Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your most impressive player from the Ravens game...

mojo

So how does our WR depth look?

1. Moss

2. Gaffney

3. Armstrong

4. Hankerson/Austin

5. Austin/Hankerson

6. Paul?

I think, just thanks to his size, Hankerson has the 4 spot locked up, but Austin is making a strong play. He'll definitely be on the roster.

Depending on how fast Austin is, he could push Armstrong.

I'd really like to see Paul get some more playing time to see what he can do.

Unless the rules have changed with the new CBA, Banks cannot be put on the reserve PUP list when the season starts. It's IR or active roster (53) or waived. I think those are the only 3 choices.

Not sure what "rules" you're talking about. The rules have been that Banks can be put on the reserve PUP list at the end of the preseason. He then sits for 6 weeks, at the end of which the team has to make a choice to put him on the 53 or IR.

"At the end of preseason, if an Active PUP player is still several weeks away from being able to play, the team may place him on Reserve PUP.

Reserve PUP players are not eligible to play for the first six weeks of the season.

Reserve PUP players do not count against the 53 man roster.

Reserve PUP players have a three week window after Week 6 to practice with the team but a roster decision must be made, either to activate to the 53 or to IR the player, within that timeframe."

Continue reading on Examiner.com Clarifying NFL rules on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/clarifying-nfl-rules-on-the-physically-unable-to-perform-pup-list#ixzz1W9DJ6Nvf

I think that's more a function of him being a rookie. If it continues throughout the season, then it's a problem.

I'm about sure that its certainly is a function of being a rookie. I'm confident that he's a smart enough kid to fix it. Hopefully this doesn't linger far into the reg season.

I'm about sure that its certainly is a function of being a rookie. I'm confident that he's a smart enough kid to fix it. Hopefully this doesn't linger far into the reg season.

True, although I'd like to see him fail alot this season. He's the kind of guy that will work hard to learn from his mistakes. Then by 2012, he'll be ready to be a solid leader on the D for years to come.

Edit: I also thought Brandyn Thompson had another good game. I'm going to go back and rewatch the game tonight to get a closer look but the couple of times I noticed him he had good coverage.

Interesting. I've got really high hopes for Thompson. He was a big time ballhawk in college and I like his fit for our defense. I really hope he makes the team. I'd definitely be interested to read your observations of him.

---------- Post added August-26th-2011 at 11:44 AM ----------

So how does our WR depth look?

1. Moss

2. Gaffney

3. Armstrong

4. Hankerson/Austin

5. Austin/Hankerson

6. Paul?

I think, just thanks to his size, Hankerson has the 4 spot locked up, but Austin is making a strong play. He'll definitely be on the roster.

That makes sense to me but I'm still not certain we'll carry six receivers.

If you think about it though, Gaffney hasn't done a whole lot to justify a starting spot.

I also hate to lose Aldrick Robinson over a few misplayed punts. I hope we'd be able to stash him on the PS, he's a huge talent.

It also sucks to have to lose Brandon Banks but c'est la vie. You can't keep a one trick pony over better all around players. Paul and Austin can run punt returns too.

That makes sense to me but I'm still not certain we'll carry six receivers.

I'm not 100% on that list either, but if we carry six, I think it'll be those guys

If you think about it though, Gaffney hasn't done a whole lot to justify a starting spot.

He's had a couple nice grabs, and who would be in the #2 spot? With the new loadout of receivers, Armstrong looks more like a #3/slot guy (I know they're not the same, but I think that's how it would play out) than a #2 guy. I wouldn't really want two speedy guys in our two receiver sets; personally I would go for a speed (Moss) and a big guy (Hank/Gaffney). So I guess the question is has Hankerson done enough to warrant the #2 spot opposite Moss?

I also hate to lose Aldrick Robinson over a few misplayed punts. I hope we'd be able to stash him on the PS, he's a huge talent.

I think that's where he'll end up. Those muffed punts lower his stock for other teams, but Shanny knows what he's capable of. If he goes to the practice squad, look for good things in the future.

