Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Park: Quotes - Mike Shanahan

Mark The Homer

August 27, 2011

Redskins Park

Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan

On the injury to defensive end Jarvis Jenkins:

“It’s always tough. You have a hard time focusing on the game when something like that occurs so early in the game. He’s going to be an excellent player in the NFL. [He’s] everything you look for in a person and everything you look for as a football player. It always hurts to lose a potential great player like that… Things like that happen in the NFL and guys get an opportunity to replace. It’s always hard to replace one of those big guys because it’s hard to find them on the street.”

On defensive end Adam Carriker returning to practice:

“Carriker practiced today. Hopefully, there is no set back and he’ll be able to go against Tampa.”

On running back Ryan Torain’s status for the game against Tampa Bay:

“Torain will be able to go. He practiced today as well.”

On the injury status of safety LaRon Landry:

“LaRon did not practice. We’ll evaluate that hamstring day-by-day. You sure would like him to be able to play in that last preseason game to get some reps, especially when he missed the second half of the season. Does he have to? No, but it would sure help.”

On if he’s been in a situation where he didn’t know who the starting quarterback was going to be heading into the final preseason game:

“It’s never happened to me. It’s happened to be a number of times when guys were fighting for a position at the quarterback position. I don’t think that’s the question. The main thing is, can guys play? We have two football players that can play. [John Beck and Rex Grossman] have gone out and played well in some crucial situations when they’ve had a lot of pressure against three pretty good football teams. That’s what you want to see. You want to see if the players, when given the opportunity, can go out and prove to their teammates that they can play and play at a very high level. I think they’ve done that, which is very positive. Everyone wants to isolate who’s the guy, but we have two football players that can play and our football team knows it.”

On if the starters will play more than usual in the game against Tampa Bay:

“This is a lot more unusual than most years going into the fourth preseason game because of the lockout, the evaluation of young players and the evaluation for some of the players that are fighting for a position. Normally, this week, you’ve lost 10-15 guys. We still have the 90 guys all the way through our Tuesday practice, which is normally like a Friday practice. That gives us the opportunity to not overwork players, but they will get a lot of reps.”

On offensive lineman Maurice Hurt’s injury:

“His knee was bothering him a little bit. It was a little too sore to practice today, but he should be able to go Monday.”

On the status of linebacker Edgar Jones:

“Edgar should be able to practice tomorrow or maybe Monday.”

On wide receiver Brandon Banks’ injury:

“Banks looked better and I think he will be able to go tomorrow. Hopefully, when he tests his knee, it won’t swell up again. He looks like he’s a go for this game against Tampa.”

On if he’s happy with the team’s progress to this point:

“We’ve done a good job overall as a football team. People are working extremely hard and are very diligent in what they do. I see progress made every week. You’re going to have mistakes in preseason games, but, hopefully, you learn from those mistakes and I think we have and we’ll continue to do so.”

On the progression in the offensive line:

“The players know what to expect and they are kind of familiar with the terminology. They are more familiar with each other. The coaches have a year to make sure we’re all on the same page. I’d say the big jump is usually your first year to your second year with your system in general.”

On the touchdown run by running back Tim Hightower:

“A touchdown run in the NFL is not easy. The wide receivers have to be blocking. Those big plays are a combination of everybody working together. The backside formation has to really be in tune. Staying with your blocks is important.”

On the injury status of wide receiver Malcolm Kelly:

“I would say it doesn’t look good. He’s still a little bit sore.”

On the timetable for safety Kareem Moore’s return:

“I really don’t know about Kareem. He’s getting better. I want him at a certain level so he can play in a game. He’s such a competitor, he wants to practice, and he wants to play. Until he’s close to 100 percent I don’t want to put him in that situation.”

On the decision-making process for injured players to return:

“When you’re on PUP, you ask the guys when they feel they’re 100 percent or close to it. Giving them more time is what it amounts to.”

On the reliability of wide receiver Terrence Austin:

“Terrence, like a lot of young players get a better feel of the system, they get a better feel of coverages and learn a better feel of running routes. He’s a little undersized, but you can’t tell by the way he plays. I’m very pleased with his play.”

eshead9sjpg.jpg

On if he’s been in a situation where he didn’t know who the starting quarterback was going to be heading into the final preseason game:

“It’s never happened to me. It’s happened to be a number of times when guys were fighting for a position at the quarterback position. I don’t think that’s the question. The main thing is, can guys play? We have two football players that can play. [John Beck and Rex Grossman] have gone out and played well in some crucial situations when they’ve had a lot of pressure against three pretty good football teams. That’s what you want to see. You want to see if the players, when given the opportunity, can go out and prove to their teammates that they can play and play at a very high level. I think they’ve done that, which is very positive. Everyone wants to isolate who’s the guy, but we have two football players that can play and our football team knows it.”

