Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Rex Grossman not in camp yet? UPDATED- REX AGREES TO TERMS, to arrive 8-2-11

DieHard86

Patrick Ramsey and JP Losman--just to name two of most terrible of those awful examples--are more serviceable than Rex Grossman, who is a) clearly better than any of the guys on that list and B) has been running the system for several years?

You would rather have Patrick Ramsey come in off the street and learn an offense in a few weeks and face the Giants in week 1?

Hilarious.

Semantics argument coming, I know, lame. But if he's a good QB in Kyle's offense, he's a good NFL quarterback. However, I think I get your drift: you can't plug him in to any scheme and have success. He's no where near the top echeleon of NFL quarterback.

You understood my point exactly, if Kyle quit coaching Rex Grossman is out of a job.

I am a big fan of Rex Grossman, one thing I don't understand is his perception in the media and among NFL fans overall. I don't understand how a QB can win an NFC championship in his first and only full season starting and be perceived as some kind of joke. It's not like the majority of NFL fans even give him credit for being an average QB in the NFL, for whatever reason they think he is among the worst professional athlete of all time. Apparently people don't know the difference between inconsistent and incompetent.

I hope this is the year that Rex gets a chance to prove everyone wrong, because a lot of us here know what he is capable of. Unleash the dragon, as they say.

Patrick Ramsey and JP Losman--just to name two of most terrible of those awful examples--are more serviceable than Rex Grossman, who is a) clearly better than any of the guys on that list and B) has been running the system for several years?

You would rather have Patrick Ramsey come in off the street and learn an offense in a few weeks and face the Giants in week 1?

Hilarious.

How is he CLEARLY better? The numbers say otherwise. He's statiscally gotta be one of the worst QBs in the league.

But I wouldn't have either Ramsey OR Grossman starting week 1. I don't know how that got to be the only option. Start Beck, see what happens. I wouldn't have signed Grossman even last year though.

Rex did hold out for more money. He wanted starter money and the Skins don't want to spend any money.

Why don't the Redskins want to spend any money this year???

I'll tell ya that my hunch is more accurate than any counter argument...The Redskins are losing money this year because of their past. The fans aren't buying season ticket and the support has taken a down turn significantly enough so they have been cutting back.

Dan Snyder is cutting back because he's lost money on this walk out and through loosing Redskin fans. His numbers are down and he's countering with being a tight ass. Book it!

Outside of Garcia, none of those guys have had anywhere near the kind of games Rex has had in the NFL. People only seem to remember the bad Rex. When he's on, dude can sling it. His reputation is much worse than his actual track record. I mean, Matt Leinart? Dude had a stellar supporting cast and all he did was check down.

I think there's a better chance that Rex becomes a more consistent QB than there is of John Beck taking the league by a storm.

I'll just be happy if either one happens.

And don't mistake me, I'm not saying any of those dudes are GOOD, they're just better than Grossman, which is a pretty low bar.

Rex's actual track record is one fluke year where the defense carried the team to the Super Bowl. And even then, he was a bad QB.

Rex did hold out for more money. He wanted starter money and the Skins don't want to spend any money.

I'll tell ya that my hunch is more accurate than any counter argument...The Redskins are losing money this year because of their past. The fans aren't buying season ticket and the support has taken a down turn significantly enough so they have been cutting back.

Dan Snyder is cutting back because he's lost money on this walk out and through loosing Redskin fans. His numbers are down and he's countering with being a tight ass. Book it!

Very interesting.

I wonder if this could mean a change in ownership is around the corner.

Now THAT is change I can believe in!

Or, ya know, it could be the fact that we don't have a complete ****ing moron as a GM now, and we're making cap sound decisions. Just a thought.

And don't mistake me, I'm not saying any of those dudes are GOOD, they're just better than Grossman, which is a pretty low bar.

Rex's actual track record is one fluke year where the defense carried the team to the Super Bowl. And even then, he was a bad QB.

