Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Rex Grossman not in camp yet? UPDATED- REX AGREES TO TERMS, to arrive 8-2-11

DieHard86

Rex isn't a terrible QB. His main two problems are that he is a turnover machine, good for at least 1 to 2 per game because he either makes a bad read or gets caught in the pocket because he just doesn't feel the rush.

His other main problem is his horrid game to game inconsistency.

Look at his QB ratings game to game from 2006:

Rgrossmanstats2006.png

I mean, he literally had 5 ratings under 10, including 1 of 0.0 in that season, and another of 1.3. Wow. That's, uh, not good.

That said - I'm glad he'll be starting over Beck.

---------- Post added August-2nd-2011 at 06:10 PM ----------

@russellmania980: Rex: "I'm gonna go try and prove it, without anything else." A semi shot at Beck. #Redskins

LOL. This camp battle...is gonna be more like a cripple fight. Oh well. I'm still glad he'll be starting over Beck.

I'm not content more than I think he is our best option and get why Shanahan went with him and Beck. We are rebuilding. Our division is stacked. Signing a big name vet with their best years behind them makes no sense. And the potential diamonds in the rough out there would have no time to learn the offense because of the lockout. Same goes for a rookie -- it would have been a wasted season for them.

If Grossman wins the job, I really think he will play pretty well. And if Beck beats him out, then maybe we have our own diamond in the rough.

im with you until that last sentence, i think both of them are going to play very poorly and we're going to lose. a lot.

Rex isn't a terrible QB. His main two problems are that he is a turnover machine, good for at least 1 to 2 per game because he either makes a bad read or gets caught in the pocket because he just doesn't feel the rush.

His other main problem is his horrid game to game inconsistency.

Look at his QB ratings game to game from 2006:

Rgrossmanstats2006.png

I mean, he literally had 5 ratings under 10, including 1 of 0.0 in that season, and another of 1.3. Wow. That's, uh, not good.

That's exactly why he's terrible. Turnover machine and terrible QB usually go hand in hand.

262 480 54.6 3,193 23 20 73.9

297 529 56.1 3,336 23 20 73.9

Whose numbers are those? At the top is Grossman's numbers, the Bears Super Bowl Year. At the bottom, is Eli Mannings #'s their super bowl year the following year. Grossman is crucified nationally as a joke, that he shouldn't even be in the NFL. And Eli gets a free pass, because he's a Manning. It's funny how that works. With almost the exact same numbers. Peoples perception is their reality.

You're not possibly suggesting that Eli and Rex are on the same level, are you? Based off one season's stats? lol Manning has played well in years other than that. Grossman most certainly has not. Compare the body of work and you see why the perceptions of them are justifiably different.

Check this out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/02/rex-grossman-isnt-getting-paid-like-a-potential-starter/

Veteran quarterback Rex Grossman believes he’ll keep the starting job he wrested from Donovan McNabb in 2010. But if Grossman wins the job, he won’t be getting paid like a starter.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract, Grossman’s one-year deal pays him only $1.15 million this season.

The magnitude of the contract suggests that Grossman, a first-round pick of the Bears in 2003, had no other options. It also suggests that John Beck has the inside track on the gig.

That is absolute chicken scratch for a starting QB. Are we really and truly gonna go with Beck this year and have Rex backing him up? I thought there was no way until I saw this.

It's chicken scratch because literally no one else in the NFL wanted him. He's Kyle Shanahan's man, and he's also better than Beck. He will be the Week 1 starter, barring injury. I'd be willing to make a signature bet with anyone who thinks differently.

It's chicken scratch because literally no one else in the NFL wanted him. He's Kyle Shanahan's man, and he's also better than Beck. He will be the Week 1 starter, barring injury. I'd be willing to make a signature bet with anyone who thinks differently.

I'd be surprised too. And agreed, it's all about supply and demand! :)

Agreed. Grossman starts week 1, if he starts to really stink it up, or the season is over early then Beck will probably get a chance to show what he's capable of, but I just can't see Beck winning this job in pre-season.

Check this out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/02/rex-grossman-isnt-getting-paid-like-a-potential-starter/

That is absolute chicken scratch for a starting QB. Are we really and truly gonna go with Beck this year and have Rex backing him up? I thought there was no way until I saw this.

This is beautiful... If Vinny was in charge, we'd be paying 10mil for 3 years, and he'd be on the radio/tv espousing Rex as the next great thing. We have a real GM. Enjoy it. In no way does this contract suggest anything other than the fact that we have a legit front office that knows we have little at QB, and aren't willing to pay heavily for a minor upgrade.

Hate to be the debbie downer, but I'm old enough to know mediocrity. If he does decently, it's because the scheme is weakened for a lesser QB. Which means the O-line and defense overall have to play VERY well. This season the skins, IMO (among many others), have a buy. Want to see improvement from every other position aside from QB. Rex (assuming he gets the job) is a placeholder.

I think the Shanahans' hyping of Beck was done to (a) drive down Grossman's negotiating leverage and (B) generate healthy competition for the starting job.

This is a scratch season, with a young team, with almost no expectations. We'll probably be the usual 6-10 team that no one can make much sense of, but with that brutal schedule and a few weird bounces, we could end up inadvertently winning the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

Weirdest I've felt in a long time, going into a Redskins season. I guess all I really want to see is some young talent developing.

First half vs. the Cowboys in week 15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb5im-AHOis&feature=related

Second half vs. the Cowboys in week 15: According to the youtube summary, ended up with 25 completions out of 45 attempts, 322 yards, 4 tds and 2 ints.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akCNVezROwg

Honestly, if Rex has time he's a good QB. His decision making under pressure is questionable though.

...I'm really trying to figure out why people think we have a brutal schedule.

I mean, yeah, we face the Pats and the Jets, and our regular NFC East rivals, but other than that...who on the schedule is really scary?

Pretty much every other game on our schedule is completely winnable, at least with Rex at the helm. We face the NFC West, who didn't have a single team with a winning record, and pretty much every team but the Rams has a situation at quarterback that's not much better than ours. (T-Jack vs. Whitehurst ain't much better than Grossman vs. Beck, folks). Miami is pretty much in the same boat quarterback wise, Buffalo lost a couple key players on defense. Cam Newton's going to start and he seems like he won't be read, and even Jimmy Clausen isn't going to be an upgrade. And even Minnesota with McNabb isn't in that great of a situation, even with AP in the backfield. They lost Sidney Rice, their defense is starting to age, unsure corners...

So yeah, I'm not seeing the brutal schedule. You can say we're rebuilding, but it seems like a majority of the teams we're facing are rebuilding...

Rex has an arm, no doubt about that. He also knows the offense. I would add that he has moxie.

My concern with Rex is the turnovers. He seems to get nervous and jumpy at times, leading to bad decisions.

I expect Beck vs. Rex to be interesting.

Archived