Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN 980: Which Returning Starter Washington most needs to improve?

Veretax

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

If we're talking about starters, then i would say Trent Williams. If we're talking overall, then most definitely Malcolm Kelly. I hope he can get on the field and show us what he has for a full season. It would be real nice if he could contribute.

I voted for Trent Williams, for a few reasons. One, he's a rookie, is young, and has the potential to show substantial improvement, and there were noticeable holes in his game that could be improved, so he qualifies. Not to mention he plays one of the most important positions on the team. As for the others:

Landry - Appeared to have turned into an absolute stud before he got hurt last season, so the improvement may have already happened.

Orakpo - A down year (compared to his rookie year) was still worth 8.5 sacks. If he does that the rest of his career he'll be over 100. Great already.

Carriker - Not expected to be a superstar, and is solid against the run. He's fine.

Lichtensteiger - Like Carriker, not expected to be a star. I thought he did pretty well last year, it was Rabach that was the problem. He's solid.

Torain - While there is room for improvement, his issue has been injuries, not ability. Also, he depends on Williams.

Moss - Could actually stand to improve even with good numbers. Had some bad drops/deflections that led to INT's. Still, not our biggest problem.

Hall - You know what you're getting with him. He's peaked for the most part, and is a nice piece that gives occasional heartburn.

Brown - Injuries, not ability. Has shown pro-bowl form in the past. It's a matter of health with him. No worries here.

Davis - Not a starter, though his development could make Cooley expendable and tradeable.

So yeah, the way I see it, Trent Williams qualifies the most based on the options you've given, in my mind. I would have also considered Riley or Barnes, but they're not technically returning starters, neither is Beck.

I think the vote is about right - Trent's improvement is definitely the biggest key to our success because if the other players play at a similar level to last year it's not too bad for us. Jammal obviously needs to pick up where he left off and improve as well.

I voted Orakpo because I think that's the player I'd most like to see improve. Orakpo is a beast and I love him. But it seems like his first two years he gets his share of sacks and nice plays and is certainly one of the best at his position as evidenced by his Pro-Bowls. But he has seemed to remain in that realm of consistent steady play (which I by no means am complaining about) but has yet to take that next step to becoming a game-changing, dominating type of player. I'm hoping to see a guy this year that puts up 12-15 sacks and is forcing a lot of fumbles and interceptions. I think with Kerrigan on the other side, and the combination of the pressure we can create up the middle and the coverage overtop, it's time for Orakpo to step up to the All-Pro level in his third year.

A bit off subject, but...

Anyone know if Chris Samuels is at camp this year like he was last year?

That's a great question man.

Anyone know what's happening with Samuels period? It appeared he wanted to get into coaching after last summer's internship, but I've heard zero more on the matter. I appreciate great players don't always make the best coaches; but he's worked under the best in Buges, and if anyone knows anything about line play it's Chris.

Hail.

That's a great question man.

Anyone know what's happening with Samuels period? It appeared he wanted to get into coaching after last summer's internship, but I've heard zero more on the matter. I appreciate great players don't always make the best coaches; but he's worked under the best in Buges, and if anyone knows anything about line play it's Chris.

Hail.

He took a job as the OC of a High School team in Mobile Alabama. Not sure if that's a full time gig but I suspect it means he is not at camp.

Granted the question was only about starters who are returning, Montgomery not sure you'd class him as a returning starter, certainly not the guy we picked up from the Ravens so on the OL we'd expect all three of Brown, Williams, and Lichensteiger to step up. Without OL it really doesn't make much difference what the skill positions on O do IMO. On Defense, I think with new pieces Rak needs to be more disruptive and take a step up. He's already very good, but i think he can be great, and I'd put Landry into that same boat, if he can stay healthy

Williams is a logical choice, but I'm going with an underestimated choice: Laron Landry.

He always seems to be on the precipice of being very good, but then he'll have a boneheaded missed tackle, penalty, or get burned by a WR. As soon as he stays consistent and doesn't try to make the huge hit every time he'll be quite the stellar safety.

Williams is a logical choice, but I'm going with an underestimated choice: Laron Landry.

He always seems to be on the precipice of being very good, but then he'll have a boneheaded missed tackle, penalty, or get burned by a WR. As soon as he stays consistent and doesn't try to make the huge hit every time he'll be quite the stellar safety.

Dude did you go to sleep in 2009 and wake up in 2011?

He was arguably our best player in our first year of the 3-4 in 2010. Go to NFL.com and check out our games from last season. After, come back and post on his performances in each one.

Haill!

Dude did you go to sleep in 2009 and wake up in 2011?

He was arguably our best player in our first year of the 3-4 in 2010. Go to NFL.com and check out our games from last season. After, come back and post on his performances in each one.

Haill!

He may have been, but I still recall him making several huge mistakes (late hits, missed tackles) that led to touchdowns for the opposing team. Maybe I'm thinking of the year before.

Main point is that he is a good player, but he can be great. And that would be a huge bonus because I thought our secondary sucked last year.

He may have been, but I still recall him making several huge mistakes (late hits, missed tackles) that led to touchdowns for the opposing team. Maybe I'm thinking of the year before.

Main point is that he is a good player, but he can be great. And that would be a huge bonus because I thought our secondary sucked last year.

holy **** lol please tell me your being funny?

Your thinking of the year before (2 years ago now). He didn't have any late hits that resulted in touchdowns by opposing teams last year. Not 1! You did watch us play last year right? He was NFC player of the week against the Super Bowl Champs (He basically won us the game) He also was a lock for the probowl but due to league rules couldn't get recognition (placed on IR).

Maybe you should watch us play this year bro

Archived