Wrong.

He had some very good games that year... that were usually folllowed by bad ones. He was very inconsistent and took a lot of dumb chances.

I'm not saying he's a good QB. I am saying he is better than his awul rep and better than the guys you mentioned.

Rex threw four tds in one game last year. On the road. And it should have been five. How many Redskin QBs have done that the past decade?

How many QBs in the NFL have won more playoff games in such a limited amount of time? Most NFL starters nowadays choke when they get in the playoffs. Even Eli Manning needed divine intervention (dropped INT, miraculous catch) to score 17 points against the Patriots when the Bears scored 17 points in the pouring rain against the Colts the year before.

QB ratings are so political.

How many QBs in the NFL have won more playoff games in such a limited amount of time? Most NFL starters nowadays choke when they get in the playoffs. Even Eli Manning needed divine intervention (dropped INT, miraculous catch) to score 17 points against the Patriots when the Bears scored 17 points in the pouring rain against the Colts the year before.

QB ratings are so political.

Love that you bring up Manning. If Rex starts every game this year, I see him putting up Eli numbers. Lots of TDS, lots of picks, and lots of yards. And I'd be thrilled with that. I'm so sick of QBs who play not to lose and check down on third and 8. We are clearly rebuilding -- might as well have some fun!

Wrong.

He had some very good games that year... that were usually folllowed by bad ones. He was very inconsistent and took a lot of dumb chances.

I'm not saying he's a good QB. I am saying he is better than his awul rep and better than the guys you mentioned.

Rex threw four tds in one game last year. On the road. And it should have been five. How many Redskin QBs have done that the past decade?

you know derek anderson had a pro bowl season, 1 year after rex had his nice season. crappy QBs can turn it on for one year, it happens.

i know you decently enough on this board to know that you cannot be seriously content that rex is our QB, so either you are deluding yourself cause the season starts in like 10 days (thats fine) or youve gone off the deep end Hooper!

Love that you bring up Manning. If Rex starts every game this year, I see him putting up Eli numbers. Lots of TDS, lots of picks, and lots of yards. And I'd be thrilled with that. I'm so sick of QBs who play not to lose and check down on third and 8. We are clearly rebuilding -- might as well have some fun!

262 480 54.6 3,193 23 20 73.9

297 529 56.1 3,336 23 20 73.9

Whose numbers are those? At the top is Grossman's numbers, the Bears Super Bowl Year. At the bottom, is Eli Mannings #'s their super bowl year the following year. Grossman is crucified nationally as a joke, that he shouldn't even be in the NFL. And Eli gets a free pass, because he's a Manning. It's funny how that works. With almost the exact same numbers. Peoples perception is their reality.

you know derek anderson had a pro bowl season, 1 year after rex had his nice season. crappy QBs can turn it on for one year, it happens.

i know you decently enough on this board to know that you cannot be seriously content that rex is our QB, so either you are deluding yourself cause the season starts in like 10 days (thats fine) or youve gone off the deep end Hooper!

I'm not content more than I think he is our best option and get why Shanahan went with him and Beck. We are rebuilding. Our division is stacked. Signing a big name vet with their best years behind them makes no sense. And the potential diamonds in the rough out there would have no time to learn the offense because of the lockout. Same goes for a rookie -- it would have been a wasted season for them.

If Grossman wins the job, I really think he will play pretty well. And if Beck beats him out, then maybe we have our own diamond in the rough.

It was always odd to me how some people get upset about Rex not getting enough credit during the Bears SB season in 06. Without their insane defense and Devin Hester they would never have made the playoffs. They had one game where Rex threw 0 TDs, 4 INTs with a 37% completion rating AND THEY STILL WON. Rex isn't a "horrible QB" in the sense of him just being completely awful whenever he steps on the field. But he is so wildly inconsistent that I can't see any way of reliably winning games with him unless we provide him with a great supporting cast and defense.

Archived