Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DailyMail:OJ Simpson admits to stabbing Nicole Brown Simpson

Ellis

Well, it was a weird time, and people certainly were taking sides for emotional and tribal reasons that had nothing to do with OJ. It was like America ripped off the race problem scab in that moment, and everyone's true feelings and resentments about racial issues had a chance to come out for a while.

But I also suspect that there was more to most of those conversations than just a reasonable white guy saying "looking at all of the information we have and the circumstances, I think the jury got it wrong..." :whoknows:

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 10:20 AM ----------

I doubt that is even possible on a message board. Maybe in person.

Shakes on you then. Lucky Penny next Tuesday.

Yep. And no one thinks you are a racist for believing that.

I don't think he is, because that trial was a sham. But yeah, other people will and did. I know I kept my mouth shut when the verdict came in.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 01:31 PM ----------

I dont know about that. The NQ has nailed quite a few whopper stories in recent years and has gained substantial credibility as a result.

See John Edwards affair

Huh. Really? Any others?

Err, I don't know a single person in the world who doesn't doubt OJ's innocence to some degree.

And I have never seen a single person be called a racist merely for doubting his innocence.

I have seen people be called racist for saying blatantly racist things WHILE expressing doubts about OJ's innocence, but that isn't the same thing at all. And I don't feel the need to apologize to those people.

:whoknows:

These days... for the most part, you may be right. But at the time of the trial, there were PLENTY of people claiming his innocence and calling those who thought he was guilty racists.

Predicto maybe not in your circle of friends, but lots of people think O.J. didn't commit those murders.

Well, of course. That's the Alan Keyes factor. Lots of people don't think we landed on the moon, lots of people think Bush was behind 9/11, lots of people think Obama was born in Kenya. You have to discount a certain percentage whenever you talk about any issue. Even those people probably know, deep down, that OJ did it, but they won't admit it because they are using the OJ issue to express a different emotional problem that they have with race issues, the government or the justice system in general.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 10:44 AM ----------

Shakes on you then. Lucky Penny next Tuesday.

How do you know about Lucky Penny? :ols:

That is the first place in the world that my daughter ever went. We stopped there on the way home from the hospital after my wife delivered and got breakfast.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 10:48 AM ----------

These days... for the most part, you may be right. But at the time of the trial, there were PLENTY of people claiming his innocence and calling those who thought he was guilty racists.

Oh, absolutely. Like I said, it was an emotional time. The way that trial played out, it stopped being about OJ halfway through, and it turned into a national referendum on the police and their treatment of minorities. People took sides based solely on emotional reasons.

But that was a long time ago.

Well, of course. That's the Alan Keyes factor. Lots of people don't think we landed on the moon, lots of people think Bush was behind 9/11, lots of people think Obama was born in Kenya. You have to discount a certain percentage whenever you talk about any issue. Even those people probably know, deep down, that OJ did it, but they won't admit it because they are using the OJ issue to express a different emotional problem that they have with race issues, the government or the justice system in general.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 10:44 AM ----------

How do you know about Lucky Penny? :ols:

That is the first place in the world that my daughter ever went. We stopped there on the way home from the hospital after my wife delivered and got breakfast.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 10:48 AM ----------

Oh, absolutely. Like I said, it was an emotional time. The way that trial played out, it stopped being about OJ halfway through, and it turned into a national referendum on the police and their treatment of minorities. People took sides based solely on emotional reasons.

But that was a long time ago.

My wifes uncle lives there. Ive been a few times. I like real Diners. So I always look for them when I travel.

Huh. Really? Any others?

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/50942

(Just the first article I saw...) Though, they still have plenty of the alien donkey with 3 heads stories too, so where they have gained some legit credibility on some big stories, they are still a tabloid in the end.

1. Finding Ennis Cosby’s Killer

2. Walking in O.J. Simpson’s Shoes

3. Jesse Jackson’s Family Tree Grows

4. Bob Dole Was Once Frisky

5. Gary Hart’s Political Ship Sails

6. The Enquirer Catches O.J. Again

7. Rush Limbaugh Comes Clean

Adding in the big one of breaking the Edwards affair, and subsequent love child

Well, it was a weird time, and people certainly were taking sides for emotional and tribal reasons that had nothing to do with OJ. It was like America ripped off the race problem scab in that moment, and everyone's true feelings and resentments about racial issues had a chance to come out for a while.

