Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is a reasonable age gap for a couple?

I like the rule of divide your age in half then add 7. I have never heard it before, but I like it. For me that would be roughly a 21/22 year old. At 27 I wouldn't date someone under 21 and right now I probably wouldn't date a 21 or 22 still in college.

Though ideally I like to think age doesn't matter, it was pretty creepy when I heard about that dude from Lost marrying a 16-year-old. I guess when you think about it, a 50-year-old man and a 16-year-old girl are in completely different stages of their lives. I think it's best to be in a relationship with someone whose in a similar stage of life as you, or at least someone who was recently in or will soon be in the same stage as you.

Does that make sense? Because that was some terrible sentence structure.

I'm 20, so by the rule everyone's been talking about I could date a 17-year-old. But I think I'd feel pretty odd about dating a high school girl at this point in my life.

So someone 80 could date someone 47?

Ask this expert:

R22qD.jpg

Anna Nichole told me this great joke:

Men want women who measure 36-24-36. Women want men who measure 99-100-101.

99 years old. 100 million dollars. 101 degree temperature.

IMO, 25 is the magic age for this type of problem. see at 25, you are not too old to date a 18 year old if you really wanted to, and by 25 you should be smart enough to realize what you do and do not want from a relationship, so there is no ceiling on age you can date, as long as both of you are happy.

If you are under 25, the oldest person you should date is 40. under 25 is too young to be dating someone out of your age range, and some kids are still struggling with support myself vs. parental support, and they might look at an older partner as more of a security blanket, then realize 5 years later they did not need that type of person in their life. Also, the 90 year old man and 23 year old stripper model never works because they are both after different things, and usually have no mutual interests.

So if your 25 or older, there is no gap, do what makes you happy.

If your 24 or younger, don't date over 40, your young, have some fun and settle down later.

Though ideally I like to think age doesn't matter, it was pretty creepy when I heard about that dude from Lost marrying a 16-year-old. I guess when you think about it, a 50-year-old man and a 16-year-old girl are in completely different stages of their lives. I think it's best to be in a relationship with someone whose in a similar stage of life as you, or at least someone who was recently in or will soon be in the same stage as you.

Does that make sense? Because that was some terrible sentence structure.

I'm 20, so by the rule everyone's been talking about I could date a 17-year-old. But I think I'd feel pretty odd about dating a high school girl at this point in my life.

Yeah like when I was 19 and I was dating a 17(we started dating in high school) that was ok cuz she was a senior and I was early into college. College can be the killer of relationships though which is what happened. I think it would just be awkward to be in college and go after high school girls.

Archived