Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If It took 33 years for Chris Hanburger...How long for Gary Clark?

OxonHillSkinsFan89

From the Redskins teams that one 3 Super Bowls, we have the following people in the HOF: Joe Gibbs, John Riggins, Art Monk, Darrell Green, and Russ Grimm.

We had to wait a long time for Monk and Grimm to be inducted, so I won't hold my breath waiting for Clark to get his number called by the selection committee, but I do think those Championship teams are still underrepresented. I would add Joe Jacoby to the list of candidates too.

It was great to see the hang-man inducted this year!

My favorite player of all time. But if Gary is getting in it'll be via the Vet comittee and I still don't see it happening.

Someone said it best earlier in the thread, NFL Films (and now partner media too) mythmaking plays a large role in who is perceived as deserving and who isn't.

By in large the Redskins of the past have group myths (The Over the Hill Gang, The Hogs, The Posse) but rarely garner individual myths. Riggins is the only one that springs to mind when it comes to the myth being greater than the actual player

Gary is a Hall of Famer in my mind but I think the script has been written by the powers that be on Gibbs' Redskins. The script is "great coach takes a group players with lesser talent than others and molds them into winners". This is great for the legacy of Joe Gibbs, but it ends up hurting those that played for him.

I think Russ Grimm will likely be the last Gibbs era player that will be elected into the Hall by the regular voters. Any further inductees will come via the Vet Committee.

I have a better chance of making it. His name never even enters the discussion as a candiate, does it?

Anyway, Cris Carter can't get in - which is nuts. Receiver is going to be a major issue for the HOF going forward.

---------- Post added August-9th-2011 at 07:26 AM ----------

Its going to take him a while too but he will get there

You will get in before him.

This. :applause:

Gary Clark should be in if Swann is in.

Lynn Swann's HOF status is a fabrication of NFL Films.

This is a joke right? As if Swann's participation in those films was just a secondary part,, a bit player? After all, someone had to make those spectacularly huge plays in the biggest game on Earth for the film to even have something to show, right? The reason those films are so famous is because they maage to show you just how amazing those plays were, not because they are good films.

Some guys are in for their accomplishments for football, not necessarily as football players. Joe Namath is one. Lynn Swann is another.

when the NFL was first becoming a big time TV draw and starting it's first steps on becoming what Americans do with their Sundays, Lynn Swann provided those plays.

Whether or not he looks better in Slow Motion popping that ball over Charlie Waters... I can tell you, that play was just as remarkable at full speed. his catch on the sidelines.. just as amazing at full speed. Both of them popped your eyes out of your skull.

I love Clark, he's got decent numbers.. but I would not put him in Swann's category in terms of Hall worthiness. Swann was transcdendant. Swann's exploits brought the game to more than football fans. Clark doesn't compare to that.

Clark's numbers used to be hall worthy,, but Jerry Rice reset the bar so high for receivers.. that and the current pass happy league driving big stats every year.. I doubt he gets in. I

~Bang

This is a joke right? As if Swann's participation in those films was just a secondary part,, a bit player? After all, someone had to make those spectacularly huge plays in the biggest game on Earth for the film to even have something to show, right? The reason those films are so famous is because they maage to show you just how amazing those plays were, not because they are good films.

If you want to ***** about a Steeler receiver, it is Stallworth not Swann. Stallworth got in because Swann made it and everyone realized that he may have been the #2 receiver on his team. Swann was, at one time, arguably the most famous player in the NFL.

The way to explain Swann is imagine if David Tyree was a) actually a good receiver and B) made that catch four times in the Super Bowl.

I have no issue with Swann being in the HOF. Stallworth, I don't get.

good receivers on super bowl champs dont qualify for the HOF

i.e Drew Pearson, Otis Taylor, Cliff Branch, John Taylor.

Clark was definetely a great Redskin. But every decent team has a guy just like him. Monk was the all-time receiving leader for a while so that was the argument for him. Also the HOF just isnt skin friendly

The problem with the HOF (and it is, in reality, the NFL HOF, unlike basketball, which is truly an all-basketball HOF) is that eligibility is not determined by those who played or coached the game, but by a bunch of overly-conceited wanna-be jocks.

As for Swann, the 70's were even more pass-hostile than the '80s, and the Steelers were as much a ground team as the Skins (Rocky Bleier actually ran the ball in addition to Harris). Also, Swann made a bunch of highlight reel catches. I have no problem with him being in the Hall of FAME.

There should be a mandatory OL spot ever year. It's ridiculous that a team game wouldn't recognize a team position. Finally, move the waiting period to 10 years.

