (136) Hines Ward WR

13. (153) Javon Ringer RB

14. (160) San Diego DEF

15. (177) Neil Rackers K

Probably could have waited on Kolb.

Well I'll post mine as well (drafted in 3rd position) and you can get more of a feel of how our draft went.

1. (3) Arian Foster RB

2. (22) LeGarrette Blount RB

3. (27) Philip Rivers QB

4. (46) Dez Bryant WR

5. (51) Marques Colston WR

6. (70) Ryan Grant RB

7. (75) Jason Witten TE

8. (94) Brandon Jacobs RB

9. (99) Johnny Knox WR

10. (118) NYJ DST

11. (123) Nate Kaeding K

12. (142) Jay Cutler QB

13. (147) Nate Burleson WR

14. (166) Ricky Williams RB

15. (171) Mike Williams WR

my team, in a 10 team league

with bizzarre scoring (only points matter, no yards nor receptions nor fumbles, etc.... but you DO get extra points for LONG tds (or fgs) or for "scoring out of position (a RB catching a td pass scores double),

huge keeper factor (able to keep 8 players),

but only allowed to make 3 moves a year other than draft and IR replacements

Vick, Michael QB PHI

Blount, LeGarrette RB TB

Forte, Matt RB CHI

Jackson, Vincent WR SD

Johnson, Andre WR HOU

Witten, Jason TE DAL

Brown, Josh K STL

Steelers DST

bench

Cutler, Jay QB CHI

Jones, Felix RB DAL

Spiller, C.J. RB BUF

Crabtree, Michael WR SF

Sims-Walker, Mike WR STL

Cooley, Chris TE WAS

Bironas, Rob K TEN

Cowboys DST

with bizzarre scoring (only points matter, no yards nor receptions nor fumbles, etc.... but you DO get extra points for LONG tds (or fgs) or for "scoring out of position (a RB catching a td pass scores double),

Vick, Michael QB PHI

Blount, LeGarrette RB TB

Forte, Matt RB CHI

Jackson, Vincent WR SD

Johnson, Andre WR HOU

Witten, Jason TE DAL

Brown, Josh K STL

Steelers DST

bench

Cutler, Jay QB CHI

Jones, Felix RB DAL

Spiller, C.J. RB BUF

Crabtree, Michael WR SF

Sims-Walker, Mike WR STL

Cooley, Chris TE WAS

Bironas, Rob K TEN

Cowboys DST

About 2 too many Cowboys on your team and their Def. I hope you lose every game. Just kidding.

Everyone knows it's Derrick Ward, not Ben Tate right?

What's the thought on Collins? I bet he produces quite a bit.

Ben Tate is the handcuff to own. Ward has very limited upside, while Tate has shown why he was drafted in the 2nd round this preseason. If Foster goes down, Tate is the guy to own.

Deeply uncertain about my first pick, but I thought the draft was 15 minutes later and was caught unawares. :ols:

2. (16) Roddy White WR

3. (33) Peyton Hillis RB

4. (40) Reggie Wayne WR

5. (57) Cedric Benson RB

6. (64) Vernon Davis TE

7. (81) Sidney Rice WR

8. (88) Pierre Thomas RB

9. (105) Mike Thomas WR

10. (112) Kevin Kolb QB

12. (136) Hines Ward WR

14. (160) San Diego DEF

15. (177) Neil Rackers K

Not sold on Benson, especially in the 5th. Word has it he's fighting for playing time.

I would have gone with Antonio Brown over Hines Ward.

Would have gone with more insurance at QB.

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 01:55 PM ----------

Ben Tate is the handcuff to own. Ward has very limited upside, while Tate has shown why he was drafted in the 2nd round this preseason. If Foster goes down, Tate is the guy to own.

Ward is #2 on the chart. That's all I'm saying.

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 01:56 PM ----------

Should I start Mark Sanchez or Drew Brees this week?

Leaning to towards Sanchez..

You have to go with Brees. Don't matchup one of your top 2 players. Never works.

2. (16) Roddy White WR

3. (33) Peyton Hillis RB

4. (40) Reggie Wayne WR

5. (57) Cedric Benson RB

6. (64) Vernon Davis TE

7. (81) Sidney Rice WR

8. (88) Pierre Thomas RB

9. (105) Mike Thomas WR

10. (112) Kevin Kolb QB

12. (136) Hines Ward WR

14. (160) San Diego DEF

15. (177) Neil Rackers K

1st picks is more the fine rest easy

No draft is perfect but as they go your strengths at RB and WR should make up for your lack of a startable QB

You did great in this draft

Personally with no Breaston and a very questionable running game, I'm not huge on Kolb this year

Who's out there on the WW you could pair with Kolb to play matchups?

Vick, Michael QB PHI

Blount, LeGarrette RB TB

Forte, Matt RB CHI

Jackson, Vincent WR SD

Johnson, Andre WR HOU

Witten, Jason TE DAL

Brown, Josh K STL

Steelers DST

bench

Cutler, Jay QB CHI

Jones, Felix RB DAL

Spiller, C.J. RB BUF

Crabtree, Michael WR SF

Sims-Walker, Mike WR STL

Cooley, Chris TE WAS

Bironas, Rob K TEN

Cowboys DST

Great team. You can drop the last three on your bench for waiver pickups whenever you need. I'd even look into trading Bironas later down the line. Cooley, unfortunately is now a dime a dozen.

If Mike Sims-Walker doesn't pan out, WR depth is needed. Crabtree is a bust.

Not sold on Benson, especially in the 5th. Word has it he's fighting for playing time.

