Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 FA/LOCKOUT/UDFA Tweets from TK, Jsteelz, LL56 and others **MOSS/COFIELD/STALLWORTH/WILSON/BOWEN/CHESTER & OTHERS AGREES TO DEALSl + JARMON TRADED TO DEN FOR GAFFNEY/MCNABB TRADED TO MINNY/HAYNESWORTH TRADED TO NE + RABACH/PD93/KEMO & OTH

c4man5282

Wait taylor mays has been released..or will be released

Cut reed asap and horton at that as well

HUGE fan of Mays...

I followed that player like he was the second coming of Sean Taylor. He was sooo impressive in college, that I wondered if he juiced. He would come out of no where and drill a player, dead on the ground. One second, I would see a WR / RB come off a tackle and BOOOM! Taylor Mays just clocked the hell out of that player.

He has the exact same problem that Laron had out of college. He's a headhunter, and poor in coverage at times, because he's looking for the hit.

he would be a great backup to Laron, especially if Landry can coach him up a bit.

Crossing fingers, but I doubt the skins would trade for him.

49ers committed $16 mil in 2011 to Akers, Rogers, Goodwin, Whitner, Edwards, Williams. Raiders committed $16 mil in 2011 to Michael Huff.

the raiders LOL...

---------- Post added August-4th-2011 at 10:11 PM ----------

Taylor mays isnt is good as you guys think.. hes fast.. damn fast.. but from the 9er fans i spoke to he couldnt tackle for ****.

well the 49ers have such a surplus of talent why not cut a second year player..... he's probally just too good

I'm not making it out as if he's going to start.

I think Mays is a better option at depth than doughty.

It would be one of those belichick moves. Get a player with no risk and see if he does well in our system.

Taylor mays isnt is good as you guys think.. hes fast.. damn fast.. but from the 9er fans i spoke to he couldnt tackle for ****.

But you can coach technique, you can't teach speed. Not saying we should, but Soup makes a good point, this might be worth a try. Some kids just need a little humility, especially highly touted rooks that got a lot of praise, to make them settle down and take the job seriously, applying themselves and studying the game.

I agree with you here - Mays looks for big hits and does not wrap up. he makes some highlight reel hits but also whiffs too much. Add to that he is a liability in coverage.

He is strictly an in the box SS and special teams guy in the NFL IMO. If he gets cut and is available on a cheap contract he would be good depth behind Landry but I can see him getting a better offer somewhere else. I will say that his type of safety - the big hitter who plays the run well but is not that fluid in coverage is fast becoming extinct in the NFL as more and more teams look to spread formations and the passing game over tight power based run first offenses.

I agree with you here - Mays looks for big hits and does not wrap up. he makes some highlight reel hits but also whiffs too much. Add to that he is a liability in coverage.

He is strictly an in the box SS and special teams guy in the NFL IMO. If he gets cut and is available on a cheap contract he would be good depth behind Landry but I can see him getting a better offer somewhere else. I will say that his type of safety - the big hitter who plays the run well but is not that fluid in coverage is fast becoming extinct in the NFL as more and more teams look to spread formations and the passing game over tight power based run first offenses.

This is my point, we have Moore and Doughty on the roster as backups. Why not risk signing a player like Mays, seeing how well Laron is doing. I remember the knocks on Laron from the draft gurus when he came out of college and he worked out well.

If it doesn't work out for whatever reason, Moore / Doughty will still be in the open market. I doubt any team will pick up those two

This is all hypothetical, and I'm certain the redskins won't even sign him. But I really hope Mays gets on a team like Baltimore, the pats or steelers.

I don't think he's getting released, but they are shopping him.

Wondering what he'll go for. They spent a 2nd drafting him, and he's proved he's not worth that. Maybe a 4th or 5th? I might be ok with spending that to get him, since he is still young and has some potential. A solid back up for dirty 30.

with as much under the cap as we are i would expect an extension for Landry soon...

That's not a sure thing, nor is it a smart thing to do. Just because you have some cap room it doesn't justify extending anyone with the RFA tag in place. They can't afford to hold out anymore and that means you can get 2 more seasons out of LL before you have to pay him that huge contract. He's gonna get that Huge Deal anyway. His agent isn't going to negotiate anything less for LL. There actually isn't any rush to sign him. He's already on the PUP. He's missed a lot of games already. It's more likely that they take a wait and see approach. The wait and see approach is better for the long term then to sign him because you have some cap room. It's a well known fact that talented players play harder during the final years in their contracts. So, essentially you can do that to them now for 2 years. If the Redskins have 10 mill to expend on a signing bonus this year, they will have it next year as well. So, no rush. The top side is that if he gets past the Achilles Issue, which we will all know after the first 4-5 games, then you can throw him that extra signing bonus and apply it to 2011. They will wait and see what happens. Not likely they will extend him when he's not 100% healthy and hasn't passed the HGH test yet!

Say what you want, but B. Edwards didn't drop many "LAST" year !!! I think for 3.5 i would of given him a chance here, especially with how much under the cap we are.

Yeah, 3.5 million and a one year deal seems like a bargain. Wouldn't have minded us making that deal.

i really dont understand fans who have cried for a new approach to FA and a new approach by the redskins in general. Then they come here and want braylon , or franklin, or whoever else got those 1 year deals. If we signed any of those players it would not benefit us presently or in the future. We need to develop OUR receivers and the way you do that is by giving them playing time. Had we signed someone like Edwards hankerson, paul, AA, or whoever makes the team would see their reps go down considerably. Then he would just look for a bigger contract next year as it is a 1 year contract, and i seriously doubt that Edwards would be the difference in getting a SB or not. So stay the course keep developing young talent that we have drafted and signed and well be fine. I love what the team has done so far in FA and the draft and if we keep the course i see this team being a CONSISTENT contender in the next 2-3 years.

i really dont understand fans who have cried for a new approach to FA and a new approach by the redskins in general. Then they come here and want braylon , or franklin, or whoever else got those 1 year deals. If we signed any of those players it would not benefit us presently or in the future. We need to develop OUR receivers and the way you do that is by giving them playing time. Had we signed someone like Edwards hankerson, paul, AA, or whoever makes the team would see their reps go down considerably. Then he would just look for a bigger contract next year as it is a 1 year contract, and i seriously doubt that Edwards would be the difference in getting a SB or not. So stay the course keep developing young talent that we have drafted and signed and well be fine. I love what the team has done so far in FA and the draft and if we keep the course i see this team being a CONSISTENT contender in the next 2-3 years.

Edwards is relatively young and has proven he can play. Waiting for late round WR's to develop isn't rebuilding...it's continuing to suck. I heard the same arguments last season with Kelly and Thomas. We can't sign any competition because it could eat into their playing time. So what? If they're not good enough to get on the field, than they aren't good enough. If Hankerson is really the player we all hope he is, signing Edwards isn't going to keep him on the bench.

I'd love to drop Doughty for Mays. I know Doughty is consistent and reliable, and a good character guy...but some players are worth taking the chance on.

I'd rather not cut Doughty. Cut Moore or Horton or whoever else is at the bottom of the chart if you want to pick up Mays.

Mays needs some work from the ground up, that was true coming out of college. He's obviously a freak athlete though. In the right scheme he'd be excellent. And LaRon seems to be having persistent Achilles problems...

Archived