It also sucks to have to lose Brandon Banks but c'est la vie. You can't keep a one trick pony over better all around players. Paul and Austin can run punt returns too.

I think Banks goes to the IR, just in case for next year. Gives Paul a chance to shine at KR (I think he'll be the primary KR to start the season - he's had a few nice returns)

Not sure what "rules" you're talking about. The rules have been that Banks can be put on the reserve PUP list at the end of the preseason. He then sits for 6 weeks, at the end of which the team has to make a choice to put him on the 53 or IR.

"At the end of preseason, if an Active PUP player is still several weeks away from being able to play, the team may place him on Reserve PUP.

Reserve PUP players are not eligible to play for the first six weeks of the season.

Reserve PUP players do not count against the 53 man roster.

Reserve PUP players have a three week window after Week 6 to practice with the team but a roster decision must be made, either to activate to the 53 or to IR the player, within that timeframe."

Continue reading on Examiner.com Clarifying NFL rules on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/clarifying-nfl-rules-on-the-physically-unable-to-perform-pup-list#ixzz1W9DJ6Nvf

I'm no expert, but you have to be on the active PUP. Banks is not. The fact he has practiced and is on the active roster (only Landry and Moore on the PUP), prevents Banks from being on the PUP. Its IR or active roster or cut.

I'm no expert, but you have to be on the active PUP. Banks is not. The fact he has practiced and is on the active roster (only Landry and Moore on the PUP), prevents Banks from being on the PUP. Its IR or active roster or cut.

I don't think that is right. You can get put on the PUP list anytime during preseason I beleive. Not saying Banks is currently on that but he is eligible to be added to it during the preseason.

He is not on the active PUP now, therefore he cannot be on the reserve PUP when the season starts. PUP is not an option for Banks.

It would have to be IR or the active roster or he gets cut (hopefully not that)

---------- Post added August-26th-2011 at 02:32 PM ----------

I don't think that is right. You can get put on the PUP list anytime during preseason I beleive. Not saying Banks is currently on that but he is eligible to be added to it during the preseason.

He can't be put on the active PUP list because he practiced at least once in camp.

And because he's not on the active PUP list, he can't be on the reserve PUP list either.

A couple of players stood out for me.

1/ Terrence Austin. It would be insane to keep this guy off the field. Our WRs look talented, and explosive. IF we keep 6, I hope its Santana, Jabbar, Anthony, Leonard, Niles and Terrence. Bank goes on IR or the Practice Squad.

2/ Hightower. There is no debate the guy is talented, and fits Shanny's run scheme. He, Helu, Royster make a good 1-2-3 punch.

3/ Kevin Barnes. He has been having a great camp. He played really well against the Ravens.

4/ Scott. Hate to see Jarvis get injured. But, Scott rocked in the game.

Cheers!

He is not on the active PUP now, therefore he cannot be on the reserve PUP when the season starts. PUP is not an option for Banks.

It would have to be IR or the active roster or he gets cut (hopefully not that)

I stand corrected. I missed the line about players having to go from active PUP to reserve PUP. Thanks for the correction.

I agree, I hope Banks gets put on IR because I really don't think the team is going to keep him on the 53 for a month or two, inactive. It's not a complete impossibility, but not likely either.

You are correct. This is why Kelly was IRed and not PUPed last season.

I agree. He looked like he made some good plays. All him or the guys around him?

I really want to see the replay of this game so I can watch how Scott did 1-on-1.

From what I saw some were just him, and then some were a product of the a collective effort.

Add 1 more.

5/ Thompson. He too did a good job, and if can play special teams should find a spot on the roster.

One guy that seemed to have a really good game was undrafted rookie safety Davonte Shannon, #36 on defense. He looked like he was always around the ball in the running game, making good tackles and getting in the backfield. I honestly don't remember when we signed him, and I don't think he's played until this game, but he looked good.

I went to college with him and I kept an extra close eye on him so I wasn't sure if I was just seeing him more than I should have, but I was happy he got some playing time this game. Its a tough shot to get in at a Safety spot this year, but I'm rooting for him.

at UB he was always around the ball, one of those guys who just seems to know how to make plays.

Archived