Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com, Cooley: Burress could go from prison to Redskins' roster

s0crates

I did not see this posted yet.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8206b6da/article/cooley-burress-could-go-from-prison-to-redskins-roster?module=HP_headlines

Forget Donovan McNabb or Albert Haynesworth for a minute. What are the Redskins going to do at wide receiver? Santana Moss is a free agent, which pretty much leaves Washington with, well . . .

"I'm sure we'll try to sign Santana Moss back, but we need a big-time receiver," tight end Chris Cooley said on Tuesday's "Cover Two Podcast". "We've got to have someone step in and fill that position."

Washington drafted Miami's Leonard Hankerson, Nebraska's Niles Paul and Aldrick Robinson from SMU, but there remains a void in the "big-time receiver" department. Sidney Rice, Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards will be free agents. So will Plaxico Burress, Terrell Owens and maybe Chad Ochocinco.

Of the latter three, Cooley said: "It's tough when you get guys like T.O. or Chad, who have been what they are in the NFL for so long. In my opinion, Plaxico Burress probably is a guy that's humbled such as Michael Vick was, a lot, in the same situation. If you were going to take a risk on a guy that's a good player, he's probably the guy you're going to take a risk on.

Click link above for the full article

Thoughts?

:munchout:

After watching recent interviews of Plax, I'd be down with it as long as he has production incentives in his contract and gets equal competition. This is based off a notion that his mindset is somewhat more humble and he is committed to football after spending jailtime, and can mentor the younger guys better than he could 3 years ago. I think he can contribute well still but would only sign him if he isn't a negative locker room presence and is there for the team and not just himself.

I think he could play well, but I don't think the Redskins are a Burress away from going somewhere. So pass and use the guys we got and see who rises.

---------- Post added June-21st-2011 at 10:20 PM ----------

I didn't read that headline carefully enough and thought Cooley was in prison too!

Hahhaaa

It won't happen, but yes please. At least do your job, and give him a workout.

Then again....I was one of few who wanted Vick right out of jail.

---------- Post added June-21st-2011 at 10:30 PM ----------

And before the "holier-than-thou" bs posts start, what exactly did he do wrong? He shot himself in the leg like a moron. He didn't even threaten anyone like Sean Taylor in the atv incident.(RIP).

And what's the difference between Plax and Brandon Banks this offseason?

Bring him in for a look immediately.

It won't happen, but yes please. At least do your job, and give him a workout.

Then again....I was one of few who wanted Vick right out of jail.

---------- Post added June-21st-2011 at 10:30 PM ----------

And before the "holier-than-thou" bs posts start, what exactly did he do wrong? He shot himself in the leg like a moron. He didn't even threaten anyone like Sean Taylor in the atv incident.(RIP).

Bring him in for a look immediately.

What did he do wrong? He took a loaded gun into a public place and almost shot a door man. Thats pretty bad imo

After watching recent interviews of Plax, I'd be down with it as long as he has production incentives in his contract and gets equal competition. This is based off a notion that his mindset is somewhat more humble and he is committed to football after spending jailtime, and can mentor the younger guys better than he could 3 years ago. I think he can contribute well still but would only sign him if he isn't a negative locker room presence and is there for the team and not just himself.

You want Burress mentoring our young receivers? Seriously?

I want no part of him as a Redskin but if we did sign him it would be a major plus if he managed to just show up to meetings and practice on time and ran the routes called in the huddle.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2011 at 02:32 AM ----------

So you dont think taking a loaded gun with you when you go clubbing is "wrong" ? As for shooting yourself in the leg with it moronic does not begin to cover it ....

I also fail to see any comaprison between Brandon Banks who was stabbed by someone else and who was not carrying any weapon. Banks wrong time wrong place.

is the title misleading to anyone or did I just not read enough?

Yeah, I think it is. Don't blame me though, blame Steve Wyche at NFL.com.

If you read the article, it looks like Cooley is just talking about our WR situation in general. Although Cooley does speculate about availabe free agents, and he does mention the possibility of "taking a risk" on Burress, it is hard to see how Wyche gets to the title, "Burress could go from prison to Redskins' roster." That is not quite what Cooley said.

Luckily for us, Chris Cooley is not in charge of personnel decisions anyway.

I'm against bringing this guy in not because of what he was convicted of because it really wasn't of the same level of scumminess and overall human filth of a crime than say Vick. Rather I'm against it simply because we should be looking to the future and build this roster accordingly. Signing a 34 year old receiver who wasn't all that great in his prime anyway seems like a dumb idea.

is the title misleading to anyone or did I just not read enough?

The title isn't misleading at all. Read as written it says Cooley says Burress could sign for the Redskins and the site is NFL.com.

IMO we have too many WRs to take a guy who I saw on interview on Total Access say he carried the Giants team to a SB win. Regardless of if he did or not he didn't come across to me as being humbled enough for us to take a risk given what we're trying to do.