Clark was definetely a great Redskin. But every decent team has a guy just like him. Monk was the all-time receiving leader for a while so that was the argument for him. Also the HOF just isnt skin friendly

This argument falls apart pretty quickly when you look at how much more prolific Gary Clark was than all of those guys. That said, your last sentence is spot on and is why I don't expect Clark to make the Hall.

It's a joke that Cris Carter complains and will probably get in before Clark, when Cris got his numbers under easier NFL rules.

Cris Carter was a BETTER receiver than Gary Clark. Cris Carter not being in the Hall should seriously be investigated. He probably had the best hands in NFL History. The guy continues to be penalized for what - for catching more passes than anyone else in NFL History except Jerry Rice? So losing to Jerry Rice makes you not Hall worthy?

What a crock. Check youtube for some Carter highlights - guy was phenomenal.

Gary Clark was a play maker. But he simply doesn't have the receptions to get him into the HOF. 699 receptions just aren't enough. His 10,000 plus yards are impressive as well as his 65 TD receptions.

So how does Irvin get in then? He played a few more years and has almost identical stats. Clark also wasn't playing in the mid 90's when a dozen receivers were catching 100+ balls a year.

The problem with the HOF (and it is, in reality, the NFL HOF, unlike basketball, which is truly an all-basketball HOF) is that eligibility is not determined by those who played or coached the game, but by a bunch of overly-conceited wanna-be jocks.

As opposed to baseball where 95 year old writers make the decision?

I actually think the worst people to vote for HOF inductions would be former players. We see how little players actually watch NFL games when the All Pro teams are announced.

---------- Post added August-11th-2011 at 08:47 AM ----------

So how does Irvin get in then? He played a few more years and has almost identical stats. Clark also wasn't playing in the mid 90's when a dozen receivers were catching 100+ balls a year.

Irvin was the bell cow on the last true NFL dynasty.

---------- Post added August-11th-2011 at 08:49 AM ----------

The Carter thing is awful, but I think he will eventually get in.

The one guy who will NEVER get in (I think) and who should have been a first ballot Hall of Famer is Charles Haley.

The dude was without question the best defender on Five Super Bowl winners. But he called Steve Young a "faggot" and was insane so he's never getting in.

I actually think the worst people to vote for HOF inductions would be former players. We see how little players actually watch NFL games when the All Pro teams are announced.

Agreed. In fact baseball set up the Veterans Committee consisting of ex-players and they voted in a bunch of their buddies. The St. Louis Cardinals ended up with a large number of extremely questionable selections because Frankie Frisch was the chairman.

Agreed. In fact baseball set up the Veterans Committee consisting of ex-players and they voted in a bunch of their buddies. The St. Louis Cardinals ended up with a large number of extremely questionable selections because Frankie Frisch was the chairman.

They did the same thing with Buck O'Neil and Negro Leauge ballplayers.

Granted, the Negro Leagues were horribly under-represented, but their solution seemed to be to let Buck O'Neil pick his old friends from the Kansas City Monarchs.

Namath's career was pedestrian at best; his claim to fame was his mouth, not his playing ability. If you are a good/decent player on a team which repeats in SB's then you stand a chance, just as they buttered up the Steelers in the HOF. Yea, there were a few Steelers who deservedly got in, but others simply because they were on a good team, AKA 60's Packers, who has all but 1 player in, if I'm not mistaken, and that itself shows the favortism of certain teams/players.

So, lets find Gary Clark, get him to put on some panty hose, and get him on Dancing with the Stars...

Namath's career was pedestrian at best; his claim to fame was his mouth, not his playing ability. If you are a good/decent player on a team which repeats in SB's then you stand a chance, just as they buttered up the Steelers in the HOF. Yea, there were a few Steelers who deservedly got in, but others simply because they were on a good team, AKA 60's Packers, who has all but 1 player in, if I'm not mistaken, and that itself shows the favortism of certain teams/players.

So, lets find Gary Clark, get him to put on some panty hose, and get him on Dancing with the Stars...

Namath in the HOF is an abomination.

From the Redskins teams that one 3 Super Bowls, we have the following people in the HOF: Joe Gibbs, John Riggins, Art Monk, Darrell Green, and Russ Grimm.

We had to wait a long time for Monk and Grimm to be inducted, so I won't hold my breath waiting for Clark to get his number called by the selection committee, but I do think those Championship teams are still underrepresented. I would add Joe Jacoby to the list of candidates too.

It was great to see the hang-man inducted this year!

I would say 5 players/coaches is about the limit for any championship team although there have been some teams that have more in. For the longest time we only had 2- Riggins and Gibbs. I don't think Clark nor Jacoby will get in, but I do think they would be my first 2 choices if they did.

---------- Post added August-11th-2011 at 02:08 PM ----------

I like the first three on your WR list. John Taylor, umm, no.

Archived