Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Mike Doesn’t Give a Rat’s Ass About Your Bandwagon Opinion on John Beck

Oldfan

If Grossman starts it will only prove that Beck couldn't handle the pressure, a factor which was never predictable

If Beck starts it will only prove that Grossman couldn't handle the pressure, a factor which was never predictable.

This is a strawman. I'm not devaluing the bandwagon opinions on QBs because they aren't professional. I'm devaluing them because they cannot separate the QB from his support system. You don't have to be a pro to see the sense in that.

Most fans can separate the QB from his support system without pretending like a QB isn't a significant part of that support system.

I'm not talking about bandwagon fans. I'm talking about bandwagon opinions.

Yes, I'm well-aware of the phenomenon better known as "group think." But you're seriously suggesting that people who doubt Beck's potential and favor a QB who has played in the "system" for three years and led his team to a SB and is only a few years older than Beck are projecting group think?

---------- Post added August-17th-2011 at 04:12 PM ----------

:applause:

Can't find a single point to disagree on here, well done!

So you're on the OP's bandwagon?

Nice post, but the major difference between Beck and those QBs is that he started only 5 games within 4 years with 3 different teams (1TD 3INT, 56%). Unfortunately I see him more like he is the exception that proves the rule.

He's just saying Shanny doesn't give a crap what we think about this QB "controversy."

Really? Darn. I was always under the impression that he cared deeply about what we posted here, and would in fact set aside a few hours per day to read our posts. So, you mean, like, a head NFL football coach doesn't care what we message board posters think? Shocking revelation!

I am not arguing that. But OF is not talking about teams.

He is talking about opinions. You are trying to change his statement and turning it into something that has no relevance to his post.

And this thread ironically proves that the term doesn't hold very much weight here, considering the amount of people who support his claims.

Nice post, but the major difference between Beck and those QBs is that he started only 5 games within 4 years with 3 different teams (1TD 3INT, 56%). Unfortunately I see him more like he is the exception that proves the rule.
There aren't many coaches in the NFL who really know QBs and have the balls to give a guy like John Beck a real opportunity.

OBTH, the OP isn't really saying that Beck will start and succeed. He's saying that Shanahan has confidence in his assessment of QBs regardless of public opinion due to the numerous success stories he's been associated with. You can apply similar logic to Rex Grossman if he's successful as well.

I never said that's what he said and I don't think most people really believe that a HC should make decisions based on "popular opinion." Who actually believes that?

3) Why do people continue to misuse the term "bandwagon"? A "bandwagon" fan is someone who switches teams left and right. A bandwagon fan is not someone who simply disagrees with some aspect of the way his team's run, even though MS has never said that John Beck would be the starter. A bandwagon fan would not stick around long enough to even care about this topic. PSA: please stop misusing this term.

cFqTWQRw6UY

:ols:

As I recall, Shanahan said Beck is capable of being the starter, and that he has confidence in him. Regardless, I hope Shanahan doesn't care what fans think of the QB competition between Beck and Grossman. Anyways, I'm pretty much expecting Grossman to be the starter week 1.

There aren't many coaches in the NFL who really know QBs and have the balls to give a guy like John Beck a real opportunity.

I do agree, but if Beck doesn't improve, Shanahan's reputation will be in serious jeopardy. I remember the McNabb fiasco, so maybe he lost it, we will see.

I'm not down on Rex. I just don't think he has Beck's potential.

In Mike's shoes, Beck would have to look bad for Rex to win this competition in my judgment.

Why? what have you seen of Beck, specifically, to make you think he has a higher upside?

Are you softening up a little Oldfan :)

I am adamant when I say that Rex will be starting come Week 1. Mike gave the go to McNabb against Kyle's wishes so I do not see Mike doing that to his son again this season.

Remember, Rex was recruited by Kyle and even if all of the hoopla has been about Beck... Kyle has just as much say in this as Mike.

I really would'nt want a coach that took fans opinions into consideration when doing what is best for the team, would you?

---------- Post added August-17th-2011 at 12:40 PM ----------

I do agree, but if Beck doesn't improve, Shanahan's reputation will be in serious jeopardy. I remember the McNabb fiasco, so maybe he lost it, we will see.

If you remember correctly when he gave Beck all that boost Grossman was not in camp and negotiating a contract, one he wanted to be paid like a starter to boot. He however took the contract given him and now has just as much of a chance to start as Beck. My guess is Grossman bests Beck and starts.

Really? Darn. I was always under the impression that he cared deeply about what we posted here, and would in fact set aside a few hours per day to read our posts. So, you mean, like, a head NFL football coach doesn't care what we message board posters think? Shocking revelation!

Hey OBTH. Don't know why you took offense to my reply or what your problem with OF's posts (and I assume other threads) is, but chill out willya? I was just saying that bumping this if Rex starts (which actually is pretty likely) doesn't refute the point of the OP. No need to hang me me out like I'm some cheese-eating high school boy. Sheesh.

Why? what have you seen of Beck, specifically, to make you think he has a higher upside?
I've seen enough of Rex under pressure to form the opinion that his potential is limited to a #2. And, I've seen the same things from Beck to agree on the tangibles that impressed Kyle, Jaws and Mike. The tangibles check out from my POV.

I agree that the bandwagon doesn't know what they are talking about or what to look for and neither do most of the guys in the media. Take for example Merril Hodge and his evaluation of Tim Tebow. What does Merril Hodge know about QB's? He played RB for the Steelers. So how can he evaluate QB's? He listens to all these ex-Qb's like Jaworski and draft analyst like Kiper. Who do you trust more? Mike Shanahan who evaluates and coaches QB's or someone who played the game? I trust Shanahan because his track record proves that. I don't trust ex-QB's like Jaworski who never won the big game or were that successful.

I've seen enough of Rex under pressure to form the opinion that his potential is limited to a #2. And, I've seen the same things from Beck to agree on the tangibles that impressed Kyle, Jaws and Mike. The tangibles check out.

You also said that given the circumstances, Marc Bulger could've had the same Hall of Fame career that Tom Brady has had, and that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are overrated and don't do anything special and that it's just the system around them.

Yeah, I'd say your scouting skills were shot, sir.

What Beck has that could be called potential:

He's a system QB. He loves to work within the system, make reads, check down etc. He plays within the system and allows the offense to work without forcing it. This is the kind of QB the Shanny's are looking for.

He's more agile than Rex and since our o-line is not setup to straight pass block he fits the scheme the will roll him out al ot and rely on his legs to create time.

He (in coolege) was a very accurate QB

Having said that i ma still eaning towards rex winning the comp. he's gotten better with age at playing in the system, he inspire more confidence in the players around him (my opinion of course), he's a bettr pocket passer. I think we will be frustrated when pass blocking breaks down and rex will fade backward and thow off his back foot. It's that behavior more than anything else that could cost him the starting spot.

I think Shannahan was right to forgo signing or drafting anyone and build the teams from the lines up and build with youth. We shall see the results though.

Archived