Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESS RELEASE: Redskins Make Roster Moves (Updated 8/19/11)

Mark The Homer

ES Staff appened edit: 8/19/11

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

Aug. 19, 2011

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent kicker Clint Stitser and were awarded linebacker Thaddeus Gibson off waivers. The team also released LB Obi Ezeh. Stitser will wear No. 3 and Gibson will wear No. 95.

Stitser (6-1, 200) made his NFL debut with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2010, appearing in the team’s final five games after assuming kicking duties on Nov. 30. Stitser finished the season 7-of-8 on field goal attempts and 8-of-10 on extra point attempts.

From 2004-07, Stitser played collegiately at Fresno State, where he was 37-of-52 on field goal attempts. His 223 points scored rank seventh all-time in school history. During his senior season, Stitser was a semifinalist for the Draddy Award, also known as the “Academic Heisman.” He was also a finalist for the Wuerffel Award, which honors athletic, academic and community service.

Stitser, 26, was born May 19, 1985. He attended McQueen High School in Reno, Nev.

Gibson (6-2, 243) was selected in the fourth round of the 2010 NFL Draft by Pittsburgh. He was waived by the Steelers on Oct. 31, 2010, and claimed by San Francisco a day later. He appeared in the final two games of the regular season for the 49ers.

Gibson started 23-of-35 games in his three seasons at Ohio State, earning second-team All-Big 10 honors as a defensive end in his final campaign.

He was born Oct. 21, 1987 in Euclid, Ohio.

------------------------------------

ES Staff appended edit 8/6/11:

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

Aug. 6, 2011

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed three free agents – tackle Sean Locklear, center Donovan Raiola and punter Sav Rocca. Terms of the deals were not disclosed. Additionally, the Redskins have released linebacker Robert Henson, defensive tackle Joe Joseph and linebacker Kyle O’Donnell.

Locklear (6-4, 310) enters his eighth NFL season after having been originally drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the third round (84th overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft. In seven seasons with Seattle, Locklear played in 97 games with 78 career starts. In 2005, he started all 16 games in helping running back Shaun Alexander score an NFL-record 28 total touchdowns en route to being named the league’s Most Valuable Player.

A product of North Carolina State, Locklear was the first Wolfpack offensive lineman since 1992 to earn first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors. In his collegiate career, he played 23 games on defense with three starts and recorded 68 tackles (39 solo) with five sacks before switching to offensive line, where he started 11 games at three different positions. Born May 29, 1981, Locklear, 30, attended Lumberton Senior High in Lumberton, N.C.

Raiola (6-2, 293) was originally signed by the St. Louis Rams as an undrafted free agent in 2006. He played one game with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after signing with the team in December. Raiola had spent the 2010 preseason with the Buccaneers, appearing in all four of the team’s preseason games. Raiola has also spent time with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals and Chicago Bears.

In college, Raiola started all 39 games of his final three seasons at Wisconsin, earning honorable mention All-Big Ten honors each year. The 28-year-old is a native of Honolulu, where he attended Kamehameha High School. He was born on Dec. 13, 1982, and is the younger brother of Detroit Lions center Dominic Raiola.

Rocca, 37, enters his fifth NFL season after four years with the Philadelphia Eagles. His net punting averages from the 2008-10 seasons are the top three averages in Eagles’ history, including a franchise-record 39.0-yard average in 2010. His 43-yard career punting average as an Eagle ranks as the highest in team history of any player with a minimum of 100 punts.

Rocca (6-5, 265) played 15 seasons for the Collingwood Magpies and North Melbourne Kangaroos of the Australian Football League after attending Lakeside College in Lakeside, Australia.

------------------------------------

ES Staff Appended edit 8/2/11:

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

August 2, 2011

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed unrestricted free agent cornerback Phillip Buchanon, kicker Shayne Graham and quarterback Rex Grossman. Terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Buchanon, 30, enters his 10th NFL season with 121 career games played, including 82 starts, and 20 interceptions. His five interception returns for touchdowns are tied for fifth-most among active players. In his first season with the Redskins in 2010, Buchanon totaled 46 tackles, two interceptions, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and a team-leading 20 passes defensed.

The former University of Miami standout was originally drafted 17th overall by the Oakland Raiders in the 2002 NFL Draft. After spending three seasons in Oakland, Buchanon was traded to the Houston Texans in 2005. Following Week 7 of 2006, Buchanon was released by Houston and picked up a day later by Tampa Bay. He played in 10 games for the Buccaneers that season and started 29 of 32 games for Tampa Bay in 2007 and 2008, registering five interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery. He signed with Detroit as an unrestricted free agent prior to the 2009 season and went on to play in 13 games, with 11 starts.

Graham, 33, will begin his 11th NFL season after having spent eight games with the New England Patriots and one game with the New York Giants in 2010. He became the first Patriots kicker with at least 10 attempts in one season to connect on all of them, making 12-of-12 field goals in 2010. With an 86.0 percent career mark, he joins the Redskins as the third-most accurate kicker in NFL history.

