Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN 980/Rotoworld: James Davis AWOL

DarrellsMyHero28

How the **** is 19 carries in a season "ample oppurtunity"?

Man, you think you've seen it all.....haha

Let me guess

Your one of those Jason Campbell supporters

Who would say after 50 career starts he didn't get an ample opportunity to show his skills here either?

I would point out to you outside of Ryan Torain our running game last year sucked donkey nuts

And that Torain missed 5 games after rolling off 2 very good outtings with that terrible offensive line

Both of those two games Torain had 100+ yard efforts, with said terrible line

And when Torain was hurt and missed those 5 games we searched desperately for another RB

Which led us to bring up Davis

And gave him more then enough chance to show he could gain yards rushing the football for us

Some of you nuts out there really don't understand that this is a business where if you don't produce you don't get chances

That what these men do on the field will say what happens with them in the future

But if it warms you to think that Davis wasn't given a chance and is just a victim go on and feel that way

You'd be wrong to think that but I'm not convincing you otherwise

Let me guess

Your one of those Jason Campbell supporters

Who would say after 50 career starts he didn't get an ample opportunity to show his skills here either?

You guessed wrong, I always hated JC with a passion. Liked Todd Collins by comparison. Was a big fan of Mark Brunell (when healthy).

But that's neither here nor there, anyways....

You're comparing 50 regular season starts at QB with 19 carries in a season for a HB? Seriously? No, sorry...I'm missing the similarity there.

You could definitely convince me that Davis got a fair shot here, but not with that ridiculous metaphor. You could say that Davis couldn't get on the field because the Shanahans didn't like his passpro, and that he didn't improve enough earn any PT in the preseason over a couple of rookies.

See, I made a case for you. Seems far fetched to me, but it's closer to reality than a JC comparison.

You're as entertaining as usual, addicted. :D

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 04:47 PM ----------

That opportunity includes the substantial amount of time he had to impress his coaches in camps, practices, and preseason games.

Then cut him along with Henson a week ago and let him catch on elsewhere. He obviously didn't impress, so.....

I suppose the end result is the same for us, but it sure does suck for him. Which is why I can understand him losing it.

See, I made a case for you. Seems far fetched to me, but it's closer to reality than a JC comparison.

You're as entertaining as usual, addicted. :D

Let me take a whack at it. Were you mad about the release of Devin Thomas? DT didn't even make it out of PRESEASON with this coaching staff. He got to make a couple special teams plays against the Redskins last year, but that was about it.

James Davis had his chance. You make the most of the chances you get, and if you don't or can't, the rock gets handed to Keiland Williams. Mike Shanahan is a no nonsense kind of guy. If you can't catch on and produce, you're gone. And I LOVE it.

What the hell is up with guys thinking they're the ***** and just walking out. Cortland Finnegan, who's already a nutcase, did it last week because of a contract dispute and now this fool. If he was going to do this, he shouldn't have bothered showing up today or at least turned in his playbook. Guys like this don't deserve the opportunity they've been afforded. Straight up dumb@ss decision. Man up instead on ****ing out like he did. What a LOSER.

Why work your ass off in TC when you aren't getting reps or playing time regardless?

To watch the amazing Evan Royster get 15 carries? No thanks.

Hope he catches on somewhere and is given a legitimate chance to make a roster.

Really?

"Why practice hard in training camp?"

Really?

EDIT - And I was expecting James Davis to get his chance at one of our other preseason games. I told someone earlier he'd probably get to carry the load one game. I'm close to Clemson so I was cheering for him, but forget the guy now. What a dumb move to make on his part.

You guessed wrong, I always hated JC with a passion. Liked Todd Collins by comparison. Was a big fan of Mark Brunell (when healthy).

But that's neither here nor there, anyways....

Well at least we'd agree on something there spaceman

We are miles apart about James Davis

You're comparing 50 regular season starts at QB with 19 carries in a season for a HB? Seriously? No, sorry...I'm missing the similarity there.

You could definitely convince me that Davis got a fair shot here, but not with that ridiculous metaphor. You could say that Davis couldn't get on the field because the Shanahans didn't like his passpro, and that he didn't improve enough earn any PT in the preseason over a couple of rookies.

You're as entertaining as usual, addicted

Like I said I already know that there isn't any convincing going on with you on this topic.

I read your sillyness in the other thread about how you felt Davis got a raw deal...bullspit

Your the poster who said:

I can't say I blame him. Why keep a guy with his talent around if you're not going to give him a shot? But no-burst Royster gets 15 carries....Yeah, gotta say I'm with James Davis on this one.

First of all what's your problem with the rookie? The problem here is you got no sizzle with Davis, you don't have anything good to show for his work here or any arguement about why if he was so talented didn't he do more with the chances he got. In Davis's debut he rushed for an average of less then 2 yards a carry...some burst he;'s got there huh?