Shanny mentions John Beck first. I will take that as he will be the starter. JMO

On if the starters will play more than usual in the game against Tampa Bay:

“This is a lot more unusual than most years going into the fourth preseason game because of the lockout, the evaluation of young players and the evaluation for some of the players that are fighting for a position. Normally, this week, you’ve lost 10-15 guys. We still have the 90 guys all the way through our Tuesday practice, which is normally like a Friday practice. That gives us the opportunity to not overwork players, but they will get a lot of reps.”

I believe he will play the starters the 1st quarter, then they rest.

On the injury status of wide receiver Malcolm Kelly:

“I would say it doesn’t look good. He’s still a little bit sore.”

MK will be in the 1st cuts. JMO

On the timetable for safety Kareem Moore’s return:

“I really don’t know about Kareem. He’s getting better. I want him at a certain level so he can play in a game. He’s such a competitor, he wants to practice, and he wants to play. Until he’s close to 100 percent I don’t want to put him in that situation.”

KM will be cut before the season starts.

On the reliability of wide receiver Terrence Austin:

“Terrence, like a lot of young players get a better feel of the system, they get a better feel of coverages and learn a better feel of running routes. He’s a little undersized, but you can’t tell by the way he plays. I’m very pleased with his play.”

TA makes the roster and contributes.

I take this as kind of a: Yeah, TA is a little small, but Banks is a heck of a lot smaller. *shrug* I've been wrong before :)

Austin seems a lot bigger than he actually is.

It was also interesting when he responded to the question which suggested we had been rebuilding. He countered by saying that he has never suggested that we were rebuilding. That was a term people use to defend losing. You always think that you can win. Thought that was interesting, given the amount of discussion on here about the rebuild / win-now approach.

Also

- Austin has done a great job this pre-season. Mike has a serious man-crush on the guy :ols:

- I think we'll pick up a vet 3-4 DE when teams start making cuts. He didn't convince me with his ' we have depth at that position' answer.

With all the injuries, I think we pick up a safety before DE.

Nah, I think we are set at safety. Landry, Atogwe, Doughty and for me Gomes. Moore is headed to PUP and maybe even IR so Gomes gets 6 weeks to state his case for that roster spot IMO.

think we are scanning the waiver wire for backup T G and DE candidates.

Nah, I think we are set at safety. Landry, Atogwe, Doughty and for me Gomes. Moore is headed to PUP and maybe even IR so Gomes gets 6 weeks to state his case for that roster spot IMO.

think we are scanning the waiver wire for backup T G and DE candidates.

I think Russell makes it before Doughty, but that's just me.

IMO Russell is a better option than Doughty.

Hehe, yes we noticed. Any reason why? I thought Russell was a FS, but like Gomes, he may play both spots some.

Like others, I think its Doughty as well. At least Doughty made that one play on the reverse against the Ravens. I haven't seen Russell do very much at all. (At least he's not showing up in a bad way like Horton)

I'll take Gomes over all three, though. I think the coaching staff has been pretty clear about how they feel about Doughty. He'll be on the team, at least for one more year. Actually, at SS, he's not even bad.

Hehe, yes we noticed. Any reason why? I thought Russell was a FS, but like Gomes, he may play both spots some.

Like others, I think its Doughty as well. At least Doughty made that one play on the reverse against the Ravens. I haven't seen Russell do very much at all. (At least he's not showing up in a bad way like Horton)

I'll take Gomes over both, though. I think the coaching staff has been pretty clear about how they feel about Doughty. He'll be on the team, at least for one more year. Actually, at SS, he's not even bad.

Gomes is as close to a lock as one can be, I think.

Russell is more athletic than Doughty, he can play both positions, and he is a much better coverage safety than Doughty. Doughty is a good run stopper and in-the-box safety, but I think Haslett and Shanny want safeties who can be both in the box and deep coverage. I don't think anyone wants to see Doughty in coverage anymore.

Gomes is as close to a lock as one can be, I think.

Russell is more athletic than Doughty, he can play both positions, and he is a much better coverage safety than Doughty. Doughty is a good run stopper and in-the-box safety, but I think Haslett and Shanny want safeties who can be both in the box and deep coverage. I don't think anyone wants to see Doughty in coverage anymore.

Yeah, I figured it was about poor coverage/athleticism with Reed. Shanahan said a few things when he was signed a few weeks back that make me think he won't be cut. I'll see if I can find the thread.

It was in an interview with Mike after he was signed. Proving difficult to find, though. He basically said not every player could be a star, and that you need players like Reed Doughty to win a championship.

I'm paraphrasing, but I'd be surprised if they cut him this year. Not that I'd mind very much either way.

Archived