Prior to his time in New England, Graham played seven seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals. He finished his tenure with Cincinnati as the franchise's most accurate kicker (86.8 percent). He was selected to the 2006 Pro Bowl after leading the AFC with a Bengals franchise-record 131 points (third in the NFL). Graham, a Virginia Tech product, made his NFL debut in 2001 with the Buffalo Bills.

Grossman, 30, returns for his second season with Redskins and his ninth overall in the NFL. In his first season in Washington in 2010, Grossman went 74-of-133 for 884 yards with seven touchdowns and four interceptions. Grossman started the final three contests and recorded two of his three career 300-yard passing days.

Prior to a 2009 stint in Houston, Grossman played the previous six years with Chicago, who selected him in the first round (No. 22 overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft. In 2006, Grossman led the Bears to a 13-3 record and their first Super Bowl appearance since 1985. That season, he started all 16 regular season games and set career highs as he completed 262-of-480 passes for 3,193 yards, 23 touchdowns and 20 interceptions. He also started all three postseason contests.

Grossman starred collegiately at the University of Florida, where he was the runner-up for the Heisman Trophy in 2002, and finished his career as the all-time leading passer in school and Southeastern Conference history.

PLAYER                     POS     HEIGHT              WEIGHT             NFL EXP.                COLLEGE

Phillip Buchanon           CB       5-11                 190                  10                    Miami

Shayne Graham            K         6-0                   205                  11                    Virginia Tech

Rex Grossman              QB       6-1                   225                  9                      Florida

-------------------------------------------

ES Staff Appended Edit 8/1/11:

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

August 1, 2011

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed unrestricted free agent tackle Jammal Brown and linebacker Horatio Blades. The team also signed six college free agents – wide receiver Isaac Anderson, linebacker Obi Ezeh, linebacker Eric McBride, defensive back Devonte Shannon, tight end Joe Torchia, quarterback Marc Verica, and defensive tackle Thomas Weaver.

Brown (6-6, 313) has started 71 of the 72 games he has played since the Saints selected him with the 13th overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft. In, 2010, his first season with the Redskins, Brown played in 15 games, including 14 starts.

Blades (formerly known as H.B.) is entering his fifth season with the Redskins since the team drafted him in the fifth round of the 2007 NFL Draft. Blades (5-10, 242) has played in all 64 career games, including seven starts, and recorded 97 career tackles (67 solo) and 71 special teams stops.

Anderson amassed 1,048 career receiving yards and two touchdowns as a four-year letterman at Wisconsin. He set individual-game career highs in receiving yards (114) and all-purpose yards (150) in a game against Minnesota on Nov. 15, 2008. Anderson attended high school at The Blake School in Minneapolis, Minn.

Ezeh posted 248 tackles (19.5 for loss), eight passes defensed, three sacks, three fumble recoveries and two interceptions during his career at Michigan. He was named a Freshman All-American in 2007, and he won Michigan’s Roger Zatkoff Award as the team’s top linebacker in 2008. Ezeh attended Catholic Central High School in Grand Rapids, Mich.

McBride was the 2010 Colonial Athletic Association Defensive Player of the Year in his senior season at Richmond. In addition, he was a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award, given annually to the most outstanding defensive player in the Division I FCS subdivision. In four seasons, McBride started at linebacker in all 54 career games and accounted for 446 tackles (192 solo), 22.5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks and four interceptions. He attended L.C. Bird High School in Chesterfield, Va.

-over-

Shannon had 461 tackles and 10 interceptions in his four-year career as a defensive back at Buffalo. He became only the fourth player in the 65-year history of the Mid American Conference to be named first-team All-MAC in four consecutive seasons. He exited Buffalo as the school's record holder in total tackles (461) and solo tackles (258). Shannon played high school football at Jeannette High School in Jeannette, Pa.

Torchia played tight end and special teams during his four-year career at Virginia. His best season came as a junior in 2009, when he caught 15 passes for 150 yards and two touchdowns. In 2010, he had nine receptions for 113 yards through four games prior to sustaining a season-ending shoulder injury. A native of Cold Spring, N.Y., Torchia attended Queen of Peace High School in North Arlington, N.J.

Verica, 23, was a three-year letterman at Virginia, where his 4,992 career passing yards are the sixth-highest total in school history. During his senior season in 2010, Verica completed 233-of-396 passes with 14 touchdowns, and his 2,799 passing yards ranked fourth in the ACC. He also set a single-game school record with 417 passing yards against Duke. Verica was born on March 26, 1988, and attended Monsignor Bonner High School in Drexel Hill, Pa.

Weaver played in 51 games at Villanova from 2007-10, compiling 106 tackles (53 solo) with 9.5 tackles for loss and three forced fumbles. Weaver started all 14 games for the Wildcats as a senior in 2010 and had a career-high seven tackles in a second-round playoff game against Stephen F. Austin on Dec. 4. Weaver attended Irvington High School in Irvington, N.J.