By the time we're good he won't be.

The title isn't misleading at all. Read as written it says Cooley says Burress could sign for the Redskins and the site is NFL.com.

IMO we have too many WRs to take a guy who I saw on interview on Total Access say he carried the Giants team to a SB win. Regardless of if he did or not he didn't come across to me as being humbled enough for us to take a risk given what we're trying to do.

By the time we're good he won't be.

1) Yes, the title is misleading. Cooley didn't say that Burress could come to the Redskins; he said that, of those three, he would choose Burress. That doesn't say that he could go to the Redskins anymore than asking Stephon Heyer who could come to the Redskins. It's not the OP's fault; it's crappy writing.

2) Anyone who wants Burress, and this is not ad hominem, is not in favor of this team moving forward. It's really that simple. We have how many guys who deserve a shot at receiver? Seriously?

...2) Anyone who wants Burress, and this is not ad hominem, is not in favor of this team moving forward. It's really that simple. We have how many guys who deserve a shot at receiver? Seriously?
Agreed. Some of us are holding a glimmer of hope that the Skins finally are rebuilding, thinking long-term. We are not concerned with winning a couple more games in 2011.

Filling up roster slots with 30+ aged players would be a dumb thing to do for a team trying to rebuild.

I'd rather re-sign Santana if not Jacoby Jones of the Houston Texans would be make an nice adddition to our receiving core.

Jones is 6'2 ,210 lbs,26 years old he already knows our offense,and he also plays special teams. I like Cooley just as much as the next guy,but I'm glad he doesn't make personnel decisions.

The media must love Cooley. Here is my prediction: Burress could go back to prison. It is hilarious still, he shot himself and had to go to jail.

But if filling up roster slots with old players is bad, why is reinking Santana good? Are we in win now mode, or not? If we are three years away, Moss will be 35 by then. Food for thought. I am a big Moss fan, I just dont like him in the #1WR role. He is finesse a player to be expected to catch the high hard heat being led into Mike running the staple of the WCO, the slant. I want a guy with big hands and size. Yeah I know, Hank. He will need some time.

I think we all know we are not in full rebuild mode. Dont be deceived by trading down. We werent in rebuild mode last year, and we wont be this year. Watch us go after free agents. Its in Danny's nature. He covets winning and has no patience for a proper rebuild.

Agreed. Some of us are holding a glimmer of hope that the Skins finally are rebuilding, thinking long-term. We are not concerned with winning a couple more games in 2011.

Filling up roster slots with 30+ aged players would be a dumb thing to do for a team trying to rebuild.

There is a diff between filling up a roster with old players and signing a guy who was prob the best WR in the league before he got in trouble for a cheap price.

There is a diff between filling up a roster with old players and signing a guy who was prob the best WR in the league before he got in trouble for a cheap price.
I don't see the difference, nor do I agree that Plax was probably the best WR in the league.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2011 at 09:04 AM ----------

...But if filling up roster slots with old players is bad, why is reinking Santana good? ...
It isn't if we are rebuilding.

Don't want him. I think he can still play, but he's not a long-term solution at WR for us. We just drafted 3 WR's, we have Armstrong, and Kelly. Burress would help, but he'd cut into playing time for the younger guys. I'd be ok with bringing Moss back since he already knows our system. Burress would have to learn everything.

What did he do wrong? He took a loaded gun into a public place and almost shot a door man. Thats pretty bad imo

I agree he did something wrong but where did you get the "and almost shot a door man" response from? I never heard that about the incident. Can you verify that? I say that we bring him in and do an interview to see where he is at. Then work him out becaause I think hye can be a good one or two year addition to the roster. It would give us a threat that we haven't had in a long time. But it would have to be at a incentive laced contract and not a big time contract that Rosenhaus and Burress want. If they want that then I say pass.

Serious question here. Are you high?

Plaxico Burress was the best receiver in the league when he went to jail for bringing a handgun into NYC and shooting himself?

Andre Johnson, Wes Welker, Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Eddie Royal, Anquan Boldin, Roddy White, Dwayne Bowe, Steve Smith, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens. He was better than all these guys?

Don't want him. I think he can still play, but he's not a long-term solution at WR for us. We just drafted 3 WR's, we have Armstrong, and Kelly. Burress would help, but he'd cut into playing time for the younger guys. I'd be ok with bringing Moss back since he already knows our system. Burress would have to learn everything.

I completely agree. I think Plax still has something left in the tank, but he is not the future of this team. One guy is not going to get the Skins to the playoffs. I would like to see Moss resigned because he can still play and knows the system. My prediction: Moss, Hankerson, Armstrong, Paul, Robinson, Banks. I would like Kelly to comeback and be dominant, but I don't think his legs will allow it. I hope I'm wrong. I see the Skins also signing a FA that replaces either Paul, Robinson or Banks.

I think Hankeson is going to be something special. His size and work ethic are going to be a deadly combination.

Archived