But I also suspect that there was more to most of those conversations than just a reasonable white guy saying "looking at all of the information we have and the circumstances, I think the jury got it wrong..." :whoknows:

This, to me, is a very astute observation on your part Predicto. As I remember back to those days, I have to say that I think you are correct. It was a time when America kind of discovered racial inadequacy again. It had always been there but in a different way. For the first time, you got the sense that a racial segment had power and they exercised that power, so to speak. It was as if it didn't even really matter the right and wrong of it. It was really not about O.J.. It was about a much bigger picture.

It was good and bad.

Good observation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2006908/OJ-Simpson-confessed-Nicole-Brown-murder-Oprah-TV-interview-planned.html

Everyone who has been accused of being racist for doubting his innocence... pat yourself on the back... but don't expect an apology.

:ols:

I knew you were just being sarcastic and not a 2 watt light bulb as some probably thought.

A lot of whites could not imagine why a lot of The Blacks were celebrating the verdict due to the overwhelming evidence. I believed it was because they as a race, never personally experienced the generational injustice in courts where whites received slaps on the wrists or no court cases at all for similar or worse crimes with overwhelming evidence also in front of the jurors.

I still saw it as Celebrity winning the jury over, with a touch of a temporary lapse of reasoning, which almost happened in the Menendez Brothers where female jurors were swooning over the "cute" murderers err defendants at the time.

The DA's office made the first major blunder in trying the case in downtown LA instead of nearer his own neighborhood. He was looking at the media circus and decided the larger courtroom and more media exposure was more important than justice for Nicole and Ron. Downtown LA almost certainly guaranteed a mostly black jury and Brentwood would have guaranteed a mostly white jury of Simpson's economic peers/neighbors.

Except the DA didn't make the decision to move the trial:

http://www.metnews.com/articles/2010/perspectives050310.htm

I guess you could argue they should have fought it.

I knew you were just being sarcastic and not a 2 watt light bulb as some probably thought.

A lot of whites could not imagine why a lot of The Blacks were celebrating the verdict due to the overwhelming evidence. I believed it was because they as a race, never personally experienced the generational injustice in courts where whites received slaps on the wrists or no court cases at all for similar or worse crimes with overwhelming evidence also in front of the jurors.

I still saw it as Celebrity winning the jury over, with a touch of a temporary lapse of reasoning, which almost happened in the Menendez Brothers where female jurors were swooning over the "cute" murderers err defendants at the time.

How can you make such a thoughtful post on this one subject when all the rest of your posts are so ridiculous?

I suspect it is because you are black and don't have to try to understand someone else's point of view when it comes to racial issues. Try putting yourself in the shoes of gay people, or immigrants, or liberals, or whoever, before you post. You might find out that the "other side" has legitimate concerns too, or at least understandable ones.

Err, I don't know a single person in the world who doesn't doubt OJ's innocence to some degree.

And I have never seen a single person be called a racist merely for doubting his innocence.

I have seen people be called racist for saying blatantly racist things WHILE expressing doubts about OJ's innocence, but that isn't the same thing at all. And I don't feel the need to apologize to those people.

:whoknows:

Can we somehow dig up the old Simpson thread?? I'd bet your wrong.

See, I'm not speaking for all whites, but i got that, and i totally reject it.

To combat inequality, you celebrate a very real murderer's manipulation of the justice system and "acquittal".

Hell yeah, boy. That'll sure fix things up.

Again. Heard, understood, and rejected. It's a piss poor excuse.

~Bang

That's a interesting question. He can't be tried again due to double jeopardy. A suit over a murder. hmmm.

I started looking it up and realized that they already won a $30M plus suit against him. Though, I also learned he has paid very little to them and that they lost a subsequent suit for book royalties since then too.

See, I'm not speaking for all whites, but i got that, and i totally reject it.

To combat inequality, you celebrate a very real murderer's manipulation of the justice system and "acquittal".

Hell yeah, boy. That'll sure fix things up.

Again. Heard, understood, and rejected.

~Bang

I did too but that was the case, in a lot of peoples own words from Philly to Oakland.

Heck Chris Rock made a skit about it on the Bring the Pain tour, where he reenacted blacks shouting we won after the verdict and his response was we won what?

I did too but that was the case, in a lot of peoples own words from Philly to Oakland.

Heck Chris Rock made a skit about it on the Bring the Pain tour, where he reenacted blacks shouting we won after the verdict and his response was we won what?

I gotcha, and i have no doubt you rejected it as well.

I follow where you're coming from.

~Bang

It was interesting reading it again. I wasn't controversial in that thread. Did I just come back from a Mod Sponsored vacation? :D

And it was ironic seeing the reactions of the previous verdict with those, identifying themselves as white, reacting the same way blacks, who justfiably felt wronged by the court system, did back in the day.

Archived