Second off how could you even agree or be on the side of this player? He handled this terribly. I have no sympathy for someone who handles crap unprofessionally. Why should the team have released him like your saying? The team doesn't know whats in our future. Royster, Torain, Helu could all get injured in preseason and open a spot for James Davis. Why in the hell do the Redskins owe James Davis a damn thing like a release because after one preseason game he didn't play? Boohooo reality is they don't owe him jack. The team needs to look out for itself. Not some sorry excuse of a human being who would go AWOL after screaming at coaches because they aren't "giving him a shot". Earn it, don't cry because you didn't earn it.

The ROTOWORLD report on Davis before all this said

"Redskins RB James Davis' pass-blocking skills "left a lot to be desired" in a two-game audition late last season....he's now fallen out of favor with two coaching staffs in two years"

"He's fallen out of favor with two different teams in two years"

Before this new news about Davis even surfaced....

What you got here is a dude with a bad attitude who's production doesn't back up his own ego

Davis thinks he is great. Good for him.Davis has "Potential"

Potential without Production = Disappointment and BUST

James Davis = Disappointing Bust at this stage of his career.

After what we've all been through who the hell wants to support that on this team?

Then cut him along with Henson a week ago and let him catch on elsewhere. He obviously didn't impress, so.....

I suppose the end result is the same for us, but it sure does suck for him. Which is why I can understand him losing it.

The problem with that is, this would be the second team that's cut him. Even if we cut him last week, it's unlikely he'd be able to go anywhere and compete to start. At least here, he had a half decent chance of making it as the "fifth string emergency" back guy, maybe someone who could play special teams, or something. The difference between cutting him now and cutting a week ago is pretty much nil, as at this point in camp, teams already have a pretty solid idea of the guys who will and won't make the team.

A guy like Mike Sellers is doing everything he can short of bringing Mike Shanahan coffee to make the football team. Mike doesn't like b**chers and complainers. He says so in his book. You shut up, you show up and go about your work, and you earn everything. You do that, and you'll make it hard for Mike to cut you. You go off on your coaches and storm out of the building and pout like a punk, not only will you end up getting cut, but Mike will likely find a way to make sure you don't end up getting your way. That's just the way he is. Now, the way I'm looking at it, I'm thinking Mike keeps him until preseason in week 4, then plays him and says "show me why I shouldn't cut you."

If James shows up, and blocks, and runs hard, and puts in his work, Mike might still try to find a place for him. If he's average, he'll be gone, and he'll lose his shot to be on another football team. Not that he has much of a shot now (or a week ago) anyway, unless there's an injury somewhere.

Let me take a whack at it. Were you mad about the release of Devin Thomas? DT didn't even make it out of PRESEASON with this coaching staff. He got to make a couple special teams plays against the Redskins last year, but that was about it.

James Davis had his chance. You make the most of the chances you get, and if you don't or can't, the rock gets handed to Keiland Williams. Mike Shanahan is a no nonsense kind of guy. If you can't catch on and produce, you're gone. And I LOVE it.

Nah, I thought Thomas had a few years to prove himself, and was cut for not taking football seriously enough. On the other hand, considering how poorly Joey Galloway played, I think most posters would prefer Thomas to the horror that we were left with.

It's closer than JC's situation regardless, the only thing that bothers me is that Devin Thomas was inherited from the former regime, and Davis was brought in by the current one. I don't guess that really matters though, as we all know Shanahan has brought in a few guys who didn't work out.

I'll settle on Davis not working hard enough to improve his blocking, and that being enough to bench him for inferior, harder working talent. I like this attitude of the FO in general, but it does have it's drawbacks. Drawbacks like Keiland Williams and Joey Galloway. And now Royster.

But you guys do have a point, that's how Mike is, and it isn't going to change. I didn't like it when Henson was cut either, but life goes on.

He's fallen out of favor with two different teams in two years

Dude is a head case with an attitude.

After what we've all been through who the hell wants to support that?

I'm obviously not on this guy's side, but let's not call him a "head case" because he made a mistake. He did something stupid and will probably feel the consequences (I'd fine him immediately if possible).

But I hate to see anybody, especially a younger guy, get labelled as a "head case" that makes him sound mentally unstable just because he made a small mistake.

Just saying.

Nah, I thought Thomas had a few years to prove himself, and was cut for not taking football seriously enough. On the other hand, considering how poorly Joey Galloway played, I think most posters would prefer Thomas to the horror that we were left with.

It's closer than JC's situation regardless, the only thing that bothers me is that Devin Thomas was inherited from the former regime, and Davis was brought in by the current one. I don't guess that really matters though, as we all know Shanahan has brought in a few guys who didn't work out.

I'll settle on Davis not working hard enough to improve his blocking, and that being enough to bench him for inferior, harder working talent. I like this attitude of the FO in general, but it does have it's drawbacks. Drawbacks like Keiland Williams and Joey Galloway. And now Royster.

