Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If It took 33 years for Chris Hanburger...How long for Gary Clark?

OxonHillSkinsFan89

Clark will never make into the hall.

He's in a tough spot. His numbers indicate that he should be. Now that these new WRs are starting to retire with much better numbers, the odds are stacked against him.

The Steelers WRs made it. But they have two more rings. That's going to be the argument against Clark.

Remember it is the PRO FOOTBALL Hall of Fame not the NFL Hall of Fame - so you need to add these to his stats

1984 Clark 56 760 13.6 2

1985 Clark 10 61 6.1 1

So his totals are 745 rec 11677 yards 68 TDS

these numbers are almost the same as Irvins 750 rec 11904 yards and 65 TDS 5 Time All Pro 3 Super Bowls and 5 Pro Bowls

Gary Clark should be in the HOF .

Tom

Love me some Gary Clark.

Playing 11 years in the NFL and putting up above average numbers and being a true Redskin is worthy of our Wall of Fame, but I don't think he makes the Hall of Fame. There are a number of receivers "more" worthy of the Hall, and being a passing league now, there are a number of players who will have similar or better numbers.

I just don't see him getting in. People are not even talking about him when it comes to HOF like Carter, Reed & Brown. Then you have to figure in guys who are not even eligible yet who have better numbers.

He should be in, no question. He is right there, stat wise with players in his era... with Two rings.. no question.

I agree that he has an uphill fight but never heard of an argument that 2 rings hurts your chances when you have double the catches and yards of the most famous WR from Pitt.

Lynn Swanns numbers: Rec: 336 Yards: 5462, TDs: 51

I laughed when I saw that.

He should be in, no question. He is right there, stat wise with players in his era... with Two rings.. no question.

I agree that he has an uphill fight but never heard of an argument that 2 rings hurts your chances when you have double the catches and yards of the most famous WR from Pitt.

Lynn Swanns numbers: Rec: 336 Yards: 5462, TDs: 51

I laughed when I saw that.

I just think that Swann being in the 70s, with two more rings, did it. I think the backlash from Swann also hurts Clark. He was 1b to Rice during the late 80s.

Do you know what I have a problem with when it comes the to HOF voters? They are so stuck on getting the recently retired players in on the first ballot that they've actually pushed back even "further" players that played during the 80s and 90s, who had HOF stats when they retired. They're so busy trying to get the "Deions, Emmitt Smiffs and Rices" that they forget about guys like Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Kuchenberg and such who had HOF careers.

This. :applause:

Gary Clark should be in if Swann is in.

Lynn Swann's HOF status is a fabrication of NFL Films.

Well, that and he was part of the Steelers when they won 4 superbowls practically back to back. And commentating in the press, doesn't hurt ingratiating himself to the press. It worked for Swann, and it's what Cris Carter is trying to do now.

It is a joke that Swann and Stallworth get in, and Clark doesn't. It's a joke that coke-head "push-off" Irvin gets in, when Clark doesn't with comparable numbers when passing wasn't quite as easy. It's a joke that Cris Carter complains and will probably get in before Clark, when Cris got his numbers under easier NFL rules.

But the Hall of fame should be tough to get into, and some mistakes are made. Maybe a veteran committee will see the light.

You could make a case for the remaining "hogs" to be inducted; afterall, they changed the way coaches built their lines, which now are much bigger. It was because of the hogs. Isn't that what they were saying during HOF commentaries; "did they change the game" was mentioned many times, and they did, so they should be a shoe-in. But it won't happen.

Clark is more than deserving, but unless he brings something to the table today, via

coaching {and winning} or gets into national media, he will be forgotten, unless there's a huge push for him. Most likely, there will be some third dn receiver who had 1 good game on the Cowboys, Steelers, Pats, Packers, or Raiders, and they will be elected in, and its a crying shame, just like all-pro casting; the deserving don't make it, only the ones who make noise outside of football...

Good luck on this one ever happening.

WR is the most difficult position to induct.

Chris Carter isn't even in the HOF.

And, let's be honest, there are more deserving guys who aren't in the HOF in front of Clark, like Andre Reed.

One must consider the rule changes that have occurred over the last 20 or so years that have made the league into a passing-league. This has made it extremely difficult to assess the HOF-worthiness of WR's.

He's in a tough spot. His numbers indicate that he should be. Now that these new WRs are starting to retire with much better numbers, the odds are stacked against him.

The Steelers WRs made it. But they have two more rings. That's going to be the argument against Clark.

One of the biggest reasons WRs are putting up bigger numbers is because of the contact rule (can't "touch" after 5 yards)... For Art Monk and Gary Clark to be as successful as they were is all the more impressive when you think how much harder they had it. Rules have changed to allow and produce inflated WR stats...

I've always said that Peter King should spearhead Clark's candidacy. He claimed for years that Monk only put up the numbers he did because defenses were focused on Clark. If Clark could put up HOF caliber numbers while drawing so much coverage that it allowed Art Monk to catch more passes than anyone in history, how the hell can Clark NOT be a Hall of Fame player?

I love Gary, he was my favorite player for years....but he's not the next Redskin in line to go to the hall of fame.

I agree. The next Redskin & someone who should have been a first or second ballot Hall of Famer is Jerry Smith. But Clark is definitely a Hall of Famer. Clarks stats are nearly identical to Irvins in basically the same amount of time & from an era that wasn't as receiver & QB friendly as the era Irvin played in & Clark managed his without committing offensive pass interference on nearly every play. I believe many Redskins who are Hall of Fame worthy are punished & not put in because a few hypocrite reports believe the team name is racist.

Without a shout of a doubt Gary Clark deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. However I do agree with the statements in this thread regarding the fact that it would be an up hill climb for him to accomplish such a feat. Maybe our fanbase needs to rise up in a similar manner like we did before Monk finally got it. Lets spread the word, introduce the topic via area radio stations/online pages, and show the muscle we have as fans to bring a real discussion/debate to the table and make them hear us.

He should be as should Joe jacoby or route 66 , BIG Jim Lachey and Larry the heart Brown imho.Clark was one of the top wr's of his time and he didn't even need to push off oop sorry bout that Micheal. Larry Brown would have made had he not been behind a not so stellar line and used as a battering ram and road hard and put up wet by Allen. Jim Lachey was the no.1 Lt in the game while he played, the only thing holding him back is he didn't play 10 years. blew out his shoulder and Joe Jacoby was the one of the best at Lt and then Rt and did play over 10 years so whats more to say.

Archived