Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do our offseason moves say about Malcolm Kelly prospects/hope?

NoCalMike

Malcolm Kelly seems to be the forgotten man right now as far as the WR corps goes. Probably for good reason as he has hardly played and is often injured. However I can't help but wonder what a healthy Malcolm Kelly could do for the WR corps.

He has the size, strength, hands and underrated speed.

I am thinking 2011 could be his last chance on this team.

Do you think the front office didn't go after a big strong possession WR because they think Kelly can be that man?

Do you think Kelly even factored in at all, or do think the coaching staff views him being healthy and productive as a "bonus" if it happens?

What about MALCOLM KELLY!?! Haha.

I think that this is really his make or break year. If he doesn't shine this year he's definitely gone. Look for him to be trying to step up to the plate every chance he gets. This could be the year we see what his true talent looks like if it's everything that it was supposed to be when we drafted him.

The trade for Gaffney worries me on Kelly.

On the face of it, presuming we carry 5 wide outs, your looking at Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong, Hankerson and Banks as the ones to make the active roster. All of which would leave Malcolm, hopefully finally over his injury problems and ready to show just why many thought he was the best receiver in his class in '08's draft, out in the cold. And out of the door as he can't go on the practice squad.

The Gaffney trade was nonsensical on a lot of levels for me. But if it ends up costing us a second young player out of it, it'll just be ******* ridiculous.

Hail.

Well we know Moss will make this team, and I suppose AA and Hankerson probably will too.

So that leaves 2-3 roster spots for these five guys: Kelly, Robinson, Paul, Gaffney, Banks, and a couple others. Hankerson tweeted yesterday that we had 14 WRs in camp. It should be a good competition.

Should be fun to watch this preseason. May the best men win!

Well we know Moss will make this team, and I suppose AA and Hankerson probably will too.

So that leaves 2-3 roster spots for these five guys: Kelly, Robinson, Paul, Gaffney, Banks, and a couple others. Hankerson tweeted yesterday that we had 14 WRs in camp. It should be a good competition.

Should be fun to watch this preseason. May the best men win!

Pretty much. Moss is the only real lock because of his bonus money. AA has a strong chance based on last year. You'd think Hankerson has a good chance, but 3rd round picks have been cut before. Every one else is fighting for a job.

They may have soured on Banks after his night club incident. Something was really strange about all that.

I think Malcolm Kelly hasn't done enough for us to even be having this conversation.

agreed. but he was kept around last year rather than being cut outright. i, for one, was stunned about that. doesnt that mean shanny likes him?

I think Banks is the odd man out, and Stallworth will make this team, he is still a great receiver.

Banks only real strength was the return game, he was kind of a liability on offense. And with the new rules moving up the kickoff to the 35, there will be more touchbacks and less returns (stupid rule btw, F U goodell), which will limit Banks' role. He probably wont make the 53 man roster, he was a great spark for us last year though.

I'm surprised people even think about Kelly as a possible NFL WR.

I think it's safe to say that Kelly and Thomas brought some excitement on draft day, but, next to nothing since. I'll be surprised if he makes the team at all.

If I had to guess, I think:

In:

Santana Moss

Anthony Armstrong

Leonard Hankerson

Probable:

Jabar Gaffney

Questionable:

Niles Paul

Dante Stallworth

Brandon Banks

Doubtful:

Malcolm Kelly

Terrence Austin

Aldrick Robinson

That said, Shanny doesn't seem to give a **** where you were drafted or what you make. He's going to keep the best guys on the roster. So, we're probably in for some surprises.

agreed. but he was kept around last year rather than being cut outright. i, for one, was stunned about that. doesnt that mean shanny likes him?

he has to ... i mean the kid has hands and size, all he needs now is some durability.

I know they guy who stabbed banks personally. Banks started the whole thing then got his boys to jump the dude just because he didn't take banks mouthing off lightly. While the guy was gettin jumped he took out his knife, and blindly started swinging, trying to defend himself cause he thought they were gonna seriously injure him. Terrible situation for all parties involved.

Back on topic... Kelly has done nothing to even be considered in this new regime. Hope he makes it but im not losing sleep

That Kelly is still on the roster suggests that someone still wants to get one last look at him. Normally someone in his position gets cut at the end of the season. If he hadn't been injured all the time, I think he just might have shown us something. This is deffinitely it for him and the competition may be too much to overcome even if he does do well in preseason. With 14 WRs on the roster that means 9 of them are probably going home. One or two of the younger guys might get stashed on the practice squad but Kelly won't be one of them. He has to beat out the vets and our three draft picks or he's gone.

The trade for Gaffney worries me on Kelly.

On the face of it, presuming we carry 5 wide outs, your looking at Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong, Hankerson and Banks as the ones to make the active roster. All of which would leave Malcolm, hopefully finally over his injury problems and ready to show just why many thought he was the best receiver in his class in '08's draft, out in the cold. And out of the door as he can't go on the practice squad.

The Gaffney trade was nonsensical on a lot of levels for me. But if it ends up costing us a second young player out of it, it'll just be ******* ridiculous.

Hail.

They will keep 6 if Banks is included since he's not really a WR.

They also didn't give up much for Gaffney. He's no lock to make the team.

Kelly needs to stay healthy first and foremost. If he does, he brings something unique that the rest of the roster doesn't. Height and he has the best hands on the team. If he can stay healthy he has just as much of a chance as anyone. But you can't trust the dude's health at all. First sign of problems on that front and he's gone. It's his last chance.

I'm surprised people even think about Kelly as a possible NFL WR.

I think the fact that he was put on IR instead of released says a lot about what the coach thinks of his NFL potential. Just because he missed some time due to injury doesn't mean he can't be a productive NFL player.

Archived