Now you have a problem with K-Wil?

WHY? Again, another hard worker who was actually productive when he got his opportunity to play, who could block and catch out of the backfield.

And what exactly is your beef with Royster? He's a rookie. Seriously, you keep bringing up Royster like he's some sort of bust or something, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why. He had the same YPC as Hightower and rushed for 66 yards in what amounts to one half of play. Oh yeah. And he blocked.

Is it because Royster isn't flashy? Are you a fan of one of Penn State's rival team? Because I don't understand the problem you have with him.

I mean he was a longshot anyway.

But this hurts his chances in the future getting picked up by another team.

I actually thought that Davis might come along and beat out Royster. But you are right crusher, he hurt his chances most likely in many different ways by doing this.

Why work your ass off in TC when you aren't getting reps or playing time regardless?

To watch the amazing Evan Royster get 15 carries? No thanks.

Hope he catches on somewhere and is given a legitimate chance to make a roster.

I'm preferring to believe you're a friend or relative of his and not simply that clueless. :D

I'm obviously not on this guy's side, but let's not call him a "head case" because he made a mistake. He did something stupid and will probably feel the consequences (I'd fine him immediately if possible).

But I hate to see anybody, especially a younger guy, get labelled as a "head case" that makes him sound mentally unstable just because he made a small mistake.

Just saying.

So you go into your bosses office and yell at him because your not liking how your being used and then storm out of work...would that be a "small mistake" to you if it made the papers?

Come on man

This is a highly competitive job these men are working so hard for

Sure its a game to us, but to them it's a job like what you or I do. You can't act like that in my business without getting at least written up and most likely fired. He can't either. That's not a small mistake, that's a dumb ass thing to do. He should let his production on the field force the coaches to give him another look. Not do this.

You mean all the OTAs that never happened and the one preseason game he didn't get in?

I was lumping his time in Cleveland in with the whole "failure to impress his coaches" thing. Speaking strictly of the Redskins, though, you have a point. IMO, he's still had a pretty decent amount of opportunity to show what he can do.

But you guys do have a point, that's how Mike is, and it isn't going to change. I didn't like it when Henson was cut either, but life goes on.

It's hard to see it now, but Mike Shanahan knows what he's doing. I'm done with sentimental favorites. I want performers. If Royster is terrible 2 years from now, then I want him gone too. But he looked pretty good to me. Helu is the quick guy, and Royster is the bruiser. This is how teams are built.

This really isn't about Shanny giving him a chance, though. Davis walked out. The coaching staff brought in competition, just like every other position on the team, and some players see it as an insult and not as a chance to improve their game.

Maybe they didn't cut him because they were thinking of giving him his chance in another game? Helu didn't get a look with the first team last week, so maybe this week it was going to be Helu and Davis. Now if they'd told him he wasn't going to play in the next game either, then sure, ask to be cut, but don't walk out. There will be teams on the lookout for RBs.

Now you have a problem with K-Wil?

WHY? Again, another hard worker who was actually productive when he got his opportunity to play, who could block and catch out of the backfield.

And what exactly is your beef with Royster? He's a rookie. Seriously, you keep bringing up Royster like he's some sort of bust or something, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why. He had the same YPC as Hightower and rushed for 66 yards in what amounts to one half of play. Oh yeah. And he blocked.

Is it because Royster isn't flashy? Are you a fan of one of Penn State's rival team? Because I don't understand the problem you have with him.

Haha, I suppose I have been overly critical of Royster. It's more a matter of situation than the player, as when he was drafted, it seemed to be odd since we'd already taken Helu. It seemed like an unnecessary pick to me at the time, and that's before THT was acquired.

I'd watched a few games of Royster's in college, and thought he was alright. It's more a matter of me wanting a shiftier back with more burst to go along with Torain/THT in the ZBK. Now maybe Helu can fill that role, I was just hoping to hedge my bets on that with Davis.

Is it logical? Probably not. Fair? Not even close.

But that's my reasoning. Actually, you guys have convinced me I'm wrong about this. If it was anyone but JD I'd be on your side.

Sorry?

Haha, I suppose I have been overly critical of Royster. It's more a matter of situation than the player, as when he was drafted, it seemed to be odd since we'd already taken Helu. It seemed like an unnecessary pick to me at the time, and that's before THT was acquired.

I'd watched a few games of Royster's in college, and thought he was alright. It's more a matter of me wanting a shiftier back with more burst to go along with Torain/THT in the ZBK. Now maybe Helu can fill that role, I was just hoping to hedge my bets on that with Davis.

Is it logical? Probably not. Fair? Not even close.

But that's my reasoning. Actually, you guys have convinced me I'm wrong about this. If it was anyone but JD I'd be on your side.

Sorry?

You and me are good and solid

I repect your opinion and enjoy reading different opinions

I just felt strongly about this.

Sorry if I came off like a dick

Archived