Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the most physically taxing sport you ever played/tried

shk75

So I consider myself to be a pretty good athlete, have played pretty much every sport and I am curious what you guys think is the most tiring sport. For me it is no contest, boxing. Like I said before I consider myself to be in good shape and I play hours and hours of basketball/tennis/football without any problem.

However, I tried out boxing for a little bit and the first spar session I had I was dead after the first round and the round only lasted 1:30 minutes. I continued boxing for about a year and while I was able to go 4 rounds of 3 minutes I would still be physically exhausted after each fight. Not only that, the physical wear would destroy my mental focus. I have never played another sport where your mental ability suffers so much because of how physically exhausted you are.

Wrestling, no contest

Good one, coach wanted me to wrestle in high school but I thought it was a little too gay lol so I never tried it but everyone who has ever wrestled says it is the hardest sport they ever played.

Soccer.

I've played sports my whole life...soccer is by far the most physically taxing.

Interesting, I played for one year in high school, and while I sucked, I did not think it was that tiring. I mean don't get me wrong it is not easy but I felt like it was easier to get in a flow physically.

I tried out wrestling a year in high school and the coaches said practice STARTED after a 3 mile run outside

There is a respectable boxing studio in town where I live. I went in once to see if he would train me. First thing he said was to go run 10 miles and we will start. I ran two blocks home and sat back down.

Soccer.

To be more or less constantly running for an hour and a half you need to be in supreme shape. And try training at a high level with a pro-club. You get a whole new appreciation of just how physically fit those guys are. I had a 2 week trial at 17 with Rochdale, who were at the time in England's 4th divison, and not fully pro. I thought I was fit, playing for my school side on a Saturday morning, a senior team Saturday afternoon, my Sunday morning side, and as an under-age player for a men's side on a Sunday afternoon. Those 2 weeks with the pro's all but killed me. I could barely walk when I was through they run me that hard and much. I didn't make the cut, and just ended up playing to a high amature standard. One of those 'what might of been' story's.' But I certainly got a new appreciation of the work those guys put in.

Save maybe for hockey, there's NO fitter sportsman/ woman than a pro soccer player.

Hail.

its a tie between wrestling and MMA for me....I wrestled from age 5-18 (turned down a partial scholarship to go to EKU because the college that offered it to me did not offer a Fire Science degree) Wrestling at a high level is taxing in all aspects. After college I wanted to get back into some competition so I took up Kickboxing, then Jiujitsu which transitioned to me trying MMA. MMA was just as taxing physically and mentally as wrestling but the damage to your body was way more.

Now Im starting to run road races, and I am doing the tough mudder (www.toughmudder.com) and I think I am gonna try a triatholon.

I ran track, shorter races.

That 3 miles is just a warm up.

I would think with track it's implied you'd have to run a large amount.

There is a respectable boxing studio in town where I live. I went in once to see if he would train me. First thing he said was to go run 10 miles and we will start. I ran two blocks home and sat back down.

Yea I managed to run the whole distance but another hour and a half in a gym with no a/c and practicing grapples/holds begins to wear you out.

It's swimming for me. Though I don't know if I'd call it physically taxing so much as just plain exhausting.

I have no idea how water polo players make it through a game.

I agree,as does my son...I thought wrestling and running were great fun.

Wrestling, no contest

This.

I never wrestled in HS or college but I train a lot of BJJ and we drill takedowns all the time and have a wrestling workshop once a month w/ collegiate wrestlers and wrestling is taxing as ****.

I've played football, soccer, softball, trained in boxing and BJJ (still do) and what little wrestling I've done has been the toughest hands down.

Rugby is the most physically taxing sport I've personally played. 10X more taxing than football. The first time I got in a game I thought I was going to pass out after 5 minutes...and I was in good shape. Although, I would imagine wrestling would be much tougher.

The most physically taxing exercise, I guess you can call it that, would be Erg tests for rowing. Basically you get on a ergometer (rowing machine), set it for 2000K meters and see how fast you can do it. I used to pull in the 6:30's in high school.....and would throw up violently and uncontrollably for the next 20 min. I would literally be incapacitated for an hour following the test. They usually have one at most gyms. If you can break 7 minutes, its really good.

Like boxing, martial arts going one on one is exhausting (makes me wonder how a boxer goes 12 rounds or indeed 15 in the old days). Same with the likes of Muay Thai, absolutely brutal although I have never tried it. Sometimes in the martial arts class I go to we do floor work which obviously has a link to wrestling and that will exhaust you pretty quickly no dout about that!

As for soccer, played it for years and cant say its that exhausting. If you are a defender for instance and play to your formation you get plenty of opportunities to sit in at the half-way line, not constant running at all. I dont know if anyone that plays soccer on here has ever played the shortened field version of 5-a-side (or may be 6 or 7 a side?). Now that is exhausting!

Archived