Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Adam Schefter: Arizona trades Tim Hightower to Skins for Vonnie Holliday and pick

VetMinimum+Incentives

Definitely an immediate downgrade to the D line and we have plenty of young RBs... but that aside its a pretty nice deal. Hightower could easily become the #1 back this year and in the future

There's no doubt in my mind Vonnie was going to be released. FO continues to impress me on a daily basis...

Hate/Love this move. I want more attention focused elsewhere like the oline (still would like another guard and center) and the big hole at the #2 mlb, however I do like that we gave up what it's looking like a late pick and an aging dlineman who was probably going to have a tough time making the roster with all the attention focused on the dline this offseason.

Whether people like it or not, I have a feeling that the FO doesn't see a hole at ILB. we drafted Riley for a reason, and he'll compete with Henson, with Blades and Alexander as depth.

hightower is such a bum. this means royster is a s good as gone and i believe royster will be much better than hightower

I disagree about Hightower being a bum, he has skills. Fumbles are a concern though.

I agree about Royster though, I had high hopes when we drafted him.

You guys are gonna love TH. I hate to see him go, but at least he's going to an HC that knows how to use a RB. He's a good blocker in passing downs and can bust some runs. The big knock on him was his fumbles, if he can fix that he will become a fan favorite, he's a team player.

Another thing: this might spell the end of Key Williams here.

They're trying him our at FB, and we just traded for another young, hard-running, proven GL/pass-blocking RB.

He's gone if he doesn't beat out Young for the starting FB spot.

Sounds like we got fleeced, this guy is nothing special. Guy put the football on the ground too much and for AZ to trade him says a LOT because they have no runners.

Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams (drafted in the 2nd)? That sounds like a pretty solid tandem to me.

You're right about him putting the ball on the ground too much (9 fumbles in the last two seasons) but otherwise I love this trade/acquisition.

The depth chart will probably be Torain/Hightower as 1/2 and Helu as 3rd. That's a good group and three good prospects.

BTW I know a guy who knew Hightower at Richmond and said he's a great guy.

Thinking about how often our RBs have been injured, not to mention how Shanahan worked his magic in Denver when dealing with injuries at the position, I am not upset with this move. The running game will factor in greatly in taking the load off of Beck/Grossman. Great to have quality depth there.

hightower is such a bum. this means royster is a s good as gone and i believe royster will be much better than hightower

As my above post details, I think this spells the end to Key's time here, not Roysters.

I think we're going to carry 4 running backs on the roster this year (with 3 active on gameday), particularly given the troubles we had last year at the position and Torain's injury history. Torain, Hightower, Keiland Williams and Helu make the team, with Royster making the practice squad.

Hightower runs hard, can catch out of the backfield and can block. Seems like a promising fit in the system, and a good player to have in the rotation. Could see him getting 10-12 carries a game... A good move, and once again Shanahan surprises us all

From what I read, K Williams will be backing up at fb, with Young starting. That puts Torain, Hightower, Helu at hb. With both Torain's and Hightower's injury history, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4th rb, likely Royster as a 4th rb. Though it will be interesting to see who the #1 rb is. I'm thinking that whoever the "official" starter is, their touches by the end of the season will be about equal, focusing more on their strengths like a true RB by committee.

Here's where I read on K Williams at FB: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/mike-sellers-fighting-for-spot-at-tight-end/2011/07/30/gIQAKR8SjI_blog.html

yep, i think this means keiland goes. i like him as a person, but not as a rb. he has some tds last year, but all were in mop up duty, meaningless. he has ZERO burst. no pop to him. he just is not fast enough to be a lead back in the nfl...

Beat me to it.

I agree that it appears Williams is out as a competitor at runningback.

From what I read, K Williams will be backing up at fb, with Young starting. That puts Torain, Hightower, Helu at hb. With both Torain's and Hightower's injury history, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4th rb, likely Royster as a 4th rb. Though it will be interesting to see who the #1 rb is. I'm thinking that whoever the "official" starter is, their touches by the end of the season will be about equal, focusing more on their strengths like a true RB by committee.

Here's where I read on K Williams at FB: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/mike-sellers-fighting-for-spot-at-tight-end/2011/07/30/gIQAKR8SjI_blog.html

This is how to run a football team! Trading a mid-thirties player for 25 year old veteran. I want to see what pick we gave up but if it's a 5th, 6th or 7th, it's a smart move.

If Sellers is moved to the TE position and Hightower is known for his blocking skills, this may be the teams way of saying "we're not going after any OL from here on out".

I love the move. Shanahan made something out of Torrain I'm sure he can make something out of Hightower. He's a one cut guy, the line is improved, and we gave up a player who was going to get cut anyway. Don't be surprised if Holiday isn't cut by AZ and returns to the 'Skins.

This is how to run a football team! Trading a mid-thirties player for 25 year old veteran. I want to see what pick we gave up but if it's a 5th, 6th or 7th, it's a smart move.

If Sellers is moved to the TE position and Hightower is known for his blocking skills, this may be the teams way of saying "we're not going after any OL from here on out".

QFT. Love the logic behind it. Though I think they did a good job already of addressing the position, can only help if we get true value out of Hightower.

I think Williams is just being given more responsibilities, making him more versatile and worth a spot on the roster. I can't see Shanahan carrying 2 rookies** on the roster at the expense of a more veteran player who has already done a good job for him on the field. Williams is also more proven on special teams.

What I think it comes down to is, Williams doesn't have practice squad eligibility and Royster does.

**EDIT: two rookie running backs

Archived