Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTOP/NFL.COM/pft (merged): Redskins' Haynesworth to miss four days of camp due to trial

@DCGoldPants

http://wtop.com/?nid=41&sid=2453922

Judge scolds Albert Haynesworth's lawyer

Monday - 7/11/2011, 10:34am ET

209420.jpg?filter=wtop_article Albert Haynesworth rejected a plea deal. (AP)

Neal Augenstein, wtop.com

WASHINGTON -- The defense attorney in Albert Haynesworth's misdemeanor sexual abuse trial has been reprimanded by the judge for the Redskins player's absence in court for a preliminary hearing.

A. Scott Bolden, Haynesworth's attorney, told D.C. Superior Court Senior Judge Patricia Wynn he believed an earlier ruling specified that Haynesworth was allowed to waive his presence since the case is a misdemeanor.

Haynesworth has been indicted for groping a waitress at the W Hotel.

After discussions at the bench about scheduling an Aug. 23 trial date, Bolden told the judge he "will make every effort given the uncertainty of the NFL work stoppage to ensure my client can be here."

Wynn made clear she plans the trial will start on time.

"This is his first priority. I would expect he'd be here."

Outside court, Bolden says he was mystified by the judge's comments requiring Haynesworth's presence, but acknowledged prolonging the disagreement would have been useless.

Asked if Haynesworth is any closer to a plea bargain, Bolden said, "They haven't made us any new offers, after we rejected the first one."

Shortly after his indictment, prosecutors made public a plea offer that would have Haynesworth plead to simple assault.

In court, prosecutors said they intended to call ten witnesses in the trial, which is likely to take three days.

"Ten witnesses, for a misdemeanor. Apparently that's not too many for the government, when the defendant is Albert Haynesworth. They overcharged it, and they're going to over-try it," Bolden said.

I hate this guy!!! I hated the signing then, but even I did not predict all this nonsense.

I prayyyyyy we get lucky and he goes to jail giving us authority to collect our $$ back.

I'm not sure how him going to jail(very unlikely) would help us collect money. It may help void his contract though. Although just reading the article it sounds like the only thing Big Al is guilty of is getting bad legal advice from a lawyer that Dan Snyder paid for (indirectly)

My guess is, that extra large Alberto, was in fact on his way to the courtroom when he spotted a nice little piece of grass outside the courthouse, and simply laid down for a nappy.

As a matter of fact, the Sheriffs should check outside the building he's probably asleep under a scrub.

Last year, Albert Haynesworth couldn't practice for a portion of the Washington Redskins' training camp because he could not pass a conditioning test.

This year, he could miss as many as four days of camp in August -- assuming the lockout has ended by then -- because he will be in court.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

The defensive lineman's misdemeanor sexual abuse trial is scheduled to begin Aug. 23 in Washington, D.C., and attorneys said Monday that the prosecution is prepared to call as many as 10 witnesses in the case, The Washington Post reported.

Haynesworth, who has had a string of legal problems since the Redskins lavished a $100 million contract on him during the 2009 offseason, is accused of fondling a ****tail waitress at the W Hotel in D.C. on Feb. 12.

The trial had been scheduled to begin Monday in D.C. Superior Court, but with so many witnesses potentially involved, Haynesworth's attorney A. Scott Bolden and prosecutor Heide L. Herrmann agreed to change the date.

Haynesworth did not attend Monday's proceedings, just as he didn't attend a May hearing, and that did not go over well with Senior Judge Patricia A. Wynn.

Regardless of a training camp conflict, Haynesworth would be expected in court, the judge said, calling the case "his first responsibility."

The Redskins reportedly won't release the defensive lineman, but rather hope to trade him, with the Philadelphia Eagles mentioned as one potential destination. Coach Mike Shanahan suspended Haynesworth for the final four games of the 2010 season for conduct detrimental to the team.

In addition to the sexual abuse case, Haynesworth had faced a misdemeanor assault charge. In May, a judge dismissed the charge after the player reached an agreement with the man who said he was the victim of a road-rage attack in February.

At one point last year, Haynesworth was juggling as many as four court-related matters, including lawsuits from a bank, an exotic dancer, a man injured in an automobile accident and complaints from his ex-wife that he wasn't paying her health insurance or their children's bills.

Haynesworth's conduct at Redskin Park also has frustrated his coaches, with defensive coordinator Jim Haslett telling ESPN Radio in St. Louis in June that Haynesworth "can do almost anything he wants. He doesn't want to do anything. To me, that's the issue.

"He's one of those guys you walk in a meeting and you tell him, 'Put down the phone.' The next day' you have to tell him to put down the phone. The next day, you tell him to put down the phone.

"You tell him, 'Don't read the newspaper in meetings.' The next day' you have to tell him the same thing. It doesn't stick; it's an everyday thing."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820ba3b0/article/redskins-haynesworth-to-miss-four-days-of-camp-due-to-trial?module=HP_headlines

Archived