In a 12 team league having Benson as a RB3 is a huge plus

As for Benson losing time he's still in line for the bellcow majority of work and has looked better then Scott

"Bernard Scott (hamstring) returned to 11-on-11 drills Tuesday.Yesterday marked the oft-injured Scott's first full team practice in pads of training camp. He's the unquestioned backup to Cedric Benson, but the Bengals have shown a hesitancy to utilize his talents. That doesn't figure to change this year. Aug 17 - 10:11 AM

Source: Bengals.com "

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 01:02 PM ----------

Given the choice I agree with you, rather roster Tate then Ward

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 01:03 PM ----------

Should I start Mark Sanchez or Drew Brees this week?

Leaning to towards Sanchez..

Your overthinking this

Always start your studs

Always

Go with Brees with confidence

What do you guys think about dropping Ringer to pick up Delone Carter in a keeper league? Ringer might have some value if CJ tries to come back up to game speed too quick and messes up a hammy like Revis did when he held out 2-3 years ago. That would give Ringer some value, but how much on a Titans team that is "rebuilding"?

Delone Carter might be the next big thing in Indy. Maybe not this year, but next year with a healthy Peyton, he could be a solid keeper.

I don't have CJ. My RBs are McCoy, Felix Jones, Shonn Green, Ben Tate, Ringer, Demarco Murray. So very little behind my top 3 guys, just a bunch of injury plugs, so a guy that can start this year is valuable to me. Of course, Addai is always reasonably likely to get hurt too.

edit - Felix is not eligible to be kept next season.

Personally with no Breaston and a very questionable running game, I'm not huge on Kolb this year

Yeah ... my hope is with Fitzgerald and Todd Heap, plus ROberts emerging will be enough.

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 02:15 PM ----------

In a 12 team league having Benson as a RB3 is a huge plus

I liked this pick too in the fifth.

Bliz, that depends on your keeper rules

Considering you already have McCoy, Jones, and SG

I think those are better options to keep next year then any RB playing for the Colts

Until Payton retires this will be a passing first offense always

If the choice was "Who has better long term value this season" I do think that DC has it over JR

I expect JA to lose the job to DC at some point this season either by injury or by subpar play from JA

But as for keepers for next season at this time you have three much better options then DC imo

What do you guys think about dropping Ringer to pick up Delone Carter in a keeper league? Ringer might have some value if CJ tries to come back up to game speed too quick and messes up a hammy like Revis did when he held out 2-3 years ago. That would give Ringer some value, but how much on a Titans team that is "rebuilding"?

Delone Carter might be the next big thing in Indy. Maybe not this year, but next year with a healthy Peyton, he could be a solid keeper.

I don't have CJ. My RBs are McCoy, Felix Jones, Shonn Green, Ben Tate, Ringer, Demarco Murray. So very little behind my top 3 guys, just a bunch of injury plugs, so a guy that can start this year is valuable to me. Of course, Addai is always reasonably likely to get hurt too.

If you don't have CJ, then there's really no point in holding onto Ringer. I would drop Ringer to pick up Carter; however, no Indy player is going to be a great fantasy player until Peyton returns, that offense is garbage without #18 under center.

I would recommend trying to pick up RB Kendall Hunter from San Fran instead, at least for this season. Hunter has looked great for SF, and Gore has only played 16 games one time in the last 6 seasons.

I don't see a need to pick up Carter as a keeper because you already have McCoy, Jones, and Greene who should be your keepers for next year. I don't see Carter or even Hunter being in the discussion for being kept over any of the 3 players already named.

Bliz, that depends on your keeper rules

Considering you already have McCoy, Jones, and SG

I think those are better options to keep next year then any RB playing for the Colts

Until Payton retires this will be a passing first offense always

If the choice was "Who has better long term value this season" I do think that DC has it over JR

I expect JA to lose the job to DC at some point this season either by injury or by subpar play from JA

But as for keepers for next season at this time you have three much better options then DC imo

If you don't have CJ, then there's really no point in holding onto Ringer. I would drop Ringer to pick up Carter; however, no Indy player is going to be a great fantasy player until Peyton returns, that offense is garbage without #18 under center.

I would recommend trying to pick up RB Kendall Hunter from San Fran instead, at least for this season. Hunter has looked great for SF, and Gore has only played 16 games one time in the last 6 seasons.

I don't see a need to pick up Carter as a keeper because you already have McCoy, Jones, and Greene who should be your keepers for next year. I don't see Carter or even Hunter being in the discussion for being kept over any of the 3 players already named.

Thanks guys. I wouldn't be able to keep Felix next year because of our rules. You get 3 guys, and only players drafted in the 4th and beyond can be kept (costing you 1 round earlier than they were picked the prior year). Luckily I drafted McCoy a few years ago, when he went in as Westbrook's backup. I will have several other options for next year, but you never know. End of the season last year I expected to be keeping Torain this season :)

Thanks guys. I wouldn't be able to keep Felix next year because of our rules. You get 3 guys, and only players drafted in the 4th and beyond can be kept (costing you 1 round earlier than they were picked the prior year). Luckily I drafted McCoy a few years ago, when he went in as Westbrook's backup. I will have several other options for next year, but you never know. End of the season last year I expected to be keeping Torain this season :)

With BT and DM if you added DC to that group your in great shape

You could then roster them all and whichever if any turns in a good season you keep the best one

Or if they all suck then you keep none of them

With CJ just signing that deal he's going nowhere and I don't think JR would even be a consideration without a Bo Jackson type injury to CJ this season

I'd do it

Archived