------------------------

Posted 7/30/11

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release                                                                                  
July 30, 2011

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced the following roster moves today:

The Redskins signed the following unrestricted free agents. Terms of the deals were not disclosed. 
PLAYER	        	POSITION	HEIGHT     	WEIGHT	        EXPERIENCE             	COLLEGE
Stephen Bowen	        DL		6-5		306		6			Hofstra
Chris Chester		OL		6-3		315		6			Oklahoma
Kellen Clemens	        QB		6-2		220		6			Oregon
Barry Cofield		DL		6-4		306		6			Northwestern
Donte’ Stallworth	WR		6-0		220		9			Tennessee
Josh Wilson		CB		5-9		192		5			Maryland

The Redskins signed the following college free agents. Terms of the deals were not disclosed:
PLAYER		POSITION	   HEIGHT	   WEIGHT  	EXPERIENCE	COLLEGE
Dante Barnes		DB		6-1		194		R			Norfolk State
Kevin Gidrey		FB		6-2		256		R			South Florida
Tyrone Grant		DB		5-9		176		R			Delaware
Corey O’Daniel	        G		6-6		307		R			Gardner-Webb
Kyle O’Donnell	        LB		6-2		240		R			Liberty

The Redskins signed the following exclusive rights free agent:
DB  Byron Westbrook

The Redskins placed the following players on the Physically Unable to Perform list:
LB  Robert Henson
S    LaRon Landry
S    Kareem Moore

The Redskins terminated the contracts of the following players:
P     Josh Bidwell
DL  Phillip Daniels
NT  Ma’ake Kemoeatu
C    Casey Rabach
OL  Mike Williams
WR  Roydell Williams
-over-

The Redskins waived the following players:
RB  Andre Brown
DT  Rashaad Duncan
S     Macho Harris
WR Taurus Johnson
RB  Shawnbrey McNeal
P     Sam Paulescu
WR Maurice Price
RB  Chad Simpson
S    Sha’reff Rashad

The Redskins also announced that they traded defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth to the New England Patriots in exchange for an undisclosed draft choice. Washington also traded quarterback Donovan McNabb to the Minnesota Vikings for undisclosed draft choices. 

eshead9sjpg.jpg

They're being really decisive with the cuts, esp. considering that they have only 60 some players under contract and they can have up to 90 right now. I suspect this is smart. With such a reduced training period you want to maximize your time preparing for the season versus evaluating and searching for those diamonds in the ruff. Hopefully, we can still pick up a few surprises. I was really happy to find armstrong, banks, Keiland, and Torrain last year.

They're being really decisive with the cuts, esp. considering that they have only 60 some players under contract and they can have up to 90 right now. I suspect this is smart. With such a reduced training period you want to maximize your time preparing for the season versus evaluating and searching for those diamonds in the ruff. Hopefully, we can still pick up a few surprises. I was really happy to find armstrong, banks, Keiland, and Torrain last year.

Yeah, same here. We may not be very good right now, but those four guys that you mentioned will be a big part of the success that we plan on achieving in the near future.

Not sure why we kept Westbrook.

He seems like the odd man out. Hall, Barnes, Wilson, Gomes, Landry, Moore, Horton, Atogwe. Then there's Brandyn Thompson, and any other CBs we possibly bring in.

However, I'm not at practice, so coach may have seen something.

He seems like the odd man out. Hall, Barnes, Wilson, Gomes, Landry, Moore, Horton, Atogwe. Then there's Brandyn Thompson, and any other CBs we possibly bring in.

He's a good special teams player.

I'm still spinning cheerios trying to figure out the deal with Donte Stallworth.

PR/KR maybe?

Camp body and Insurance. It's not like we don't have the room at training camp. We still have something like 20 slots available if we wanted to use them. There's no cap casualty if we cut him, so why not give him a shot?

Stallworth at his size and speed has a legit chance to be here. Not that it's a guarantee, but he is a guy that can go downfield.

Gaffney is more of a possession receiver.

Stallworth is a long time removed from being a productive WR. Personally, I think he's a longshot. Gaffney probably has a better chance because he's a reliable target.

Actually I think Horton will be the odd man out. He's slow, he's been injured and hasn't done much since his first year.

Oh **** !!

We waived Sha’reff Rashad ??

Damn, I guess we won't Rock the Casbah, then

Sha'reff don't like it! = ;< }

---------- Post added July-31st-2011 at 02:11 PM ----------

Actually I think Horton will be the odd man out. He's slow, he's been injured and hasn't done much since his first year.

I tried finding some up to date info on him and there is not really anything out there. I don't think he is slow and I hope he regains his form for obvious reasons.

Really? So our safeties are Landry, Atogwe, Moore, Gomes?

I could live with that. Horton has done nothing the last couple of years. His New Orleans game was his shining moment.

I tried finding some up to date info on him and there is not really anything out there. I don't think he is slow and I hope he regains his form for obvious reasons.

I think too many fans want to hold on to him as a sentimental favorite. He's shown nothing to deserve a roster spot. Hell, Reed has made more tackles than he has. I'd take Reed over Horton at this point.

I could live with that. Horton has done nothing the last couple of years. His New Orleans game was his shining moment.

Yeah, he was kind of a flash in the pan. I guess it depends on if we sign another CB in FA. If we do, then I would completely agree with you. But if we don't, Gomes has the ability to play CB, and we might use him there for the time being and keep Horton as depth.

Archived